PDA

View Full Version : My first (and only) beads

melanie
07-11-2002, 12:23 AM
Hi all! I've been enjoying reading the great and informative posts and admiring all the beautiful beads. It's made me want to share some of my first beads. I made these at a 2 day class in June. I made about 40 beads; these are some of the "better" ones. I haven't made any since and the wait is driving me crazy!

My hubby is spoiling me with my own shop/room in the garage. He's still got a lot to do, but that's OK because all my "stuff" is still in the mail (Minor torch, lots of glass and tools, and Aim kiln).

In the meantime, I'll just keep visiting WC and live vicariously through all of you!

Melanie

rightbrainbeads
07-11-2002, 12:27 AM
good grief melanie! i can't believe you made those within the first two days!!! :clap: sheesh, i think mine were all jagged chunks for at least a week!

they're fantastic! :)

lynne

b2beads
07-11-2002, 12:33 AM
Hey, Melanie, those are great! Looks like you caught on quickly. I think taking a class at the outset is really a good idea. I never had even seen another person make a bead until I'd been making them for several months. I've only had the chance to take a half day class so far, but am taking a 2 day class with Diana East in August, and hopefully Corina's class in August as well - SOOO excited.

macbeth7
07-11-2002, 12:41 AM
Hiya Melanie,

Wow, really great beginner beads! :clap: Welcome to WC!

:cat:
Beth

mistymade
07-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Hi Melanie,
Thanks for sharing your photo, you really did an EXCELLENT job for first time beads! I can't wait to see your work 6 months from now!:)
Misty

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Wow ! ! ! a new possessed person with new ideas. You are going to have such fun. Those are great starting beads. Wow ! ! !

Bobby

wildfirelauri
07-11-2002, 02:16 AM
Welcome to WC Melanie. You sure are off and running with a start like that. Those beads are verrrry impressive. Hang in there til your new supplies arrive.

Beth Myers
07-11-2002, 02:18 AM
Wow! Amazing and the dots are so small, hard for me and my coffee driven hands. You have a talent there young lady!
Thanks for posting the pics.
beth myers

Modesto
07-11-2002, 02:32 AM
Thank you Melanie:clap:

Are you sure those are your first beads?

Harold is comparing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49194

Anne Londez
07-11-2002, 03:49 AM
Very nice. :clap:
Who taught you ?
Anne

ValorieCox
07-11-2002, 06:23 AM
Very nice Melanie, you're off to a fantastic start! (Matched pairs no less!)

Keep practising those dots and nice round shapes and show us your progress in another few weeks, ok? We'd love to see them.

Thanks for sharing your 'first' beads with us!

Valorie:cat:

David Seckendorf
07-11-2002, 07:38 AM
Melanie,

Excellent first beads!

I was self taught for my first year of bead making. Maybe one of these days, I'll post some pics of my first misshapen blobs of burned up glass.

David

Jennifer Geldard
07-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Great job melanie!
I wish my first beads were that good!
I can't wait to see how you progress... you're a natural.
:clap: :clap:

anasazistudios
07-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Welcome Melanie!

Great bunch of firsties!

Elizabeth

MarySarah
07-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Waaaaaaahhhhhh! (Big whine from me because I want to be a bead prodigy like Melanie)

Melanie, those are wonderful! I too can't believe those are your first beads. I am quite envious that you seem to have caught on so quickly while I seem to be sitting in the corner with my dunce cap on, hee hee.

I will look forward to seeing your next batch. How great that your DH is getting a wonderful space ready for you .... several of us here have commented on how much of a difference it makes when spouses are supportive :p

Harold, after looking at your first attempts, I feel quite a kinship with you. Our initial beadmaking "styles" are quite similar ;)

Mary

:cat: (can you tell I love these little icons?)

Shirley C.
07-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Holy cow! First beads? Girl, you rock! :clap:

Looking forward to seeing more of your fantastic baubles after your "stuff" arrives.

melanie
07-11-2002, 11:45 AM
Thank you so much everyone! I did mention however that those were the "better" beads of the bunch. I have some that I am too embarrased to post. (I've put them away for safe keeping.) I've also made some pendants from some of the beads from that weekend. None of my "matched pairs" were similar enough for earrings.

Anne, I took classes with Angi Graham here in Texas. She was great!

Thanks for all the welcomes! I hope to be able to share more beads in the near future!

Melanie

BAM
07-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Now I feel reeeaaaly intimidated. Those were your first beads? How can I ever post my newbie beads when everyone now has yours as a comparison??

They are GREAT!

Mary, I bet that your beads are wonderful also.

Betty

MarySarah
07-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Betty me dear ... you'd be wrong! They are really terrible but my family members try to be kind to me by finding their 'good points' ... such as "Great color!" and "This one is almost centered!"

Seriously, they're very sweet to be so interested in their mom's first attempts ... and I really appreciate their support.

Mary :cat:

P.S. How's it going with the digital camera? I'm anxiously waiting here by the computer for a glimpse of your beads to show up in my email. I will try to get brave enough to send you a photo, too ... To quote one of my childhood neighbors, who had a bit of the exhibitionist in him: "I'll show you mine if you show me yours!"

(I can still hear his mom yelling, "MICHAEL J. WALKER!! WHAT did you just say??")