PDA

View Full Version : Hello out there! and scanner questions

Lenda
07-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Hi, I guess this is a good enough spot to introduce myself, I've been hanging around for a couple of weeks. My name is Lenda and my logon name is Ohbuoy-I sell painted buoys and sea shells for a living in the Florida Keys. I recognize lot's of you from hanging around ISGB, but since the change in forum there, (or something I'm not aware of) people seem like they're migrating here. I posted a thread at ISGB about it, somehow I felt like I was being betrayed. But after spending more time here, I feel like this could also be home. I posted my intro here because I would like to put MY tinyhead in. But for someone that doesn't have a digital camera, only my scanner, any tips on how I take the picture of me, put it on my scanner, save it to my hardrive, making sure it is the right size, and uploading? Sorry to have so many questions, I guess I need to know how, so I can also scan my beads and post them. Oh, I've been making beads since April of this year, and totally loving it!! And no, my studio looks nothing like Val's. It's outside on my porch! South Florida weather, you know! Any help will be appreciated. And Thanks in advance

ValorieCox
07-12-2002, 11:49 AM
Welcome Lenda!

I used my scanner to post my 'tinyhead'. I found a photo of myself I liked (not a huge photo), 'scanned' it, and cropped out the other people in the photo. Get the image (within a perfect square) to be 60 x 60 pixels. (When you look at 'resizing' with your image software, it will generally tell you the pixel size). Make it a JPEG, save it within a file on your harddrive.

Go to the browse window here on WC asking for your tinyhead image. Only if it is the right size (60x60) will it upload. Give it a try, it'll work!

Actually the migration to Wetcanvas started a while before the ISGB changed formats, (a need for an alternative without censuring of photo uploading, and comments, and just a nice alternative in general), though it may have appeared the exodus was due to the format change, it was cooincidental.

Glad you decided to give it another try here. (I'd still love to see that porch studio!)

Valorie (with little glass chips on my table top, which haven't been swept yet...oh no!):cat:

b2beads
07-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Horrors, Valorie! Quick, snap a pic so we can see this total state of chaos :D :p

Welcome, Lenda! I think a lot of us participate in both forums now. For me, they both serve different needs. I don't think folks need to feel like they are traitors by using one forum or the other - you can do both (though, granted, that takes up a little too much time, so you may not be able to read EVERY post on both forums. When I got home from the ER last night I had 106 "new post" messages. I was only gone a few hours!)

Love the Keys! Learned to sail down there. B2

Kathy Champion
07-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Like you I'm a bit photo challenged. I also only use a scanner but I pasted a pix here and David did the tiny head conversion for me!

We all get by through the kindness of strangers and this is a very kind, friendly group...I bet someone will step up and assist you.

Kathy - in a Scarlet type moment!

:rolleyes:

David Seckendorf
07-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Hi Lenda,

Welcome to WC. If you can scan any picture in any size and email it to me, I'd be happy to turn it into a tinyhead. It only takes a couple of minutes.

David

redhotbeads
07-12-2002, 06:14 PM
Lenda, love the Keys! You are a lucky gal, living there. I bet you love it! I sure would, although I know summers are pretty much tropical. beats the heck out of northern winters, though.

I still read the ISGB forum. There's still plenty to learn there, but I feel like this forum is less censored than that one is. They just serve different needs, I think.

For my tinyhead, I took a digital picture I had, loaded it into Paintshop Pro, and cropped my head out of it. Then I resized to 60x60.
Kelly

anasazistudios
07-12-2002, 06:25 PM
Hi Lenda! Lucky you in the Florida Keys!

I scanned my photo too. I found a nice photo and scanned it into PhotoShop then I resized it to the 60 x 60 and then uploaded here.

Elizabeth

mistymade
07-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Hi Lenda, welcome to wetcanvas! I agree with everyone else, each forum serves a different purpose and they are both still great forums with a lot to offer. I really hope you will post a pic of your porch studio, that must be heavenly!

Beth, I like your new "tinyKittyhead" pic!

Misty:D

Shirley C.
07-13-2002, 02:12 AM
Hiya, Lenda! I, too, use both forums. And I like it here at WC! - hope you will too.

Tell me, how on earth do you make beads out on your porch without your flame blowing around? You must get breezes once in awhile.

sandge
07-13-2002, 06:29 AM
Welcome, Lenda! Thought you might be interested to see this (not that I'm recommending it, you understand! LOL!): this is not art (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22988)

Don't worry you're not the only one to struggle with posting pics. Be sure to check out the Computer/Technology (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36) forum for answers to technical questions and the Welcome forum - new users (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=35) for answers on how to post here. :D

<-------------a pastel artist who will go back to quietly sitting in the corner and admiring all your wonderful work. :D

Lenda
07-13-2002, 08:58 AM
Hi and a thank you for welcoming me to WC. Sorry it took me so long to respond, went to the mainland to do some shopping last night. An hour and a half to get to the mall, what a price to pay to live in paradise! I now do enjoy both forums, too. The more I get familiar with WC, THE MORE I LIKE IT!
Thanks for the imput about scanning, I'm playing around with it. David, thanks for the offer, but I like to PLAY with my computer and try to figuire out all the programs, because then I know how to use them. Thanks Sandra for the Link- It's a pretty scary site to say the least, those people have too much time on their hands. Yes I'm a lucky gal to live here, but remember, HURRICANE SEASON IS HERE!! I hate this time of year! And in answer to those that want pics of my outdoor studio, sorry, don't have a digital camera, but maybe I can borrow one. Believe me, it's just a desk with my SKUTT kiln on it, a chair, and a small round table with a lazy suzan on top that holds my jars, that holds my glass. Thanks again for the welcome, hope to learn lots more about beadmaking, and thanks for the witicism, it makes my mornings.:cat:

paintfool
07-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Hi Lenda. Welcome to WC! I live in Central Fla and even we keep our eyes to the weather channel during hurricane season. :) I do love the keys though and get down there as often as i can. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Cheryl

llis
07-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ohbuoy
Hi and a thank you for welcoming me to WC. ...... Thanks Sandra for the Link- It's a pretty scary site to say the least, those people have too much time on their hands. .....

LOL ohbuoy.... what's a girl to do when she is addicted to the site? ROFL

I too enjoy the company in the morning, at noon, and at night. Can't seem to stay away long enough to get my painting done. Sniff... I need help!

b2beads
07-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Sandra - LOL - that was good for a good laugh. Won't be scanning my face soon...well, maybe...

Llis - I LOVE the jumping m-n-m's! They are hysterical!

B2

Ann*S
07-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Hi Sandra,
Your pastels are beautiful.I have tried and it is such a wonderful art form. I especially love the roosters..especially the single one.
Thanks for the link to that crazy thread. It is hysterical!
Ann

sandge
07-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Thanks for your kind comment about my pastels, Ann*S! :D

Glad y'all enjoyed the link. :)

mistymade
07-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks Sandra for posting that link! It was too funny and it made my day happy!
Misty:D still laughing!