PDA

View Full Version : Hubby's first bead...

mistymade
07-12-2002, 10:20 PM
Today my hubby made his first bead! I think I may have created a monster or maybe a new bead maker!

For his first bead he attempted to make an eye ball (he was inspired by a Jinx Garza bead -awesome artist!) He had some basic help from me, he actually got a nice round eyeball on his own, then he tried to make the corners of the eyes and I'm not sure what happened from there (snicker, snicker). Well, his white glass rod got stuck to the eye ball and he tried to pull it off and the whole darn bead came off the mandrel! LOL (sorry)

I was so proud of him for trying, but it was just so commical! He is now trying to convince me that "if the torch was pointing downward, then he would have had more control over the decorations!" LOL again!

I think he could easily become addicted to beadmaking!
Misty:D

b2beads
07-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Well, Misty, he seems to have an eye for this (sorry, hyuk, hyuk). He did have quite a good eye going before mucking it up. Isn't THAT the story of my life... He's off to a great start. B2

Miss Kate
07-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Oh Oh Misty - look out. He'll want to hog the torch....well maybe you can convince him to buy you that lynx...... and that way he can use the hot head all he wants...:evil:

You should've seen my very first bead, I mean "Plant stick". really cute in the potted geraniums...

Miss Kate

JavaGirlBT
07-12-2002, 11:12 PM
I like the fact that your hubby is making beads! The first workshop I ever took, I dragged DH along hoping he'd become as addicted as I knew I would be. Didn't work, though. He liked it - it just wasn't his "thing".
-Ellen

Ann*S
07-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Misty,
He started off great. It's still interesting. You'll have two torches there before long.
Beth,
New babies in your tiny head..too cute.
Ann
:cat:

Kathy Champion
07-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Hey Misty...another thing to share with your DH! Mine made some amazing globby thing (his description) tonight while I was out. It's in the kiln now...if he gives permission I'll post tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing,

Kathy

anasazistudios
07-13-2002, 07:36 AM
:clap: for your hubby! A new glass addict. That means another torch, more tools, and more glass. Always a good thing :evil:

Elizabeth

BAM
07-13-2002, 07:46 AM
Misty that's great that hubby has joined in, what fun.
Betty

Lori Robbins
07-13-2002, 08:10 AM
That's an A++ job of you to get him to even try it. Such a challange on his first try. Well Done!

Mike E etc
07-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Misty, he is a man and as any man knows, you can not do a propper job unless he runs down to the hardware store to get the right tool. I feel a new torch in your near future if you work this right. :D
Mike E

NewCreation
07-13-2002, 09:18 AM
I have to get in on this one. My Hubby made his first beads a couple weeks ago. He was frighteningly pretty good at it. He seemed to enjoy it, but hasn't made any moves toward the torch yet.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2002/Mattsbeads.jpg

margaretz
07-13-2002, 12:50 PM
I wish I could get my boyfriend near the torch. I think he thinks I'm crazy for having this errr...small infatuation with glass and fire. And your husband may be onto something with wanting to point the torch downward. I have a friend that uses a Phantom that tilts it downward just slightly for doing detail and fuming work. That way his hands can get close to (and on top of ) the piece without worrying that he'll get burned. Hope my description made sense. It works suprisingly well.

anasazistudios
07-13-2002, 12:56 PM
Wish I could get hubby to try the torch. He will make jewelry with the beads I make, but can't get him to try it.

Elizabeth

DonnaB
07-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Well, I know I am supposed to be looking at the bead, but I gotta say, your husband is a handsome guy!

Okay here is the thing, it is good and bad when the husband/significant other/partner/etc joins you in the lampworking hobby. It happened early on in our household and we fought for torch time, BUT I know that I also got to upgrade to a minor burner sooner, got my kiln sooner, etc. The best part of all is the first time he had to clean his own beads, he went straight to the hardware store to buy a Dremel! After I had been trying to save us forty bucks by cleaning them by hand...

Good and bad, but overall, over time, it is good. You guys are on your way!

Red*Dog*Designs
07-13-2002, 02:58 PM
In a way, I am glad that Richard hasn't shown any interest in trying to make beads. He is great about helping me with my Oxygen tank and he built a killer workstation for me. Oh, once when I had a L O N G stringer in the making, he helped by taking one end of the glass.

His interest is in woodworking (he buys tools too) so not a word is uttered about the tools, glass or anything else I buy.

Works for me !

mistymade
07-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanks everyone! Hubby is blushing! (especially at DonnaB ;))
I think I may have a new beadmaker in the house and a new torch in the near future!!! Yeah!:D
(he will definately inherit the hot head!):evil:

Misty:D

macbeth7
07-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Hi Misty (& hubby!),

Wow, ambitious first bead! :clap: Time to go torch shopping!

:cat:
Beth

AMR GlassWorks
07-15-2002, 06:40 AM
My hubby made his 1st bead yesterday. He did a small marbled bead that turned out rather well for a 1st bead. He was very proud of himself! If I could ever figure out how to resize my pics I'd show ya'll!!

Anne Londez
07-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Ha I knew it, I need a boyfriend/husband... if only to haul the tanks around...:crying:
Congrats to those who tried :clap:
Anne