PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher June 2 - June 8

Pat Isaac
06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Good morning everyone,

Glorious day, the sun is shining and it is warm....I sure can feel muscles I never thought I had after 4 days of yard work. However, all is planted and cleaned up, just a few more plants to go in.
Crunch time is here so I will be at my studio all week....
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

AnnieA
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Good afternoon, Pat! Glad to hear the weather's great where you are. It's the same here today, or trying to be, after several gloomy days. Every year I get so impatient with this sort of weather, then long for it's return when the 90-degree days hit. :lol:

I've noticed something odd in the OP Forum and here in OP Talk. The little checkboxes at the beginning of each thread - the ones that will take you to your last spot in the thread - aren't showing up. They haven't been for me for some time now. It might be something on my end, but I think not, since they work in all the other forums. Just thought you'd want to know.

Your show is coming up pretty quick now, isn't it? How's it all going?

Pat Isaac
06-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Hope your weather turned fine. I never get tired of the warm weather.
The little boxes are there, but they only appear when it is a new thread or a new post.

Yes, the show is coming soon and I am on crunch week. 5 paintings to complete certainly by the middle of next week so I will have time to frame. They are coming along. I'll post some updates.

Pat

AnnieA
06-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Pat: I know the little boxes are only supposed to be there when there's a new thread, or a new post in a thread. For me, they aren't showing up when they're supposed to at all - I've seen none in the last couple of weeks.

Whew - sounds like you still have much to do to get ready for your show. But I'm sure you'll get it all done in time. I can't wait to see some pictures from the show. Best wishes, Pat. :)

Pat Isaac
06-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Don't know what the problem is as I see the boxes.

Yeah, still a lot to do and there will be pics. I think I'll have enough work even if I don't get all these finished.

Pat

Shirl Parker
06-03-2008, 11:10 AM
ha ha ha I never knew there were boxes

AnnieA
06-03-2008, 02:26 PM
So you see the little checkboxes, Shirl?

Oh wait, I just checked the OP Studio, and now they're back again. I'm glad! They'd been missing for a couple of weeks now, and it's really hard to follow the threads without them. It was so odd, since the OP forum was the only one in which they didn't show up. The other forums I visit here at WC all continued to have them. Oh well, just another burp of the digital universe, I guess. :lol:

Shirl: I didn't notice those checkboxes either until about a year after I arrived here. They make it so easy to keep track of where you are - you don't have to search through post after post that you've already read in long threads to find your place.

Pat: I'm really glad to hear you're on top of what you need to get finished for your show. I'm gonna go check your thread in the Studio now... :)

Pat Isaac
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
:lol: I never really paid attention to those boxes until you mentioned it, Annie.
Learn something new every day.
Well, I THINK I am on top of it.....:eek:

Pat

Shirl Parker
06-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, there is definitely something crazy going on about those boxes. I never knew about them until today, so now of course I am looking at them diligently.

I get a notice of a new post and I follow the link to look at it. The last several posts that I have already read are marked like they are new, along with the really new one. I close the window, go back to the email notification and follow the link again. The boxes are all changed to not be new any more.

Later, another email notification comes in, and it's deja vu all over again. All the old posts are marked as new again, along with the really new one.

?????

Scarefishcrow
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
If I am understanding the checkboxes that you are talking about an look something like: [< 1 2 ...Last],

they only show up IF the thread has multiple pages. The thread will be multipage depending on how you have your "My WC!" control panel thread options set. In the options you can set the number of Posts that are displayed per page to 10, 20, 30 or 40. If you have the number set higher than the number of posts in the thread, then the boxes will not show up.

Assuming everything is working correctly, then no boxes at the start of the opened thread means you could simply hit home or end to go to the first or last post in the thread respectively.

You may have also noticed that in the listing of threads under each subforum that, again dependent on how your options are set, those same numbers are displayed as clickable jump points in parenthesis at the end of the thread name!

Does that make sense? Am I talking about the same checkboxes you are ANNIE, SHIRL?

If not, let me know and I'll look around and see if I can find a better explanation!

BILL

Scarefishcrow
06-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were talking about. Is it the small blue box with a checkmark at the start of the thread name??

If so, they are showing up for me and, if I understand correctly, they only appear if there are UNREAD posts that in the forum. Again, you can set an option in your WC! control panel that determines whether or not threads with new posts in them appear in BOLDFACE type or not. I don't recall an option setting for the checkboxes though!

BILL

Pat Isaac
06-03-2008, 06:50 PM
You are so smart, Bill....and you are probably exactly right. I can't believe I wasn't aware of these boxes before. Actually I probably saw them, but really didn't pay them no mind.

Pat

Shirl Parker
06-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Well, you are not exactly right. Not on my computer anyway. The boxes are light blue if the post has been read, and yellow/gold if the post is unread or new.

But that's NOT my point at all. I get an email saying there are new posts. When I open the thread, posts that I have ALREADY read are showing as NEW posts with yellow/gold boxes along with the one or more posts that are really new. If I close the thread and then open it again right away from the email link, all the posts are now marked with blue boxes as having been read.

Later I get a new email with notification of another new post. All the same messages I had just read previously have been changed back to having yellow/gold boxes, as though they were new.

It's weird, but "quite frankly my dear[s], I don't give a damn", because I know which ones I've read anyway.

Scarefishcrow
06-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Shirl, Thanks for the explanation. I haven't been using the email notification and probably will be now with guiding, so I'll try to see if I can figure out what's happening. I really appreciate having things like this pointed out since I want to try and learn as much as I can about the forum user interface so when these questions pop up we will have a handle on them.

Thanks again for the info! PC gremlims live on, and on, and on, and on.....
BILL

Pat Isaac
06-04-2008, 07:10 AM
I get email notifications also, probably why I never really noticed the boxes...Shirl you are too funny....:lol: :lol:

Pat

Shirl Parker
06-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Whatever that particular gremlin was, it seems to be back to normal today. New is new and old is old. (and today I feel like the latter)

AngelaF
06-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi Pat, Annie, Bill and Shirl.

Shirl thanks so much for the coupon to Joe's Cheap Art Stuff, I used it at 11:30 P.M. that night and just made it under the deadline. Though I probably shouldn't be buying anything, I now wish I had ordered a few more things with that great shipping deal, do they do that often?

Sorry I am so absorbed in working with the CP stuff right now. I am trying to build an animal/pet related portfolio right now and just have gotten into the CP for some of these pieces. I will definitely have to do the June OP Challenge to help add to that portfolio!

I am committed to one mural panel -- just looking at it as an acrylic painting exercise caught in middle of other stuff I am doing. Thanks so much for those who gave me input. So much for my strength of character, heh, at any rate after that it will be a resounding "NO" for any other distractions from that source, and I will be more viligent on many fronts of what I want to do with my time artiscally from now on!

Raining horrifically here right now, don't really need that. Working on my art most every business week day right now, housework, yardwork, etc. given so many hours a day, then that's it. Feel behind on much of that, since still have stuff to get from the basement and then clean basement as part of grand redo/getting organized -- but tomorrow is another day!

Have a great week, Angela

AnnieA
06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Shirl: I'm really not certain about checkboxes on new/old posts with email notification, since I don't use email notification. I'm talking about the checkboxes that show up when one opens, for instance, the OP Studio forum first page. If you navigate to the forum manually (not by clicking a link from an email - I'm not really certain if that makes any difference in how the forum displays), you'll see that threads that have any new replies, or that you haven't read at all yet, have the title bolded and a little checkbox just before the title of the post. I'm not really certain what's going on with the email checkbox problem, but wonder if there's been a general problem with checkboxes at WC.

Bill: Yes, the checkboxes I refer to are the ones that occur right at the beginning of the thread title. They're light blue-gray for me - I haven't ever seen the yellow-gold ones that Shirl mentioned. No, they're not just on threads with multiple pages. They should (and now do) also show up for new threads that may as yet have not had any replies. Once one has read the entire thread, the checkbox will go away the next time the forum list is refreshed, or the next time one visits the forum. But if a new reply is posted to a thread one had read through previously, then the checkbox will appear once again, and clicking on it will transport you directly to where you left off the last time. It's a very handy system and really helps on really long threads.

Pat: I'm sure you really are right on top of it and that you'll do great with your show. :)

Angela: Maybe you're getting the storm we had in the NW just yesterday. It was really pretty surprising - it poured for several hours. :( It's better today though, so let's hope it won't last long for you either. Are you working on the portfolio with galleries in mind? Or? And for goodness sakes, tell us what you got at Cheap Joes!?!?!

starblue
06-04-2008, 02:10 PM
The check boxes seem to be a good idea but how they work isn't clear. I don't get email notifications, so they're more critical for me to tell me what's new in a forum. New or modified threads are boldfaced (I don't get different colors, they're always blue for me), but if I click on the checkbox, it often takes me to a later message in the thread than the first one I haven't read yet; this is particularly true if I haven't read a thread in several days. I wonder if the checkbox doesn't take you to the first unread message in the thread for that day, but I haven't bothered to investigate. If several days go by, even the boldfacing isn't reliable, and I end up just looking at the dates of the first and last posts of a thread to decide whether there's something new in the thread and I should open it. Maybe some of this depends on whether one subscribes to a forum? I've never understood what that means, I just read the forums I'm interested in. I also delete cookies between login sessions for security's sake, so if correct WC! behavior depends on having persistent cookies, it's not gonna happen. It's shocking how many reputable commercial websites you can go to and, along with their own cookies, even they drop tracking cookies.

Shirl Parker
06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Angela, I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of the shipping sale. I can hardly believe that I couldn't think of anything to order!!!

Annie, you must mean the box in front of the text "View First Unread". You can click on the box or the text to get to something new, but I don't know about the reliability right now.

I like getting the emails because it tells me if there are new posts without having to go searching. I subscribe to the threads for the chat and sketch in OP, DP, and Acrylic. I just wish I didn't have to sign up for new ones each week. Especially, when sometimes the host is delayed in opening up the thread, and I have to keep checking for it. I wish they had a weekly thread in Watercolor, but they don't, and the daily chat thread is very cliquey and a lot of blah blah. When I post a comment there, I feel invisible.

AnnieA
06-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Bob: I think what happens regarding the checkboxes is that if you open up a WC forum, but don't read any of the threads that have checkboxes, the next time you open up that same forum, the checkboxes act as if you did read the threads earlier, and will start with what's new since the last time you entered the forum. If that makes sense... :o I'm not certain I was clear there. It does seem there must be some sort of time limit on the checkboxes too, as you note. At any rate, it seems to be an encouragement to be very thourough in one's reading each time one visits the forum, or else the checkbox link will likely skip over things next time you visit. I can understand your uneasiness about cookies. Companies are only as good as the people who work for them - one bad apple...etc.. I know I received some spyware once while visiting the chat room of a supposedly reliable site. But deleting cookies each time you log on must be a big hassle. My browser allows me to turn off cookies entirely, but then manually enter exceptions for the sites I want to allow (and save those settings). Shouldn't that be safe?

Shirl: I think we're talking about the same thing, but I don't see any text that says, "go to first unread." Instead, if I hover my mouse over the clickbox it says, "go to first new post." I wonder if any of this could be a difference between the different browsers that people might use. I can see why using the email notices works well, but in a way, it seems like just one more window to open to me. I guess maybe the different preferences are based upon what people first get used to, as are so many things in life. :)

Shirl Parker
06-04-2008, 04:03 PM
OK, Annie, I'm with you now. You are talking about a checkbox in front of the thread BEFORE you open it, which isn't there if there is no new post, and I'm talking about a checkbox and text that's there AFTER you open the thread.

I mostly use Safari browser on my Mac, but I also have a PC with IE7, and it's the same either place.

AnnieA
06-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Shirl: Yes, I'm talking about the checkbox (or...box with a checkmark might be a better way to describe it, since "checkbox" really has a different meaning) that appears just before the titles of some threads (those with new posts) when you first open the main OP Forum page. (I don't really understand what checkboxes you're talking about, but let's not confuse things any further! :lol:)

Shirl Parker
06-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I agree your "checkbox" definition is the same as mine, a box with a check in it.

Pat Isaac
06-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Good grief, I feel so clueless about all these checkboxes. I have learned a lot from all your posts but I get emails, so I'll stick with that.
I hope you get your portfolio together Angela and I hope the panel works out well for you. It is hard to set time for things.
I took days off last week to help get out garden in, and do a little each day as far as the house chores go. This month is really hard because of the show, but normally I can balance everything. I also have several rehearsals for our upcoming outdoor concert this month, but they are at night so that works.So what did you buy, Angela.

Pat

starblue
06-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Annie, I just logged back in this evening (after being logged in earlier today, then logging out); there was at least one thread that had a response to a post I made, yet it had no "view new post" checkmark box on it, nor was it boldface--so much for the theory that it's somehow keyed to the day. Also, I could maintain a cookie exception list, I just haven't handled them that way.

I now return everyone to their regular program.

AngelaF
06-05-2008, 07:08 AM
I did not not buy anything too exiciting at Cheap Joe's, just stuff I felt I needed -- a pencil sharpener (on sale), an electric eraser and eraser shield, and some replacement colors of prismacolor pencils. I now am wishing I had bought some Ampersand Pastel panels, which I like very much or both OP and CP. It was one dollar shipping, this is less than I would have to spend to go anywhere around here to buy this stuff. I have to go at least 35 miles to get really good stuff at an Ultrecht or Dick Blick store -- at least they are there, but I only go when I have to go near them for something else. Hobbyy Lobby and Michael's are only 12 miles, but they are small and don't carry alot of what I would like.

Annie, I am just trying to get 15 to 20 good pet/animal related pieces done so I can do a website and a brochure. I do want to aim for pet portrait commissions -- so am concentrating on those right now.

Have a great rest of the week all, Angela

AnnieA
06-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Bob: Do you think the issues you're having with the checkboxes might be a result of deleting that login cookie?

Angela: Sounds like some good purchases. I think that's terrific that you've decided to pursue animal portrait commissions. I've enjoyed seeing your horse portraits lately. Best wishes! :)

Shirl Parker
06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Deleting cookies is never a good idea. You should eat them all, especially the chocolate chip ones.

wabbitt
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Deleting cookies is never a good idea. You should eat them all, especially the chocolate chip ones.

Hear Hear! (is that the right synonym?)

Excellent advice. However, I break the cookies in half first to let out all the calories.

I have no idea what checkboxes you guys are talking about. This is all I've ever seen whether I'm logged in or not:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2008/76057-view.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
You don't have them, Julie.....you must have eaten all the cookies....:lol:
Pat

Shirl Parker
06-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Here is a checkbox when you are looking at the list of threads, circled in Red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2008/113427-checkoutside.JPG

And here is the checkbox when you are inside the thread wondering which is the new post, circled in Red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2008/113427-checkinside.JPG

and here are the little box indicators in yellow and blue that indicate if a post has been read, circled in Red

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2008/113427-checkcolors.JPG

wabbitt
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
You don't have them, Julie.....you must have eaten all the cookies....:lol: Pat

Pat's right, I ate all my cookies. :smug:

[wipes the milk mustache off on my sleeve]

starblue
06-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Annie (and others), I've noticed that WC! creates 2 cookies; one appears and disappears with logins and the other persists between WC! sessions. By deleting the second one perhaps I am losing the info needed to precisely reestablish my read/unread status. Since I don't know what the cookie's being used for, though, I delete it when I'm not logged in. I think WC! is safe enough, but other sites aren't. For example, if I login to pay off my credit card, not only does the bank put its own cookie out there, it puts several tracking cookies placed with expiration dates 10 years into the future. I don't like the idea that some advertising company is keeping track of how I'm using my credit card for the next 10 years. Now you'd think a reputable bank would be very careful about what it reveals, and it does use SSL sessions and so forth, but why do they then need to have some ad company track my behavior beyond what's needed to pay my bill this month? Deleting them plugs that hole. Deleting them is a slight hassle in IE but it saves on worrying about them. When one exits Firefox it even asks if you want to delete cookies, so I'm not the only one who's concluded getting rid of them is not such a bad idea. As for WC! finding new posts is not a big deal, but my approach does mean I could miss some, particularly if I've been away awhile.

Real cookies are great--let's see, Oreo's (do you pull them apart before or after you dunk them?), homemade chocolate-chip hot from the oven, ... yum! But the people that came up with the recipe for the WWW's cookies were hackers rather than chefs, trying to compensate for the fact that the Web can't remember anything. Rather than biting the bullet and designing a truly secure web, they hacked it, and the hack is now so universal it's virtually impossible to replace it with something better. Cookies are a good example of the principle that "being adequate is the enemy of doing it right".

Pat Isaac
06-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh, those boxes...:rolleyes: didn't know about those inside the thread either. Learned something more about the boxes today. Thanks for the diagram Shirl.

Eat the inside first and then dunk.....Is there another way????

Pat