PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Maryeve
05-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Oh..I'm about to have a stroke!.. I just finished a portrait, the mother came, she approved. THis one has been a pain in the rear from the very beginning... so to have it done....HOORAH..but right after she left I SNEEZED! a perfectly round dot of spit landed smack on her nose! I didn't realize what it was until I wiped it with my finger, at which point it took the pastel off down to the bottom of the paper...this was on la carte, so I think it even took the sanded part off the card...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Ok..so now, is it a complete goner? Or can I salvage this. I left it to dry..see if this line of reasoning works... make sure the wet dot is dry, put a little more pastel over it to fill in the little divot it really is a small hole, but it is a hole!.... then spray the spot with fixative?...then try to paint over again? Do you think that would work?

When I tried to put a little pastel over it a minute ago the minute I tried to blend it it just came off... so does the above sound like a reasonable fix?...I just wanted to run it by others before I try anything else and completely ruin it.

Im just sick.:crying:

Colorix
05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Mary, oh dear...

But it has to be fixable! It simply has to be.

Yes, the 'sand' is gone, spit does an excellent job doing that. Have tried it too. The sand is pulverized cork and some veggie matter, but their glue is too easily dissolved.

What about scraping of a bit of the grit from a corner (or another piece of LaCarte), assemble it on a folded paper, pour it gently and carefully into the hole, mask around it (punch a hole in a paper, place it over it all) and spray with fix? Not too much fixative, just enough to 'glue' the grit in place.

And remember to look the other way next time you sneeze!

Be interesting to see what other ideas people have.

mrking
05-29-2008, 04:28 PM
u can try and paint the blank spot with some pumice and gesso or that colourfix primer with grit in it. won't be 100% but might be salvageable.

Bringer
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi,

If you can get a bit of colourfix primer (or another pastel primer) on that spot, maybe you could mend it ?
Or getting some PVA glue and pumice powder ?
Or fine textured acrylic gel. You know, making a sanded primer for pastel.
Good luck.

Kind regards,

Josť

Colorix
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Just don't use anything with water in it!

PeggyB
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Before doing anything to the actual painting, I'd take a scrap of La Carte and duplicate the spot. No need to get fancy with the pastel you put on it, but "sneeze" appropriately, wipe the spot, remove the sanded surface, let dry, and then experiment with various ideas given here.

I doubt you can use the AS primer though. Any wet "medium" will pull off the existing La Carte surface. However, Charlie's idea might work:
"What about scraping of a bit of the grit from a corner (or another piece of LaCarte), assemble it on a folded paper, pour it gently and carefully into the hole, mask around it (punch a hole in a paper, place it over it all) and spray with fix? Not too much fixative, just enough to 'glue' the grit in place." You might have to use a heavy layer of final fixative to make it stick.
If that doesn't work, you may try using her idea of masking off the spot, spray with adhesive and pour on the grit. I have no idea if this will work either.

Here's information for future "accidents" with La Carte: I've done something similar with one of my paintings on La Carte - only it wasn't just one tiny spot it was several larger spots because I failed to remember the painting was laying on the patio table when I took out the garden hose to wash the patio after painting there, and I got back splash from the hose! However, I know you can't get La Carte wet so I didn't touch it. I let it dry and then gave it an all over spray of Las Caux fixative. After that dried, I was able to re-work the areas and the surface didn't come off.

Peggy

Deborah Secor
05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I suspect you may already have solved this one, but I had the same thing happen to a painting on La Carte. My customer returned with a painting her dog had drooled on and the grit was gone to the white of the paper. (To explain: thunderstorm, doggie home alone, squeezes into closet where soon-to-be-framed painting had been set. Scared doggie drool does its damage--and it was a portrait of this very dog!)

I took some of the Golden Fine Pumice Gel and with a little brush carefully dabbed a bit of it into the hole. I smoothed it out with the tip of a spoon, let it dry, and reapplied matching pastel. It turned out to be almost invisible. (My husband applied the soothing talk to my customer as I did the work...which was more traumatic than what I was doing!) The grit of the fine gel and the La Carte were very similar.

I agree with Peggy. Experiment a bit, but you might try this method.

Hoping for the best!

Deborah

mrking
05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Ponting uses AS primer and has no issues. You just have to make sure you only apply it to the blank area. Testing would be a good idea though.

The spot is never perfect, but if you can pile enough pastel on it, it should turn out fine.

Achoooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

Tressa
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
It happened to me with a dog portrait! I used a tiny brush to apply the Colourfix primer, let it dry, and applyed pastel, piece of cake!
Tres

Donna A
05-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm with Michael and Jose'! AS Colourfix in a tiny dot where the hole is. Etc. I do find it much finer than the Golden that Deborah mentioned, but if you have the latter on hand---try that.

I know this must be such agony!!! WHY do things like this tend to happen to the paintings that had always been nightmarish already!???

I did a sneeze when I first tested the La Carte. I just automatically swiped the painting surface (had not even painted in that area yet) Allllllll the ground came off where the sneeze hit. Hhhmmmphfff! I had liked the surface---but not the other damage I'd done to the surface with my normal energetic painting. I solved any further issues of this sort by not using La Carte any more. When I want a similar velvety surface, I just lightly sand down a piece of Colourfix. But that does not solve your current problem.

Use as small a 'bit' of tool to put on dabs of your repairing texture. When one of the artists who study here had a painting that was gouged rather badly by broken glass when the painting was dropped from a good height when the piece was being hung in a gallery show. Distressed---yes! She had painted on Colourfix paper---and in this case, there was a great hole pushed in by one of the spears of glass. (Other areas---Karen was able to pick out the bits of glass and no damage showed.) We had to use several layers of Cfix primer (we did most of this during class, applying a bit and letting it dry for 5 to 10 minutes, then applied more, etc.) We did need to sand the surface down in a tiny area with an emery board since we were having to fill in a definite HOLE. So---a bit different than your issue, as far as depth is concerned---and perhaps area. But the sanding a bit into surrounding areas was necessary. But I think that was more because of the depth that was needing to be filled---and we were putting in a good little amount---heavy on the little!

We used the point of a #11 blade of an Exacto knife---pretty small and was easy to control.

At the opening of the MidAmerica Pastel Society show' opening reception, you would NEVER guess there had been any damage whatsoever to Karen's painting! I will hope for that for your painting as well! (Karen told me that after this experience, she had sworn off of anything but Cfix.) But hopefully, you'll find a great way of doing the fix and not have to have a worry beyond delivering the painting to the client and having them utterly joyful with the results! Very, very, very best wishes! Do let us know how it goes! Many heartful prayers! Donna ;-}

Trilby
05-31-2008, 01:41 AM
I have had success with making a pointed funnel of paper to zero in on the spot and spraying fixative through the funnel in several light layers to avoid moistening the area, letting it dry in between coats, then daubing on pastel, one more layer of fixative and putting in the corrective pastel coat. Takes a little time and some finesse but mends the spot just fine.
TJ