PDA

View Full Version : 99% complete, just need some opinions please

stalksthedawn
07-12-2002, 09:31 PM
I am doing this for the "double portrait" project and for entry in an art show for breastfeeding awareness week :D.
Started it yesterday. Cropped a lot to make a major focus on the mother and child...and yes...I am actually going to complete this one:o :o
step one...basic sketch(sorry it's so hard to see)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2002/bondinginprogress1.JPG

step two...the hair

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2002/bondingprogress2.JPG

gemmag
07-12-2002, 10:35 PM
It's really hard to see the sketch but the hair looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep us posted.

:D :D
Gemma

stalksthedawn
07-12-2002, 11:39 PM
decided to do the baby's face next because I knew that would be the hardest for me. That's it for tonight though lol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2002/bondingprogress3.JPG
He really does have an entire head. It jut scanned weird :D

TeAnne
07-13-2002, 02:23 AM
This is really fantastic. Well done :D It's going to be a real beauty when it's finished.

Southern Style
07-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Very good! Anxious to see this completed. The baby looks so cute!

mistymade
07-14-2002, 03:30 AM
Wow! I can't wait to see this when it's finished! The hair does look real! Great job!
Misty:D

arlene
07-14-2002, 11:46 AM
it's coming along great aleks..my only comment would be to put a light glaze over the baby's face to smooth out the features a bit more...when we think of babie's we don't think of hard shadows normally.

i'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

Elankat
07-15-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by arlene
it's coming along great aleks..my only comment would be to put a light glaze over the baby's face to smooth out the features a bit more...when we think of babie's we don't think of hard shadows normally.

i'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

That's what makes the reference photo for this piece so hard! I can't even begin to describe how much I had to tone it down when I did it in graphite. Arlene is dead on with her advice.

You're doing great. Can't wait to see the next progress shot. :D

stalksthedawn
07-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks Arlene and Elankat for the advice. I layered a number of glazes over the baby's face...does it work better now or do I need to glaze some more?
I don't want to lose the contrast between light and dark but even looking at it now you two were absolutely right lol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2002/bondingprogress4.JPG

also thank you gemmag, Teanne,ladybug_lane and mistymade :D
With any luck I'll have time to start the woman's face tonight :)

arlene
07-15-2002, 06:53 PM
i still think the shadow under the nose and on the left side (our right) of her mouth is too harsh, but the rest looks excellent now.

stalksthedawn
07-16-2002, 12:15 AM
thanks Arlene...I'm going to glaze it a few more times...thank God this paper can handle it lol.
Did the woman's face...I think it still needs some work but I feel I am getting closer to achieving those pre-raphealite skin tones that I am after :)
comments appreciated as always

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2002/bondingprogress5.JPG

stalksthedawn
07-16-2002, 10:00 AM
here's a view of the entire painting so far. Does the baby's head look mishapen or wrong? My mom saw it and while she loves my skintones she says the baby's head if off, especailly the forhead and blames it on me working from photographs instead of life....but who knows, maybe she actually has a point this time...what do you all think.
Also...she was SHOCKED to find out you can't erase colored pencil or go over it like you can with oils until you get it right heheheheheeh.....gee Mom, maybe now you see how much work this really is:p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2002/bondingprogress6.JPG

Elankat
07-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Like I've said before, Aleks...this ref is really hard! If you try to adhere to the lighting, it really causes havok with the baby's features.

I did a photoshop alteration. It's purposely rough with darker colors so that you can see where I made marks.

I'd suggest shading more at the back and front of the head and the eye areas. Also, a touch of shading in the highlight of the cheek will give roundness. Just shade it lighter and you can still maintain the sunwashed look.

I also moved the baby's nostril over and modeled the nose a bit more. If you look at the ref, the angles are really linear. The curve of the nose tip almost looks perfectly horizontal.

In the mouth area, I softened and moved the dark shadow on the bottom of the mouth/cheek and made the left side (our right) of the baby's mouth curve up a touch more.

Keep at it. I can't tell you how many times I had to "fix" the baby's face with my graphite one. Don't let it frustrate you. :D

stalksthedawn
07-16-2002, 11:51 AM
thank you so much Elankat! I will work on all that tonigh. What you showed made a lot of sense...especially around the nose and forehead!
I'm not frustrated yet(surprisingly ;) lol). The more I learn the better I will become. The one thing I've missed over time is good critiques and I definetely get that here :clap:

arlene
07-16-2002, 01:13 PM
aleks how many times have we told u to not listen to your mother since you know she will always look to criticize u...btw why not show her this post including my statement.

i didn't have an issue with the baby's head since baby's heads can be misshapen..

stalksthedawn
07-16-2002, 01:46 PM
lol Arlene, I know I know...but occasionally she does have a decent point.....and it was great to see the dawning in her eyes when she realised I couldn't just "repaint over" when I made a mistake hehehehehehehehe.

Anyway, I used Elankat's advice to touch up the baby's face making sure I still glazed it to keep it light. I am fairly happy with it but always open to advice

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2002/bondinginprogress7.JPG

Elankat
07-16-2002, 02:03 PM
It's looking much great. Don't forget to work the eye and brow area a bit more. The eyebrow ridge will create a shadow under it, particularly when the lighting is at the top of the head.

ironhorse
07-16-2002, 03:40 PM
It's looking great Aleks!!!
I'm particularly proud that Conner and I will be at a breastfeeding awareness show. As Conner and I did just that for 11 months.

Conner's head is at an odd angle in the photo. Thats why it looks misshapen. He actually has a very nice shaped head. And I can say that because he still hardly has any hair so I see it a lot.:D :D ;)
Twyla
Is'nt she making me look great guys!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

stalksthedawn
07-16-2002, 08:42 PM
glad you like it so far Twyla. You asked how I do skin tones in the portrait forum but since I post the step-by-step in here, this is where I'm responding :D
I'm going to explain the best I can but it's hard for me to do lol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2002/numberedex.JPG

ok..here we go....(in order the colors were placed)

#1 is the lightest part of the face (alos along the nose and parts of chin....they were done with very light layers of cream, light peach and white. then layered over a few times with more cream and light peach (I pretty much layer until I'm satisfied with it...I have no better explanantion than that)

#2..the next darkest shades...cream, light peach, jasmine and some beige with more cream and light peach glazing. Also, I think I put in a touch of yellow ochre in there.

#3...next darkest...cream, light peach, jasmine, deco pink, pink rose, beige, yellow ochre, peach, mineral orange, blush pink, rosy beige, clay rose, light umber, terra cotta...glazed over with beige, peach, light peach and rosy beige.

#4...same as previous colors up until terra cotta, added pink, burnt ochre and henna...glazed with peach, rosy beige, clay rose and light peach

#5...same as previous colors up unil henna, added more terra cotta, and glazed over with burnt ochre, peach, terra cotta and henna...many, many glazes making it richer and deeper.

#6..all the previous colors plus dark umber and tuscan red and more glazes with the darker shades.

I use a lot of the shades and colors Anne Kulburg reccomends...I just do it slightly differently than she does. I hope this explained things ok :)

stalksthedawn
07-18-2002, 11:19 AM
aarrrgggggg...I haven't had any more time to work on this so far but I promise more will be coming soon :)
In the meantime (and Arlene you'll LOVE this question ;) ) any thoughts on background color/shades?

Elankat
07-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by stalksthedawn
aarrrgggggg...I haven't had any more time to work on this so far but I promise more will be coming soon :)
In the meantime (and Arlene you'll LOVE this question ;) ) any thoughts on background color/shades?

Rofl! Poor Arlene! All these "background last" people. :D

stalksthedawn
07-18-2002, 11:51 AM
lol Leanne,
in my defense I do backgrounds first in 99% of my work hehehehehehe. Just not this time around :D

arlene
07-18-2002, 12:48 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stalksthedawn
07-26-2002, 12:09 AM
finally some progress. Had to break it up into two scans because the picture no longer fits on the scanner. The neck is not nearly as rough as it looks here...it scanned that way because the top wouldn't close right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2002/bondinginprogress8a.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2002/bondinginprogress8b.JPG

Elankat
07-26-2002, 12:15 AM
It's looking good, Aleks. :)

Feylady
07-26-2002, 02:27 AM
i think you have gotten excellent advice on this one-would like to add that you have already "captured" the wonderful look of love and contentment on both faces-bonding-and are sure to get the glazes etc. down. Mothers of grown daughters sometimes come across as too critical when they try too hard to keep bonding with adult offspring

stalksthedawn
07-26-2002, 09:37 PM
nest step is done. I needed a break from skin tones so I went ahead and did the clothing. Next I'll be going back to skin tones for the baby's arms.
The painting actually has a lot more purple in the outfit than the scanner picked up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2002/bonding_inprogress9.JPG

stalksthedawn
07-27-2002, 12:31 AM
all and any advice welcome (especially about background shading). I need to get this completed over the weekend but I'm not using fixative until I get all your wonderful advice :D
The colors are very off in this photo as you can tell if you compare it to previously posted ones but it's the best I can do at 12:30am :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2002/bondinginprogress10.JPG

Elankat
07-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Some areas jump out at me immediately.

The bodice where the nearest breast goes into the clothing. The arrangement of the lace is making the curve of the breast look odd. I'd suggest changing or reducing the triangular opening of the lace so that it doesn't look like it's an extension of the breast curve.

Twyla's neck is a bit too heavily shaded, particularly at the back. I had a lot of trouble with this when I did my graphite version. I'd suggest lightening the shading and at the back and not curving the darkest areas. Instead, take the darkest dark in a straighter diagonal from back of head to shoulder. Then, shade a touch more on the chest area.

Last, think about adding a bit more shading at the forehead near the hairline and a little bit of pink to the some spots in the forehead. It's looking a bit flat and unfinished compared to the rest of the face.

You're doing a great job with a hard piece. :D

stalksthedawn
07-27-2002, 01:29 PM
ty Elankat :(
will do so tonight.

Elankat
07-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by stalksthedawn
ty Elankat :(
will do so tonight.

Hey! No frowny faces. I'm telling you this particular piece is a hard one! I didn't think so either when I was working on it, but I reworked the thing SO many times to get the shading right. It never even crossed my mind until I had lots of comments from people saying how tough it is.

There's some very challenging shading and positioning. The ref photo only makes the shadows harsher. It really requires some ignoring the photo and making a concerted effort to soften the contrast. The neck area on mine only started looking right when I ignored the photo. I had it looking way too thin.

Seriously. You're doing great on this...and you've really managed to capture gorgeous warmth. You just want it to be your best since it's going on display. :D

As far as background goes, I'm reluctant to offer advice because it would tend to be "what I did" advice and this painting should be YOUR work, not mine :D.

stalksthedawn
07-27-2002, 01:40 PM
oh my gosh...lol..oopsie. I didn't mean to put a frowny face in there, I meant to put a happy face and I didn't bother to preview my post.
lol...I appreciate all your advice and I will get to it as soon as the kiddos go to bed :D

Elankat
07-27-2002, 01:42 PM
Hehe. Well good!

kiwicockatoo
07-27-2002, 02:13 PM
This look really good. I just gotta say though, you and Elankat sure picked a hard photo to work from. There is some really difficult perspective and shading going on in the photo. I myself would never have attempted it!!! Stalks you did a great job. Good luck with your show.

stalksthedawn
07-27-2002, 02:45 PM
ok...touched it up like Elankat suggested. No matter how many times I rephotograph it, the colors are not coming up correctly when I post. The neck is much much lighter now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2002/bondingcomp.JPG

TeAnne
07-27-2002, 06:28 PM
OMG. I still think this is awesome. :clap: :clap:

arlene
07-28-2002, 04:19 PM
it looks great

gemmag
07-29-2002, 10:57 AM
This is soooo beautiful. You did a great job!
:clap: :clap:
Gemma

Elankat
07-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Looks great, Aleks. :)

Sorry to take so long to respond...my cable modem died on me and took a while to get the replacement.

stalksthedawn
08-04-2002, 11:02 PM
well...I guess it was actually 100% complete lol.

ironhorse
08-05-2002, 10:50 AM
WOWSERS!!! Aleks!!!!!!!!!!
It turned out fantastic!!
Ya done yours self proud girlfriend!!!
Twyla

Lulu
08-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Beautiful work Aleks!:clap:

Vernon
08-06-2002, 01:51 PM
What a beautiful work of art! It is breathtaking!
And thankyou for posting the colors used for the skin tones.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Vernon