PDA

View Full Version : June 2008 Oil Pastel Challenge

ElleZee
06-01-2008, 10:23 AM
It's raining cats and dogs!!! Well, ok I hope that's not the case, but here are a couple reference photos for you to have some fun with this month! A friend's beautiful orange tabby cat, Kato; and a recent photo taken at a local dog show. Lots to choose from in that one, people and dogs. You can do both of them or one of them, crop them, use diffrent colours and paint them in any way you choose!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2008/67205-catdays_sm.jpg
Go Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=86879&size=big&ppuser=67205) for a the Large version of 'Kato' in the RIL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2008/67205-dogdays_sm.jpg
Go Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=86884&size=big&cat=&ppuser=67205) for the larger version of 'Show Dog Days' in the RIL

May 2008 OP Challenge
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493902

Past OP Challenges can be viewed HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=438)

I hope you have some fun with these, I'll be away from June 5th to June 10th. I will check up on everyone before and after that! I look forward to seeing what you'll come up with. :wave:

Pat Isaac
06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Lori for hosting this month's challenge. I am going to sticky it now.
Have a good trip.

Pat

Silverknight
06-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Excellent - what a great time for me to sign up *grin*. This challenge is right up my alley.

Lora

Silverknight
06-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry my photo didn't come out all that great...but here is my submission for the challenge. :)

OP on Clayboard...which probably isn't the best for Oil Pastels - but it was handy.
5 x 7 inches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2008/142781-Junechallengecat.JPG

gakinme
06-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow, silverknight, you are fast. Your cat looks so alert and vigilant! love the dark background to it.

Pat Isaac
06-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Great job on the cat and you are fast! You have captured his expression perfectly. Clayboard is fine for OP. I use it a lot.

Pat

ElleZee
06-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Now that's fast, Silverknight!!! It looks great! Very nice job on the expression, intense! Thanks for joining us!

Silverknight
06-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Thank you. I do tend to get motivated with the animal portraits. :) His eyes didn't come out right in the photo, and my colors are more vibrant on the board. I guess I'll have to start taking the pictures outside. My "studio" is in the basement.
I have the Loew-Cornell Pastels, and I (on the advice i received browsing the threads) Placed an order with Blicks to get something more appropriate. Mine just don't blend as nicely as I see others. I also bought some blending tools.

Lora

Sophia.Rose
06-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Hi Everyone,
It's been a long time since I've done anything with OP but this Ginger Tabby looks too tempting to pass up.

Will probably start on it tomorrow.

-Sophia

Sophia.Rose
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here is my Ginger Tabby.

It took me maybe 3 hours to make. I used oil pastels on drafting velum. I used rubber tipped painting tools to move around, to smooth and blend the oil pastels.

It smudges easily. Is there a varnish or fixative I can use on the vellum to set it?

-Sophia

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2008/139072-GingerTabby_Oil_Pastel_1_sm.jpg

Silverknight
06-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh, he's beautiful Sophia - I could reach out and scratch him behind the ears! See now I wish I could get mine to blend like that. It looks like I did mine with crayons LOL

Sophia.Rose
06-03-2008, 10:39 PM
SilverKnight,

I love your cat too! Your cat is what inspired me to make mine.

I don't usually use oil pastel or draw or paint animals, so this was a real challenge for me. Glad you liked him.

-Sophia

Pat Isaac
06-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Beautiful Sophia. Great color and her eyes just gleam. The oil pastels will harden over time, but never dry and there is no fix that I know of that you could use, especially on paper. I frame under glass and you could put a piece of wax paper or glassine over it to protect it.

Pat

Sophia.Rose
06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks Pat,

I guess I'll need to go have it framed, lol.

Yesterday was the first time I used drafting film to work on. My first one is of a raccoon, posted in Colored Pencil. It was very detailed and then I did this Ginger Tabby. Wow, what a contrast in mediums. But I enjoyed doing them both on the film. It was like working on smooth silk, very soft.

-Sophia

ElleZee
06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh, Sophia! Beautiful job on that tabby! Love the eyes, very captivating. :thumbsup:

GOSH
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi, as you can see, I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself. My husband comes here on occasionally so he showed me what a wonderful website this is.

GOSH
06-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not very familiar with pastels or color drawing but I gave the cat a try since the dog photo is much harder to paint.
G

GOSH
06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi, I'm new here. You might recognize my husband. He comes here occasionally. I thought I'd have a try at the cat.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2008/143278-CAT.JPG

GOSH
06-04-2008, 09:20 PM
By the way, I painted this using colorfix paper, gold Sennelier n.112, true blue Portfolio series, white Faber-Castel, Lowe-Cornell: purple, rust, several browns, yellow, very little black and a little pink Cray-Pas.

wabbitt
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
silverknight- wow, so fast, so fabulous! excellent choice for background

sophia.rose - love your use of color, well done

gosh - welcome to the op forum, what a wonderful contribution. I like how you show texture in the fur, carpet, and wall.

I guess I need to figure out what I'm going to do...

wabbitt
06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Whoa, just over 30 mins and I'm happy with this despite the unsharp edges. This is 4x6 on smooth bristol with pentel underpainting & holbeins on top. Minor photo editor tweaking to get it looking closer to the real painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2008/76057-op0001.jpg

Finger smooshing went well but the color shaper was just pushing op around, thus the unsharp edges around the doggie. Didn't use any pencils. Don't want to wait til tomorrow to scan so there you are. I hope to be back with more crops of the doggie show.

AngelaF
06-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Lori, Nice clear shots -- these make great references! Thanks for a fun June Challenge.

Nice job Silverknight -- I think you really captured his eyes well.

Sophia, I love the bright creative colors in your piece. I would never have thought of using drafting film for OP, may give it a whirl.

Gosh - Your piece has really interesting textural qualities. Great realistic colors overall. I especially love the way you did the backgound. I am glad you decided to post here and I hope you post some more.

Julie, great job on the Shar-Pei in that time period -- you got the essence of him. I thought about that crop from that reference, also.

Angela

Pat Isaac
06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Gosh, welcome to the OP forum,:wave: . Great introduction painting. The fur texture is amazing and his eyes are really bright.
Great crop, Julie. Nice color.

Pat

truck driver
06-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Wait a minute, Thats not Gosh's first post :)

But it is well done. Anyway I will see you when I get home tonight.

RG

Pat Isaac
06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Aha....now the mystery is solved....and you are right!:smug:

Pat

Pat Isaac
06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Aha....now the mystery is solved....and you are right!:smug:

Pat

AnnieA
06-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Lori: I don't ordinarily participate in these, but the photographs this month are so good (that first one especially - I love the color) I have to admit I'm very tempted. I hope you're enjoying your trip and thanks for hosting.

Silverknight (Lora): Welcome to the OP forum! :wave: Really nice kitty portrait. I have a few Loews and find them quite hard and waxy and difficult to use, so in managing to do such a nice sketch with them you did a particularly good job. What kind of new OPs did you order?

Sophia: Gorgeous job on the kitty! The color is luscious and I love the reflection in the cat's eyes. If you don't ordinarily use OPs for animal paintings, you ought to search around the forum a bit - there've been some amazing animal portraits in OP posted here. When you say "drafting vellum," do you mean vellum paper, or drafting mylar?

GOSH: Another gorgeous job! It's interesting how different all these look, even with the same reference photo. Vive le difference, eh? I particularly like the excellent job you did on the fur in your piece. Eyes are nicely done too. Welcome to the OP forum! :wave:

Julie: Oh, what a great little painting. I really love the loose approach and the non-sharp edges just seem to work very well - maybe cause it's a Shar-pei. :D You did great in capturing the gesture and energy of the dog.

Silverknight
06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)
Annie, I ordered the CRAYPAS EXPRESSIONST ASST SET50 and it's a good think I did because Angus (my Mastiff) didn't like the Loews apparently - or at least didn't like the time I spent with them. He ate them. All but 6.
Did I make a good choice? I figured if I do well enough with those I'd move up next time.

Gosh - I really love all the texture and movement in your kitty...very nice.

Wabbit...love the shar-pei, his muzzle is perfect and I like the fuzzy look....it suits him.

wabbitt
06-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the comments on the shar-pei :)

Oh no, silverknight, hope your dog is okay. He probably has some colorful insides now.

Believe it or not, I have another. About a 30 minute effort again, just the Pentels on 5x7 gessoed bristol smooth...another crop of the dog show.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2008/76057-jun_op02.jpg

Thanks for looking. I have at least one more crop I want to do of the dog show.

wabbitt
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Aww, I just noticed or maybe it's this monitor...I'm seeing too much blue in this picture. In real life, the background is a lot more purple than blue, there should be some light purple in the dog, and the pinkness is more pronounced in the lady's outfit.

Sophia.Rose
06-07-2008, 01:43 AM
AnnieA,

Hi, Thanks for your comments.
I was reading some posts in the Colored Pencil area and they were talking about using "drafting film" and also called it something else too. (can't remember now, sorry) But I think the name depends on weather you are in the US or Europe. I think they were talking about the same thing. Anyway, I remembered I had something like that. So I dug around my art supplies and found it. I had never used it before. It is a frosty plastic plastic sheet. It is very smooth and has a matte surface.

The first piece I made with it was a Colored Pencil image of a raccoon.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499425
It's post number 23, if you want to see it.

Then I was planning to make a OP picture for this challenge and the drafting film was there so I decided to experiment. I really like the way it made the colors seem illuminated. (same with the raccoon) And it was smooth to work on with the OP's, they moved around easily with the paint shaper tools.

Hope that helps. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.

-Sophia

Sophia.Rose
06-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Wabbitt,
Both your image of the Dog Show are lovely.
I know it's a problem when pictures post differently than the originals. Thanks for letting us know.
-Sophia

Sophia.Rose
06-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Gosh,
I love all the texture in your picture and those eyes are stunning. They really focus and pull in the viewer.
I'd love to see more of your work.
-Sophia

Pat Isaac
06-07-2008, 07:25 AM
You are doing a great job with these, Julie. I really like this one. the dog is soooo cute.:)
:eek: ate the OPs.....is he okay?

Pat

eyepaint
06-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Lori - great photos - animal photos of course :) Hope you are enjoying a great trip.
Lora - my you are fast - what a great portrait! I hope your dog does not try out the new Craypas to compare them with the taste/texture of the Loews :)
Sophia - the eyes on your cat take my breath away.
Gosh - welcome - I take it you are the spouse of truckdriver? Excellent whiskers and ears on your cat!
Julie - wow a fast wrinkle dog! Another speedy mr. fluffball! Cute skirt on the handler.

eyepaint
06-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Here's my oh-so-butchered first draft of Kato. Kato is much more handsome in the photo. Somehow he (she?) turned into a wild beast when I turned loose with the oil pastels.

I sketched him/her from the monitor - can I use that as an excuse? LOL :)

Sennelier on 9x12" blue textured paper (from an assorted pack)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2008/96240-IMGP3914.JPG

C&C please! How can I restore a wee bit of his softness? Did I make his nose too long and his skull/forehead too wide? I'll wait to make the changes before I try to add the whiskers - eek!

Cheers,

Silverknight
06-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for your concern about Angus - everything "came out" ok, if not a little, um, shall we say, colorful!! LOL

The craypas are safely stored away high up. I loooove them - so much smoother and blendable.

Gosh, great Bishon...

EP - if you bring his jawline (on the right side) down you can bring his head back to proportion I think.

Pat Isaac
06-08-2008, 01:25 PM
EP, I think Silverknight is right. His snout needs to be wider and not so long...nice fur.

Pat

eyepaint
06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
silverknight and Pat - thanks for your suggestions. I feel my cat looks a bit more domesticated now, though far from the reference photo. Maybe this is a distant cousin?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2008/96240-IMGP3937.JPG

See - I tried to scale it up but didn't get the proportions right and didn't take enough time to get my sketch right before leaping in with the pastels. I wanted to hurry and get to the smooshing part!! :)

Cheers,

Pat Isaac
06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Much better.....distant cousin...:lol:

Pat

wabbitt
06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Nice improvement, EP.

eyepaint
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Pat and Julie - thank you. Maybe I would have better luck if I really zoomed in on the face and drew it again? Hmmm...

ElenaM
06-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I just dropped by to say hello and congratulate you for the felines. They are great, each one in its own right. At this time I am just a visitor as my experience with the medium is limited.I don't remember to have ever drawn a cat before so even more so of an admirer of your talents.

truck driver
06-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I will get to the kitty I promise.. my wife has me intimidated now.

RG

Scarefishcrow
06-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Lora, Welcome to the OP forum. Love your rendition of the cat. It reminds me of my first cat, Hobbes!

Look forward to seeing much more of you around. Sorry for being slow in taking a look, but am out of my home "haunts" and haven't had very good access to broadband!

BILL

Scarefishcrow
06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Sophia...Welcome to the OP Forum and what a great job on the cat! Looks like you are doing well in spite of having been away from OP for a while. Good to see your interest rekindled!!

BILL

Scarefishcrow
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
GOSH...Welcome and I'm glad your husband sent you this way. Your cat is marvelous! I really like the "wispy" white strokes that give a very loose and furry look to the cat. I hope you will share much more work with us!!

BILL

Scarefishcrow
06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Julie..30 minutes!!! Wonderful job. Frankly, I love the loose, indistinct edges and impressionistic feel to your rendition of the dog. Your second sketch is also great.

EP..Your corrections really helped and your cat is great. I really like the combination of colors! You always surprise me because you can shift from nearly abstract to fairly realistic with seeming ease!

RG: don't feel bad, I've really been out of touch and am way behind! Don't rush and keep me company while I try to catch up, ok???:wave:

So many wonderful treatments already of these subjects that I'm almost embarassed to try! (Fortunately, that never stopped me before, so hopefully I will get one done soon!)

BILL
:music: :heart: :heart: :music:

Bars
06-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi Pat, Bill, Annie and all you talented folk. I am doing the cat, it is rather slow going as I have carpel tunnel problems. The kat was quite a shock, he is the image of my puss rolf who died not so long ago. See you all soon Bars

Scarefishcrow
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi Pat, Bill, Annie and all you talented folk. I am doing the cat, it is rather slow going as I have carpel tunnel problems. The kat was quite a shock, he is the image of my puss rolf who died not so long ago. See you all soon Bars

Bars,

I can sympathize with you as I suffered with CTS for years until I finally had surgery on both hands about a year ago. Unbelievable how great it is to not have my hands go numb after just a few minutes of writing or holding a pen or pencil!!! Good luck with the kitty; I'm going to give it a try, too.

BILL

Sophia.Rose
06-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Hello Scarefishcrow,
Nice to meet you.
I have often used oil pastels with children. the cat was my first serious piece. I have done another try at the cat but never posted it. I used more pinks, yellows and blues.

Cant wait to see the July challenge.

-Sophia

ElleZee
06-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Hello everybody!!! I'm back! Sorry for not being around much for this month's challenge (or on WC in general).....Just to bring you up to speed and share a bit about what's been happening in my life. My travelling is done for now (holiday in Quebec City and attended the F-1 Race in Montreal) and I just brought home a brand new baby....puppy that is. Some of you may recall I lost my BFF Helix a few months ago and it has been a real hit for me emotionally, I have no children and got pretty attached to that dog....I just haven't had any inspiration or desire to do my artwork. Well, some good news....I managed to find a muse....I just brought home my very first French Bulldog. He is adorabull!!! :lol: Here's a pic as I have to show him off. I will post more in the RIL for others to gain inspiration from in the future. Please accept my humble appology for being so preoccupied!

Meet Dooley the French Boulie! He is 13 weeks old.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2008/67205-model_sm.jpg
This photo is Copyright free for artistic use, please feel free to use for reference if you'd like! Ok, so enough about me....onto comment on all the awesome pieces that have been produced since I was last here!!!

Welcome Gosh! :wave: ...Beautiful work!!! I love the movement you have happening. Very interesting and fun to view, nicely done and thanks for joining in!

Wabbitt (Julie) - What a great job on that Shar-Pei!!! I really love those wrinkles!...oh, and what a treat, a second one!!!! Great work in 30 minutes. Nicely done!!

EP - Love the WILD BEAST!!! Your work always keeping things lively!!...well done, as usual!

Great to see everybody is doing well! I hope to actually get something done this month myself...at least I still have a few days :D.

Pat Isaac
06-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Oh, what a sweetie....easy to love. There is an author that I read who has a french bulldog and he always talks about how lovable they are.
Welcome back, Lori. Hope your vacation was great.

Pat

eyepaint
06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Lori - thank you. What a cutie pie!!!! :) :) :)

Scarefishcrow
06-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Hello Scarefishcrow,
Nice to meet you.
I have often used oil pastels with children. the cat was my first serious piece. I have done another try at the cat but never posted it. I used more pinks, yellows and blues.

Cant wait to see the July challenge.

-Sophia

I'm glad you are enthusiastic as your work is very nice. It is great to have the chance to look at the same subject through lots of other people's eyes!! We all see things a little differently!

BILL

Scarefishcrow
06-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Lori..Welcome back, both literally and emotionally!:thumbsup: The cat photo this month took me by surprise because it looked so much like the first cat I had after I left home! I remember how hard it is to lose beloved pets, and I am glad you have found a new friend. Your new cutie will soon give you a treasure of new memories that won't displace those of your former pet, but hopefully make them even richer by adding to the wonderful memories of good times you have or will have shared with both!

I look forward to seeing you around more and seeing some of the newly inspired work posted!!

Good luck with your new "muse". May you make beautiful "MUSEic" :lol: together!! (I see I have competition in the pun department!)

BILL

Pat Isaac
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Competition???...Hmmm...you are in trouble, Bill.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Competition???...Hmmm...you are in trouble, Bill.

Pat

Actually, Pat, if there are two of us trying to outdo one another, it is really the rest of you that are going to take the brunt of the

"PUNishment" :evil: :smug: :p :lol:

Be careful, I still have a gull or two up my sleeve! (And I can tell you I'd really like to get them out of there soon!:lol: )

BILL

Bars
06-14-2008, 11:45 PM
:clap: Meet Rolf my look-a-like. Barshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2008/119075-img021_855_x_594.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-15-2008, 11:30 AM
This is a great look alike, Bars. I like the texture of the fur and the piercing eyes. sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel....Is it any better or will you be facing surgery?

Pat

Bars
06-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi Pat , I am waiting to have surgery, will be a couple of months. If I am lucky, not looking forward to it much as I have to have a local as my other problems make a general undesirable. I am glad you like my puss, cant wait to see Bills effort Bars

Scarefishcrow
06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Pat , I am waiting to have surgery, will be a couple of months. If I am lucky, not looking forward to it much as I have to have a local as my other problems make a general undesirable. I am glad you like my puss, cant wait to see Bills effort Bars

Well, Bars, I hope I can do as good a job as you did! Love those captivating, deep green eyes!

I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands a couple of years ago and it will take a while to heal and might seem frustratingly slow progress at times, but I can tell you that it made a world of difference! I should have never let mine go as long as I did. Hope all goes well, BARS!!

BILL

GOSH
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
silverknight- wow, so fast, so fabulous! excellent choice for background

sophia.rose - love your use of color, well done

gosh - welcome to the op forum, what a wonderful contribution. I like how you show texture in the fur, carpet, and wall.

I guess I need to figure out what I'm going to do...

Thank you, wabbitt, glad to be here :wave:

GOSH
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Lori, Nice clear shots -- these make great references! Thanks for a fun June Challenge.

Nice job Silverknight -- I think you really captured his eyes well.

Sophia, I love the bright creative colors in your piece. I would never have thought of using drafting film for OP, may give it a whirl.

Gosh - Your piece has really interesting textural qualities. Great realistic colors overall. I especially love the way you did the backgound. I am glad you decided to post here and I hope you post some more.

Julie, great job on the Shar-Pei in that time period -- you got the essence of him. I thought about that crop from that reference, also.

Angela

Thank you, Angela, I'll make sure I'll wear my oil pastels out :)

GOSH
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Gosh, welcome to the OP forum,:wave: . Great introduction painting. The fur texture is amazing and his eyes are really bright.
Great crop, Julie. Nice color.

Pat

Thank you, Pat! It took me about an hour to make the kitty cat and I am not familiar with the media so I just slapped color everywhere. Please feel free to make any suggestions for improvement I surely need. The cat has inspired me to try and play with colored ink and gesso too, so yesterday I made another cat and posted in the critique forum. It seems all my cats come out cross-eyed and obese :wink2: , but fun to paint.

GOSH
06-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Lori - great photos - animal photos of course :) Hope you are enjoying a great trip.
Lora - my you are fast - what a great portrait! I hope your dog does not try out the new Craypas to compare them with the taste/texture of the Loews :)
Sophia - the eyes on your cat take my breath away.
Gosh - welcome - I take it you are the spouse of truckdriver? Excellent whiskers and ears on your cat!
Julie - wow a fast wrinkle dog! Another speedy mr. fluffball! Cute skirt on the handler.

Thank you, Sophie.Rose, Silvernight and eyepaint!
You do such great work.

Pat Isaac
06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi gosh, The cross-eyed effect may be because the iris on the left eye(our view) is too close to the nose, it needs to be a little to the left. I checked out the cat in the critique forum and I really like the technique. I don't feel that this one has a cross-eyed problem.

Pat

GOSH
06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
GOSH...Welcome and I'm glad your husband sent you this way. Your cat is marvelous! I really like the "wispy" white strokes that give a very loose and furry look to the cat. I hope you will share much more work with us!!

BILL

Thank you, scarefishcrow. I appreciate every comment.
I will surely play with my oil pastels a lot more from now on. :thumbsup:

RainySea
06-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Here is my attempt at the cat. . . pentel oil pastels on strathmore pastel pad, cream colored paper.

paul444
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone, great paintings so far, I will get back and comment properly later.
Here is my attempt at the cat, not totally happy with it but as they say practice makes perfect. So heres to more practice.
Its 6 X 8 on ingress pastel paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2008/82968-op_cat.jpg

C and C welcome.

wabbitt
06-18-2008, 03:46 PM
rainysea - lovely rendition of the cat. I think, though, the snout looks a little thin. Nice colors. Good job with the whiskers.

Paul - wow, beautiful cat. Great job on the eyes and the face.

Pat Isaac
06-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Rainysea, great colors on your cat and good fur texture. You might want to define his mouth a little more.
Wonderful, Paul. Great eyes....

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
RainySea..Good colors, especially on the stripes. Texture is good and as others have already suggested the mouth might use a bit more work. But overall, a good job.

Paul..Wornderful rendering of the cat, excellent crop and great modelling.

BILL

RainySea
06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. . . I'm just beginning in drawing and esp. with oil pastels. But I tried to fix his mouth better and hope maybe it made an improvement?

truck driver
06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
did i read that right? Bill you sure you wanna call me out? just for reference i have a new job now, so my work wont be done going down the highway. i am sure i can get motivated to get some work done over the next couple of days. you have yet to see me on an artistic rampage.
RG

Scarefishcrow
06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Well, better late than never. Just couldn't see howI was going to approach the cat so I just dived in this afternoon and took a while and came up with the attached painting on Wallis Sanded Paper, brown, 12" x 18", done with Craypas Speciist OP's and some "finger blending".

C&C welcome.

Thanks.

BILL

Scarefishcrow
06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Uploaded version rather than attached:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2008/108067-CatSmall.gif

Bars
06-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi Bill. good to be back, I love your puss, can you tell me what he is looking at? he seems to be a bit crosseyed. regards Bars

Artchrispy
06-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey Bill Great bold application of op. He is very well drawn. He does look a little cross eyed but that gives him character. Nice colors.

Pat Isaac
06-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Great cat, Bill and I love the rich color and painterly feel. Maybe he is looking at his nose....

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Bill. good to be back, I love your puss, can you tell me what he is looking at? he seems to be a bit crosseyed. regards Bars

He is looking at an artist that was standing too close to his painting to notice he put the eyes in the wrong place!!!!:lol:

Thanks for your comments Bars, Chris and Pat. Other than the crosseyed look, I finished what I thought was going to be an underpainting and then decided that the guy with the axe was starting practice swings and figured I would leave well enough alone. Overall, I felt pretty good about how it came out (may try and adjust eyes a bit). Really liked the Wallis sanded paper! Worked well with the Specialists!

Bill

AngelaF
06-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi, everyone, better late than never for me, too. I finished it a week ago, but with the site down, did not get it posted. I found it more difficult than I expected, spent awhile on it.

Bars, I like the texture and color in your fur, also.

Paul, I think you did a nice job, I like the crop also, chose closer up version also.

Lori, love your new puppy, what a cutie!!! I will look for his other photos, may give one a go, sometime.

Bill, I think yours is great! (Except, sorry, the eyes, that sanded paper is easier to correct also, LOL)

Angela

Pat Isaac
06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Well done, Angela. I really like the color and texture. Nice piercing eyes.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Angela, I agree totally with Pat. The eyes (aside from not being crossed:lol: ) are indeed piercing. The colors and modelling are great.

I do have one nitpick, and that would be that the upper lip on the left side of the painting seems a bit too large relative to the upper lip on the right side since the head is turned away (toward the left of the painting) and would be slightly more obscured than the closer right side.

Just a minor observation from a beginner, so take it for whatever it's worth. It certainly doesn't detract from the lovely job you have done with the painting. I really like it.

Nice to be back, even though there will be little gremlins to deal with for a while until the new system is properly tweaked. It will be worth it in the long run, though.

BILL

RainySea
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Bill and Angela, both of your cats are lovely.
Bill, my friend has a cross-eyed cat and he's a real cutie :)

Scarefishcrow
06-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Bill and Angela, both of your cats are lovely.
Bill, my friend has a cross-eyed cat and he's a real cutie :)

Thanks, RainySea/

Bill

Shirl Parker
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Running out of time, so far, homage to EP, who knows if it's really attached, but I can tell you that the whole process is a pain in the tush, and not worth the trouble, so until and unless things go back to being easy like they were before, I am finished uploading photos.

Pat Isaac
06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
It was attached and the "blue" kitty is wonderful. Well drawn and nice texture.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Nice tribute to EP, Shirl.
Did you use the uploader or the attachment manager below the reply window? The attachment manager seems to be working well and is so much less trouble than the quick link image uploader.

Bill

eyepaint
06-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Looks great, Shirl :)

ElleZee
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Awesome artwork everyone!!!! Thanks for participating! Sorry I didn't do the same, time got away on me. :o I may try to get something in here yet...but I've said that before...not going to hold my breath. :cat:

Bars - Well done!

Paul - I love the texture you achieved on the fur :thumbsup:

Bill - LOVE IT!!!! CROSSED EYES AND ALL!!! :heart: I especially like the movement created by your strokes....yes, painterly.

Angela - Beautifully soft feeling, great job.

Rainysea - From your avatar he looks great, somehow I can't seem to view your attachments?? But great work and thanks for joining in!!!

Shirl (lueur) - Love the colour change!!! GREAT STUFF!!! :clap:

Now hopefully I can break out my OP's and get back to doing some artwork again! Thanks everyone for joining me!!

Pat Isaac
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks again Lori for hosting this month. Hope you get your OPs out..

Pat

Scarefishcrow
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
A special thanks for hosting. I have to confess, I struggled with that cat and then it just seemed to come out of nowhere. It is one of the first works I've looked and and (flaws and all) said to myself, "I like it!" Thanks for the photo that brought that feeling!

BILL