PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Meadows (plein air to studio) wip

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I have been working on this painting this last week and am nearly finished. Would welcome any CC's before decided how much more I will work on this one.

If you want more information on this place go to my brand new blog:angel: . Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2008/120719-Mountain_Meadow.jpg

edencompton
05-24-2008, 01:20 PM
This is beautiful Donna -- as are the other paintings on your blog!

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you Eden. What fun we artists have. Donna

chatfieldstudios
05-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Absolutely beautiful Donna....I want to be there!

Shari
05-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Donna,

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! Is this pastel over watercolor?

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Thank you Cindy, I want to there to!

Shari, Thank you, this all Pastel. I did an under painting value study with pastel, and then brushed it over with turp. Then soft pastels over that.

IMaybe
05-24-2008, 02:38 PM
:clap: Beautiful, Can you walk to get there? Or drive? I would sure like to! the water lays down there so nice, and the trees are so belivable. Something to strive for in artwork. Thanks!

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 02:48 PM
IMaybe, this is about an hour from my house so it is a drive. If you look on a map of South Central Washington and find Mt. Adams this spot is just South of Adams. There are many roads, I painted this just off a road called BZ-Glenwood Highway, not much of a Highway, mile marker 16. It is a Wildlife Reserve. Donna

My husband thinks I should call this "Near the Source". Any thoughts?

DAK723
05-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Stunningly beautiful!

Don

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Thank you Don!

Kathryn Day
05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Stunning!! The trees in front with the first spring leafs, wow. A serene beautiful painting.

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Thank you Kathy. This was fun to work on. The water was very difficult. I always struggle with water. Donna

Donna T
05-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Another beautiful painting with a lavender/green combination. I love it and if you struggled with the water it sure doesn't show. I like your husband's idea for the title. Something with a spring theme would be good too because this is just to intensely springy looking!

Donna

binkie
05-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Donna, this one is absolutely gorgeous!

binkie

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi Donna T, thank you so much. You all have said so many wonderful things I am going to have to add this link to my blog. I do think I will change the title. My thought is with just part of the mountain showing people will accept the painting better with the title of Near the Source. I think so anyway. Donna V.

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Thank you Binkie.

pastelmimigt
05-24-2008, 09:28 PM
This is absolutely beautiful. I don't think I'd do anything more. I love the water.

Michele

chewie
05-24-2008, 10:22 PM
there certainly is no sign of any struggles you thought you had with that water, this piece is a real winner! excellent work! colors, values, and comp., mmmm!!!

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Thank you Michele and chewie. It has been a great day with all these nice comments. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Donna

Jancee
05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Donna. This is beautiful and the water is outstanding. I just went through your site and I'm in awe of all your paintings. You are my new guru! I grew up in Oregon and my sister lives in Washington. So much of what you paint is familiar even if i haven't actually been there. Makes me a bit homesick....but in a good way.

dvantuyl
05-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Gee thank you Jan. You have some beautiful scenes in California as well. It is such an honor to paint landscapes, I can think of places all over the world I would love to paint, since I cannot do that will settle for my little corner of the world. Donna

IMaybe
05-24-2008, 11:55 PM
:clap: I had to see this again. I love the foreground, both the compostion here and the color! Anyone would love this in their homes I am sure. I would love to be there. Great work!

dvantuyl
05-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Thank you again IMaybe. A second look? Maybe I should call it good and not work any more. My only concern now is in the original painting the water looks to me like it slants slighly down in the middle. I might have to make it level, that one thing is going to bother me if I don't fix it. Donna

bnoonan
05-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Yup - still a huge fan of your work!!! This is by no means an exception!

Barb

Colorix
05-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Very beautiful and serene! Love the water, and the surprising colour of the sky! Like Hubby's title too, it fits very well. I'd be proud to have it on my wall.

dvantuyl
05-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Charlie and Barb, thank you for looking and commenting. It is very helpful knowing that maybe I created something worthy. Now on to the next painting. Donna

PatrickHedges
05-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Sheer magnificence!!!

rudiratlos44
05-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Your landscapes are great, I love these. Your colors are very harmonic and balanced, the composition also.
Rudi

Trilby
05-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow, have you ever captured the essence of spring time in a mountain meadow. The contrast of warm and cool colors is wonderful and your water is really superb, the struggle was worth it.
TJ

dvantuyl
05-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Thank you Patrick, Rudi, and TJ. I did do a few more strokes here and there but I think I will call this one finished and start on stomething new. Donna

klord
05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Donna,

This is a wonderful piece. Beautiful color, lovely composition and great depth!

dvantuyl
05-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Kim, thank you so much. I think I am going to frame this with my new Tru-Vu Museum glass. That is going to be fun to see how it looks. Donna

rudiratlos44
05-27-2008, 02:59 AM
Hi dvantuyl, I am a fan of your wonderful paintings. I can so many things learn from you. I love your landscapes. The water, the grass, the harmonic colors ... great!
Rudi

dvantuyl
05-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Thank you Rudi. I think it helps to go out and paint on location, even though the painting on location failed in some respects, I was able to correct the problems in the studio. I think painting on location gives you a sensitivity that I miss when I paint from a photo. Sensitivity breeds an elevated creativity, again something missed from photo's. I have also found that I paint the best when I am painting what is happening around me. For example right now it is spring and my paintings reflect spring, even though I know that "green painting" do not sell as well as paintings with the warmest colors. And then later in the summer when all is dry and golden I would be unable to paint spring. Donna

rudiratlos44
05-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Hello Donna, many thanks for your stimulating words. I understand very well, what you mean. I live in a big city. It is costly to go for me into the nature, because I don't have any car. But you are right, paints plein air increased the sensitivity and that is what I need to improve my landscape paintings.
Here is a painting which I did in the early spring last year. The person should be my wife. I did it plein air.
Regards Rudi

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2008/92442-P1010319.JPG600.jpg

Mary Brigid
05-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Donna an absolutly beautiful painting . Thank you for showing.
Mary Brigid

dvantuyl
05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Thank you Rudi and Mary. Rudi, one of the many books or articles I have read talks about painting in your own backyard or park. This is a great painting you did and has that feel of springtime.

My goal is not to painting everything outside in the open air, but enough for me to grow in my work and sensitivity. You can paint anything, simplify and paint a study of clouds, or a tree, or your wife. I am able to get out in the mountains easily enough, but that is not always the case. One time I was on vacation in the city and found a park and pond to paint. I heard my very first bullfrog.

Hope you find inspiration. Donna

rudiratlos44
05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Many thanks Donna, I will paint more in the open air, thats really importantly for training of sensibility and abilities. Today for example I will work in our paint course with watercolors. We should paint still lifes with flowers and bottles. Often if the weather is good we have to draw open air in the city for example people or cityscapes or buildings or all together. But I have not tried to paint with pastels in the city (not many times in nature, but I want to do this). I hat it if other people look at my unfinishes pictures.
Thanks very much Donna,
Rudi

barrykeller
05-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Donna,

This is just beautiful. Love the water.

dvantuyl
05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Thank you Barry. You are welcome Rudi. Your enthusiasm is wonderful, and you will do very well. Donna

Paula Ford
05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Absolutely gorgeous piece!!!

ponting
05-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Donna

I love the almost teal green of the sky....how unusual!! Having carried the same colour throught into the grasses, it works so well!!

Cheers, Dianna

mrking
05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I love the large mountain in the background.

dvantuyl
05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Thank you Paula, Dianna, and Michael. Dianna, I think in the photo the sky is a little more intense that the actual painting. Thank you for looking. Donna

nvcricket
05-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Donna,

I think this is amazing! I love how you cropped the mountain. I always want to include the peak, but you made me want to stay in that foreground with the aspens. Great depth. And what a scene! Amazing beauty captured masterfully!

Carol

dvantuyl
05-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Thank you Carol. I am wondering what people around here are going to think when they see that I cropped the mountain. I have often painted this mountain and Mt. Hood and an artist is assured of a sale if you paint the mountain, but I get easily bored painting the same subject. So when this composition evolved I got very excited about how it became much more interesting with the mountain cropped, thank you for your comments. Donna

kentiessen
05-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I really like the composition, beautiful mood, and atmosphere, Donna. The glow in the center of light across the grass is is very nice, and the cropped looming mountain contrasts well with the intimacy of the water and foreground trees- nice handling of water and grass. CC's- I find the sky color distracting, and the (3) small grass outcrops on the lower left into the water are near identical in shape and size- this makes them seem artificial.
Ken

Merriel
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Donna: Glad I stopped by today to see your blog and paintings. They are beautiful. Your water is outstanding. If water is hard for you you make it look easy. I enjoyed your blog because you talk about each painting making it interesting and important. Thanks for sharing.

Merriel

dvantuyl
05-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Thank you Ken for sharing your comment. I agree with the sky color being distracting. I did go back and worked on it some and will take another photo soon. And I completely missed that problem with the grass outcrops, I will fix that as well, I keep making that same mistake.

Thank you Merriel for reading my blog. Hopefully I can keep it interesting. I am trying to update at least every other day, maybe more often. Donna