PDA

View Full Version : Mark Montana / Hyperrealist portrait artist

Mark Montana
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
:wave:Hello Everyone.

In an effort to be less reclusive and a little more interactive with my fellow artists, i have decided to ACTUALLY post some of my work here...what a concept ;-)

These are a few of my drawings.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/106421-WTC_Theresa.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/106421-WTC_Mom_detail.jpg

This first drawing is of my mother. It is based on photographs taken on her 70th Birthday in Jan/2000. My mom HATES to have her picture taken, and only let me take a couple of shots of her before she had had enough. Her reluctance coupled with my (then) incompetence with a camera produced fairly lousy pictures upon which to base a drawing, but i worked with what I was given.
I am preparing to do a painting of her based on photos I took of her last November (at 77 years old). The night before, i had set up my photo gear to take her picture for her passport, and the pictures reflected her discomfort in front of the camera. The next morning (to my amazement), she happily posed for shot after shot, and i got some incredible source material to base a new portrait on. Below, is the Photoshop composite of several photographs from that day. The original background is stark white, but i think it makes her hair appear too dark so i am leaning towards this medium grey/green (like her eye color).

BTW: She is about 20 lbs lighter here than she was for the first portrait.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/106421-WTC-Mom-composite.jpg

My mom is a complete character and a very interesting portrait subject. I could be biased, but i also think she is quite beautiful...still...at almost 80!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/106421-WTC_Natalie.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/106421-WTC_half_Nat.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/106421-WTC_Natalie_Eye.jpg

The girl ("Natalie") is a drawing i am (sorta) working on. She is a friend of mine, and the photos the drawing is based on were taken some time ago...with grainy 35mm film. The drawing is based on photographs that were taken for her head shots (she is an opera singer), and they simply don't offer anywhere near the amount of detail that i need to sucessfully complete a portrait...so i am a bit bored with it...although i LOVE LOVE LOVE her face and hair, so i return to it every now and again.

OK..that is probably MORE than enough for an intorduction.
I am VERY interested in hearing from other portrait artists who might be able to offer suggestions for drumming up clients for my (very specific) style of portraiture.
Cheers, and I look forward to getting to know some of you.
Mark

doodledee
05-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Wow, these are amazing!

Mark Montana
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
thank you muchly..or as they say here in Sweden: Tack sa mycket!

Bnsmalkin
05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
:clap: Oh My!!!!!!!!:clap:

Your abilities are astounding. I would love to be a student of your tutaledge.

This is what I would love to acheive!! :D

An absolute fan!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sharon :wave:

jocelynsart
05-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Welcome here!!! You have a wonderful style. You remind me of my friend Bill Lazos, who does hyper real portraits like this.
Jocelyn

Mark Montana
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Thank you very much Sharon...I have always had a tendency to not listen to compliments, but as I get older, they are really nice to get and muchly appreciated.

I consider myself more of a student than a teacher, but I will happily share my lessons as i learn them.

gaykir
05-30-2008, 06:16 PM
You are amazing!!

RADAR
05-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Well if you don't Take the cake (and all of it at that ), and here i thought i was a stickler for detail.............those are simply breathtaking,...Welcome To WC.:clap:
Gary

Selahs art
05-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes excellent.

Retha

larubia
05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Welcome to WC....yes ..your mother is a very beautiful woman.
Your work is amazing...what patience and perserverance you have.Thankyou for showing them...really enjoyed studying them:thumbsup: and hope to see more in the future!

Roxie Real
05-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Wow, these are truly beautiful. Did it take you a long time to get all that detail? I am a fan too. Roxie

NDee
05-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Wow! Amazing detail! I rather like the ones that have unfinished bits to them so that you can tell they're drawings. Especially the opera singer. That is magnificent! I can see why you're smitten by that face and hair.

terence p
05-31-2008, 12:32 AM
these are something else! I have never seen anything like it. wonderful

arachosia
05-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Hey Mark,
These are extremely well done. I can't imagine how much time it must have taken to achieve this level of insane detail.

I do have a question for you, which I hope doesn't offend you in any way. I am just wondering what is the point of photorealistic drawings/paintings? I mean, why not just take a photograph? It's a heck of a lot easier and faster and the end result is the same. I've always wondered this about photorealistic artists, but I've never had the chance to ask. Again, I hope you don't take offense to my question. I think you're very talented, but I'm just curious.

Have you heard of Chuck Close? He started out doing largescale photorealistic paintings like your drawings. He still does them but now they are extremely abstract up close and only begin looking like photos from a good distance. Anyway, maybe you should start thinking about how seperate yourself from the other "realists" out there...just a thought.

Oh, I have one more question. What do you use to draw these? ANd how do you get the highlights? Do you create the highlights by erasing or do you draw them with white conte or something? I can never seem to create the really delicate highlights like you have in the guy's beard for example. And these are done on graph paper I see...interesting. I really like how you let the grid show through on some of these.

Mark Montana
05-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Hey "Arachosia" (sorry, i don’t know your name)
OK, here goes...remember: YOU ASKED FOR IT ;-))

I don't take offense at that question when it is asked (as it seems you have) in the spirit of genuinely trying to understand the value of photorealism. I take offense when people feel the need to denigrate the accomplishment of the photorealist in order justify other forms of art that require less technical proficiency.

The SHORTEST answer is: Why not?
The ‘short answer’ is: There is no inherent value in ANYTHING…art or otherwise…therefore, if it has value and merit to you, then THAT is the value of the piece. If enough people feel the same way, then it can be argued that something has value.

I think the crux of your question is: "where is the individual expression of the artist when he has slavishly copied every last detail from a photograph?" To a certain extent, I agree with you, but often times though, what masquerades as “artistic expression" is nothing more than the artist getting it wrong.

If an artist inaccurately renders the contours of a person's nose, or misplaces an eye by a few millimeters, is that artistic license or just shoddy workmanship?

Isn't the larger question: What is art?

If Damien Hearst is an 'artist', then why not the editorial department at "The Onion"?

I always marvel at WHY the question of 'WHY' is so often directed at photorealists. Why not ask 'WHY' David Hack-ney has been so successful...or ‘WHY’ Martin Creed gets an entire room at MOMA for his installation "lights going on and off".
One artist (who shall remain nameless...cuz' i can't remember his name ;)) was working on a series of canvasses which were each painted in a single color. The artist was very clear that he didn't use a roller or spray paint on each canvas, but instead, used a small paint brush, and built up the color using as many as 20 glazes. He called these canvasses "Color Portraits" (as in: portrait of the color blue, etc.).

Since I did roughly the same thing to my bathroom walls in my NYC apartment, I wondered why he is considered an 'artist' and not a ‘craftsman’. Where is the 'WHY' associated with HIS work? His artist's statement was FIVE PARAGRAPHS LONG and referenced Masters like Sargent and Vermeer (...uh…I think he forgot Sherwin Williams ;-))

In my mind, a photograph and a photorealistic painting or drawing are completely different things. One requires virtually no more effort than pressing a button while the other requires (sometimes) MONTHS of hard work and close observation and a deep understanding of the 3 dimensional REAL WORLD attributes are of the thing or person one is rendering. Photorealism also requires the artist to understand photography, photographic lighting, and the limitations of the camera and lens...and printer...etc.
As you may know if you have ever tried to photograph your own artwork, by merely tilting the camera up or down a millimeter or two, you will change the shape and proportions of the object you are photographing. The same rule applies when photographing a person.
Depending on the lens chosen (24 mm produces vastly different results than 70mm) a photograph of a person may make the nose appear larger and the ears appear smaller. There are also limitations having to do with tonal range and color shift, etc...The limitations are limitless!

I am not a true Photorealist or Hyperrealist, in that I am not concerned with mimicking things like the color shift that takes place in the printing process. Although I have (at times) borrowed the illusion of 3 dimensionality that comes from a shallow depth of field, this has been out of necessity more than personal preference. Instead, I use photographs (shot from many different focal lengths) to help me to understand the contours of the thing I am rendering, so that I can create the illusion of 3 dimensionality. In that process, there are countless decisions and artistic judgments that are made. In other words: I am not just a human Xerox machine. One could argue that I am a Trompe LOeilist…but that is not an issue I need concern myself with.

I am familiar with Chuck Close and greatly admire him as an artist, although he and I are trying to achieve very different things. His paintings often seek to explore the illusions of the camera that we take as the gospel and the nature of optics (a lesson well worth listening to).
In summation:
If it were necessary for mankind to evacuate the planet and move to Mars (...uh...can’t we go someplace with a beach?:o ), and there were only room on the spaceship for either Chuck Close’s portrait of his wife , or Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain”, which would YOU choose?

justjean
05-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Amazing, and how wonderful :thumbsup:

Dana Design
05-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Leadhed, amazing work and a gorgeous mother! Absolutely beautiful and a joy to examine closely.

Also love your sense of humor...Sherwin Williams, indeed! LOL!

Creative Genius
05-31-2008, 12:18 PM
To cool. When the first tribal person looking in the mirror at themselves they screamed! To touch reality is powerful.

AlisonsArt
05-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Your work is amazing. I love the detail. It's amazing how those working in photorealism have so many different styles. Your style shines through in these and it is outstanding. Thank you so much for sharing your work.

jocelynsart
05-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree, there is always the artists hand and style evident, even in the most hyper of realistic or photorealist work.

Wassie
05-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Well put, Mark! I've heard that question so many times - why not just use a camera? I wish I'd had you here to answer for me.
And as far as your drawings - well, you have given me something to which I can aspire. I am sitting here at my computer, looking at your drawings and your eye for detail, wondering how you accomplished this, my chin dropped down to my keyboard with drool dripping all over. I am just in awe!:clap:
Please keep posting more of your work!

And please post your process, from start to finish, how you accomplish all that detail. I would like to know what materials you use, paper, pencils, etc., and what size these portraits are.

And, your mother is beautiful!

Mark Montana
05-31-2008, 06:03 PM
thanx Quwatha (i have never heard that name before),

U R 2sweet. I especially appreciate the compliments to my mother and i thank you on her behalf too!

I am just about to post a WIP with TONS (to much) info about my process. it should be posted within the hour.
thanx for the good energy and humor. cheers.

eliza ollin
05-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for sharing these, Mark! I look forward to seeing more! Do you paint as well?

I personally love this type of work, it shows an incredible amount of seeing, understanding, and virtuousity, not to mention you are making artistic decisions the entire time, not just copying one random image exactly, so I've never understood the whole "just take a picture" attitude...

Rowey
05-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok Leadhed, i fully agree with all your reply to the WHY! question. If i wanted a portrait of myself i would want one warts and all, even though i have none, warts that is!.I dont get this idea of art is a painting that kind of looks like something therefore you are an artist, or you can draw a portrait like you have done and go 'oh my god i wish i had his talent' enough said. I appreciate all art and i dont think the question is WHY it is HOW?

Tracey x

Garland
05-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Hi Mark,

Such wonderful work and subject choices you have here. I certaintly look forward to seeing more of your work as I am sure others are also.

Maybe I missed it in reading all this too fast, but are you using a pencil or pencils or what. I am really curious about that down even to the brands and variations of pencils or drawing instruments you use.

I am curious about your developing history as an artist also, Verses when you 1st started drawing do you now find yourself drawing and getting the likeness the 1st time out, Or is it more like you get very close likeness and then do slight adjustments or how? And this is from a person that draws a face 99times over and over til I get the likeness; now I think I'm down to 98 times over and over and what was your time frame to your current skill level, that is how long ?

nate reed
06-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Leadhed,
Very well done. Your artwork and your explanation about your realistic expression are both grounded in truth. Nice. Keep up the good WORK.:thumbsup:

NDee
06-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I adore your explanation of art. I'm printing it out and hanging it by my easel.

CreativeHal
06-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Hiya Mark,

You are a master with the pencil portraits; excellent work. You must have the patience of a Saint because I know how long and tedious it becomes in order to obtain the effects you get. I use to draw portraits with a very high degree of details as you do. Mine were not as good as yours but nevertheless, it took me hours and hours of rendering to get the details necessary to achieve the results that I wanted. They were published in the Baltimore News American newspaper. As you well know Mark, there aren't any shortcuts in this technique, only craftsmanship and skill....and patience.

I don't have many of those early drawings I did but here's one I did for the sports page of that newspaper.
http://haroldshull.com/_wsn/page5.html

You are very talented Mark and I hope you stick around and show us some more of your portraits.

Hal

Mark Montana
06-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Hey Hal...thank you so much for the compliments...you are right about there being no short cuts...Perhaps that is why I feel there is no need to keep my "techniques" a secret...If someone has the patience to do it, then more power to them.

Your work is really beautiful, and you have been quite prolific it appears. I especially appreciated your self portraits and your beautiful portrait of 'Duke'.
I am thinking of doing a picture of my dog Madison. I have taken (literally) thousands and thousands of photos of her, so I have a wealth of material to 'draw' upon.

BTW: your illustration of the football player just gave me a sort of epiphany of why I am so detail-centric. When I was in the 5th grade, my math teacher "Coach" Cornilaud, commissioned me to draw a picture of him playing football from his college days.
The picture he provided me with was a blurry B&W 8x10 of him running with a football tucked under his arm. Since I was not into athletics, i had no idea what football gear consisted of, or what I was supposed to be rendering.
I went to the public library to find pictures of the uniform (ah...the days before the internet) and looked at Sports Illustrated too, but I couldn't really grasp what I was supposed to be drawing.
Coach Cornilaud LOVED his finished picture and kept it up in class for several weeks...but I HATED it...I was so embarrassed by what I considered to be a blurry mess of a picture, that i offered to buy it back from him...no deal. He finally took it down because he said he could see it was making me miserable.

After that experience, i would only accept commissions if someone could provide me with razor sharp photographs (uh...I seem to remember doing a lot of portraits based on photographs from Olan Mills Studios ;) )

kentiessen
06-02-2008, 10:19 AM
World class work, Mark! Extraordinary detail and technique- I appreciate your skills and patience. I have much less of the latter these (ever shorter) days.

My parents had a large mountain painting from a friend when I was young, and I realized only a few years ago the unconcious impact on my chosen subjects in art.

Ken

Mark Montana
06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
thanx Ken....excellent, really lovely work..and a really lovely site as well. yes..the days are getting shorter, aren't they.

littlebeech
06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
When I saw your drawings I liked very much what I saw !!!

I have always had a tendency to not listen to compliments, but as I get older, they are really nice to get and muchly appreciated.

Your "fault" :evil: that you get so many compliments - your works are simply "too" impressive.

BTW - I like your Farnsworth-portrait a lot. This combination of very detailed areas and only indicated ones creates an exciting tension.

Greetings from Dresden,
:wave:Beate

arachosia
06-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Mark, thanks for taking the time to explain why it is you do what you do. Knowing now that to you there is a major difference between an actual photograph and a drawing that is made to look like a photograph, I can begin to see the value behind doing such work. And I admire the fact that rather than simply copying a photograph inch by inch, you consider things like distortion and try to understand the figure in all three dimensions. I think far too may artists rely to heavily on photos these days, accepting them as gospel. But thankfully you realize that photos do not always tell the truth and sometimes even the best photos fail to convey a person's essense. This is good.

And just for the record, I never called into question your artistic merits. I do believe you are an artist, and a good one at that, although I suppose the majority of pretentious art critics would beg to differ because, unfortunately, we live in an era where technical craftsmanship lives in the shadow of ideas. Today it is all about the conceptual. And while I do sometimes admire the creativity, cleverness and poignancy of some conceptual artists, I also find it almost insulting that they are held to such a pedigree as technical masters like Michelangelo and Rembrandt.

Borum
06-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Mark, thanks for taking the time to explain why it is you do what you do. Knowing now that to you there is a major difference between an actual photograph and a drawing that is made to look like a photograph, I can begin to see the value behind doing such work. And I admire the fact that rather than simply copying a photograph inch by inch, you consider things like distortion and try to understand the figure in all three dimensions. I think far too may artists rely to heavily on photos these days, accepting them as gospel. But thankfully you realize that photos do not always tell the truth and sometimes even the best photos fail to convey a person's essense. This is good.

And just for the record, I never called into question your artistic merits. I do believe you are an artist, and a good one at that, although I suppose the majority of pretentious art critics would beg to differ because, unfortunately, we live in an era where technical craftsmanship lives in the shadow of ideas. Today it is all about the conceptual. And while I do sometimes admire the creativity, cleverness and poignancy of some conceptual artists, I also find it almost insulting that they are held to such a pedigree as technical masters like Michelangelo and Rembrandt.

Have you ever seen one of these or anything like it in real life? To me a photo (no matter how good), doesn’t appear 3d. A rendering seems to “jump” out of the page. The biggest compliment people pay to me when ever they see one of my drawings is to reach out and touch it. They can’t believe that you can do this with a pencil!

Peace

Mark Montana
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
thanx Beate / littlebeech... i think your "old Basque" turned out pretty spectacularly too.

Hi "arachosia"...(glad to see you back here): I strongly disagree that "even the best photos fail to convey a person's essence"...While i would agree that no one photograph can capture the many dimensions of an individual, the same is true for a painting or sculpture...but you bring me to a point that has been on my mind quite a bit lately.

I have been thinking a lot about the habit or need to diminish one form of artistic expression in order to elevate another (usually one's own).

Something I am itching to address in detail (I smell an article brewing) is the chronic disrespect leveled against artists who work from photographs in general and photorealists specifically.
Yesterday, i was reading an article in the portrait classroom about edges and backgrounds...These are topics relevant to artists working in a variety of styles, yet the author of the article ended the second paragraph with these two sentences:

"If your goal is to create a work of art that looks just like a photograph you can skip this section. But if you’re ready to explore and experiment with your medium to portray your subject in a manner that would never be mistaken for a photo, read on."

I am sad to say that i couldn't finish reading the article because with those two sentences, i lost all respect for the author. I am mildly embarrassed to admit that i immediately investigated the website of the author and discovered (unsurprisingly) quite a mediocre talent.

I point this out not because i am trying to be mean...well, not JUST because i am trying to be mean :evil:
I point out the mediocrity, because that attitude reflects a "smallness" of imagination. I sense in those two seemingly innocuous sentences the sour grapes of someone who has learned all of the 'rules' of what a 'good artist' does and does not do, yet their own work is flat, uninspired, and poorly executed.

How deadly dull it would be if EVERYONE felt the need to paint like Jeremy Lipking (whom I love). I do not believe in ONE way to paint or draw (or sculpt....or cook...or...play canasta)...I believe in the pursuit of EXCELLENCE in whatever style, or medium, or field one has chosen to work.

If the author of that article wanted to address the pitfalls of working from photographs, then that is a topic worthy of its own article. There ARE many limitations and distortions in photographs and a good or great photographer knows how to exploit those distortions to maximum effect.

There is (of course) much more to say on the topic, but it is my bedtime now, and I have rambled on enough. If you have read this entire entry, give yourself a pat on the back and a cookie ;-)

Dana Design
09-03-2011, 03:22 PM
I have absolutely loved this thread and it was a pleasure to reread it!

Dana Design
09-03-2011, 03:31 PM

Free2bu
09-22-2011, 03:18 PM
:wave:
I am VERY impressed. Love them!!

I too have decided to get back with the artists and have fun.

Toby

Fuchur
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
This is absolutely stunning! How on earth do you accomplish such detail and sense of reality? And how long did the portrait of your mother take you? The skin is amazing, it's like you could reach out and touch it.

I guess I'll never understand the questioning of photorealistic drawing/ painting. I think an accomlished artist is able to choose good reference photos and to compensate - if need be - flashlight pictures or the like. It definitely IS art, no doubt about that. And an immensely impressive one, too.

thesnowybee
01-29-2012, 02:19 PM
brilliant work Mark.. i just wouldnt have the patience and concentration to do this so that in its own right is an amazin skill..let alone your drawing skills

Wassie
01-30-2012, 02:23 PM
:clap: Oh My!!!!!!!!:clap:

Your abilities are astounding. I would love to be a student of your tutaledge.

This is what I would love to acheive!! :D

An absolute fan!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sharon :wave:

Me too! Me too! :clap:

pm32
08-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi Mark. Epic talent. In addition to your discussion about people denigrating different artists, I work in a digital medium, but have an open mind and appreciation for other forms of art. I believe that in most instances it is the journey not the destination that is important. The ability to close off to everything around you and to be able to immerse yourself in the task at hand is fantastic irrespective of if it is "acceptable" to the mainstream. Sometimes the most basic picture can convey an emotion that was totally unintended by the artist. I'm glad that the mainstream has not affected your views. Keep it up. Hope to see more.

leesmith
08-26-2012, 04:27 PM
i am awed and amazed at the skill and patience it takes to obtain photorealism...i worked to that end for years and NEVER EVER achieved what you have with drawing, as some dear lady announced to me while I was putting on lipstick sans mirror...she said " honey you aren't even close". And so it was with my "realism".

I am a painter and do not make a pencil or graphite drawing but "draw" with thinned paint, i call it painterly realism. Realism of any kind takes the hard knocks, so does portraiture and here you have excelled mightily at BOTH.

nitepainter2
12-17-2012, 08:05 AM
I think your work is truly spectacular. Can I ask, what pencils are you using and what tips can or would you share with the rest of us? Thanks so much for your art.

Plein Jane Artmaker
02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Amazing - I also attempt to be as realistic as possible in my drawings! I think it is time wasted to do a portrait and when someone sees it, they ask "What a nice portrait - who is it?" It takes a remarkable amount of time and talent to be truly photorealistic!

JP

cwhizz100
10-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Fabulous work done with great skill and talent. As to whether it is 'art' I've always thought that if it captures the essence or soul of the subject and moves the viewer then it's art, regardless of its style and format. That criteria certainly applies here, well done! Look forward to seeing more of your work and I'll make a point of looking up your technical info on other forums, should be fascinating.

Chris

pm32
10-25-2013, 03:09 AM
If I can add my two bits worth to some of the previous commments. I believe an artist can call himself an artist when the work that he does evokes a feeling in the viewers of his work. Be it pleasure or even horror. To evoke a passionate response from the viewer in an inanimate object or picture, is a skill and that is where even photographers can be termed artists. I admire your work and your patience to execute it but prefer work that stimulates a response. (come to that I am responding.) Luckily we are not all cast from the same mould as the world would really be boring. Dont let others comments put you off, what you clearly enjoy doing. Cheers.

Michelle Weston
12-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know where there are workshops for hyperrealism...charcoal or painting...any medium? I don't do well from youtube tutorials or books. I learn quickly but must be in person.

PaintIntoACorner
02-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Simply amazing. I'm a fan of photorealism myself. To me, it's just so exciting when you can create something like you're a camera. There's some kind of incredible delight when you can look at something that used to be a white piece of paper and now almost looks like the real thing is looking back at you. Stunning. Great work!

GraphicPortraits
03-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Mr. Montana, to say your work is impressive would be redundant at best, and understatement at worse. May I instead ask a question:

What is your position on tracing?

I can tell from your words here that you likely shun this practice, at your current level. But for someone who's learning how to draw: do you think tracing is something that can help one's progress, or an unnecessary crutch?

(As wet behind the ears as I am) I've always leaned to the latter position, but sometimes I wonder if it's unneeded stubbornness on my part.

lberry
03-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Hey Mark: I just want to say that I love your work! I am currently working on hyperrealist portraiture - it ain't easy! I also want to say that I think your mom is absolutely gorgeous - I'm turning 65 myself this April and still clean up pretty good, too - I love seeing images of beautiful, older women who obviously care about what they look like.
Louise

Reed Jones
06-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Mark, excellent breakdown of your chosen realm of expression. Why not, indeed? As much as I love the work of Chuck Close, I admire him more for his work processes (many of which he developed himself), than for his ability to render a person or thing accurately. I think all artists are searching for tools of self-expression and wherever we find them is part of our personal journey. It is unwise and fruitless to question the value or relevance of that journey BECAUSE of its deeply subjective nature.

I also love Basquiat, Bacon, and many other painters who work in decidedly non-realistic ways, and I love their work because something in their journey resonates with mine. That doesn't make me want to paint like them, I just "get" and appreciate what they're doing. Yeah, many very successful artists aren't my favorite (Tracey Emin, anyone?), and I can even roll my eyes a bit at what the critics are gushing over. But I would hesitate to say the critics are merely foolish and trend-seeking. Art, by its very nature, is terribly subjective, so SOMETHING resonated with them when they saw Tracey's "bed", for example.

Discussions of Art vs. Craft are always misguided, in my view. The best we can do is satisfy ourselves with what we're creating and tell our own story. Artists who need to provide manifestos to explain their work are clearly operating in a realm that is more intellectual than visceral. That doesn't trip my trigger, but it very well might be more relevant to some than the most accomplished Sargent portrait or Rembrandt genre scene. All I can say is, I know what I like and I like what I know, and so does everyone else. There is no universal standard for taste, nor should there be!

That said, you are killing it with your drawings and if they make you happy, keep working in the exact same manner. If you are restless, abandon the comfortable and explore. Your art is your universe, and you get to build it to your specifications. The ONE mistake I think an artist can make is to try to do work to please other people. Period.

Reed Jones
06-22-2015, 01:36 PM
I think I should add that by "killing it", I meant that you are doing superbly. I got a bit slangy there...

hunterpaul
08-09-2015, 12:16 PM
fantastic work.. fantastic words.. I wish I would have had you wonderful explanation on this thread…
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381674&page=3

emdoug
06-15-2016, 01:22 PM
These are great! I was wondering what you would consider the difference in details between realism and hyperrealism...what just makes it THAT much more real when you look at it?

G.D.
04-27-2017, 06:22 PM
go to google, and search the name tjalf sparnaay
welcome hyperrealism,

barbsgarden
09-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Very Beautiful paintings