PDA

View Full Version : HELP~~~I don't have a clue

pampe
07-11-2002, 08:32 PM
So I want very much to use pastels....I ordered some Rembrandts...in the mean time I picked up an old box ofnupastels I had around and tried to do some cactus

I know I could search...but can someone tell me the first rules.....

The is what I ended up with

DFGray
07-11-2002, 08:40 PM
hi Pampe
looks fine, make another
regards
Dan

KarenU
07-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Pampe....I like what you've done. The painting has a very graphic feel to it. Wonderful colors, nice composition.

I'm very new to pastels myself and I've just been experimenting and finding what's "right" for me. With each new piece I try to use a technique that I haven't used before....sometimes it works....sometimes it winds up in the circular file! :D

I look forward to seeing more of your work!!

AriadneArts
07-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Hi Pampe. Looks like you're doing great so far. I could tell it was a prickly pear cactus before it was even fully loaded. Good job!

NuPastels are a "hard" pastel. These are great for sketching and underpainting. And for adding to and emphasizing details and lines at the finish. Your Rembrandts are considered "soft" pastels but are really more in the medium range--much harder than most "soft" pastels. I like Rembrandts for the bulk of my work, after sketching in with pastel pencils and NuPastels. Then, at the end, I tweak any lines with the pencils and Nupastels after applying a topcoat of really "soft" pastels--Sennelier or Schminke (these are just two brands of many, many good soft pastels). Often, though, if I'm doing a very detailed "hard" painting, I don't even touch the very soft pastels, instead using the Rembrandts for the main and the final layers. Although a few highlights in the softer pastels might be called for.

Hope this helps.

pampe
07-12-2002, 01:05 AM
:D thanks, Dan...think I will

Thanks, Karen...just put some library books on hold to see what the techniques are.....:confused:

Eileen, thanks for taking the time...I appreciate your comments... :angel:

Pam

mmdm
07-12-2002, 12:20 PM
The cactus looks great! Love the colors in it. When you start looking at different techniques in books, you will find that scumbling, hatching, and blending all produce very different paintings. I really cannot decide which I like best! The paper you use will also have a huge effect on the outcome, so try different ones. So far, I much prefer the sanded kind but not everyone does. I think that you will like the Rembrandts much better than the NuPastels for most things and might even want a few of some softer brand in at least the very light colors for highlighting. Your painting looks great so just keep painting and don't worry too much about the rules.

pampe
07-14-2002, 01:32 PM
mm

Thanks for the advice....I see this becoming another art shopping addiction:eek:
Pam