PDA

View Full Version : need abstracters........

AliciaS
05-30-2008, 07:07 PM
hello all you abstract people....I have ben really trying to see subject matter as no- subject matter at all...but a series of shapes and their
relationship to each other....and then somehow in the process it turns
out with a recognizable subject matter.....hmmmm...so please be patient
with me...i know this is very representational but my heart was in the
right place......thanks for looking and i really need you to critique it as an
abstract...is that is possible....
:heart: :heart:

AliciaS
05-30-2008, 07:11 PM
help.....!!! I can't get my picture up...I keep getting a pop-up sound and
an exclamation point!!! what do i do?

AliciaS
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/118892-IMG_1404.JPG Never Mind....here it is..........

keenart
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Beautiful work as always.

My Italian art teacher used to try to break us of seeing things. So he would take a magazine article and turn it upside down and we had to paint a black and white tonal study in 30 minutes. Every time we started to tilt our head, the mahl stick tapped our shoulder. After a couple of these trials, it worked I was painting half a dozen models all in one group in 30 minutes, something that would have taken me days to complete before.

vargamari
05-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I honestly admire your works! This is amazing, too!
I really don't know if it is an abstract, or just a wonderful, enjoyable art-piece that counts, I believe!
You got here the perfect mixture of light, colours, textures, proportions, I don't feel anything more to add, nothing more, nothing less. Keep your eyes this way further, it's great!

:wave:

Lynxes123
05-30-2008, 07:41 PM
This is breathtaking! I love how the sun is playing over her and she almost seems to be melding into the landscape!! :clap:

wiscojaydub
05-30-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/45108-118892-IMG_1404.JPG

Abstracted shapes and forms,shadings and contrasts , and textures.

Kate Thornton
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!

There's nothing wrong with *not* painting strictly abstract! (This beautiful piece attests to that)

wiscojaydub's abstraction of its elements is a marvelous exercise, too.

I think if you paint the *idea* rather than the picture of something, you are on the abstract road. But this piece is so lovely, there's no need to change it (in my humble opinion)

Wilsonart
05-31-2008, 01:37 AM
She's excellent, as is. :thumbsup:

vhere
05-31-2008, 07:42 AM
I agree - excellent, as is.

AliciaS
05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions and comments..Jan, Mari, Lynette,Wisco, Kate,babs and vivien.
Jan--I turn my paintings upside also...and that is when they look like they just aren't working...I agree with your teacher...!
Mari- thank you for your kind words. It is less information than what I usually do...I am glad you like it!
Lynette- I like how you see her melting into the background...I wanted her and the surrounding areas to almost be as one shape...but that you still could identify where her body is....thank you for you compliments!!
Wisco- I like what you did...I just don't think in the pastel medium I can create such a beautiful look as what you have done in digital...but I do think I get what you are showing me...the geometric shapes look great!!
Kate-thanks..I will keep this painting in my representational pile...maybe do it again in another way...
Babs- thank you so much!
Vivien-Thank you also!:D

AliciaS
05-31-2008, 12:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2008/118892-IMG_1406.JPG here is a close-up..i used tiny shapes and strokes to create the dimension in the face...and not a lot of detail..

wiscojaydub
05-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Your paintings have all been great! I think you are looking for options to explore.

AliciaS
05-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement WJD....I am searching...not necessarily to find the truth..(because we all know there is no absolute truth...for everyone..) but as you said it so eloquently,,,I am looking for options to explore....I think we all are....at least the artists that want to grow..and be open ....thanks again for taking the time to look and comment....:heart:

JiMiCrAcK
05-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Alicia. i like your stuff. You might look at the posts on here by Dhuot. I think he has a really neat style of abstracted portraits. Here is my thoughts on how you could get a touch more abstract. Maybe instead of strokes you could try jabbing the brush at the canvas. It might look something like this....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2008/91818-31.jpg

ThreeWolves
05-31-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm curiouse, what are you trying to accomplish with your abstraction? Do you have a vision? You are allready a master at suggestion.

AliciaS
05-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I want to say more with less.

wenkat
06-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Whethter it is an abstract or not (or btetter still with or without shapes) is not the buring question. First, it should please the soul of the artist who does it. Rest follows. We can get a latent feeling of the artitst's own satisfaction from his work and I feel that has direct relationship with the reaction from outside his space.
Btw, i like it very much so also of Wis!

Wenkat

ThreeWolves
06-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Well said wenkat.

stlukesguild
06-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I have ben really trying to see subject matter as no- subject matter at all...but a series of shapes and their relationship to each other....

To a certain extent all art is abstract... and even the most polished realists think in abstract terms as well... color relationships, shapes and their interrelationships, the look of the paint as a physical material, the mark-making, etc...

...and then somehow in the process it turns
out with a recognizable subject matter.....hmmmm...

Are you saying that you begin with no image in mind... just relationships of colors, shapes, etc... and at some point these congeal into an image that is representational? Or do you begin with an image... a subject... that you wish to strip down into something more elemental? If you are beginning with no image in mind I might note that a good portion of the great abstract artists rejected out of hand the idea that their art was about nothing but abstract relationships of color, line, shape, etc... There were some exceptions... absolute formalists like Albers and early Frank Stella, but Rothko, Motherwell, DeKooning, Klee, etc... had a subject in mind. Often they sought to give a visual form to a subject that was not rooted in visual perceptions... ie. to their feelings, to sound or music, to motion, etc...

If, as I suspect, your working habits are closer to the latter method... beginning with an image/subject that you wish to strip down to something more elemental (to say more with less) then I would suggest you become very clear as to which elements are the most important to you in the images you are working from. Is it color, light, movement, the character of the sitter/model? Then look at examples by your predecessors who dealt with these issues. Matisse sought to hone down an image to something so elemental as it might be held in our memories... stripped of all superfluous details... while working hard to capture the perfect color relationships. Of course the Impressionists all sacrificed detail and clear contours in order the suggest the play of light and color. Post_Impressionists such as Gauguin, Van Gogh, and Redon took this idea even further... often focusing more upon their emotional response to a subject than to their visual perceptions. Soutine, Van Gogh, and Modigliani are magnificent for capturing the character of sitters in the most stripped-down manner. Looking at your paintings... which certainly suggest Impressionism... I would especially suggest you take a close look at Bonnard and the San Francisco or California School (Richard Diebenkorn, Paul Wonner, Elmer Bischoff, even the contemporary Kevin Bean) who built upon the ideas of Impressionism... focusing on light and color... and also focusing largely upon the figure.

crogala
06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
It may not be abastract however is is wonderful. It has a light airy feel. I love it.

AliciaS
06-01-2008, 01:13 PM
stlukesguild- the latter is what I am trying to achieve..I do have a subject in mind, and a story to tell, i want to tell the story, have some kind of an effect on the viewer,(i don't care what it is) and to strip it down into something elemental ( as you said so eloquently). Thank you for all your insight and suggestions...from what you have stated, i think i am on the right track..and i will know when i am reaching my destination...I appreciate so much all the time you took in your post....I will digest it....
And thank you Crogala for your kind compliments.

vhere
06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
another to look at is Rose Hilton, widow of the artist Roger Hilton - she does beautifully simplified figures in soft colours