PDA

View Full Version : Do your finished works have an odor?

LeadBullet
05-17-2008, 09:56 PM
So I tinkered in oil pastels a while ago.
I gave the two finished works to my grandmother, because she asked for them. Since, she has put them into a small plastic accordian folder for a few months (no more than three). I recently took them out today, just to look at a few of my 'older' things out of boredom.
I noticed they pastel works had an odor to them. ore like a scent, a very sweet scent, like you might expect an expensive perfume to hold.
They are no name brand oil pastels, very cheap, I found a large box at A.C Moore's one day. And they're on regular copy paper with no fixative.

Is it my cheap brand, or do all oil pastels smell like this? Or where I was holding them?

I'm just curious, because it seems odd.

Scarefishcrow
05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
So I tinkered in oil pastels a while ago.
I gave the two finished works to my grandmother, because she asked for them. Since, she has put them into a small plastic accordian folder for a few months (no more than three). I recently took them out today, just to look at a few of my 'older' things out of boredom.
I noticed they pastel works had an odor to them. ore like a scent, a very sweet scent, like you might expect an expensive perfume to hold.
They are no name brand oil pastels, very cheap, I found a large box at A.C Moore's one day. And they're on regular copy paper with no fixative.

Is it my cheap brand, or do all oil pastels smell like this? Or where I was holding them?

I'm just curious, because it seems odd.

Staci...First off, Welcome to the OP forum. We are always glad to see new "faces" interested in OP. Hopefully you will post some of your work for us.

As to your question, while there may a slight smell to OP's if you held them closely, I cannot remember ever encountering a distinctive and obvious odor to an OP work such as you describe. I have used many different brands of OP, both cheap and professional grade and have not notice what you described. Extremely cheap OPs sometimes have a slightly stronger "crayola-like" odor which I am guessing is due to the higher proportion of wax to oil (making them much harder than artist grades).

I would guess it was either odor picked up from another source during their storage, if you are certain it was coming from them.

Whatever, hope you get some OPs and try them again to fight off those boredom attacks. We would love to see some work from you. If you are new around here there are lots of helpful links in my signature line. Come back soon.

BILL

Scarefishcrow
05-17-2008, 10:15 PM
BTW, Staci....I am simply an aspiring 57 year old artist!:)

LeadBullet
05-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for replying. ^^
It's nice to meet such friendly faces.

I've been using Cray-pas pastels at school for a few assignments for art class, but I haven't really noted a smell.
But that's good news; at the end of the semester, I should have some work to show off.

And I feel so young in these forums but I suppose it's luck on my part- I get to learn from such masters! :D
By the way, I've seen some of your work in my lurking. Wonderful, Bill. ^^

Scarefishcrow
05-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks for replying. ^^
It's nice to meet such friendly faces.

I've been using Cray-pas pastels at school for a few assignments for art class, but I haven't really noted a smell.
But that's good news; at the end of the semester, I should have some work to show off.

And I feel so young in these forums but I suppose it's luck on my part- I get to learn from such masters! :D
By the way, I've seen some of your work in my lurking. Wonderful, Bill. ^^

Hey, if only I had discovered art when I was your age, who knows. I got interested about 7 years ago when my wife gave me an oil course for Christmas. I became an obsessive collector of media and books. Read lots and painted little. Just retired after 31 years as a Biology Prof at the University and really only started to work seriously about 3 months ago when I finally snuck out of Lurkdom and timidly posted here.

I can tell you this, you will NOT find a friendlier forum around. (Not that others aren't as friendly!). If you have any questions or want to post, then please do so. I'm not even a real experienced hand here, just a very talkative newbie, as you probably have noticed if you have been lurking for a while.

This is a great place and OP is a wonderfully versatile medium. I really look forward to seeing some of your work. And I really appreciate the nice comments on my VERY HUMBLE efforts. However, I feel like I have learned more around here in 3 months than I did putzing around by myself with books for 7 years!

I hope you have fun with this and really look forward to "seeing" you around. As you probably have seen in my posts I tend to get a little goofy ever so often, but that's the nice thing about the OP forum, we can be serious about art and still have a lot of fun and kid around in the process. Join in whenever you want!

BILL

Pat Isaac
05-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the OP forum, Staci. I have used OPs for a long time and have never encountered an odor. It may be as Bill suggests, something to do with the storage, maybe the plastic.
Would love to have you post work when you get a chance. We are all learners.

Pat