PDA

View Full Version : Pink Adobe Shade

Deborah Secor
05-25-2008, 07:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2008/23609-DSCN8159.JPG

Done as a demo for my class on how to paint shadows. Wallis paper, 12x18", toned light gray with a complete underdrawing done in charcoal. I wish I felt the color and contrast were accurate to the painting, but they're as close as I can get them today. :rolleyes:

Done from a photo by Artistammy, taken in Taos, NM--thanks Tammy!

Your comments are welcome, as always.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2008/23609-shadows.jpg

A little bit better color. I think. :rolleyes:

Deborah

IMaybe
05-26-2008, 12:04 AM
:clap: While both of these are great, the second on stands out. I think maybe the value are better---but also some of the colors, the greens are warmer too. Is that right? Is that the change you made? It seems so, as well as more contrast. Very pretty painting.

CindyW
05-26-2008, 01:39 AM
And a very beautiful demo, I say!
Love the colors, as always, Deborah.
The tree shrub looks like it's gleefully tickling the window.
:) Cindy

rudiratlos44
05-26-2008, 02:45 AM
I love your colors, a very simple but very nice scene.
Rudi

DAK723
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
This could also be a demo on the advantages of keeping your composition simple. Nicely done!

Don

WC Lee
05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
very nice :)

Colorix
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Glorious glow in the streaked light on the wall, I revel in it so much I've actually not taken in the rest of the painting yet.

Deborah Secor
05-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I can't decide which one is the more accurate color version. It's probably somewhere in between! I used a light pink and peachy-yellow in the light of the wall, magentas and pinks and pale oranges in the shadowy part of it. Reds always 'read' oddly here at wC, for some reason.

Thanks to all of you. I'm glad you like it. It's in contrast to the last thread I posted showing the other half of this wall done in a much, much shorter amount of time.

Deborah

Trilby
05-26-2008, 01:39 PM
The streaks of light on the wall make this painting sing.
TJ

Donna T
05-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Really nice shadows, Deborah. I like both of your color versions but imagine the real thing is somewhere in between. I think the composition works a little better if you crop some off of the top, about down to the yellow flowers. There's not a whole lot going on in the upper left corner, still plenty of shadow action and it puts the window a little farther away from the center. But I'm a "cropper" and this is really fine just as it is.

Donna

Deborah Secor
05-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey Donna, glad you think it's okay just as is, too, because I favor that space at the top myself. If I crop it down it changes the flow of the movement entirely, cramping the view, IMHO. It puts the area of focus, which is the circle of light on the greenery around the shadowed window, way up high in the composition and leaves the slightly less interesting shadows on the walkway to hold up an awful lot of space.

Besides which, from a practical standpoint a 12x18" image (matted to 11x17") fits perfectly into a standard 18x24" frame with a 3.5" mat all around! (Of course, if it improves the painting, I'm not averse to cropping and won't keep a painting standard sized just for that--but in this case I think it works!) :D

TJ, I agree. I think the streaks of light are interesting and supportive--thanks. A lot of layers of color are lost in that corner, too. Myabe I'll put a larger one on my blog.

Thanks again! :)

Deborah

dvantuyl
05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Deborah, very nice painting and shadows. I am a little bothered by the perspective though. Am not sure what I am looking at. Are we looking straight at the wall? If so then the window is correct on the bottom but the top slants slightly, or are we looking at a wall going away from us? The path is going back. Just a little something. Donna

Artistammy
05-26-2008, 05:25 PM
I really like the way you improved the photo with brighter color. I sometimes don't have enough imagination to see how I would like doing that. It's also interesting to see how you cropped it 2 different ways than I did! lol
Tammy

binkie
05-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Deborah, Ansolutely gorgeous! I especially love the warm colors of the second one.

binkie

Deborah Secor
05-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks, everyone! :)

Tammy, this is a rich photo with a lot of ways to crop it! Thanks for letting me paint it.

Donna, I think in the real thing you have no problem seeing that the vine creeps up in a dark corner. This is a lousy photo, I think. Why is it that some paintings seem so hard to get a good shot of? :mad:

Deborah

Mary Brigid
05-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Gorgous work Deborah. Your shadow are just to die for. And I love the way the way you have the sun dappled on the vines.
Mary Brigid

water girl
05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
OMG! The colors are gorgeous!

IdahoHat
05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Deborah - You are right about how difficult it is to photograph a jpainting and get the colors exact. I'm about to up load one and am not quite happy with the photo.

The blues in this painting are absolutely yummy and rich. So warm and sunny.