PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to Glue / resist

tubbekans
05-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Invitation to glue / resist

No, not sniffing it, this is serious artist stuff now ! :)

I wanted to try using liquid frisket with OP this weekend but couldn't find where it was hiding. So I decided to try some Elmer's school glue instead. I am posting a few pics of my experiment with Elmer's glue. I don't know if this is a real useful thing or not, but I figure some of you might come up with some uses for it. If you do, please post your ideas or experiments for us to learn from!

Ok, so here's what I did.

Put down a layer of acrylic paint. Basically a set of circles of different colors. This isn't the exact circle set I started with, but it gives the idea.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2008/32632-Glue_OP0002_web.jpg
After the acrylic dried, I put a layer of Sennelier transparent OP blender over the whole thing and spread it around smoothly with my finger. The transparent OP layer acts as a release agent for the glue.

Next I took Elmer's glue and made some patterns on top the layer of transparent OP. I let the glue dry. When the glue was dry it turned clear/transparent.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2008/32632-Glue_OP0003_web.jpg
Now I added a layer of Sennelier Pthalo Blue over the whole thing. I started using a torchon / paper stump to spread the blue OP around, but some of the glue started to lift. So I used my finger instead. Here is a pic of the acrylic circles with a layer of transparent OP blender and glue patterns dried, and a layer of blue OP on top the whole thing. We are ready for the big reveal! Drum roll please!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2008/32632-Glue_OP0007_web.jpg
Once the whole surface was covered in blue, I used my finger nail to lift the edge of the glue, and pulled it off. The glue comes off pretty easy and leaves a nice clean edge and reveals the acrylic paint below.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2008/32632-Glue_OP0010_web.jpg
I used 2 kinds of glue, Elmer's school glue and Elmer's yellow carpenter glue. The school glue is very thick and doens't spread much, the yellow carpenter glue is thinner and moves around more.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2008/32632-Glue_OP0012_web.jpg

This is the final image. I was thinking it might be interesting to dip thread or twine in glue and then leave that to dry on the OP also. Then just pull the thread out of the OP layer. I haven't tried that yet.

Things to note:
I tried thinning the glue, but it doesn't work as well as thick glue. The thick glue stays where you put it, but thinner glue will move some.

A hairdryer speeds up the glue drying.

I also tried using acrylic glazing medium instead of glue, but it seemed to take even longer to try than the glue.

gakinme
05-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow, this one is neat. I want to try it too. Thanks for showing the details.

Pat Isaac
05-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Paul for the experiments. It looks as if you are getting some interesting effects. I would think this might be a good process for detail.

Pat

tubbekans
05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Sandra, glad you like the idea. If you give it a whirl please show us what you try. I didn't spend much effort trying to make fine lines with the glue, I suppose there might be a way to do that. Or maybe a regular watercolor frisket bottle would work too. Glue is pretty cheap though so it does have some advantage over frisket on cost.

Hi Pat, it does give nice clean edges to the revealed area. I tried doing an acrylic underpainting and scratching through a layer of OP but didn't get as clean a result. It seems like a thin layer of OP stays on the acrylic and dulls the color some.

I have it in mind to try this with more layers of OP and glue also. I'd like to be able to reveal an underlying layer of OP instead of acrylic. I have an idea how to do that with an isolation layer, but I'm not sure how that will work out. Something to try this weekend perhaps. Dang, I like expermimenting with things like this. :D

Artchrispy
05-29-2008, 10:27 AM
That is pretty cool. I bet you would have a good chance of using the glue as a resist over an initial layer of oil pencil too. I guess even op could also work as a resist if you applied acrylic washes over it. Thanks for the info.

AnnieA
05-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey, Paul, it's an interesting experiment. There seem to be lots of possibilities for using this technique and I like your results. Thanks.

As an aside, I was in an art store a while ago and swear I saw a bottle of frisket in the oil painting section. I was busy looking at something else so I didn't investigate. I've never heard of such a thing but who knows. Maybe it was just something misplaced from the watercolor section. Has anyone heard of anything like that?

tubbekans
06-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Annie,
I haven't heard of frisket for oil painting myself. I guess it doens't hurt to try it and see what happens as an experiment. I've used clay as a resist before with water media. That might be a way to go with oil paints also. Clay is a quick, easy thing to shape. It has to be pressed down pretty firmly on canvas to seal the grain though. When I used clay I was working on a flat surface with a wet pour. I am not sure how well it would stick when raised vertically. Clay is fun to play with though. And sand. And toys. Whee! :D

lisasb
06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I think I'll try using watercolor frisket as a mask for detail and see what happens. Thanks for some cool ideas, Paul!

Lisa.