PDA

View Full Version : Stained Glass Anyone?

llis
07-12-2002, 03:59 PM
How many stained glass artists do we have here? I've seen several of you mention that in your introduction but haven't seen your work yet. Could you put some pieces up. I'd love to see them. :)

Stacylynne
07-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by llis
How many stained glass artists do we have here? I've seen several of you mention that in your introduction but haven't seen your work yet. Could you put some pieces up. I'd love to see them. :)

Ills, I'm a Stained Glass and Fuse Glass instructor and I don't have any pics to show you , all are on disc in a box somewhere but soon or maybe later (more like later) Still unpacking,,,,,,, Anyway wishing others would join in and post Pics of the work they have done in Fused or Stained Glass? Any takers?
Stacylynne

Jennifer Geldard
07-12-2002, 05:55 PM
I did stained glass for a long time before embracing hot glass again...
Here's one (actually one of the only ones I still have pictures of...
My hard drive ate a lot of my stained glass images.:(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2002/pinkgirl.jpg

macbeth7
07-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Jen, that piece is wonderful! :clap:

llis, I know there are lots of others out there with stained glass backgrounds, so hopefully we will see more pics!

:cat:
Beth

ValorieCox
07-12-2002, 06:11 PM
Wow, that's gorgeous Jennifer! Such character and expression. Thank for sharing it with us!
Valorie

meesh
07-12-2002, 06:11 PM
yippy, one of jennifer's glass girls!!! i wish i had a glass girl!!! i love, love, love jennifer's glass girls!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ann*S
07-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Nice Jen, really nice...I also love how delicate you managed to get her little feet to look.
Ann

Jennifer Geldard
07-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Here's another more serious one...
This was the beginning of a series which I never finished based on the deities( Orishas) of the Yoruba Tradition. Her name is
Yemaya (or yemaja) and she is a mother goddess to some of the other deities. Her symbols are fish (fertility) and shells (Real cowry shells are in her hands) and she resides in the ocean.

Here's a quote about her:
Yemaja is the Ocean. The mother of the world, she is great and essential.
She is all things motherly for the sea is the mother of all life.
She protects the home and family and provides nourishment for her children.
She's is called in matters of fertility and maternity.
She oversees the middle passage and when traveling far.
She can be restless and stormy, or warm and life giving.
She owns the collective subconscious and ancient wisdom.
She holds the secrets of the sea and the sway of the moon.
She is the force of Mother.

If you're interested in Yoruba culture, here's a link:

http://65.107.211.206/post/nigeria/yorubarel.html

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2002/yamena.gif

mistymade
07-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Oh my dear Jennifer!!! Those are AWESOME!!! I think I want one...:D
Misty;)

Rhona
07-12-2002, 08:17 PM
I am a stained glass instructor and that was my first introduction to glass, I also teach dichroic glass fusing for jewelry, I am not very good at taking pictures (as Lori Robbins will tell you) but I will get some pics. up soon. ( Help Lori""") I like to do mosiac on my down time, I am in the process of doing a wall in my home, it is only halfway finished, but I would be willing to post a picture if I can figure out how to use my camera. As soon as I get a decent pic. I will post.
Rhona

macbeth7
07-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Jennifer,

Amazing! Such emotion in that piece...wonderful visual interpretation of the quote. I will have to check out that site soon.

Beth

Modesto
07-12-2002, 08:27 PM
I was stuck on the first and, then you hit me with the second...
Jennifer you're our gift...please continue.

Lori Robbins
07-12-2002, 08:32 PM
I am very moved with Yemaya.
WOW!

sagehen
07-12-2002, 08:33 PM
I started my addiction to glass by doing stained glass. We just got house address numbers out here in the country, a week ago, so I just whipped this out this week to hang out by my mail box. Nothing fancy, but people driving by might like it! The bee's are hard to see in the photo, but they are fused, and then glued on.

Katie

Stacylynne
07-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer Geldard
I did stained glass for a long time before embracing hot glass again...
Here's one (actually one of the only ones I still have pictures of...
My hard drive ate a lot of my stained glass images.:(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2002/pinkgirl.jpg

Jen and Katie Hi and am so glad that you shared, I love stained Glass but not as much as warm and hot glass (and of course Lampwork) Isn't it funny how you started with Cold Glass and loved it and moved on to warm glass or lampwork?
And isn't it great that we can stay within the same medium and still be versatile giving us so much to work with? You can't do what we do with lets say, water color, Oils, acrylics, etc like we can do with glass, glass is living in our hands it moves even when its in a panel or when its heated, constantly changing. I love that about glass. Your piece is just awesome Jan and Katie your address panel is just adorable..... StacyLynne

craftylady
07-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Love the little girl she is so cute. I like them all love the sunflowers. Nice work guys.

TheCharmedLife
07-13-2002, 01:58 PM
I work in stained glass but mostly mosaic type work with lots of other stuff mixed in (tile, china, etc). I'm learning more traditional stained glass (slowwwwwwwwwly) but my soldering still needs some work. All of the pictures that have been posted here are great! I only hope I can reach that level one day. :)

I feel kind of lost in this section since I have never done any kind of bead work or hot or warm glass work at all... and reading these posts makes me want to! Just what I need... the desire to buy more expensive equipment. I hope you are all proud of yourself. LOL

Can someone suggest a good tutorial for beadwork so I can read it and convince myself that I don't need to do this? :-) I would love to take a class.... anybody know anyone anywhere near central Mississippi that teaches?

OK Enough questions for my first post here. :)

Becca

macbeth7
07-13-2002, 04:09 PM
Hi Becca,

Welcome to WC! :clap: Feel free to jump in & chat with us whenever, if only to say hello or tell someone how much you like their beads. Hopefully since llis started this post, more stained glass people will jump in. I know of at least a few that started their glass obsession that way. Here's a link to some book recommendations that a few others have made...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=485813#post485813

Can't help on the Mississippi thing though...maybe someone else knows of someone?

Beth

TheCharmedLife
07-16-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by sagehen
I started my addiction to glass by doing stained glass. We just got house address numbers out here in the country, a week ago, so I just whipped this out this week to hang out by my mail box. Nothing fancy, but people driving by might like it! The bee's are hard to see in the photo, but they are fused, and then glued on.

Katie

I LOVE your house numbers! I just did one for my house but it's mosaiced with glass numbers and china on a wood base instead of regular stained glass. I have lots of sunflowers at my house... I would love to have house numbers like yours.

Becca

MarySarah
07-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Jennifer, those are beautiful pieces of stained glass work! I love the whimsical nature of the first piece (she reminds me of my oldest daughter, who had curly hair as a toddler, loved to wear pink, and loved to dance!) The Yemaja piece has a whole other feeling and I especially like that it is based on mothers and the ocean. I've never heard of Yoruba culture but I'm going to use your link to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Katie, your address marker is gorgeous! I'm quite sure there will be some passersby who will slow waaaaaayyyy down to get a better look!

Becca, your address marker is lovely too! What creative glass girls you all are :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers!
Mary

Miss Kate
07-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Wanted to share my stained glass transom panel with you all.

It was 13 years in the making (read - sat in the basement unfinished). Took another class in January & finally finished it! WooHoo!

Jennifer - I am the proud owner of one of your beads (love & admire them), and now your stained glass is to die for!

Katie - the address marker is just too cute!

Anyway - here tis. (Still don't take the best digital photo's or know quite how to use Photoshop to get colors true - so bear with me!:o )

Miss Kate
07-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Sadness - the pic didn't show. Will try uploading again. Sorry....

Miss kate

Miss Kate
07-21-2002, 11:13 AM
okay - uploaded image - trying again. Thanks for your patience!

Miss Kate:rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2002/MVC-025S.jpg

macbeth7
07-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Miss Kate, that is lovely...worth the wait!

Katie, love the sunflower!

Becca, coolio panel!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Beth

b2beads
07-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Everyone's stained glass is gorgeous! Sometimes everyone's talent overwhelms me a bit. I tend to fall into that "jack of all trades, master of none" category - love to try new things, but lose interest before I really get good.

I took a stained glass class, but my heart wasn't in it. I signed up when I thought I wasn't going to give lampworking a try just yet, but by the time the class rolled around I'd decided to go for it and had started torching. So, while I really enjoyed it, I just wasn't "into" it. My first stained glass piece is so embarrassing, even I (who happily posts wonky beads!) can't post that.

But here are my first two mosaic projects - sort of a kitty memorial for my first cat, Boo. I really like doing mosaics (and talk about cathartic! Name the tiles and smash away with a hammer - gotta love it!), but as usual, moved onto something else. However, mosaics, like sketching, is one I pick back up occasionally.

Post more mosaics as well as stained glass!

B2

(Hmm, sort of a crappy picture - my photo skills appear to be regressing...)

Rhona
07-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Great Transom Miss Kate.
Rhona:cat:

Rhona
07-21-2002, 07:42 PM
B2 Great mosiac projects, the cat is wonderful too.
Rhona:cool:

FiredDesires
07-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Although my interests are hot/warm glass artforms now, I still on occassion will do special orders for doors, lamps and windows.
After 23yrs of doing and teaching stained glass I wanted something that would spark my creative process....HELLO!!! Lampworking!!!! Haven't regretted the change of direction one little bit.....only wish I would have done it sooner.:cat:

macbeth7
07-22-2002, 12:07 PM
Catharine, that piece is wonderful! :clap:

Beth

AMR GlassWorks
07-22-2002, 12:23 PM
OMG Jen! :eek: You are incredible!! Is there anything you have done badly!! LOL;) Katie I love the house number sign you did! I love sunflowers! I'm sure everybody that drives by will go Ohh Aww!!:D

rightbrainbeads
07-22-2002, 12:24 PM
wow! these are *all* so beautiful!

thank you for posting the beautiful pictures!!!

lynne

GlassPrincess
07-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Hello llis...

It's strange how glass calls to people. I grew up surrounded by Stained Glass in Illinois. My parents owned a glass shop in Villa Park called The Opalescent Emporium, Ltd. (with their partners - my Aunt and Uncle). I spent most of my after school time in the shop. I miss it... so do my folks. My dad was a master craftsman - he did some magnificent panels. Unfortunately they were not photo savvy back then (polaroids were the norm). So I have some pretty pitiful pics that I can post after they're scanned.

I never wished to pursue Stained Glass though my parents instilled a great respect in me for the medium. I liked the glass jewels or globs, and even had a small taste of fusing when my Aunt bought a kiln and started slumping large Art bowls. It was just about then that my parents sold their half of the business to my Aunt and Uncle and I never came in contact with it again. It went out of business shortly after.

Last year though, I was out of work and trying to find something to help me get out of my depression. I happened to read an article about lampwork and knew that it was the medium I was looking for. I have had a roller-coaster ride with it ever since, but it is so intriguing - it will NOT let me out of it's grasp no matter what. I LOVE IT. :D

macbeth7
07-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Beth, I didn't see your post before...cool frame & box! :clap: :clap: Which cat is that?

Beth

macbeth7
07-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Welcome to WC, GP! :clap:

Beth

laughing glass beads
07-22-2002, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by b2beads
[B]Everyone's stained glass is gorgeous! Sometimes everyone's talent overwhelms me a bit. I tend to fall into that "jack of all trades, master of none" category - love to try new things, but lose interest before I really get good.

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE! I have seen your beads, girl, they are all to die for.....remember the very first meeting you came to in Omaha, we were all over you and your beads, you are the WOMAN!............. there, I feel better now.

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Welcome GP.....you sound as if you have it BAD ! ! ! Congradulations !

Bobby

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-22-2002, 01:46 PM
Welcome Becca.....go for it all. Time is short....learn all there is, you will never regret it.
Bobby

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-22-2002, 01:54 PM
I just went back and looked at all the pictures again. I love all the stained glass work. Makes me want to get the tools out again. I think that it is a good thing that we don't have the room to work around here or things would be spread everywhere with no time to do them. As soon as I get a picture of our window I will post it. Will make myself a note. Really ! ! !

Bobby

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-22-2002, 03:29 PM
O.K. I figured if I didn't do it now who knows when.....Norm and I designed this piece for our bedroom and then moved and it really doesn't fit in any windows that we now have. Norm put a wooden frame around it to keep it stable and it rests in a window for the moment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2002/wcwndw.jpg

Bobby

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-22-2002, 03:33 PM
And a close up of the iris. The window is 43" by 26 1/2". It will someday be set in a window made just for the size that it needs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2002/wcwndw3.jpg

Bobby

macbeth7
07-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Wow Bobby, not much on the procrastination, eh? :p I really love that window...the irises are just stunning! :clap: I guess when buying your new place you will have to factor in whther there's a place for it or not!

Beth

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Beth......Thanks..... I have this one and 4 smaller ones that the rooms will have to be built around. I made some small ones to go into an "outhouse" we have and was going to deck it out to the max with things that were not of the norm but it is also put on the back burnner for now.
I just figured out that I was not going to get any regular work done today and so have been playing catch-up on a few things that should have already been done.

Bobby

GlassCanyon
08-09-2002, 04:30 AM
Wow, everyone has such talent! I also started with stained glass and am now slowly but surely moving into hot glass. I have figured out that working with hot glass can give me sooner gratification with a finished product. I love working with stained glass... but sometimes get very impatient at the time it takes me to finish a piece. So I am learning that hot glass is going to put a smile on my face in about 30 minutes compared to hours or days of working with cold glass. Thanks for all your pictures though... I will never give up my old friend (cold glass)... the finished products are just too beautiful.... I just have a new friend... that is all. ;)

Jennifer

BGillen
12-02-2002, 01:45 PM
I started working in Stained Glass about 4 years ago. My husband bought me a kiln for my birthday this year and started me on fusing glass. The next natural step was Lampworking. I love it. I do all three and sometimes combine all techniques in one project.

This is my first attempt at attaching a photo so forgive me if it doesn't work

Stacylynne
12-02-2002, 09:11 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Well DOne Gillen................Stacylynne

CD Lampwork
12-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Please forgive the poor picture quality, I'm just not set up to get it right tonight.

This one actually is the first stained glass piece I made. Well, really it's the first 10 pieces remounted into one large piece. Made about 12 years ago but pic is recent.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2002/me.JPG

This is one of my last pieces. Made maybe 2 years ago.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2002/geometric.JPG

And of course one of my victorians.....I'm still seriously looking for a buyer for these beaties (I have 3 of these victorians) *hint*hint*
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2002/victorian_3.JPG

Stained glass is WAY too much work. I love it, but ugh. I'm soo happy to be doing hot glass now:)

Greg

paintfool
12-03-2002, 12:24 AM
What can i say? They're georgous!!! I have been looking for stained glass sites tonight, as i'm working on a painting of stained glass and needed some references for lighting. I took a break and checked out this thread and there it is!! :) Thanks! You've helped me more than you know! Don't worry though, the design i'm working on for my painting is my own. I just needed to really look at the light play of your beautiful peices. Thanks again. I would love to see more!
Cheryl
PS. I would buy that victorian piece in a minute if i had a really good place to put it! What is the size on that?

Lia Howe
02-22-2003, 11:51 AM
I also sarted in traditional stained glass. I have done it for 13 years. For me it was a very natural transition. I felt that I had mastered most of the flat glass options, so warm glass was the most logical step. I have been doing fused glass for 5 years. I find it is really great to combine the two. Now I also add lampworking to both fused and traditional stained glass. It opens a world of new options. Sometimes it keeps me up at night thinking of new ideas. If you really want to have fun ( BEWARE VERY ADDICTIVE) try a class in Glass Blowing. If I didn't need a house, clothes, heat, food, or a car I would love to set up my own hot glass studio. Anybody else feel this addiction?Lia

Lynne Smith
02-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Lia,
I feel exactly the same about glassblowing. I did a beginners course a few years ago when I was in Corning and loved every minute. I did it just for the fun of it as there are no studio's for hire where I live. If I was 30 years younger I think I would set up a studio etc. but its not to be and what with flamework, warmglass and strained glass , where would I fit it in.
Lynne

Elle D
02-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Here's a few:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2003/12289-kalied.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2003/12289-hummers.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2003/12289-yrokrsz.jpg

The first two are from patterns, the last is my own design.

Elle

glass_wonders
02-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Well, you have seen a couple of my lampwork pieces, so here goes. Here is one of my stained glass bowl!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2003/17790-bowl.jpg

Great work you guys!:clap:

Glascinder
02-23-2003, 04:29 PM
I have lots of stained glass pictures of things that I've done. Here are 2 of them. Stained glass is how I got started with lampworking. Glass is such a wonderful medium to explore.
Cinda

Noah was made for my unborn niece 3 years ago.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2003/16222-Noah.jpg

This is a picture of my bathroom cabinet. I took out the wood insert and made the stained glass to match the room.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2003/16222-pansy.jpg

macbeth7
02-23-2003, 04:41 PM
I'm so glad this thread resurfaced! I get to revisit the older stained glass eye candy & then see some new as well! Great work everyone! :clap:

fuzzyone
02-23-2003, 04:56 PM
All of your work is wonderful! I love this board and have been very impressed with the great people.
I started in glass work 22 years ago and had a small business to pay for my college. Well, stained glass spread to fused glass, then to torchwork. What a great passion this is!!!! I'm still working on this beadmaking though, and trying to perfect some techniques (I need lots of help!)
My website has some work that I have done:

darn.......I can't get this address to form a hyperlink......I'm working on it

[URL=http://www.eplanetglass.com]Eplanet Glass (http://www.eplanetglass.com)

toozygoot
02-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Elle, Kimiko and Glasscynder - I love the new stained glass you all have posted. All so different and all so beautiful. Gave me some ideas for new things myself!

Fuzzyone - will be checking you site, but right now my puter is giving me fits. But I'd like to welcome you to WC! And I know everyone else would like to as well. Could you introduce yourself in the Glass Lobby? So happy you found us!

pat

glassfreek
02-24-2003, 01:14 AM
Wow, great glass everyone! Jenn, I just love those windows, every time I see them I feel better! Here is a picture of a giant hanging head dragonfly lamp I made in 1991...it is so big you can't get your arms around shade (24" across) and 675 pieces! I have made several dozen lamps, but this was the biggest! Mostly ring mottles and ripples with german jewels in this one. I designed and help make the welded base too... my hubby and I did stained and etched glass for 20 years and had a retail studio. We did major comissions and private homes....most on regular film but I did find these pics on disc, hope you like them, what a fun thread, thanks Ilis! Hugs Deb

glassfreek
02-24-2003, 01:20 AM
Here is the same shade close-up lit at night...Deb

KathiG
04-01-2003, 10:21 AM
HI, This is my first post but I have been perusing the message boards for a bit. I live in Bakersfield California where I was a paramedic for 18 years. I took a stained glass class about 6 years ago one, because I had always loved it and two for something to do when I had had "one of those shifts".

I fell in love with it and now am "doing" glass because it lets something out in me. I do some commission works but mostly I create just to create. I add some fused glass to some of my projects. We just moved to a place big enough that I have my very own "studio" in the back yard. We got a 10" X 12" Heartland Barns Tack room. Just perfect for me.....um, except now I am getting more equipment and want MORE ROOM! <g>

Here is one of the windows I have done. I call it "fractured rainbow"

daffodildeb
04-01-2003, 07:36 PM
I work in stained glass, too, but wouldn't call myself an artist yet.:rolleyes:

BTW, I'm probably moving to Texarkana, TX this spring. Any glass workers of either stripe anywhere around there??

KathiG
04-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Wow...amazing what one discovers when they go looking at files from way back when. I found a window I have totally forgotten I had made.

Um how do you post more then one picture at a time?

toozygoot
04-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Here's a pic of what I did with an old mirror. The design is not my own but the glass is really pretty. Uroboros if I remember right.

KathiG
04-02-2003, 04:30 PM
nice job. I had never thought of staining over a mirror. Hmmmmmm.....::::Off to the studio she goes:::::::

midniteburner
04-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Oh Pat, how did you know I had a thing for mirrors? I love it!!!

You did a great job!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sara

KathiG
04-03-2003, 08:00 PM
I was reading my latest Glass Pattern Quarterly and there is an article on "learning to lead" where the artisit includes using glazing compund after the leading and soldering is finished. I had never thought about doing that. Has anyone used this meathod? If so, what do you think about it? Does it add strength to the windows? Enquiring minds want to know....ok I want to know <g>:confused:

Gntl
08-09-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by KathiG
I was reading my latest Glass Pattern Quarterly and there is an article on "learning to lead" where the artisit includes using glazing compund after the leading and soldering is finished. I had never thought about doing that. Has anyone used this meathod? If so, what do you think about it? Does it add strength to the windows? Enquiring minds want to know....ok I want to know <g>:confused:

I have only been doing stained glass for a short time, but it is my understanding that the glazing is simply to keep water from getting down into the nooks an crannies where it might freeze in inclimate weather and break the panel. I am led to believe that it does nothing for the strength or intergrity of the piece.

I scanned a photograph to develope the pattern from which this panel was built. The panel is 40 inches tall. I haven't tackled decorative soldering yet or learned the in/outs of panel reinforcement so I soldered decorative ladder chain around the outside edge of the bevels to give a nice finished look and provide some additional panel strength. The chain length that goes across the bottom and up the sides has been cut long, so it also serves as the hanger for the piece.

ValorieCox
08-09-2003, 01:42 AM
I can not tell you all how delighted I am to be seeing this incredible stained glass! I want to comment on each and every piece! :clap:

...but it's 2:00am and I really must stop drooling and get to bed!...

Thank you all for sharing, and please show more!

Val

Gntl
08-09-2003, 01:51 AM
I usually work in copper and foil but this is the first leaded panel that I did. I cannot take any credit for the pattern .... I just grabbed it off the net someplace.

Where I live, stained glass panels are seldom seen mounted outside where exposed to the elements. If in exterior walls they are most often sandwiched between sheets of glass as a window, or used as hanging panels. Screw hooks in the window frames work very well as panel hangers and pass nicely for stained glass windows if not scruitenized to closely.

Forgive the angle, was trying to avoid reflection from the camera's flash.

glasstar8-Janet
08-09-2003, 12:21 PM
I haven't worked any stained glass since the 70's-90's. I have made some stained glass stepping stones and small items. I hope my pictures show.

glasstar8-Janet

glasstar8-Janet
08-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Here is another picture of the butterfly.

glasstar8-Janet

glasstar8-Janet
08-09-2003, 12:24 PM
This is a picture of one of the stepping stones.

glasstar8-Janet

ValorieCox
08-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Oh Janet, these are great--I've been waiting to see your work, after our many PM exchanges this week--they are so beautiful!

That last one is a stepping stone? Wow!

Thanks everyone for sharing, this is my favorite thread this week!

Val

froggee501
08-09-2003, 12:39 PM
WOW... I love stained glass so much... I just got back from San Francisco area over a week ago. I took SO many pictures of stained glass in CA, especially in Grace Cathedral. I want to learn stained glass so bad...

Gntl
08-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by glasstar8-Janet
I haven't worked any stained glass since the 70's-90's. I have made some stained glass stepping stones and small items. I hope my pictures show.

glasstar8-Janet

The butterfly and the stone are both both very good. I am especially interested on the soldering on the butterfly. Do you do decorative soldering or had applied some sort of edging?

I have a housefull of pets (3 dogs, 1 cat, and 4 birds). my little wife has decided she wants them all 'immortalized' on stepping stones. There is to be two sets depicting the animals, to go into two triangular patches of grass in out back yard. There will be nine stones in each set, with a pattern that spans across them all. I have just started the first set and I use mostly scrap glass for the stones, so the work progresses between other projects (that generate the scrap). Since I can only post pictures one at a time, this picture is the pattern(s) for the first set. I will post a picture of the first stone I have finished on a following post. This set of stones depicts our birds (one love bird, an eclectes parrot, a senegal parrot, and a blue crowned conure), and our cat. I haven't yet made patterns for the dog set.

Gntl
08-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Mistakes happen ... one piece of glass moved a bit when pouring the concrete, maybe I will make another ... but probably not.

This is the first stone finished of the set.... have to generate some more scraps before I continue on

glasstar8-Janet
08-09-2003, 02:41 PM
I'am glad you had an eye for that edge around the butterfly. The decorative soldering is soldering chain onto your work for an edge. You have to use your horseshoe nails and hold your glass with the chain tight. Get your soldering going, sometimes it moves and you have to go back and start over . It's fun and has a different effect.

I like your idea with the stepping stone too!

Thanks, glasstar8-Janet

MaureenKennedy
08-09-2003, 05:55 PM
I feel I must correct a misunderstanding. Stained glass panels/windows that are "leaded" with lead cames, should be "glazed" - otherwise the process called as "cementing". The thickness of the glass is smaller than the channel of the lead. For very small panels, you can get away without cementing it. For larger panels you must cement it inorder to prevent the glass from flexing and rattling, even if it is an inside window protected by your regular window. While it was true that initially this cementing process was to protect the window from outside exposure, now it is done for strength. Lead came, even when it has been stretched, is very soft and will sag over time.

PS - it is paper butterfly in the box below

Gntl
08-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by MaureenKennedy
I feel I must correct a misunderstanding. Stained glass panels/windows that are "leaded" with lead cames, should be "glazed" [/i]

I stand corrected .. perhaps I had misunderstood the discussion I had heard concerning cementing leaded panels. I was once told that if I ever tried doing lead that I would never go back to foil because it was so much easier/faster. I will not argue any about it being faster, but I run out of hands trying to hold glass, lead, hammer, and nails! Perhaps it is because I initially learned using foil, but foil is still my preference.

MaureenKennedy
08-10-2003, 09:32 PM
I agree, I like doing foil also. But there is only so far you can go in size with foil (about 2' x 2" is max suggested) and have to switch to came for strength of the piece. You can combine both methods into the same piece.

Ann*S
08-10-2003, 11:52 PM
I always found foil to be very meditative in the actual preparation of the piece. ..but, yes, Maureen, it is limiting.
Great thread.
Ann

Gntl
08-12-2003, 01:43 PM
I certainly seem to be the recipient of 'opposite' opinions from those people I have talked to about many of the physical aspects of glass art.

The instructor I took my beginner's course from had us purchase all the supplies to glaze leaded panels, but then when it came to the point that we would have applied it, she advised us that 'if it doesn't rattle ... dont bother'.

In that same class there was a "seasoned glasser", who had taken it to learn stepping stones. The instructor, and that student had a running debate going on about foil vs leaded panels are needed due to physical size. They took opposite sides. One of them claimed foil was stronger for large panels, while the other recommended lead. In all of their discussions they had never mentioned anything about reinforcing either other than by making came frames. On larger panels they simply used larger came and slipped rebar in the came's provided channel.

I don't make any geometric designs, so am always working with irregularly shaped pieces of glass. I have made several panels about 40 inches tall, have framed them with came, and not thought to much about reinforcement. Now I am wondering if I had put all that time an effort into pieces that are going to begin falling apart in a year or two.

Can anyone give me clarification? If foil construction is properly reinforced, is it suitable for larger panels? Is there available "strong" lead for reinforcement of leaded panels? Gawd I am confused!

Thanks

Glascinder
08-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi! I've been doing stained glass for about 8 years...I think. I still love making things. Last fall I discovered lampworking and have been doing that ever since. I'm also a quilter and I recently got into fusing. My husband is really into the fusing aspect but I dabble in it too. I guess you can say...I love all kinds of glass art.
Cinda

I have lots of pictures of stained glass projects. Here are some.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2003/16222-bathroom_cabinet.jpg
This is one of the bathroom cabinets I did when we moved into our house.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2003/16222-ch_nightlight.jpg
This is the latest one I finished last month. It's a nightlight that hangs on the wall. My husband did the woodworking. It was given to my niece on her baptism.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2003/16222-pond_fountain.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2003/16222-closeup.jpg
We have a small pond and this is the fountain part that I made.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2003/16222-porch_lights.jpg
A couple lights for my mom's house.

KayB7
08-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Gntl

I have only been doing stained glass for a short time, but it is my understanding that the glazing is simply to keep water from getting down into the nooks an crannies where it might freeze in inclimate weather and break the panel. I am led to believe that it does nothing for the strength or intergrity of the piece.

I scanned a photograph to develope the pattern from which this panel was built. The panel is 40 inches tall. I haven't tackled decorative soldering yet or learned the in/outs of panel reinforcement so I soldered decorative ladder chain around the outside edge of the bevels to give a nice finished look and provide some additional panel strength. The chain length that goes across the bottom and up the sides has been cut long, so it also serves as the hanger for the piece.

Every book I've read and class I have taken in lead has included glazing (or puttying) as a standard practice. It stabilizes the glass inside the lead channels and adds stability to the lead framework. Remember that lead is not stiff... it bends and cuts very easily. Think of it like packing a softside suitcase. All the clothes you just lay in the middle can flop around pretty easy. but when you stuff all your socks and underwear in around the sides and pack it in tight the clothes are less likely to float around, and the suitcase fills out and and is less squishy. (Ok...yes, I DO stuff my socks and undies in the side...no one's going to see them when they get wrinkled anyway!)

KayB7
08-14-2003, 01:39 PM
GNTL....

There is TONS of information about reinforement, panel strength, and how to tell when you need to reinforce on the Warner-Criv chat board. Search the archives and you'll find more info than you ever wanted to read!

http://www.warner-criv.com/glasschat/

Gntl
08-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by KayB7
GNTL....

There is TONS of information about reinforement, panel strength, and how to tell when you need to reinforce on the Warner-Criv chat board. Search the archives and you'll find more info than you ever wanted to read!

http://www.warner-criv.com/glasschat/

Thanks! Will check out that chat board as well. I have gained alot of new information from this thread, and one other that I have been following. The people here are sure willing to share their information :)

LindaS
08-16-2003, 12:25 AM
These panels are copper foil. We installed them up against the existing glass and the wood frame provides the support. They are 6 ft. tall and we had to secure each panel to a long board while moving them from the work area... that was a bit nerve wracking!
They look really pretty from the outside but I was not able to get a decent picture.

Gntl
08-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by LindaS
These panels are copper foil. We installed them up against the existing glass and the wood frame provides the support. They are 6 ft. tall and we had to secure each panel to a long board while moving them from the work area... that was a bit nerve wracking!
They look really pretty from the outside but I was not able to get a decent picture.

I can understand the heebie-jeebies while moving these, but they sure are lovely :)

Sophia757
01-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Bump. More!!!! Let's see more! :clap:

I have such a craving to try this. Anyone have favorite sources and suppliers?

llglassdesigns
01-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Wow, I know this is an old thread, but I love that door. Great job!

Deb

loco
01-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Wonderful work!

For all you stained glassies I found this web site, they have a monthly contest and you could win free glass! Looked kwell to me, so I thought I would share.

http://www.americanbevel.com/contest.asp

I am not connected with this company in any way.

MiniLady
01-06-2005, 04:29 PM
It's interesting to see how many lampworkers and fusers started off as stained glass artists. Here is a picture of my latest commisioned piece. It is a 20" octogonal window to go into a friend's house. He gave it to his wife for a Christmas present.

mwyn
02-03-2005, 02:11 AM
What wonderful photos and ideas.
Geez; the fountain piece is incredible, the moon stepping stone, the long panels :D . I'm using copper foil. I made a Jillian Sawyer fairy; blew it up to about 24" in length & so far so good. It's hanging free form. Still secure. I really appreciate the idea of using decorative chain as reinforcement. Duh, that was a 'slapping my forehead' moment there. Why didn't I think of that?? I'm working on my second window now. It's ready to be soldered, yahoo. Finished foiling the last piece tonight. I'll probably build a wood frame around it like I did for the first one.
That 3 D butterfly was incredible too.
Wow.
mwyn

raynsandy
02-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Here some of what my wife and I put together.
In two of them, we used silhouttes in the fore front to accent the glass. The silhouttes were custom made and not readily availble on the market.
The barn is a design of our own its on a free standing base about 2' tall with 6" of space between the silhouette and the glass to put a plant, the hearth slab is a couple designs put together, the desert scene is a hanging picture but as you can see we just have it sitting in the bottom of the window. (I didnt finish my job).....
Great job everyone.

winter_glass
02-03-2005, 08:28 AM
here is two i did for my dd so she would have something in her new house

lpi
02-03-2005, 08:48 AM
I wanted something with simple lines and bright colors...I made this last Sunday.....
http://community.webshots.com/user/fused101

unburied treasure
02-03-2005, 09:10 AM
:clap: I'm so glad to hear about and see stained glass work posted! My sister and I own a gallery and I've been so busy making 'tourist stuff' that I've forgotten how great it feels to make fine art. I've fallen into teaching classes to keep things afloat until the season starts again. I'll fuse and make beads, but I really love stainted glass and will now figure out how to post pics here and check every day. I hope this thread will keep growing and stimulate more great Stained glass work!

mwyn
02-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I soldered my window today and was able to hold it up to the light. Ahhhh. I love this art. I too used simple lines and colors for this project. AND I don't yet know how to post pics. Need to learn that.
Next project is a 2 drawer box that will match the window in the bath.
I found an interesting site on line. Ray your work made me think of this man; http://www.artmakers.com/terrariums/windows/ Ron Gladkowski. He makes a combination window/terrarium. I love looking at his stuff. Gives me something to aspire to.
I enjoy the new photos :D. I hope this thread keeps growing too! I'm off to find a few tutorials. And look at some of the artwork here. I've got a lot of exploring to do. This place is Hugh. I signed in a few months ago & then forgot. :( It was another one of those still awake at 4AM computer nights.
mwyn

Sophia757
02-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I did it! :clap: (Thanks, Joanie! :wave: ) I made my first ever lamp from some scrap glass. Who knew soldering was such an exact science? And, if you make a pattern, you should really try to be more exact in the grinding so things match up! :D I love this, though! Very eager to make more! Anyone have favorite places to buy glass?

mwyn
02-13-2005, 05:27 AM
Your lamps look great. I've been on line looking for strip/circle cutters. The prices vary about $10.00. I haven't bought any glass on line. I've been looking at Vecchio - it's a lot cheaper on line than the one & only place that's available to me. Anyone have any comments about buying on line & service? Any problems with broken glass????
The cutter at the shop is about $20.00 above what's on-line. I desperately need an alternative to the shop.
mwyn

hjvan
02-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Here's a stained glass cactus I made. I used slumped broken beads for the flowers. (not the big one on top; I made it out of glass globs/nuggets) Also a stained glass mosaic birdbath.

hjvan
02-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Let's try this again.....

lpi
02-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Really cool catus.......Heres a mosaic plant bench and a mosaic base that I made for the garden....

http://community.webshots.com/user/fused101

hjvan
02-13-2005, 12:25 PM
I am only going to try ONCE more to post the pic of my birdbath.....then I'm give up........................
Great garden bench and I love your gazing ball stand/base! :)

Peg
02-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Haven't done any stained glass for awhile but loved all your pictures of pieces you have made. The catus dish garden, Julie is so original it really caught my eye and I loved it. Keep posting everyone your work is great. Peg M

aanraku
07-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Actually, the students here along with the local artists do. Mostly I just sit behind a desk pushing papers to keep the studio open for others :clap: :clap:

You can view the students and artists works here.

http://www.abasg.com/galleries.htm

Pick student artists gallery.

Peg
07-03-2005, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=WhiteHotGlassWorks]And a close up of the iris. The window is 43" by 26 1/2". It will someday be set in a window made just for the size that it needs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2002/wcwndw3.jpg

Bobby[/QUOTE

Gorgeous! Makes me want to do stained glass again. Beads and equipment have taken over the space, but some of my stained glass makes great beads. May have to re-think and make a piece. Loved the colors and your lovely design. Great detail. Peg M

Just Nancy
07-03-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm a stained glass and mosaic person. I've tinkered with fusing and pmc but neither tripped my trigger.

Mostly I teach the stained glass and mosaics, make beads and dream of making ornaments. :D

I have given away most of the things I've done. None compare to what's been shown. I was into 3D houses and kaleidoscopes for quite awhile.

I had a big window I took down to take a picture to be considered for our state group's new brochure. Before I got the the picture taken, it tipped and broke. :eek:

I might have few pictures. If I find them I'll post.
Nancy

Shelley S.
07-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi,
New to WC. Just getting started in lampworking. Did stained glass for years. Here are a few of mine if I can figure out how to attach!
Shelley :wave:

rosaglass
12-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I have been fusing for almost a year, now that I got a torch for christmas I am going to try to learn how to use it.
Here a couple of my newest pendant I have fused.
Merry Christmas for all!
Rosa.

aks141
12-27-2006, 01:22 AM
Rosa, that is a beautiful pendant. I suggest you also post it in today's show and tell thread so more people can see it. Since this thread was started in 2003, it might get ignored if people think they have already read it a long time ago. I'm glad you revived it though.

madnesssr
12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Awesome panels!

Here are a few from me. I have done several large panels, but it was before I purchased a digital camera.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/madnesssr/Stained%20Glass%20and%20Mosaics/tree.jpghttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/madnesssr/Stained%20Glass%20and%20Mosaics/mosaic.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/madnesssr/Stained%20Glass%20and%20Mosaics/elephant.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/madnesssr/Stained%20Glass%20and%20Mosaics/stainedglasseagle.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/madnesssr/Stained%20Glass%20and%20Mosaics/showerwindow2.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/madnesssr/Stained%20Glass%20and%20Mosaics/stainedglassflowers.jpg

Glass Gardens
12-27-2006, 10:20 PM
IIis, I guess you didn't know you were creating such a monster by asking about people who also did stained glass. I have done stained glass for 30 years, 1st producing them and selling them in the bowery in NYC. Boy I'm glad those days are gone. I specialize in bending panels for antique lamps and do a few windows.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2006/69355-crossrdysolder.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2006/69355-bevelwindowinstalled.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2006/69355-flippingstarwnd.jpg
I just finished this one for someone in Vermont who is opening a quilt studio. I hope to get a final pic of the window installed soon. As you can see I love working in copper foil but do repair work in the leaded came and yes I do glaze the window with a linseed oil and whiting mix that I make.
Thanks for all the great postings everyone!!!!

Winston Doull
12-29-2006, 09:15 AM
I take this time to wish you all the best for the New Year.
One of the glass work I enjoyed doing some years ago.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2006/35170-image0.jpg

Good bye
Winston

Firefly Glass
12-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Katie

Truley Awsome.

Firefly Glass
12-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I take this time to wish you all the best for the New Year.
One of the glass work I enjoyed doing some years ago

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2006/35170-image0.jpg

Good bye
Winston

:p You are truley an "Artist"

kerryf6
05-25-2007, 04:49 AM
gee 1 more stained glass person.... love 2 say artist but have to do it for a living, so it's all a bit ordinary.....

zeldapelda
05-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Have just finished taking my first stained glass class. Would love to continue with it. Is there a place on wetcanvas to learn about supplies, and designs?