PDA

View Full Version : Copper Play Project

Jennifer Geldard
07-11-2002, 10:09 AM
I've just started a new project about experimenting with copper...
With all the questions about what kind of copper one can use etc... I thought it might be fun to do some group experimenting..
I hope everyone will come out to play :)
Tag! You're it!!

Tink
07-11-2002, 10:34 AM
Sounds like great fun! I have my copper wire and foil at the ready!

b2beads
07-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Man, now I have to go to Michaels and get copper foil...darn! B2

margaretz
07-11-2002, 11:14 AM
I gotta go get copper foil now! I'm excited to play with it. Thanks Jennifer for posting the project!

laughing glass beads
07-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Nah, forget it, Beth, you live too far away to do me any good! I have it on my list of things to do on my lunch hour.

laughing glass beads
07-11-2002, 11:24 AM
When I go to art projects, it says the project is not valid when I click on it. Am I doing something wrong? I would like to join.

Jennifer Geldard
07-11-2002, 11:44 AM
I think it needs to be approved by a moderator first.

wildfirelauri
07-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Ohhhh can I play, too? Hey B2, while you're out, pick up some copper foil for me.

Modesto
07-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer Geldard
I think it needs to be approved by a moderator first.

I haven't dug deep but,
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/create_project.php

laughing glass beads
07-11-2002, 12:31 PM
None of our Dick Blick's have copper leaf. This is becoming a major search. Do you use the composition leaf? When I first called, the girl said they had a 12in. x 10 ft. sheet, and it would be $22.99. I thought, holy #$%^ I don't think that is right, it should be little sheets. I spent 20 min. on the phone with her figuring it all out. WHEW! So, B2, you could really help me out by getting me some, too. Oh, and then photograph my bead for me, and post it for me, and ....and....and.....:D

Jennifer Geldard
07-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Here's the product page for Dick Blick's foil/leaf

http://www.dickblick.com/zz270/02/p...am=0&ig_id=2746

Jennifer Geldard
07-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Argh... that didn't work.
Someone said arrow springs has it as well.

Shirley C.
07-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Oh boy! Beth's going into the copper foil business!

Beth, I'll send my order via email. ;)

Jennifer Geldard
07-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Thanks Harold, I've already created it, and when I was finished, it said to make an announcement, and as soon as a moderator has approved it, it gets posted.

wildfirelauri
07-11-2002, 12:51 PM
I feel a group purchase emerging. I nominate B2 as the coordinator. All in favor? WOW! It's unanimous. Beth you are soooo loved. Put me down for a double order.

Modesto
07-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer Geldard
Thanks Harold, I've already created it, and when I was finished, it said to make an announcement, and as soon as a moderator has approved it, it gets posted.

Thanks Jennifer, I was looking at http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/guidelines.html

"Starting Your Project
Assuming everything checks out in your form submission, your project will be live immediately (and automatically)."

then on the following link... I noticed a link on the bottom left...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/

"Administrative Options?:"

"Approve New Projects "

You cleared that up for me:clap:

quill
07-11-2002, 06:01 PM
I am waiting eagerly to see what develops with this project. I have been experimenting with copper foil using scissors and punches. I am using a 20 year old spool of copper tape I had for stained glass (burning the glue off outside wth my torch first.) Some of the effects are nice, at least in my eyes and as soon as it cools down here (94F in the shade today,) I will try some of the tips I have seen up here. Thanks!

macbeth7
07-11-2002, 06:04 PM
Hiya quill...welcome to WC! :clap:

Beth

b2beads
07-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Y'all are just a laugh a minute ;) Geez, I leave to take my poor 17 year old cat to the vet, and THIS is what I come back to!!! Hmm, looks like I better call Dicky Blicky before heading over there... I'll be sure to brag when I've picked up up some for myself :evil:

And, yes, Simon (old cat) is fine - thanks for asking...:cat:

B2 (who's selling off her newly formed copper foil business) :p

Deb Kouri
07-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Hi y'all,....been lurking for a while. Love this forum. But the copper fun brought me out. I've been playing with the fine copper mesh that you can buy in craft stores (moldable, etc.) and it is great. Can use punches on it or scissors. I've made my sister a couple "tennis racquet" beads and it works great as the mesh looks just like the strings on a tennis racquet. Depending on the color of glass you can really appreciate the redness of the copper. So I thought I would throw that out.....has anyone else tried the mesh? Thanks for a great forum!! :cat:

b2beads
07-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Ooohhhh, that is so cool. I have some of that downstairs I'll go dig out and play with. Great idea and welcome! Glad you delurked. How hot is it in great ol' hotlanta today? I lived there for 12 years before moving to Nebraska. And, strangely enough, it's not much hotter in Atlanta then NE, just hot LONGER... And a LOT colder in winter...

B2

macbeth7
07-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Welcome, Deb...glad you de-lurked! :clap:

Beth, glad to hear that Simon is doing well.

:cat:

Beth

Ann*S
07-11-2002, 07:31 PM
Hi Deb
Welcome! Where in Atlanta are you?..... and is that the mesh that I have from Pearl's called WireMesh? I'm so excited, I get to try it without going to the store...Thank you for posting!
Ann

Deb Kouri
07-11-2002, 07:42 PM
I live in Tucker (NE Atlanta) It is hot...born and raised in the UP of Michigan....it was an adjustment...but I am fully acclimated and I love having winter for 2 mos!! (versus 10)

Yes it is the "wire mesh" (got mine from Pearls, too) you'll have a blast playing with it. I tried a star punch but you lost the star because of the mesh .... but that is what gave me the idea for the tennis racquet...just cut ovals with scissors.

Thanks for the welcome!!

Cheryl Reeves
07-11-2002, 09:09 PM
What is Pearl's? I'm assuming it's a East coast store? Do they have a web site?

Ann*S
07-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Hi Cheryl,
Actually, it is a New York store I think, but they have a one in Chicago too . We have a huge one here in Atlanta. They have every art supply you could imagine..except lampwork things. But they do have gold foil etc..
http://www.pearlpaint.com/
HTH
Ann

Ann*S
07-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Cheryl,
whoops..I see it's your first post...Welcome! This is a great place.
Ann

Modesto
07-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Cheryl can't escape the...

Welcome to WC Cheryl:clap:

macbeth7
07-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to WC! :clap:

Pearl Paint in NYC is great...will have to check out their website.

:cat:
Beth

Kathy Champion
07-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Welcome Cheryl! I'm intrigued...what does a tennis bead look like? Can you post them?

Kathy
:)

mistymade
07-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Quill and Deb Kouri, Welcome to wetcanvas!!!
We would love to see some pics of your work, and Deb we gotta see the tennis racket beads!!!
Misty:)

Beth Myers
07-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Okay, so out I go today and look and purchase copper. Have been playing this evening with it........It's been like Dr. Frankenstein's Lab in my studio. If I survive all the experiments, and the kiln does not throw up what I have put in it, I will post pics. Its been a long strange trip so far.....poof
One of the Beth's, the other pink meat

b2beads
07-12-2002, 12:23 AM
I am SO not going to try and interpret that last post, Beth... Makes my brain hurt... Not to mention the visual it gave me ;)

B2

Deb Kouri
07-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Actually, it's Deb here. I made tennis racquet beads for my sister using the copper mesh. Sorry have no method at the moment to post pictures. I made them in 2 parts. The handle as a long tubular bead. Then the racquet as a flat oval and put the copper mesh ovals on each side then encased. When put together on an eye pin they turned out really cute. On one I even put a "lime green tennis ball".

Hope that explanation makes sense.

quill
07-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. I am enjoying this forum tons.

rightbrainbeads
07-13-2002, 02:25 AM
:evil: :evil: heh, heh, just got my confirmation from dick blick that my foil has been sent! and only four more days of classes left-- yahooooo!!! i am gonna be doing some *serious* experimenting!:clap:

lynne (who tried arrow springs, but they said they didn't have it :( )

p.s.- welcome quill!