06-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Oh my :eek: what ever could this challenge be about? :eek: :wave: :lol:

Let's get wet and wild

Welcome to our June Challenge

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2008/39040-Bookofmelusine.jpg

Meet Melusine :wave:

Do you know who she is?

Well here she is again.

What ever is that thing hanging off behind her?

Yes, I do believe it's her tail. :lol:

And another image of her

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2008/39040-Melusinediscovered.jpg
Read all about her here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melusine and water-faeries are our challenge this month.

That means water, a tail, some wings and add a little misty atmosphere, and maybe a lovesick man and you are for sure a winner in this challenge.

Show us what is in the water from your neck of the woods/springs/ocean, the list goes on and on.

Expand on the challenge as your artistic muse allows with any of the following
Naiads; Sirens; Camenae; Crinaeae; just let us know who it is. ;) :thumbsup:

Waiting for the first one, best of luck, Nickel :)

trafford
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I woke up this morning thinking of a line from an old poem "There are faeries at the bottom of my garden......" and then I read the June challenge Seems like I should give it a try. You have the best challenges in this forum.

eyepaint
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Hmmm - gremlins at work again? I thought there were two more posts from earlier today? Anyhow, do you think paintings of algae and pond scum would qualify? LOL :)

artbyjune
06-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Great challenge Nickel. I'll 'muse' on it!!

tyree
06-03-2008, 08:02 PM
another interesting challenge....yea nickel!!!!!! tyree:heart:

Nickel
06-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey we are all so creative a bunch.......:D I can't wait to see what you all come up with! :)

My mind has been racing all the places my water fairy might go, either her or him :) By the way are him fairies, gremlins? Honest, this morning I woke up and they had harvested a hive of lightening bugs and had them used as lights for their kitchen beehive hut. The fairy was cooking cookies of course. ;) She did this so she could lure children. I must be mixed up with the Kebbler Elves. lol but they do live in a tree, must be the next neighborhood.;) I just haven't decide what ever it is she'll do with the children other than make them fat. :) Honest, I don't dream like this all the time :eek: :wave: It must have been because of that freaked-out flying fish I painted last night. :evil: till later, have a great day! Nickel

trafford
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Ye gads! What an action packed life (?) Melusine lived. Here's some more.

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/folklore/folktales/articles/melusine.html

blissful-imagination
06-06-2008, 02:10 PM
what a neat challenge. Can't wait to get started :)

bayoudragon
06-06-2008, 08:38 PM
oooh, I so want to do this one! Must find the time! :D

Szigane
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Count me in on this one too. This is a really interesting challenge~

LeeLynch
06-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I love the subject matter, will join in given the time!

artbyjune
06-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Nickel and all!!!:p

I did a couple of small quick ones today. Watercolours.

1. Mermaid with her human child

2. seahorse-dragon

Sorry about the photo quality.

I hope I'm in the right challenge. Couldn't decide if my pics were wet & wild or something fishy:lol: I was inspired by the story in the link by Trafford.

trafford
06-08-2008, 07:51 AM
June I thought Melusine was a little repelent but your paintings are so beautiful and airy that she must have had some good days. I don't know which one I will try, am sort of drawn to the pond and fountain ladies. Thanks to Nickel I'm getting a crash course on water-faeries.

Nickel
06-08-2008, 04:45 PM
June the colors you chose are fantastic and sooooooooo romantic. Just the type of colors to cast a lovely veil of enchantment and magic. I just love your seahorse-dragon and mermaid with her human child. Lots of excitement and visual activity for inquiring minds. Lol, I did kind of overlap the mini fish inspiration with water spirits.

Hi Everyone, this is going to be a blast to see everyone’s take on this challenge. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just have fun and follow your muse. :thumbsup:
It's great to see some new faces :wave: welcome!

When I read this, "Melusine was a little repelent but your paintings are so beautiful and airy that she must have had some good days." I couldn't help but giggle and think about this super bowl ad. I just love this girl. Enjoy!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoKMDFNOF9s

artbyjune
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey Nickel, the ad is great!!

bayoudragon
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, here's mine. Melusine retreating to the solace of the underwater world. I decided to go with freshwater, complete with bluegill. :D

I thought I'd go ahead and post the line drawing, as I may not get a chance to do a colored version. I'm up to my eyeballs in summer camp right now. :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2008/73972-Melusine_post.jpg

BUT, I can share this colored one. This is a hippocampus I did last year in colored pencils.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2008/73972-hippocampus_post.jpg

Any C&C welcome. :)

-BD (Ang)

Nickel
06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Ang! Sweet Melusine, the fish swam right up to her. :thumbsup: She is beautiful! I do hope we get to see her again when you do the colored version! Enjoy your summer camp! I don't know what a hippocampus is, but this looks like a horsecampus. :eek: I love it too! Thank you for joining us! :clap: :clap: :clap:

artbyjune
06-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Bayoudragon, I love your Melusine, especially the dragon-type tail she has. Also I've never seen a seahorse like that before...so good...brilliant combination and allusion.

bayoudragon
06-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Thankies, June and Nickel! :D

I can't promise anything, but I have a break from summer camp 4th of July week. I still have to work, but it should be MUCH calmer. :)

trafford
06-29-2008, 06:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2008/42757-water_sprite.JPG

Here is my water faerie/sprite. Finally figured out how to get the image up thanks to eyepaint.

trafford
06-29-2008, 07:05 AM
.....and I couldn't resist......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2008/42757-masulene.JPG

Nickel
06-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Trafford I love them both :D and thanks to EP for her help :thumbsup:

The colors in the first one are just perfect. I wonder what she's going to do with those flowers she is picking. ;)
The second one is perfect just as she is. :D

Wonderful, wonderful work! :thumbsup:

:wave: Nickel

trafford
06-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Thank you Nickel. The water sprite might float the flowers in the water as I don't think there are vases in her world, though there may be some urns.

eyepaint
06-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Trafford - that sprite is so cute! Your bathing mermaid is funny!!! So happy I could help.
Nickel - you're welcome. I'm excited and confused that you can see your own forum. The guides and moderators in All Media Art Events can view all of WetCanvas EXCEPT AMAE! Several of us have had to create a second user account just so we can get in to the party.

Cheers,

Nickel
06-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Nickel - you're welcome. I'm excited and confused that you can see your own forum. The guides and moderators in All Media Art Events can view all of WetCanvas EXCEPT AMAE! Several of us have had to create a second user account just so we can get in to the party.

Cheers,

EP, the only word that comes to mind is

cattywompus

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cattywompus

lol,

All I know is to hang in here, it should be down-hill for the IT team. (maybe)

eyepaint
06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Nickel - topsy turvy cattywompus for sure!!

Happy Canada Day for tomorrow to my fellow Canucks in the Classical forum!!

Cheers,

Nickel
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Happy Canada Day back! and to all Canucks reading this. :)

Just a short and sweet message that I've not finished my wet & wild painting.
I need to get on it. ;) But in the mean time it is time for the next set of programs to begin. I'll be catching up on this one and we have some really nice surprises in store for July and August. I'm sorry about the site and the misadventures it is causing some but should hopefully be corrected by those in charge. I am off to start the July/August Art Heritage and hope we can all meet again there or in another program. Thank you all for your friendship and participation. :) Nickel

Szigane
06-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Phew! Finally, just barely made it. Between the thunderstorms and me not feeling well, a month got decreased to more like a week and a half to work on this. I got too ambitious, too, and ended up having to sacrifice half of the image (this always happens when I have deadlines). I also haven't drawn in a while and it's been almost a year since I've done any figure drawing, so the torso and head are rather awkward, haha.

I might go on to edit it more, adding in the stuff I wanted. I've uploaded a larger image (still not fullsize, though) on my photobucket in case anyone wants a looksee. I really wish it would have let me upload the full size... the details get a bit lost in resizing it. The water poured out of the jug looks a lot better fullsize and even in this larger image you can't see it well at all. :(

Larger image: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/kohinata/melusine.jpg

trafford
07-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Very lovely Szigane. She looks so serene.

azulparsnip
07-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Yipee- we are back on!!!
Trafford the water sprite and lonely mermaid are delightful.
Szigane - your maid is a water wonder
Bayoudragon - Melusine looks like a force to be reckoned with

Here's my drawing - I hope to start cutting the linoleum tonight, eventhough it is no longer June. I've drawn from the photo Nickel posted in the beginning.

Nickel
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Szigane I love the spirit of your water maid! She is awesome! You can tell she is in complete control! :thumbsup:

Azulparsnip, the skin tones are beautiful. So romantic! :)
That is one of my favorite bathers. I hope to see your lino cut!

I did manage to

put more paint on my watermaid, but her face is weird, and still don't have a camera yet but will soon I hope, then you can see her. :heart: Nickel

Szigane
07-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the comments. I can't wait to see the other pictures... the linoleum looks like it'll be awesome!

All the pics are really nice to look at and these challenges are lots of fun to participate in too. I think I've found my new favorite section of the site. :heart:

artbyjune
07-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Beautiful and awesome work, everyone. I like your strong drawing, Azul. And your so serene painting, Szigane. I love your humourous drawing and colours in the water-sprite Trafford.

azulparsnip
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Finally here is my lino cut inspired by this thread. Just got it done last week. Has a few shortcomings but by this time I am just glad to finish.

artbyjune
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Beautiful and STRONG image!! I am toying with the idea of ordering a lino cut set to try. I've never tried it. I see there is a special soft kind of 'lino' to try too. Have you tried that?

azulparsnip
12-03-2008, 09:15 AM
thanks June, the speedy cut stuff is like cutting soft butter - easy on the wrist and blade......it is pure fun. The battleship grey linoleum is my favorite for detail . The gold colored stuff is tempermental and crumbles too easily. But some may like it for other reasons unbeknownst to me.

Here the larger merlain is on battleship grey and the little whimsical piece is on the golden stuff.

azulparsnip
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
another thing about the speed cut softy stuff is it can be used like a rubber stamp . ( I mount it on a piece of wood before cutting) I mix waterbase printing ink with water to sourcream consistency in a plastic (cool whip type) tub and soak both sides of a flat kitchen sponge with this and voila - stamp pad - with lid on plastic tub will keep in frig a week or two.