PDA

View Full Version : June 2008 Pastel Strokes

Tressa
06-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the June 2008 Pastel Strokes!

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* Interested participants create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.
* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Have fun with it!
* You may paint as many versions as you like, and they may be any size.

This month is from my recent visit to Provence. Got to have a poppy field:D This was taken on the way to Les Baux.

The second is on the hillside of Roussillon, the Red Village" where the natural ochre pigments are mined. I looked up and saw this tree with the poppies and wild flowers on the hill.
HAPPY PAINTING!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2008/14941-poppy2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2008/76189-PICT0340.JPG

Kathryn Wilson
06-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for volunteering to do this month's Pastel Strokes - these are beautiful photos and everyone should have fun doing these two.

We are looking for volunteers to do some more Pastel Strokes. It's real easy and fun to do -- just PM either Kate or me and we will get you assigned a month and get you going when the time comes.

Colorix
06-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Tres, these are stunning! The poppy field beckons, nay, it casts an alluring glamour that is irresistable to me.

Tres dear, please tell me what kind of light there was in the poppy fields. Looks like it may have been a hazy sky, not clear sunshine. Or was it cloudy?

Isn't it fun how nature does what painter's can't do? In the second, two thin stalks of grass follow the curve and 'nick' of the tree, real close to it too!

Charlie

Scottyarthur
06-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Wonderful photos Tressa I will be getting after the 1st. one soon

Tressa
06-01-2008, 02:10 PM
It was a cloudy morning, so is haze in the far trees, but the light there even on cloudy days is amazing!
Tres

Namaste13
06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
How do you download the two pictures to my printer?

Tressa
06-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I pmed you re the download.
Tres

Calcbunny
06-02-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2008/138629-IMG_0958.JPG

This is my first try at pastel strokes challenge. I am a newbie.

I hope you like it, I enjoyed painting it.
Abbe :o)

Tressa
06-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Is beautiful Abbe! you said everything that needed be in this. It is very "Provence" .Great distance in the hills and your reds lead one in to look around.
Tres

CarolaH
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I am new to this site and wondering about the june Pastel strokes. how much time do we have to do a picture?

and how do i download it to my computer? definately a newbie all the way around! :o

thanks Carol

Tressa
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi Carol,
You have all month to do as many different versions as you like.
TO copy, right click on pic, and hit save as...name it June Pastel Strokes, so is easy to find. If you need larger, let me know and I will send to you.
Tres

CarolaH
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Tressa. I will get started on it this week. i have just finished a pastel portrait and working on an acrylic landscape a rather large one 24 X 30.

Carol

Donna T
06-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Nice painting Abbe! I hope I can keep mine as loose and fresh as yours.

Tres, I was looking through my Monet book at his poppy fields and was struck by the similarity of the layout of the buildings in his painting and your photo. This is "Poppies at Giverny" but it sure looks like you could have been in the same place.

http://www.globalgallery.com/prod_images/isi-x687.jpg

Donna

Tressa
06-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes! It does!! Monet was the who got me into poppies!
Tres

Mario V
06-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Abbe, nice and very joyful painting :)

Thanks Donna!!!! This looks so similar... we might steal some elements ;)

artastic
06-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I haven't been in this forum for a while, and the poppy fields are calling me (my dream holiday would be a painting vacation in tuscany overlooking the poppy fields), so as much as pastels don't cooperate with me, I will give this a go...

PeggyB
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Well Tres, you provided the picture I needed to use as a demo for my students yesterday. I wanted something with simple general shapes to show them how by looking at only those general shapes and not the details they can get a full painting done in very little time. I finished this in 1 hour 15 minutes, and that included stopping several times to explain things. It is about 9 X 12 on Wallis undertoned with olive green gouache. Ludwig, Great American, Unison, Sennilier pastels.

This is a bit brighter than the actual painting, and some of the finer details in the color ranges seem to be missing, but thanks Tres for this opportunity! :)

Tres' French Vacation
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2008/68149-Tres_Vacation_-_resized.jpg

Paula Ford
06-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Everybody, This is my contribution to Tressa's beautiful photo. This is the first time I've painted since February 1, so be gentle with me cause I'm really rusty. (This is x-posted in my Weekly Pastel Sketch thread.) It's on Uart 400 grit, mostly Mount Visions and Giraults, 20 minutes.
:wave:
Paula
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2008/1978-1978-sketch.jpg

Colorix
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Peggy and Abbe, beautiful paintings, amazing how rich those reds are! They both convey the feeling ,the emotion, very well.

Donna T, thanks for the Monet. Can't see the date, but it seems to be in his first 'style'. Astonishing how similar it is to Tressa's photo, all the same elements are there!

I so would have loved to have this Monet posted as my painting on the forum. The critique would have been so fun!!!!
Now we can all delight in the fact that Monet's left large dark tree 'kisses' the horizon!!! :-D And the third row of trees have a too sharp silhouette/too hard upper edge! And the field of poppies is standing vertical. LOL! Love it when a master did all the mistakes I'd do!

Colorix
06-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Paula, missed yours, as I was typing while you posted. Whaddyamean be gentle, can't express my enthusiasm gently, dearie. It is fabulous, beautiful, and done in such a short time I'm chromium green of envy! (sulking, muttering "20 minutes, she did all that beauty in 20 minutes...")

I'm almost done with mine, so I am looking at how you solved some problems. I really like the purple bg hill, how it slopes down to the left, (I tried another thing, less successfully...) and how you let the poplars (? cypresses?) tie sky and ground together by going into the sky with them. And how you used the area of poppies to point to the house! And magicking away the green stuff growing on the field, as that produced a parallel to the row of trees.

A beautiful gem!

Donna T
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Nice work, Peggy and Paula! But you two never disappoint. Paula, it's so good to see you getting dusty again! (dusty is better than rusty, any day)

Charlie, the date in my Monet book is 1885 and I would love it if you could tell me where this was in his career. I'm not painting the green stuff on the left either and I'm afraid I'd better not look at anyone else's work until I post mine. All I have to do is see something that's different than mine and all my original ideas vaporize. I hate when that happens!

Donna

Colorix
06-04-2008, 02:19 PM
My poppy-entry, but first a word to Donna.

Donna, people have very different ideas about when Monet's change happened. Monet himself has given two different years, 1886 and 1891. 1886 is when he was in Etretat (for the second time), painting those brown cliffs in any colour imaginable. Personally, I regard that as his start of seeing light and painting it in colour. In 1891, the haystacks series was born, the rest is history, as they say.

But, already in 1869: Took off on his own, set up house with Camille and their newborn child at Etretat, happy family man, where he set to work to paint "in a sensational way", as he writes to Bazille in a personal letter. He wanted to paint alone, in order to not resemble others or be influenced by them, but paint "simply the expression of what I myself will have experienced, I alone." And, "the further I go, the more I notice that one never dares to express what one experiences fully. It is funny."

The poppies we've looked at here may be a quick field study, where he worked on getting colour and values right.

OK, taking off the lecturer's hat!

And offering my own version of the field. Done on an anonymous paper of canson mt type, as I intended to work on some problems and solve them. More a sketch than anything else.
Size A4. (= smallish in inches... :-)
Time, about two hours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2008/117343-Poppyfield-iz.jpg

As you see, I tried to break up all the horizontals by doing slightly higher hills, one overlapping the other. (Paula's solution is more elegant.) I too tried to get the poppies to point to the house.

Made a green 'path' through the poppies, magicked away the green stuff growing on the field, and I shortened the house and half hid it behind trees.

I dediced to regard the line of trees as an avenue (? well, small dirtroad between rows of trees), so I tried to make a front row and a behind row of the poplars/cypresses.

Reason for all this talk is that I try to be more conscious about what I do and why.

Charlie

Paula Ford
06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Charlie, You are the queen of color! Beautiful piece.

Thank you for your kind words! Such encouragement makes me want to get back to my pastels.

Peggy, I love your piece also and bet your students loved watching you.

Paula

Paula Ford
06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Abbe, Your version is lovely and soft!

Paula

Tressa
06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I been lookin but have been busy painting all evening, and we had a bad thunderstorm! I will be back to comment individually, but they are all great!!!!:wave: gotta put my babies to bed, they didna like the storm...

Tres

Tressa
06-05-2008, 04:11 PM
ok...Peggy, I'm glad you could use this in your class! Hope they had fun!
You captured it so well, and you put the vineyard in! Your reds are glorious also!

Paula, I replied to yours in the sketch thread, but just to reiterate, I love it, and so quick!! Keep dusty!!! I'm glad you got inspired!
Tres

Charlie, love the colors in your b/g hills, and the yellow green in the field really sets the poppies off, and leads us right in!

btw, the trees are not cyprus, have leaves actually, but tall ,skinnyand tight growing like the cyprus, and the green stuff growing is a vineyard, lol!
The trees are (both these and cyprus) windbreaks to protect the grapes from the Mistral.
Tres

PeggyB
06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks Tres. Didn't know that was a vineyard, but gosh, now that I do it makes perfect sense, wine lover that I am, that I wouldn't leave it out! LOL

Paula and Charlie, I like your interpetations of this scene. Each is true to your own style of painting.

Ok Everyone Else - come join the fun! These are great reference photos.

Peggy

Tressa
06-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Lol, Peggy, yea, wine was good over there...
Funny thing about the trees, I just kinda thought the cyprus was a pretty tree that grew there, but was imported by the Greeks to protect the olive trees originally, and some are over a 1000 years old. I never did find out what these tall leafy ones are, and I tried to find on the internet, but haven't yet.
Tres

Scottyarthur
06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2008/125922-Pastels_08_031.jpg Wow everyone theses are all so great, I changed mine up as you can see.
6x5 on canson Mi Terry Ludwigs and Schminckes

Tressa
06-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow Scott! Is lovely, the reds really vibtrate against the greens of your trees and field. Love the reds in the trees also! Nice changes in the scene!
Tres

PeggyB
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Scott - ditto to what Tres said - very nice & vibrant.

Tres, have you researched Lombardy Poplar? We have those in town - tall, leafy, cylindrical trees. They do make a good wind break.

Peggy

Paula Ford
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Wow Scott! Is lovely, the reds really vibtrate against the greens of your trees and field. Love the reds in the trees also! Nice changes in the scene!
Tres

DITTO!!!

Tressa
06-06-2008, 02:53 PM
ha!!! Yes!! That's them!!!! I found them!! I love those too!! I have planted cyprus around the yard as a windbreak, now, I might have to find some of these boys for the back!!
Tres

Colorix
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Scott, what a wonderful glow! The changes are fab! Love how you brought some reds up into the trees, unifies the scene very well.

PeggyB
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
ha!!! Yes!! That's them!!!! I found them!! I love those too!! I have planted cyprus around the yard as a windbreak, now, I might have to find some of these boys for the back!!
Tres

Tres you might want to ask your nursery folks if they are viable for your area. They are fast growing trees, and when young they sometimes break easily if the wind is combined with heavy snowfall. We planted them in your yard in southern Ohio only to find after a hard winter that they broke rather easily during the windstorms of spring. Here in the NorthWET they seem to do just fine as we don't often get heavy snow and those downtown are really old and sturdy so when we do get high winds they don't have a problem.

Peggy

Tressa
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh drats! Just my luck! They won't grow here or something!!:rolleyes:
Tres

Scottyarthur
06-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Thank Tressa The deep red is a Terry Ludwig
Thanks Peggy
Thanks Paula
Thanks Charlie

Adiro
06-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Tressa, I just noticed this thread! OMG, your photo is gorgeous! What a trip you had!

I know I'm late but I think I want to join this thread! I never paint from pics that are not mine, but for this picture I have to break my rules!

I have to admit, seeing so many interpretations of the same scene does inspire me to try! Everybody, wonderful works!!!!!!

Tressa, thank you for making this happen!

PeggyB
06-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, Adiro plase do jump in and join us this time. I have to admit, I too prefer painting from my own references. Can't really say I "strictly" paint only my own though because I've had clients want me to paint from theirs too. Not my favorite way to go, but sometimes its just something you have to do, and as you've so well stated, this is one of those times.

I look forward to seeing what you paint!

Peggy

Tressa
06-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Adiro! 'yes do join in and paint!!! I know painting from someone else's photo can be hard, but it is a way to try to just look at shapes,color and value, and to experiment without feeling committed.
Tres

Donna T
06-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Charlie, yours is so nice! I love the atmosphere in your mountains almost as much as the poppies. Thanks for the information about Monet. I read recently that he once burned a pile of canvasses that had already been accepted for an exhibition because he decided that they weren't good enough. It's so sad to think what we might be missing.

Scott, I love how you did your trees. Your field looks wonderful!

Tres, Thanks so much for providing these photos ... I really needed some inspiration and they did the trick. I only dream of seeing something like this in person someday. I did this on watercolor paper coated with burnt sienna gesso with pumice. There's not much tooth but I wanted to try it anyway. The peach color of the sky is not showing up ... I tried for the warm, hazy look of the photo.
13x19. Please, any C&C is welcome before I tweek this to death!
"Path to Provence"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2008/97763-poppies_france_wc.jpg
Thanks,
Donna

Tressa
06-07-2008, 06:10 PM
oooh Donna, no more tweaking!! It is lovely, and I love the path taking you in, the poppies are beautiful, and not too overpowering, so that you can browse around the painting!!!:clap:
Tres

jtcherry
06-07-2008, 07:23 PM
well this is an attempt. im more of a painter and havnt even picked up a pastel in probably over a year so be cruel...also my scanner didnt get the whole painting so just keep that in mind

jtcherry
06-07-2008, 07:23 PM
for some reason it didnt get my picture ill try again

Paula Ford
06-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Beautiful Donna!!

Tressa
06-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Here is my version...thought I would post both pics, as I did a watercolor underpainting on the field area, and then added the poppies...Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2008/76189-Poppy_Field_and_Vinyard_003.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2008/76189-Poppy_Field_and_Vinyard_006.jpg

Colorix
06-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Donna, stop tweaking it! It is wonderful! The way you gave the mass of flowers an impression of stalks is great!

Tres, thanks for showing the wc underpainting. Wow, those reds simply hover over the luxurious greens.

Donna T
06-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Very nice, Tres! Putting all the greens in first with the underpainting was a good idea. Those green areas lead the eye up through the field and to the background.

Thanks Tres, Paula and Charlie for the comments on mine. That path was really bugging me after I posted ... so I had to tweak! It was just too regular and stiff looking so I added some taller poppies to break up the straight line a little. Now the roof on the house is looking too straight, maybe I should age it a little ... and put a figure that looks like Claude Monet on the path ... :lol:

Donna

Colorix
06-08-2008, 04:04 PM
OK, Donna... Don't forget Monet's pipe, he seems to have smoked it a lot!

CarolaH
06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
well here is mine. i used suede board and rembrandt and unision pastels. the photo looks fuzzy...don't know why. i did not blend so i am surprised by the fuzziness. also my poppies look they are standing tall.

Scottyarthur
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Very nice Donna I like it, well done indeed no C&C's from me.
Tressa I like the way you set your up, is that a tourquise green on the back mountians?
Carol Looks fuzzy but good, wish we could see it more clear. Did you photograph it while holding the camera in hand, if so a tri-pod to mount your camera on would really help, or even a flat surface to set it on .

CarolaH
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
thanks and yes i was holding my camera...too lazy to get tripod out!

i think the suede board also has something to do with it. i don't have problems usually with other photos. i will try it again and see what happens.

Tressa
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Scott , it was actually a scumble of lavender and a minty green from the Mt vision set.

PeggyB
06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Paula I don't think the rust has hurt you one bit! Good job as usual. :)

Charlie the misty feeling of early day is very nice. I like how you knew to "cool" the receeding poppies by using red violet as that gives a nice perspective to the piece. :thumbsup: My question to you would be why do the dip of the mountains and major tree elements come so close to the center of the painting? Perhaps if I could see the house a little more clearly it would help offset them a bit. On my monitor, I almost can't see the house as it appears the color and value are very near that of the poppies.

Scott I like the vibrancy of your piece. Somehow to me the tree changes make it look almost like the northwest tulip fields though. Perhaps that is a good thing as then it will fit into anyones imagination to wonder where it is. :)

Donna - ah yes, the eternal "tweak"! I likethe way you've broken up the patch of poppies, and although you've not posted the "tweak" it is most likely a good idea to have broken up the pathway too. But Claude? Nah! :lol:

Tres thanks for sharing your underpainting as well as your finished piece. It is nice to see how someone who actually took the photo and saw the scene interpets it. I too like how underpainting with olive greens can make a field come alive so easily. Your poplar trees are very "Monet like". :D

Peggy

Tracy Lewis
06-09-2008, 01:01 PM
What great pieces of work. I spent the whole morning on the poppy fields and then ripped it up. I used two types of cheap pastels, then I found that one wouldn't mark over the other, I was left with a muddy mess. Gonna try again tomorrow.

PeggyB
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
What great pieces of work. I spent the whole morning on the poppy fields and then ripped it up. I used two types of cheap pastels, then I found that one wouldn't mark over the other, I was left with a muddy mess. Gonna try again tomorrow.

Tracy if you have watercolours or acrylics you might try underpainting your painting surface (if it will accept water). If you have watercolour paper, you can use that too. See Tres's example of her underpainting. That way you can establish the under "olive greens, etc" in a medium that won't mix with your pastels to produce mud, and perhaps use only one of the brands of cheap pastels so the colours will work together. Just a thought for you to try. :)

Peggy

Colorix
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
...Charlie ... My question to you would be why do the dip of the mountains and major tree elements come so close to the center of the painting?

Thank you, Peggy. The answer to your question is that I tried to be too clever... :o :lol: I experimented with having the left hill, the slope of it, pointing to the house. When the sketch was finished, I stepped back, and immediately saw that it didn't work at all.... :( The thought was to have the red mass of flowers to point to the house -- the house being a discovery to make -- as the line of trees pointed to it, so why not let the hill point too? Instead, both hills point to the middle.... But it was a success in the manner that I really learned something.

The short answer is: I'm not accomplished enough to not make mistakes like that. Yet! WetCanvas is my Art College, my University. I'm so grateful to have good artists like you, Peggy, to share knowledge, expertise, and to critique and teach. :heart:

PeggyB
06-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Charlie you are a quick learner, and I admire your willingness to put it all out here to share with the WC community. More often then not, you have successful paintings. I was pretty certain you probably saw the problems in this piece, and you've now confirmed my certainity. I wish we could paint together because we could learn from one another so much more easily! :)

Peggy

Colorix
06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh, Peggy, that would be so nice! What I really miss from art-classes is the 'good vibrations' -- that special energy level you get in a room with people dedicated to their art. While each person does their own thing, doing one's own thing in the same room makes one do the 'thing' better. And one learns so much from seeing other people's successes and less-than-successes too.

I believe in sharing. Give, and you'll receive. Give generously, and 'brutally' honestly (that means mistakes too). 'Brutally' honest about onself, and encouraging to others. If one has nothing to hide, one is free and can breathe. Is alive and human, with warts and all.

(Stepping off soapbox) :-D

PeggyB
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Oh, Peggy, that would be so nice! What I really miss from art-classes is the 'good vibrations' -- that special energy level you get in a room with people dedicated to their art. While each person does their own thing, doing one's own thing in the same room makes one do the 'thing' better. And one learns so much from seeing other people's successes and less-than-successes too.

I believe in sharing. Give, and you'll receive. Give generously, and 'brutally' honestly (that means mistakes too). 'Brutally' honest about onself, and encouraging to others. If one has nothing to hide, one is free and can breathe. Is alive and human, with warts and all.

(Stepping off soapbox) :-D

But Charlie, it is such a nice soapbox, and one I could get on too. :heart:
Peggy

Adiro
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
hello everybody!
I finally got to paint yesterday, and when I started, I couldn't stop! So much that this mornig I started dabbing again even before my coffee, but now I stopped and I took a picture.

I want to thank everybody for their very inspirational works, and for Monet as well, it got me to try a more "impressionistic" style.

I did this on white Wallis size 12 by 18 inches, without any underpainting. I usually underpaint in watercolor, so that I have all tones down before I start pastelling, but this time I really wanted to try a direct approach. it was more work, but I really enjoy it, probably because I liked the picture so much ( thank you, Tress)

so I dont know if I'm finished yet, but I'm posting for your critique. I may still go on with it, according to your advice, the painting is still on my mansonite board, so please cc if you'd like,
thank you

Adiro
06-10-2008, 11:24 AM
oi

Donna T
06-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Carol, Nice job! It does look a little fuzzy but I kind of like that soft look. It seems appropriate to this subject.

Adiro, I really like your style and this is so nicely done! The soft, hazy mountains and the tiny bits of blue in the poppies really make this one special.

Donna

CarolaH
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Adiro...Wow that is beautiful. I love the colors. :thumbsup:

Colorix
06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Carol, I was waiting to see if you'd post a photo where your lovely painting is more clear. I love how you made the sky cloudy, and the purple of the distant hills is wonderful indeed.

Adiro, you got an excellent depth in your crisp painting. The house is clearly the area of interest. Great job on that.

CarolaH
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
No i haven't...just not to happy with it. if i work on it again i will send a better photo using my tripod! :)

alija1001
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi here is my picture of the poppy field.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2008/78136-Poppy_Field.jpg :clap:

Adiro
06-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Thank you, this was fun! I 'll be watching this thread to for more late comers like me!

btw, my pic is underexposed, the colors are way more vibrant in reality.... don't want to take bandwidth by posting it again...

Gill, interesting interpretation, it has a naive feel to it

Tressa
06-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Carol suedeboard has a soft quality anyway, but you may have been to close to the painting to get a clear shot. It is lovely any way.

Adiro beautiful rendidtion of the poppy field

alija1001
06-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Have retouched my picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2008/78136-Poppy_Field_1.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
for some reason it didnt get my picture ill try again

Got this figured out for a new member!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2008/14941-mitchell_photo.jpg

CarolaH
06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
i took this picture w/o the zoom and toned down the greens. a little better. Probably could of gotten a little further away.

Thanks to everyone for all the good C & C's.

Scottyarthur
06-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks Peggy the imagination is a wonderful thing.
Adiro what a well done painting No C&C's form me.
Nice Gill it has a dream like feel.
Nice Carol
jtcherry this is different

Tressa
06-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Gil, looks very nice, as Scott says dreamy looking, soft.
jtcherry, great change in the oilys! I just cannot get the hang of those!

Carol, much better pic and the painting is still lovely!
Tres

CarolaH
06-14-2008, 04:29 PM
thank you Tres

JLMTD
06-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi,

I'm a very new and green "dustie". I've only done 6 pastel sketches before doing this challenge, so this is actually what I might call my first...oh, second... pastel painting. So, as I am looking to learn, please feel free to critique. It is a work in progress but don't feel quite satisfied yet that it should be called finished. I don't like the tree area but don't know how to, or if you can, fix the jumble it has become.

I'm definitely self-teaching so I need to get feedback to grow. I'm still just discovering what happens when you put "chalk" to "paper." I did this on 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I underpainted with opposite colors with pastel and washed over that with alcohol.

I'm so impressed with what I've seen you all doing but I don't feel qualified to even comment or criticize anyone's art at this point...maybe some time in the future, but not yet.

Janis

Donna T
06-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Gill, I like the soft simplicity of yours. Nice!

jtcherry, Nice job with those oil pastels! I like the look you got by putting strokes of one color on top of another.

Janis, I really like what you've done with that sandpaper! I like the loose way you did the poppies. The trees look fine to me and I think they stand out nicely from the hill/mountain behind. I hope you'll post more often and please do feel free to comment - we all learn from each other here.

Donna

Tressa
06-15-2008, 03:57 PM
:wave: Hi Janis,
oooh, I love the trees, they look very much like the ones in the fields...very loose and not reall tight together like the cyprus is(these are populars)...love the poppy field also, great job, and just keep getting dusty!!
Tressa

Paula Ford
06-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi everybody,

Here is my 2nd contribution to this month's thread. It is a 30 minute sketch on Uart 600 grit paper, 5 1/2" x 7". Tres, I love these photos!

:wave: Paula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2008/1978-tree_sketch-wc.JPG

JLMTD
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Donna,
Thanks! I'm going to start making my own boards but the sandpaper is great for now! I'm learning.
Janis

JLMTD
06-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Tressa,
Oh I'm so glad to hear such positive stuff! I guess I'll call it done and stop fiddling with it, and move on to the next one!
Thank you-you are such an inspiration to me.
Janis

JLMTD
06-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Paula,

30 minutes? Whoa...that's incredible that you got all that in a half hour! How long did you have to look at it before you started? It's so lovely and has such a delicate and dreamy feel to it.

Janis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2008/1978-tree_sketch-wc.JPG

Scottyarthur
06-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Very nice Janis, have you worked in other mediums, I like the way you applied the pastels.

Scottyarthur
06-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Very nice Paula. It has such a soft dreamy feel. The back ground add a sense of mystery to it.

Paula Ford
06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks Janis! I've been thinking about it all day, working it out in my head the steps I would achieve and colors I would use to get the final design.

Thanks Scott!!

Paula

JLMTD
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, I haven't really painted for years, except for decorative surfaces - wall hangings, floorcloths, furniture and walls. Mostly I've been doing soft block carving and printing for the past few years but I've just been bitten with "dusty fever." Thanks, Scott, for the strokes!
Janis

JLMTD
06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Paula,
Ok, now that makes sense to me. It's been hard for me to understand this, maybe because I don't really have time to think about my art until I get to it. But your forethought shows in your work...it's so well crafted...I look at it and expect the fairies to come through the trees in the background - magical!
Janis

Colorix
06-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Wow, I go away for a weekend, and look what happens here, such beautiful contributions.

Janis, welcome! Oh, don't change those trees, the windblown 'ruffledness' is wonderful. Great start with pastels!

Paula, ah, it is exquisite! I thought that scene too difficult to even try, but you just do it in 30 minutes... Thank you for telling about how you worked on it mentally, that is a very good thing to do that I will 'copy' from you. The soloist violinist Ann-Sofie Mutter only practices for 2-4 hours/day on her instrument -- because she goes through it mentally first. Saves lots of wear and tear. From what I understand, thinking about it creates new neurological 'paths' in the brain, and even trains the muscles to perform accurately. It obviously, as you've shown, works with painting too.

Back to page 5 to see what has happened there.

Colorix
06-16-2008, 04:33 AM
jtcherry, so expressive and vigorous!

Gill, lovely soft dreamy, and the retouch makes it look completed.

Paula Ford
06-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks Charlie!

When I don't work it out in my head first, I struggle a bit. Sometimes I'll dream about it and work it out then.

Paula

Tressa
06-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Great Paula!! Another inspiration for you!! I love this photo, and it was just a fleeting moment caught whilst sitting on the bus at a stop sign to go up the hill!
Beautiful job, I am gonna take a go at this one this week also!!
Tressa

Mette Rörström
06-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Good work!
lowely.I like your dreamy picture.:)
Mette.

Mette Rörström
06-16-2008, 08:25 AM
It was for paula...
Mette.

CarolaH
06-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Love it Paula.

Did you like working on the Uart paper. I have some samples of the 400, 500 and 800 but haven't tried them yet.

Donna T
06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Paula, that's just gorgeous, way more than a sketch in my book! I was hoping someone would attempt that photo. I need to develop those neurological paths that Charlie speaks of ... I hope I have some!

Donna

Colorix
06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Hej Mette!

Nice to see another Scandinavian! Looked at your art on your website, and it is lovely! Hope to see you posting your pastels here in the Pastel forums!

Charlie

Paula Ford
06-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks so much you guys!!

Carolann, Yes, I like Uart very much. Normally I'd rather work on the 400 grit, but am out of it. The 600 works very nicely also.

Paula

CarolaH
06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
i am looking forward to trying it. i got a sample packet from a friend but he said it was not available yet. where did you purchase it?

Tressa
06-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Carol, you can order from www.Dakotapastels.com (http://www.Dakotapastels.com)
Tres

CarolaH
06-16-2008, 02:31 PM
thanks Tres

Tressa
06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Welcome:thumbsup:

Paula Ford
06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
i am looking forward to trying it. i got a sample packet from a friend but he said it was not available yet. where did you purchase it?

I actually called their company and requested samples.

CarolaH
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
that's cool. i may try some later this evening and se if i like it. i do like the feel of the finer one...can't remember the grit #.

Mette Rörström
06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi Carlie!
thank you for your words..
I will try to post some pastels.
I am working on a picture now.
Soon finnished.
Mette.

JLMTD
06-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Charlie,
Thanks for the welcome and the encouraging words. I think I'm in it for the long haul.
Janis

JJBRG
06-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi,
Had fun doing this painting. Hope you like it. Any suggestions?

Pathttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2008/119210-Poppy_Fields.JPG

Tressa
06-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Pat and Welcome:wave: I love it looks great! Lot of atmosphere going on here, and colors are good.
Be careful of house, it looks like it is leaning a bit, but that may be your camera shot.
Yea, I feel like I'm back in Provence!:D
Tres

Colorix
06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi Pat, agree, it was fun to do! Yours have a lovely soft mistyness, and the house is cosily nestled in. Your poppies do really look like flowers on a field. Good job!

Mette Rörström
06-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi!
here is my picture..
it was fun,:)
Mette.

PeggyB
06-18-2008, 12:18 PM
that's cool. i may try some later this evening and se if i like it. i do like the feel of the finer one...can't remember the grit #.

The higher the number of UArt, the finer the grit. 400 is more textured/gritty than 800 which is rather "velvety" in texture. The 500 and 600 grits are obviously in between those two. Hope this helps. Another nice thing about this paper is the number of sizes it comes in. Everything from a 10 piece packet of 12x18 inch to 20 x 27 inch single sheets, 27 x 40 inch single sheets, and rolls of 56" x 10m (strange they list this one in both inches and meters!)

Peggy

Tressa
06-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi Mette:wave: It's beautiful!! I love the distance you created with the moutains, the trees are great, and the field and flowers lovely. Great job!
Tressa

Colorix
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Hej Mette, ooooh, such a wonderful glow in the sky! The house looks 'alive', I mean that there are people living in it. Very nice painting.

CarolaH
06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks Peggy. I work alot with Canson...for reason i do like it. I also use Colourfix which i do like a lot. i don't like Wallis. i have tried it several times just can't get a good feel for it plus i like to get my hands dirty and blend a lot! guess that is why i like pastels! i am heading up to Chicago area maybe i can find an art store that carries Uart. I know there is a Dick Blick near where i am heading. If not i will order later from Dakota.

Mette...it's wonderful! I love the colors, so bright.

Mette Rörström
06-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Tressa,carlie and Carolann.
Thank you!

JLMTD
06-18-2008, 11:28 PM
[quote=JJBRG]Hi,
Had fun doing this painting. Hope you like it. Any suggestions?

Pat

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2008/119210-Poppy_Fields.JPG
Hi Pat,
I just have some questions: Is your painting really that misty or is that from the picture taking or scanner? It's a nice feel to it. Another Q: Why did you choose to put the house on the edge of the painting? It's unusual, yet it seems to work.
Janis

artastic
06-27-2008, 06:52 PM
I guess my post didn't make it during the downtime, so will post it again, I did love playing with my softies for my favorite place (tuscany) I painted this on 9x12 green suede matboard

Kathryn Wilson
06-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Yes, some of the posts and threads did not make it through the transfer over to the new site -- so if anyone is missing their posts, repost!

Mette Rörström
06-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi!
Ican not see the picture I posted....so I repost it.:)
It´s great to have you al back.I love to loock at al the art..

jtcherry
06-27-2008, 11:36 PM
thank you all for the comments. all of the paintings look beautiful!

Tressa
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Bonnei! Your pic and responses got dropped, cause I mentioned that I like the shape you made the house, looks like a cabin! Glad you reposted!
Great job!
Tressa

Colorix
06-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Bonnie, you made a dramatic ondulating landscape, with a gorgeous sultry sky!

JLMTD
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I guess my post didn't make it during the downtime, so will post it again, I did love playing with my softies for my favorite place (tuscany) I painted this on 9x12 green suede matboard

Great job! I love seeing the artistic license you have taken and transformed the photo into something quite personal and unique. This whole part of the experience in the challenge is the best learning experience I could have hoped for!

It has a great expressionistic quality to it. Not sure why but I like the row of blue that leads to the house. Can anyone tell me why?

Janis

wtunet
06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I am trying to get involved with the pastel sites as i am new to wet canvas-I tried my hand at the image-it is on wallis about 10 X 15 - haven't done alot of landscapes so this was a nice challenge-:wave: :)

Tressa
06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Janis,
One reason this is a great way to make the darks interesting. blue is often used in the shadow are as a cool dark, and the fact that Bonnie has taken you on a journey right up to her little house has made it the focal point of the painting. This is a path for your eye to follow, and enable you to move around the painting, and enjoy the entire scene. The line around the vineyard makes j curve, one of the paths used in composition. Hope this helps:)
Tressa

Tressa
06-29-2008, 05:37 PM
wtunet, Hi and Welocme to Pastel forum!!!
Great landscape painting!:thumbsup: You have used several great components. First the ariel perspective of the b/g is really nice. I love your distance created by the misty look of the mts beyond. In Provence, this is difficult to achieve. as the air is so clear, that the mts look sharp, and very much in focus!!
The use of the purple in shadow, accents of the yellow/green of the vineyard, the red in the trees, and poppies moving up thru the picture plane. Great color harmony!
Tresa

wtunet
06-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Tressa-I guess i will have to go to provence to paint some day!-perhaps once my kids finish high school and then college....oh well -keep posting the photos and i will live vicariously through you!

Tressa
06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
:lol: :D

Tressa

Colorix
06-30-2008, 05:06 AM
wtunet, hello and welcome! Very good landscape, Tres said it all, I agree totally:

Great landscape painting!:thumbsup: (... and all between ...) Great color harmony!
Tresa