PDA

View Full Version : The Science Teacher, WIP

PatrickHedges
05-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi guys

Normally I'm (artistically speaking) in Africa or Asia, but for a change, I'm going caucasian here in the land down under.

Here in Australia, there's this guy who communicates science to the masses on tv and in schools. He ran a tv show called 'The Curiosity Show' and was also on a variety show called 'Hey Hey it's Saturday'. Most of the Aussies among us will know of him. He also happens to be a good friend of mine through church. His name is Deane Hutton and he's a great bloke, so I begged him to allow me to do his portrait. He's got a great looking face so I hope I do him justice. Putting myself on the line here :lol:

So here's my WIP of him in soft pastels on Terra Cotta coloured Colourfix paper, 10" x 16".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2008/60252-P1060708.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2008/60252-P1060735.JPG

NickyW
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
WOW amazing so far Patrick..

palettetalk
05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Holy smokes this is looking so realistic I think I can hear him breathing! Can't wait to see the completed portrait. Awesome work Patrick.
Cheers,
Susan

maw-t
05-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I am definately looking forward to seeing this one complete.. excellent!

PeggyB
05-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Interesting approach.
Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

Peggy

*Violet*
05-20-2008, 04:20 AM
fabulous !! ... always a treat to watch your paintings come together !!

VeronicaF
05-20-2008, 06:39 AM
WOW!!!amazing work,can't wait to see more!!

Scitzo
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
fantastic!

H

qpdoll
05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Looks like you're doing another masterpiece .... will be watching this one.

Paula Ford
05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Oh wow! I love watching a person emerge!

IdahoHat
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Patrick - are you left-handed? You must be for the way you move from right to left. This is fantastic!

binkie
05-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Just incredible! It looks so real. I'm pulling up a chair to watch this one.

binkie

PatrickHedges
05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Many thanks guys :) I hope I can keep him breathing

Harriett, yup - definitely left handed. I sometimes work all over the board and cover up with paper, but I'm trying out the old 'one side to the other' style to see if I can handle it and keep cleaner :lol:

An update. Just colour, no modelling done on the left yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2008/60252-P1060740.JPG

Adiro
05-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Absolutelly Stunning! the way you progress is amazing, everything just right, no struggles or errors, just perfect!

PatrickHedges
05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks Adiro :) (plenty of errors - I just try to fix them before I show you ;) :lol: )

CJMonty
05-20-2008, 11:45 PM
He looks great so far Patrick. Do you remember another Science guy who used to go all over the country teaching science to school kids. Professor Julius Sumner Miller, he was totally amazing, he used to take kids from he audience and involve them in his experiments and get them to answer questions about what he was doing and why? I'm not sure if he is still alive though, but he was a great man very intriguing.

Take Care and Keep Dusty
Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

PatrickHedges
05-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah. Deane is good at involving the kids too. He did one the other day with liquid nitrogen and a flower. He gets a kid to dip the flower in the liquid nitrogen and then crush it, and it breaks like ice crystals and falls to the floor. Problem was he didn't have his usual chrysanthemums and used something else, and then spent the next hour on his hands and knees cleaning the petal colour out of the carpet :lol:

CM Neidhofer
05-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Wonderful, wonderful work, Patrick. Our version of him, here in the Denver, Colorado area, is Bill Nye the Science Guy. He makes periodic visits on our local news channel. Usually has his own children with him, or one or two of the newscasters kids. Always very interesting and entertaining, no matter one's age!

Christine

Netty
05-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Wow Patrick !! This is awesome, I knew it was Deane straight away, your likeness is fantastic! I love watching this guy on the morning sunrise show, he is always interesting....

I am inspired by your portraits lately, you are doing a wonderful job, how you incorporate the lights with the darks... this really brings such a realistic look...
It has been ages since I did a pastel portrait, as I have been dabbling with watercolours, but now after your series of them I am getting itchy fingers to pick these pastels up again :D

You are a natural Patrick !!!
wonderful job!!!
Annie:)

Trilby
05-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Your approach to these wonderful portraits is fascinating. I appreciate your sharing them as a WIP, very educational. This one will have every bit as much drama and pizazz as your others.
TJ

PatrickHedges
05-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks so much guys :)

Anyway, I'm at the 'turn it around and check later' stage.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2008/60252-Deane_compressed.jpg

and a couple of details to show how simple I try to keep thing lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2008/60252-Deane_detail_01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2008/60252-Deane_detail_02.jpg

IdahoHat
05-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow! Your technique is very interesting with wonderful results. Thanks for the close ups, too. The shirt is beautifully done.

AND, Christine, we in our family have watched Bill Nye the Science Guy as well. So entertaining as well as informative.

Thanks Patrick for the great WIP.

PatrickHedges
05-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Many thanks :)

I needed to move an eye a little and also toned down the teeth and a couple of the highlights. Not sure how much it shows up here.

Also, there's plenty of blue in the shadows but it shows up a bit too stong in this digital but you get the idea. I think I'm calling this one done :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2008/60252-Deane_compressed.JPG

Adele O
05-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Very realistic! I'll have to google this guy! How many hours does a piece this size take you?

Adele

*Violet*
05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
fabulous !! ... my goodness, the detail that you can depict while *keeping it simple* as you say !! ... incredible !! ... i love how you've left the colour of the support lend itself to the finished work !! ...

i kind of wonder, though, and forgive me for mentioning it considering how fabulous the overall painting is, why you used what appears to be white (or a cool tint) for the highlights rather than a warmer tint? ... i kind of feel he has sort of a ghostliness as a result ...

Dea
05-21-2008, 10:18 PM
This is excelent Patrick, I know the face but not the name but then I always forget names.
It does look a bit white and as if the eyes need to be darker but I suspect the camera is responsible for that,
Deanna.

NickyW
05-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi Patrick, i had to check if i had commented on this one, i went to do it three times and got sidetracked each time..:p So here i am..
I think what Violet has said about the ghosting or using the cool tints for the highlights was also a thought i had, i think thats why i didnt comment, mainly because "what the heck do i know" :lol: so i thought i would see if someone else mentioned it, and they did....im a chicken..:D
Overall i think this is a masterpiece, you have rendered the material in his shirt perfectly, it looks soooooooooo real..and a gorgeous colour too.
Youve certainly shown you are a man of many talents as i have said before, i just love the way you do portraiture, just amazingly wonderful..well done.:clap: :clap:

PatrickHedges
05-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks guys :)

Violet, (and picked up by Deanna and Nicky) the cools seemed to be there in the reference, but you are absolutely right. There was something bugging me about this and I didn't know what. I checked his features over and over again to make certain it was accurate, but I think you've nailed it. There's a deadness about the light parts of the skin so I'll address that. It shouldn't add much time to it.

Adele, goodness, I don't really know. Maybe about 8-10 hours overall but on top of that, I spent an hour with him getting good references, and then I gridded things so I guess add another 90 minutes, plus driving from his house.

In those circumstances my Malawian woman took weeks because it took a lot of travelling to get there :lol:

*Violet*
05-22-2008, 05:31 AM
i think that's easy to do, patrick ... when working from photo references ... photos often over overexpose flesh tones and delicate colours such like they're never seen with the naked eye ... i'm so often disappointed with photos i've taken of flowers, especially, that i hoped would make good references only to find the lightest parts too overexposed ... they just don't look like the flowers as i remember them and i then i find it too hard to *make right* ...

i look forward to your update !!

PatrickHedges
05-22-2008, 09:41 AM
That's a good point Violet. I know about that when it comes to darks (darks appearing as black on a photo when they are anything but black) but it's interesting to hear it about highlights too).

So I warmed the highlights up, and I reckon his teeth were too heavily white (even though they aren't actually white with what I've used - well, you know what I mean) so I toned the teeth down. I also warmed up the background and the hair too.

At the moment I feel a lot happier, but you know me....... :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2008/60252-Deane_compressed.jpg

*Violet*
05-22-2008, 02:10 PM
bravo !! ... your changes have made a world of a difference !! ... :thumbsup:

PatrickHedges
05-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I guess I could fiddle with this forever so I'll leave it now. Thanks for the pointers Violet - it was driving me nuts :lol: (Ok, already nuts - nuttier :lol: ). Your observation made the difference, not me :)

*Violet*
05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
nutty for thinking that my observation made the difference !! ... :lol: ... i'm flattered you would say that, but what *you* did with my critique is what brought it to fruition !! ... to a fabulous finish !! ... your work is fantastic ...