PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble May 26 Thru June 1

K Taylor-Green
05-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Good morning all! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives!

We are supposed to get some really bad weather, today.:eek: :eek: Hail, high wind, and rain. I would be happy if it moved right along and missed us.
I planted soooo many new flowers yesterday. I don't want them storm damaged.

No cook-out plans for today, we did that last evening. One of the grandsons stayed over. He is 8, and Grandpa's buddy.

Hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day, today!

Deborah Secor
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Hope everyone has a good day off. My day isn't quite so 'off', since I'm on my way over to take care of my mom. all this driving (17 miles one way) is sure going ot make me appreciate living togetehr...from a savings standpoint!

Highlight of the day: I have some new art supplies to pay with! I'll report later if I get a chance to dig in and show you the results.

Deborah

Shirl Parker
05-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Deborah, think of it this way, and you might feel better. You're NOT getting up at 4:45 am and driving 1.5-2 hours to go 35 miles one-way through rush-hour Washington DC traffic to spend 9 hours working at a job you just hate only to spend another 1.5-2 hours driving back through rush hour traffic to get home. AND, an end is in sight for you when your mom gets established in your place. Hope that helps :lol: :lol:

Deborah Secor
05-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Actually, I can see your point, Shirl! :lol: Ooooooo <shiver> that sounds like a nightmare to me. I'd sell the house, dump the job, buy a little place out in the middle of nowhere and find a way to stretch the budget. But I've always lived that way! Choices...

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
05-26-2008, 05:47 PM
It's finally happening -- most of our furniture has been moved out by the auctioneer (what a nice man he is!) and the buyers of our house are buying almost all of the rest, except a few things we want to keep like our bedroom set, some hand made Windsor chairs and some other odds and ends. The house is so EMPTY! The basement echos, and my studio looks like a bedroom again -- it sure never looked like that while I used it :lol:

Tomorrow we sign the closing papers, see the chiropractor, write the check for the new roof (hopefully the final payment from the insurance company will be in the mailbox -- i know it was written last week) and have the appliance people out to service the washing machine for moving. The cats are taking it amazingly well....we'll see what happens when we load them in the car and then into the hotel room(s). We moved their litter box into our bathroom from downstairs, and they adapted immediately, even though it's a much smaller one -- that's so we can put a lid on it for transporting in and out hotels. Man, the things you have to think of.

Kate, I hope your cough is better. Deborah, I hope things settle down soon for you and your mom. We'll arrive ABQ the end of the week.

And, the most exciting of all -- my Grandson is arriving home after 9 mo in Iraq (his third tour there!) TOMORROW!!! Everyone is so excited! :clap: :clap:

Gotta run...more boxes are calling my name. :)

chewie
05-26-2008, 06:31 PM
altho packing and moving is not a fun thing, i sure envy those who are doing so...our house plan is not coming along at all. i admit to some fears creeping in, and what we'll do. this has been going on for 9 long months, and nothing solid has been accomplished.

now last night, we got news of a place nearby, for sale. has an older, small home, nothing great, but definately a decent home with lots of potential. the bonus is it has alot of land going with it, with sheds, barns, good fencing, corrals etc., already there. (the other places has little land, one barn, and will need alot of fencing etc.) it has no neighbors, and is in an area i'd be happy with. of course iwth more land, its more $$. in the long run, its way better of a deal, if we could do it. also is a sticky aspect is the person the seller has it listed with--a real snake i've dealt with before, so that may throw a real wrench in the spokes if we could even try for it. at the moment, i'm starting to feel paralyzed with the stress, always tired but never sleep well. for any of those that are praying types, i do ask for it.

sorry i'm such a bummer today, but it is really getting to me. so be happy you are moving, as much trouble as it is, you wouldn't want to be in my shoes right now! to add to it, the owners of this place have rented out most of the land, to some guys that have already cause us some serious trouble. so we really need to get out of here, but to where is yet unknown, and that is realllyyyy getting to me.

on a better note, had a nice weekend at a very small opening, where i got one student. i put out ads for private classes, for those types who don't want to join a group class. she is the neatest person, and that's one thing i'm looking forward to. the gal in charge of the place is such fun too, so it was a nice break from my stress.

thanks for listening.

K Taylor-Green
05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Chris, I know what you mean! Even though we own the place we are to eventually move to, it seems like we are never going to get the barn, fencing, and new kennels finished! Every time we get some money ahead, something happens to take it except where we want it to go. Very frustrating.
We don't have a deadline, though, so we don't have that added stress. You will be in my thoughts.

Dot, I'm so glad things are moving along so well for you!

Deborah, I hope you had a good day with your mom.

My cough has calmed a bit, but the Dr hasn't read my tests yet. I go back to see him next week. Every day that I don't cough is a blessing, especially since that happens so seldom! I know that can change at any time, so I will be very glad to get some kind of treatment started.

CJMonty
05-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Guys,

Chris, I don't envy you all this upheaval in your life at the moment, but there always have to a light at the end of the tunnel. I will be thinking of you.

Dot, how great it must feel to know that you are finally moving in. The part I think I would find very difficult is having to part with things. I know I really need to go through every room and cupboard and do a major De-Clutter, something I have never done in the 27 years we have been together. I have siad I will do it over the next couple of years as I know it is going to take at least this long to get it done along with everything else that pops up in daily life. Maybe I should start on my Craft/Junk room :lol::lol: then I'll be able to at least think about using my sewing machine. I tend to take one look at it and just don't know where to start then get sidetracked doing somethin else. Our wardrobes most definitely need to be decluttered too, I think the Salvos will benefit big time here.

We have had some quite good rain here but certainly not enough to even make a dint in the drought areas. We have finally finished refashioning and enllarging the Island Bed in my front garden. I've just finished adding Soil Conditioner, Sheep Poo, Blood and Bone with the addition of bulb food when I put in around 700 bulbs, mostly Freesias and Renunculi. Then to top it all off I have also put in around the outside edge of the bed 80 Allysium seedlings and in and around the central area groups of 16 pansy seedlings s, each group a different colour massed together to a total of 5 groups (80 seedlings), so hopefully when they all et going and flowering it should look pretty good. In the very centre of the bed is a 750 year old Zamia Palm an Australian Native (it has been there all those years) and around it's base is a group of Red Hot Pokers which I put in as a single corm about 19 years ago and have just counted so far about 27 heads on it. That one is always spectacular when it is flowering, pity it is such a short time.

I've certainly noticed the cooler weather this year without the hair, guess I could always get a beanie or two :lol:.

I have just started a new drug, it has taken us 5 months to finally get authorisation to use it. Here's to keeping the old fingers crossed that it does the job we are expecting it too, and here is to my Liver Functions improving and staying good. I have been off work now since April 5th and am planning going back on June 7th providing everything stays ok.

We are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary on 30th May.:clap::clap::clap::thumbsup:

Take Care, of to painting classes just now.
Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

Deborah Secor
05-26-2008, 11:41 PM
And, the most exciting of all -- my Grandson is arriving home after 9 mo in Iraq (his third tour there!) TOMORROW!!! Everyone is so excited! :clap: :clap:
Whoo hoo! That's the best, Dot! :clap: Please thank him for his service, from me, will you?

Hope the closing goes smoothly and the travel is easy. When you get here and the dust settles a bit, give me a ring.

at the moment, i'm starting to feel paralyzed with the stress, always tired but never sleep well. for any of those that are praying types, i do ask for it.
thanks for listening.
You have my prayers, Chris! Hang in there... it will all come to pass.

A girlfriend and I have a little joke we've traded back and forth for a lotta years. This is for you, Kate:
Keep Breathing! :D

I have just started a new drug, it has taken us 5 months to finally get authorisation to use it. Here's to keeping the old fingers crossed that it does the job we are expecting it too, and here is to my Liver Functions improving and staying good. I have been off work now since April 5th and am planning going back on June 7th providing everything stays ok.

We are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary on 30th May.:clap::clap::clap::thumbsup:
I'll pray for all that, too, CJ, and have a WONDERFUL anniversary! :heart:

Deborah

Mary Brigid
05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2008/90519-PICT0064.JPG

Hello All :wave:
It has been such a long time since I have been to WC due to ill health. And it is so lovely to be back and see how you are all doing.
This is Willow our new Lab pup. We got him when he was 10 weeks old and he is now 4 mths. We are all crazy about him and it is so hard to imagine life without him. He is very well behaved and loves his walks and his cuddles. Yes he has attacked some of the furniture. There is now a new design on my kitchen tabel..... the pattern of teeth marks.

Kate I do hope that your flowers survived the storm and that your test results will be good

Deborah hope you have fun with your new art supplies. I will be looking forward to seeing the results. I am amazed you get the time with all the traveling to see your Mom.

Chris happy teaching. She will be a lucky student to have you. I do hope that you get all your house troubles sorted.

Carolynn your garden sounds just gorgous. And I sincerly hope that this new drug is a success for you.

Dot how wonderful that your grandson is coming home safe and sound to you.
I have often traveled through Shannon airport here in Ireland. The American troops have a stop over there on their way to and from Iraq. Such lovely young men. My heart always go out to them and their loved ones back in the USA

K Taylor-Green
05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Mary, what a gorgeous Lab!! We are really into Labs and breed and sell puppies. We have a litter of 9 that will be 3 weeks old on Saturday.
Your Willow has such a sweet face, and I love the name!

bnoonan
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
:o No time to comment further than... how to get in trouble with your hubbie in 5 seconds.

1) Take pastel painting of rich reds and purples and put it on the carpet next to the big window to capture the best light for photography.

2) Forget to pick it up.

3) Feel hubbie breeze by with morning paper in hand - not looking where he is stepping.

4) Feel the heat of the consequences as you hold your head down in shame cleaning the carpet and swearing you'll never do it again...

spend the rest of the day researching a studio with better lighting... close to home... where you can have a computer....

Bill Foehringer
05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Deborah! You read my mind. Minimize every physical thing except art. The stress of being a caregiver doesn't allow energy for much else. I don't know what happened to me. Suddenly it's been a long time since I've painted. Never thought this would happen. I always thought that painting would just continue.
The economy has been relentless, inflation has had a big impact on us, living on the edge as we do. I think about making ends meet all the time. I don't remember the last time I noticed the sky.
BillF

CM Neidhofer
05-30-2008, 03:04 AM
I went on vacation in March, to Florida, to visit my older son, Karl and his fiance, Stephanie. At 24 and 21 years old, respectively, they have been together for almost seven years now. They have been trying to put together the wedding they want for some time now, but never quite reach the financial place they need to be in. When I was there, he told me she had some medical issues and they would probably just have to get married at the courthouse because he needs to get her on his insurance. Well, the wedding is Friday evening at the clubhouse of their apartment complex. Just a few friends and his father and Steph's mother and family. Of course I don't have the time from work, or the money, to attend now. :( We were both all excited yesterday. He bought a webcam for his laptop and was going to set it up to stream the occasion so I could watch and hear, but we couldn't get that to work. So he's going to record the ceremony with his digital camera and write it on a DVD so I can watch it whenever I want. Next best thing, I guess. And of course, lots of pics. I'm happy for them. I love my daughter-in-law dearly. She's been wonderful for my son from day one. I'm just a little bummed at the moment. :(

Christine

K Taylor-Green
05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Aw, Christy, that's too bad. I know they are sad that you have to miss it, too.
My heart goes out to you.

Deborah Secor
05-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Deborah! You read my mind. Minimize every physical thing except art. The stress of being a caregiver doesn't allow energy for much else. I don't know what happened to me. Suddenly it's been a long time since I've painted. Never thought this would happen. I always thought that painting would just continue.
The economy has been relentless, inflation has had a big impact on us, living on the edge as we do. I think about making ends meet all the time. I don't remember the last time I noticed the sky.
BillF

For you, Bill:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2008/23609-DSCN7981.JPG

There may be a few clouds, but the sky is still there waiting for you to paint it... Hang in there!

Deborah

Bill Foehringer
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks Deborah, Nice sky!!!!! I like the little thumbnail of the pastel tray too. I have to change over my plein air palette to include green, that's how long it's been. I completely missed the season change to spring. Lilacs are done here but poppies and peonies are ready to burst open.
BillF

bnoonan
05-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Carolyn - hurrah for Red Hot Pokers - they grow here (in fact a neighbor in the area has a plant) - always been one of my favorites. happy Anniversary!

Kate - Hope the cough has been abated.

Chewie - focus on the new student that seems to be bringing you great joy.

Dot - you may not even have time to read this since you are too happily planning the arrival of your son. My happiness for you and your family is great. I have to say that though I'm not touched directly by knowing any military families at this time, both my folks served in WW2 so I have a fond regard for anyone who's elected that way of giving me the freedom I appreciate. Hugs to all.

Christy - we did the courthouse wedding and though it was our choice, I still wish my family could have surrounded us. I love the idea of the web cam as a substitute. Even better - congrats on a new daughter!!!

Bill - it all takes pacing yourself doesn't it? I found when I was caregiving any thoughts of art were consumed by the need to rest instead.

Mary Brigid - glad to know you are back with us and feeling better and even more - that you brought along a friend. What a cute puppy you have!

Dearest Deborah - you know my heart goes out to you with all the caregiving. May there be a balance of Play and Giving either now or in the immediate future.

And for my carpet... well it's back to normal now and I'm almost out of the dog house. Almost....

Barb

IdahoHat
05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
This is the first time I've had time to look at the weekly scumble all week and can't believe what all is going on with everyone. Lots of praises and prayers need to go up for one of your sons coming home :clap: , moving plans going well and not so well, new medications, decisions to make, oopsies to clean up :o , feelings to mend, pups to raise and love. :heart: Life in a microcosm right here on our little worldwide forum. I do pray for you all.

My week has been busy finishing projects (art which I posted of granddaughter Josie and the French Country Garden, home, meetings, etc.) up and packing for a two week trip to Texas and Oklahoma. Grandson graduated from HS and had his last orchestra performance - he plays violin beautifully. Building plans for new church building going well. Meanwhile spring is gorgeous here in spite of flooding rivers and lakes.

We spent Memorial day with daughter in Liberty Lake with homemade chili and views of the lake, reminiscing together enjoying two of the grandsons.

Carolyn, please, please share pictures of your island garden when it's blooming. It sounds like you are putting in a great deal of work, but what fun!

Yes, as Deborah said, "Breathe," take time to look at the sky, LAUGH A LOT, count your blessings and "KEEP PAINTING." :lol: