PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread - May 26 - June 1

Paula Ford
05-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Welcome!

The weekly pastel sketch thread is for ALL pastelists of all skill levels who use soft pastels, hard pastels, or pastel pencils.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Please see last week's sketches here...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496732

For inspiration, please visit the image library.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

vanhulle
05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Paula:
I'm here, and will definitely give it a try this week. It will get me off my duff to try something at best, and at worst, give the more experienced something to chuckle over.
I really am enjoying your two paintings. One more question: how much "blending" do you practice in the various colors in the trees, and if you blend, what tool do you use?
Thanks.
Phil

Paula Ford
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Phil! Nice to see you here!

Blending - Once in a while I give it a flick with my finger or maybe tap to soften, but most of the time I don't blend or I just let the pastels do the blending. Do you know what I mean? Do an experiment...try not to touch the paper with your fingers at all only the pastels.

I am so looking forward to seeing your sketches!

Paula

Scottyarthur
05-27-2008, 11:36 PM
:wave: Hey everyone lets get this Thread started. Here is one I just finished. Orange Tiziano, Assorted pastels about 40 min.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2008/125922-Pastels_08_012.jpg :D Come on now lets not be shy or bashful :lol:

Paula Ford
05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
WOW Scott! That sky & landscape are absolutely gorgeous!! Great sketch! I think you should sign it and frame it.

vanhulle
05-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Paula:
OK, here's my first sketch posting. Pretty rough, but the one-hour time limit was difficult because I work VERY slowly. I probably try to over-analyze. This is from a photo of a portion of a redwood forest. It's a strange photo because the trees in the foreground are so close you don't see any of their branches -- just the trunks. But it's the texture of the trunks, including the pale green mosses -- the caught my eye. This is on Wallis sanded, white, 9X12. I used odorless turp to brush in a wash. Nupastels, Rembrandts, Unisons.
Phil

Scottyarthur
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
nice Phil, how long have you been at the pastels, gettin dusty. The red woods are very tall and when up close rarely are the branches seen. I did a oil some time ago which had a tiny litte person in it which showed the true size of these awesome trees.

Scottyarthur
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Paula, but it will end up like many others in a drawer covered up.

vanhulle
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Paula:
Haven't been at it long. No lessons or training -- that's pretty obvious. Trying to learn on my own and through books, this site, you, etc. I try to find pastel paintings I like, and then imitate them.
Phil

vanhulle
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Scottyarthur:
Sorry about that, didn't realize I was responding to your comment. I'm new here.
I really am awed by the clouds in your piece. How long have you been at pastels?
Phil

Scottyarthur
05-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Sorry Phil, I forgot to welcome you here, So let me say, Welcome to the wonderful world of pastels. I've been on and off again at the art since I was young. Well I'm more of a oil painter but started to do pastels about 9 months ago thinking that they would help me with my colors in oils and they have but at the same time I have fallen in love with the dusty little buggers. I am self taught as well, no training just lots of reading and pratice. I got really serious about 4 yrs ago with the oils. If you have questions or want C&C,s, myself and many much more talented artist are very willing to help.

Phillgood
05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Okay. Here is my 60 minute sketch. It was actually 45 minutes. I was just trying to do a quick self portrait value study considering I am just now taking the plunge into pastel from a drawing background with color pencils. Only blues and yellows. That's my squinting-to-see-value face BTW. :rolleyes:

Scottyarthur
05-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice Looks good. How about complimentary colors of this say yellow and purple, or orange and blue/ Maybe try one very lite yellow and a very dark yellow and the same for the blues it would add alittle more depth. By the way thanks for joining us here.

Scottyarthur
05-29-2008, 12:36 AM
:wave: Hey I'm back at the cloud studys. I had to run a quick erran and saw this sun set no camera so i had to try and remember it so here it is :rolleyes: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2008/125922-Pastels_08_001.jpg

gakinme
05-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Wow, Scottyarthur, you have two brilliant piece of clouds. Love the first one but the second one is so colorful and cute! I want clouds like that above my head!!!

Phil, I understand exactly what you mean about the trunks being blurred close up. I've come across that scene before and didn't know how to draw it. Nice highlights on the trunk.

Phillgood, very dramatic portrayal in colors. Looking forward to see more.

I'll try a piece tomorrow. Will be back.

nvcricket
05-29-2008, 01:28 AM
SCOTTY!!!!

WOW! I now don't know which clouds I like better. I tend to enjoy the mood of the first one, and good values in the trees. I have such a struggle with trees. The color gradation in the second is stunning.!

Hi Phillgood... duh just got the meaning of your moniker...:lol:
YIPPEE, YOU'VE CROSSED THE LINE!!!
You've started in a great thread!. Great complimentary choice of colors, and a great start to getting the feel of pastels. Don't ever throw this one away. I hear lots of really great artists always wish they kept their first efforts to compare their growth with. Don't be a stranger now!!!

Carol

Colorix
05-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Phil, yay! Great start! Serene woods, and really cool self portrait of the artist in action!

Scott, wow, that sunset blew me off my chair! "Too good to be true", so it was very accurate. Funny with sunsets, even though a painting is but a pale effort of the real thing, they always look 'too colourful to be true'. Peculiar phenomenon. This was definitely not a critique, just musings. Your sketch is simply gorgeous!

Paula, long time no see! Are you busy with your 'other life', or in a -- :eek: -- slump?

Our lilacs are in full bloom right now. I have a dream of being able to paint lilacs, so I try to do a sketch every year. Because of my being overly busy, I had to hurry this year, before all that glory was all over.

Done in one hour, too large for a sketch. I just grabbed the box and the nearest piece of paper and rushed out. And tried out a few new Terry Ludwigs! That very dark deep purple is his. Size 11+x15+":

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2008/117343-Lilacsketch-iz.jpg

I'm still totally at a loss as how to go about doing a real painting of them. Impressionistic sketch, yes, but painting?

I too work very slowly usually, so the vase got a diet cure in this sketch-haste, and is lopsided. Backlit mayn't be the easiest, either... Focused on trying to get some volume into the very simplified shapes of the clusters.

Scottyarthur
05-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks Charlie, The sunsets here can be very spectacular, but fleeting, they go by so fast. They are mostly color ranges from pinks, reds, oranges & yellows. Of course the clouds need to be present. :) I love the lilacs you have done a very nice job with them, one of my fav. flowers I have three in my front yard but they are done blooming now. My iris are almost done blooming as well but the rose's will be taking there place soon. :)

Phillgood
05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks all. Too many Phils here all of a sudden. :lol: Awesome sunset Scott. So warm and inviting. I also love the lilacs Charlie (I'm a sucker for deep purples). This thread is inspiring. Wish I could paint all day, but that 'job' thing has to happen first. I long for the evening.

Have to share...I saw a half dead broken tree with some growth on the last remaining branch this morning on my way to work. The light was hitting it just right and I never noticed it before. I am going to get up early Saturday and do a sketch of it. Stay tuned. :D

vanhulle
05-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Charlie:
Your painting of the lilacs is fantastic, and I really like the backlit approacch. I think it really "blasts" the volume of the blooms and pushes them forward. Very nice.
Phil

Paula Ford
05-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Scott, You are on a roll with those gorgeous sky paintings! Beautiful.

Phil, That is a start to a great painting! I know what you mean about those trees...the branches start up really high. Please keep going on this one because I really think it's going to be gorgeous. Also, I'm glad to see you are using Wallis paper. The better the paper, the better the work is produced on it.

You mention you are a slow painter...do me a favor and go as quickly as possible. You will feel more comfortable with it the more times you do it. Don't analyze!

Philgood, That is a terrific self-portrait sketch! I love the complementary colors!

Ok you guys, I'm going to try to contribute!!! I'm just in a dry spell now-a-days and have been doing lots of other artistic things. I need to make myself sit down and just do it.:evil:

Paula Ford
05-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Charlie!! Gorgeous sketch!!! Painterly and vibrant...I LOVE it! So glad you stopped in.

I've been sewing and making jewelry (which happens right next to my pastels). I always have a painting in my mind, but haven't touch my pastels in a couple of months.

Paula

WC Lee
05-29-2008, 11:22 AM
wow lookie at all the wonderful contributions :) I should stay away more often :D

vanhulle
05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
ScottyArthur:
Had some time during a lunch break to visit your website and study your works. Very nice! Both the pastels and the oils. Great. And you're in a state that offers wonderful plein air possibilities.
Phil

Colorix
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Paula, isn't sewing your first love? I have a vague memory of you saying that once. Anhow, am glad you're creating, but would love to see a new pastel painting by you! You're an awesome colourist! Love your paintings! Miss them.

Charlie

Scottyarthur
05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok Paula you said you would contribute so come on girl let's have one :). I'm not sure if I'm on a roll or not but that is my goal for the month of june just skys.
Hey WC where you been at, and where is your painting for here, I'm waiting. he he he :). how goes the comission.

gakinme
05-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Here are a couple of pieces that I sketched just now at the pool and then did a photoshop enhancement.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/86669-sp_feet_orig.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/86669-sp_feet.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/86669-sp_shore_orig.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/86669-sp_shore.JPG

Colorix
05-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi Sandra, love your use of colour in both of them!

Scottyarthur
05-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Nice sandra, good color usage.

Paula Ford
05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Hey, great color studies Sandra!

You're right Charlie. I love sewing and making clothes and now love making jewelry also. Hopefully I'll get back to painting soon.

Paula

gakinme
05-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Thank you, Charlie, Scottyarthur, Paula.

Charlie, I forgot to mention how much I like your purple flowers. The colors are so soft where the light hit on the petals.

I did these for the WDE this week.

Arc de Triomphe

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2008/86669-sp_arc.JPG

I really like the Himmel figurine and when I saw the cheeks, I knew I wanted to do it in soft pastel. Perhaps a much bigger face on a bit sheet would be better but I like its clothes too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2008/86669-sp_himmel.JPG

Scottyarthur
05-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Hey Sandra I'm liken the use of colors, very interesting.:)

Paula Ford
06-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Wonderful colors Sandra. I love the second one...very cute!

Paula

gakinme
06-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Thank you, Scottyarthur, Paula.