PDA

View Full Version : Figure I should introduce myself & stop lurking

Miss Kate
07-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Finally had something to post - so thought I should introduce myself. I'm Katie Elrod (aka Miss Kate- not to be confused with the really great Kate's, i.e. Kate DW)
(did ya ever notice all the Kate's involved with hot glass?)

Anyway - have been making beads since Jan. '02, and still consider myself to be a newbie. I quickly graduated to a lynx from a hot head (love, love, love the new torch!) and got an AF1313 from ArrowSprings. Want to learn fusing & slumping in the near future - right now just use the kiln for annealing.

I have the most wonderful hubby - he set up my workspace for me in the basement. Will post a picture later if anyone is interested.

We have not been blessed with children so we have pets instead.

3 dogs - Trapper John (13 yr old Golden Retriever), Cassie (4 yr old collie) and Missy - her daughter 2 1/2.
We adopted both collies from a shelter in Iowa last August - they think they are in dog heaven living here. Trapper John loves his new buddies!

1 kitty - Ethel (she had a partner - Lucy, but had to be put down due to liver failure from feline leukemia). Ethel also has FELV, but is doing fine. Needless to say - she is strictly an indoor cat, but doesn't seem to mind.

My hubby & I own a party supply store in Edwardsville - lot's of fun, also lots of work. I have put in a small bead section in the store and sell some of my beads.

I have so much to learn about working with hot glass (been doing some stained glass for a few years). Would love to take a class with Smircich and some of the other experts. May have to win the lotto first.

Just wanted to say thanks for all who share their knowledge & skill. The artwork I have seen here & on the ISGB forum is amazing. I hope one day to be as good as you all are.

Had been way to hot for me to torch for the last 3 weeks, but just had a break in the weather yesterday, so off to the basement I went. Made my very first heart bead ever - (please don't laugh so hard you spit coffee on your computer screen :D) I was inspired by reading B2's project. Obviously I need lots o' practice.

Sorry for the length of this post. Introductions always seem to get lengthy for me. Thanks for such a great forum!

ValorieCox
07-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Welcome 'Miss' Kate,
So glad you introduced yourself to us! Lovely heart, thanks for sharing. We'll look forward to hearing more from you, and seeing more beads in the future!

Best, Valorie:cat:

b2beads
07-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Hi Katie. Welcome! January 02 was a very good month to start lampworking :D Great first heart! I had only ever made hearts with the hole vertically - for some reason the other direction intimidated me. But when I read Laura's Locked Heart project directions, it sounded doable, so I tried it. Her instructions were helpful.

<NOTE: Non-cat people, skip to the bottom... :) >
Congratulations on caring for FeLV+ kitties! I work in animal rescue/sheltering and FeLV+ kitties are VERY hard to find a home for. For obvious reasons, but otherwise healthy FELV+ cats can live quite long. My very first cat when on my own tested positive as an adolescent. Treated her with pills for 2 years - she eventually retested negative. Not even a carrier... Of course, could have been a false positive back then, but she was tested multiple times. So, you never know. She lived to be 16. She contracted it from the cat I grew up with, who lived to be 19 and died of FeLV+ related lymphoma - never even knew she had FeLV until she died.

Well, post more pics of your beads and welcome!

B2 :cat:

Miss Kate
07-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Here's a pic of the girls we adopted from Iowa. Looks like they've settled in just fine. Cassie is the one on her back.

I hope it's ok to post pics of the family. They just love to be fawned over.;)

Modesto
07-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Welcome to WC Miss Kate:clap:

Carol Saker
07-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Welcome Miss Kate! :cat: Yummy heart - looks like candy.
And very cute pups!

Carol

JoyF
07-12-2002, 01:51 PM
Welcome Katie....

I noticed you have a antique sewing machine in the picture... Did you get that in Iowa too?? I lived in Iowa for a few years and I have an old machine that looks just like yours...... I got it at a auction in Solon.

Your heart is great for your 1st attempt...

Joy:cat: :clap:

macbeth7
07-12-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi Miss Kate,

Welcome to WC! Nice first heart! :clap:

We love pics of family here.

:cat:
Beth

anasazistudios
07-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Welcome Miss Kate! Glad you are here!

Elizabeth

mistymade
07-12-2002, 09:37 PM
Hi Miss Kate,
Welcome to wetcanvas! I hope to one day graduate from a hot head to a Lynx! The party store sounds like fun...party, party, party! :D
Misty

Glassy79
07-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Welcome Kate. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shirley C.
07-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Hiya Katie, and welcome to WC! Good first heart!

My first heart was done unintentionally. I was attempting my first hollow and it just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and... When I FINALLY got the two sides connected I started melting it, not realizing there were a few pinholes in it. So it collapsed. Now I'm stuck with this big honkin' pile of glass on the mandrel. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, right? So I attempted my first heart. What the heck, it was a mess anyhow. My hubby laughed when he saw it - it is truly a fugly!

blah blah blah - enough about that. Glad to see you here and out of hiding! ;)

Shirley C.
07-12-2002, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, love your fur kids! (I'm a fur kid mom too.)

Miss Kate
07-12-2002, 10:48 PM
:clap:
You guys are so great! Thanks for such a wonderful Welcome.

Joy - I got the antique sewing machine at a auction also - just here in Illinois. Auctions are sooo much fun, but I have to watch myself. It's easy to get carried away.

Misty - the party store is a blast. Our customers are loads of fun - all in a good mood cause they're celebrating something. And, we get to fool around at work (see pic). I'm the one in the Neon Blue hair. The pic doesn't show it, but I'm also wearing bright green metallic long fake eyelashes. The customers get such a kick out of us.

Anyway - thought I'd post a pic or two or three (so you can see the rest of the furry critters)

But first - the Blue hair.....

Miss Kate
07-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Here's Ethel - the FELV kitty. She was about 8 months old here.

mistymade
07-12-2002, 10:51 PM
Now that looks like fun!!!
Misty:D

Miss Kate
07-12-2002, 10:54 PM
And last but not least - our 13 yr old Golden Retriever, Trapper John. Using one of his new buddies as a pillow.

Ok - after this one - it's all glass, nothing but glass, well maybe studio pics in the appropriate thread.....

Thanks again for such a warm welcome. Shirley - I haven't even begun to think about attempting a hollow bead. Maybe this weekend....:rolleyes:

rightbrainbeads
07-12-2002, 11:13 PM
hi katie and welcome!:clap:

:D ...love your blue wig (i have a friend who looks fantastic in one too- no really!!), your heart bead, and all of your beautiful animals!! they look so happy in your home!

lynne

Beth Myers
07-13-2002, 12:50 AM
Welcome Kate!!!!
There are alot of Beth's in the world of glass too. Although I am the only true Beth, the rest just play Beth's on television.

Smiles and Waves,
HRH Beth
beaubeads
:angel: