PDA

View Full Version : Holbein Duo water soluble oils?

acadianartist
06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I know many people have talked about water soluble oils here, but I did a search and very little has been said about Holbein Duo water soluble oils. I am presently using the artisan wm oils and am wondering if the Holbein Duos would be better. I'd go out and buy a tube to try it out except that I can't get it locally and I don't want to order a bunch only to find they're no better than the Artisan brand. Which, btw, I'm not unhappy with, just wondering if there's something better out there. I do find that the Artisan wm oils are too thick sometimes, and don't spread well on the canvas. I don't really want to switch to traditional oils because of the messy clean up (and 2 children in the house), but may end up doing so if I don't find a satisfactory water soluble version.

Any advice?

dbclemons
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
"Better" is a relative term that varies by artist, but I recommend the DUOs. They're very consistent in their viscosity and over all performance, and do everything I expect them to. They have a different range of pigment choices than Artisan (no cadmiums, for example,) so you may have to use both brands anyway.

DAK723
06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes, there is no reason not to buy a couple tubes online, just to compare. Get a couple colors that you don't have in the Artisans, so you won't feel like you are wasting money. As David says, you will probably use multiple brands anyway in the long run.

Don

acadianartist
06-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Hmm, ok, worth a try I guess. I hate to pay for shipping for just a couple of tubes though. I might be able to find it in a city nearby which I will be visiting soon... and then of course there are the Open Acrylics which I am dying to try since I do like acrylics, but sometimes they are impossible for PA... Seems like there is a medium for every occasion these days! It's expensive process to try them all.

jennf
06-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi Chantal,

I use the Holbeing DUOs and I really like them. I find them much better than the W&N Artisan paints. The Holbein ones are creamier; I find the Artisan can be sticky.

If you can't get them at a local store, send me a PM. I'm in Ottawa and can pop a tube in the mail to you.

Jennifer

dspinks
06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I have tons of Artisan, and they are very stiff. I've found with the new WN wm thinner plus wm medium I can get a satisfactory creamy consistency, but I have to admit that I really like the small starter set of Holbein DUOs that I had for ages and finally cracked open a short while ago. So far in everything I've read comparing the different wm oil brands, Holbein DUOs have come out on top.

Debra

acadianartist
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for your comments Debra and Jennifer - and thanks so much for your kind offer Jennifer! I'll see if I can get them in this area first.

Everyone seems to confirm my belief that Holbein Duo WM are better. Now to find some!

catspajamas
01-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I am in Vancouver, and just got the Duos, Omer DeSerres carry them, I am also starting with oils and comes from the acrylics.
Good luck.
Cats

dcorc
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Cats, you're replying to a discussion that's 3 years old.

I'm also moving this thread to the WMO subforum.

Dave

karenlee
01-22-2011, 06:15 PM
oops! sorry about that.

catspajamas
01-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Sorry Dave, next time, I will check the time stamp. LOL
Cats

dcorc
01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
No problem, Karen, Cats - I tend to flag up that threads are old, where I think members might have missed that, just to save people the effort of replying to something thinking they are helping the original poster(s), when its "ancient history".

As you say, its always worth having a look at the time-stamps of the posts in the thread.

If you have something that adds to the discussion, its perfectly OK to post on an old thread. :)

Dave

briansommers
02-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I have been painting abstracts for about 3 yrs now and have always used acrylics and now want to get into water based oils.

I want to do a piece that has a lot of wet into wet and be able to smear, blend and mix on canvas. Acrylics dry to fast for me to process my next move on the painting. I have a somewhat slow process time and I'm thinking this is where I need to go.

Since my local art store caries the Holbein Duo - I'm assuming from reading this thread, It can't hurt to start with some of these.

Crystal1
02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Brian, this post is nearly 3 years old! You might want to check some newer posts that include the new Cobra WMOs. Good Luck.