PDA

View Full Version : New Project coming today!

b2beads
07-11-2002, 10:40 AM
OK, I'm going to post a project today that the J&L Friday Challenge sort of inspired. It will hopefully be for ANY art medium, but, of course, bead and marble biased.... Just have to pick the colors and then photograph the rods. The "idea" behind the project is to see how creative we can be using a very limited "color" palette. Any suggestions on 2 or 3 color combos? (Not including black, white, ivory or clear - those may be "freebies")?

May also do a "technique" challenge inspired by Jim Smircich's wavy bead technique.

Just thought I'd "warn" everyone. (As someone once said - in life, if you're "calling" is not to serve others, maybe it's to serve as a warning to others....;) )

B2 (whose just too pithy for 9:30 am...)

Tink
07-11-2002, 10:58 AM
How about a *really* limited palette? Yellow Ochre (460) and Transparent Yellow (408). I think those are the right numbers.

Those aren't colors I often use and, when I do, don't use much of them in a bead. Might be fun to be 'forced' to work with colors outside my typical palette.

margaretz
07-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Will things like foils, wire, and enamels be allowed too? Good idea Beth!

Elankat
07-11-2002, 12:02 PM
If you are going to open it up to all mediums, then I'd suggest making two of the colors complementary and try to get colors that go across all mediums.

Colors like cobalt blue, yellow ochre, veridian green, carmine red, raw sienna, burnt or raw umber, violet, lemon yellow...these are all colors that are found fairly universally within mediums.

If you make sure that you have two complementary colors, you'll be amazed at what people come up with. Of course, you may also want to state whether people can mix the stated colors or if they must use them only in their pure form.

You may also want to try and theme it to give people a direction. Such as "create a work inspired by the summer ocean using only cobalt blue, lemon yellow, violet, black, white, and/or clear."

wildfirelauri
07-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Hey Beth,

what fun! I'll give it some thought. But in the not so infamous words of Doug Remschneider..."Why not just pick one luster color from the GA glass palette? Then, if you use the torch and heat the right way, you will get twenty different colors." Someone slap him for me.

BillBrach
07-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Beth,

I like the two color idea but we could discuss for a year as to the two colors to use, and still not get a consensus.

Why not let the submitter choose the two colors ??

Bill

b2beads
07-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Elankat
Colors like cobalt blue, yellow ochre, veridian green, carmine red, raw sienna, burnt or raw umber, violet, lemon yellow...these are all colors that are found fairly universally within mediums.

If you make sure that you have two complementary colors, you'll be amazed at what people come up with. Of course, you may also want to state whether people can mix the stated colors or if they must use them only in their pure form.

LeAnne, you read my mind! I picked the colors with color mixing in mind, and two of the three I picked are on your list! The colors are: Cobalt Blue, Lemon Yellow & Coral.

I also like the theme idea. I think the "theme" is that the resulting work should evoke some sort of summery feel. And I may limit it to two of the three colors, but let folks pick which 2 of the 3 they want to use. I'll figure out the rest of the details and post it in the project! Great minds think alike :D

B2

Christopher Rice
07-11-2002, 03:31 PM
What about us boro workers? I feel left out...... : ( ; )
-pan

b2beads
07-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Couple more notes on the Project before I write up the whole thing and post.

1) I'll give a little latitude on the specific colors. For example, if glass artists want to use the transparent "versions" of the color, that's fine. As there is no Lemon Yellow transparent, you can pick either Trans. Yellow 008 or Electric Yellow 069 (which is a striking color). Also, if you don't use (or want to use) Moretti, you can use the closest thing you have in the glass you choose. All that will be suggested is that once you choose the rods (or colors within your medium of choice) that you submit a photo of the raw, unmixed colors as your first submission into the project "in progress" folder.

2. You will pick 2 of the 3 base colors. For glass artists, you can also use the closest transparent equivalent. (For example, coral has no trans. equivalent, but you could use pink 068 or even rubino oro 456.)

3. Clear & black are freebies.

4. You can pick white or ivory as your final freebie.

5. Metals will be allowed - gold, silver, palladium, copper. Leaf or foil.

6. Color mixing is encouraged, but certainly not required.

B2

b2beads
07-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Pan
What about us boro workers? I feel left out...... : ( ; )
-pan

No, no, Pan, I'd never leave you out! You're included too (see above). Just pick out two similar colors and go for it! I want this project to be as inclusive as possible - glass artists and all other mediums. (Hope to see some of those encaustic folks, too!!!)

B2

ValorieCox
07-11-2002, 04:36 PM
Oh boy!...This sounds great Beth, I'm already finding my color substitutions in Bullseye Glass, and have lots of ideas about what I want to try! Thanks for putting this together for us.

Best, Valorie:cat:

mistymade
07-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Thanks Beth for putting this together, it really sounds like a lot of fun. But I just have to whine a little cause I'm out of Coral - my favorite color right now! Blue and yellow will work though! Can't wait to get started!
Misty:)

Christopher Rice
07-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Alright, count me in! Either a marble or a bead? To be done on Fri., when do the pics have to be in? This sounds like fun!
-pan

Ann*S
07-11-2002, 06:20 PM
I like it!
Ann

anasazistudios
07-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Yipee another project! I am so there! :clap:

Elizabeth

Beth Myers
07-11-2002, 11:05 PM
I'll play!
beth

Glassy79
07-11-2002, 11:11 PM
yellow, pink, and blue. those are the colors? just them?

Inquring minds wants to know. :evil:

b2beads
07-11-2002, 11:22 PM
Don't know if the project has shown up yet or not, but cobalt blue, lemon yellow & coral are the base colors. But you are only supposed to pick 2 of the 3 base colors. Clear is a freebie. Then you can add black or white or ivory. Full explanation is on the project. The goal is to see how far you can stretch a limited palette.

B2

Glassy79
07-11-2002, 11:39 PM
I gota do stretches?

b2beads
07-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Only the imagination, Richard - wouldn't want you to hurt yourself! :D

Glassy79
07-12-2002, 12:03 AM
B2, well I want you to know your askin a lot. that mean I'm gona have ta sit and thin. which means taxing my brain.