PDA

View Full Version : Loew Cornell Soft Pastels?

AppleSaucy
05-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Another Newbie here, and before I read (and read, and read) on this forum I had purchased a 48 count box of Loew Cornell pastels. I have not seen them mentioned here, and I have not opened them, so they could still be returned. Does anyone know whether or not they are lightfast?

I see suggestions on wonderful brands that I have in mind for the future, but thought these might be a place to begin. Yet if they are considered student grade or have other problems, I don't want my pastel learning experience to be influenced by poor materials.

Thanks!

Muffin_4377
05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
The first set of pastels I ever bought was Loew cornell Pastels ...little CHEAP 12 piece grey tone set. I had NO info or experience on pastels previously...I figured, being the "oooooh what's that?!!" kinda art supply shopper that I am, I figured I'd try them out. Move ahead about a year.....realizing that having a 2 yr old and watercolour painting don't really mix, I pulled out the Loew Cornells and gave them a try.
I did this....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2008/36417-PearsSP.JPG
And then right after I did this....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2008/36417-PumpkinsSPs.JPG

I feel in love instantly with the feel of pastel.....off to wetcanvas I went, researched everything I could on Pastel brands, then promptly went to the art supply store and put my order in for some artist grade pastels. That was ahhhh about 4 yrs ago....

Granted I have never tried the coloured set of Loew Cornells, But I assume you picked them up rather cheap, they are NOT considered artist grade. I'd say try them out, they might be a tad on the harder side, and some sticks may be scratchy, but just by playing with them you will get a bit of feel for pastel and whether the medium is something you wanna pursue farther. (* NOTE; paper/surface you use is gonna make a BIG difference on how the pastels will handle, I personally recommend a sanded surface, ie Colourfix, but that is just my personal preference. Those first 2 pastels I did were actually on watercolour paper.) And once you have moved on to better quality pastels (cause we all know ya will LOL), you can pass those LC's on to a young child in your life or someone else showing an interest in the arts.

Now go and get dusty already!!!! LOL
HAVE FUN!!!

Donna A
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Another Newbie here, and before I read (and read, and read) on this forum I had purchased a 48 count box of Loew Cornell pastels. I have not seen them mentioned here, and I have not opened them, so they could still be returned. Does anyone know whether or not they are lightfast?

I see suggestions on wonderful brands that I have in mind for the future, but thought these might be a place to begin. Yet if they are considered student grade or have other problems, I don't want my pastel learning experience to be influenced by poor materials.

Thanks!
Hi, AppleSaucy! The Loew Cornells are definitely a student grade and you are so right---not good to have poor materials influence your learning! Returning them would be a great idea. A lot of folks reason that they will just throw the cheapy-fading pastels away 'someday' but---then they find it soooo hard to turn loose of something they spent money on. So---why use any of your money on something that will not serve you well!!! Unless you are doing pictures on the sidewalk where you don't mind if the rain washes it away tomorrow!

Invest in a smaller but broad range of 'serious' pastels and build your collection as possible. I've seen some remarkable paintings done with a dozen or so pastels that included warms and cools of all the main colors plus the black/white, etc.

Looks like Dania did some lovely value pieces with the Gray set. Gray's are not going to fade in hue, since they have no hue. So that works fine. Very best wishes! Keep us posted on your adventures! Donna ;-}

AppleSaucy
05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Many thanks to both Dania and Donna! There are so many sales going on right now that I am going to return the Loew Cornells, add some "mad money" to the refund and get a few sticks in Great American, some Unison and a few in Faber Castell Polychromos to try.

This is an awesome forum and I know I will learn a great deal here!

Muffin_4377
05-28-2008, 07:40 PM
OOOO yeah Totally return the LC's if you can afford those others!!!!!
You'll be much happier for it!

Yeah and make sure you come on back and show us what you've done with those new little jewels of colour!!!!