PDA

View Full Version : First Real Art Show

Artchrispy
05-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Fellow Oper Paul (Tubbekans ) was super nice to invite me to share his exhibition space at this year's Washington DC Artomatic Exhibition. http://www.artomatic.org/ I attached a photo Paul took on opening night. I have 4 pictures on the immediate left and Paul's work is to the right in the photo. It's a well attended event lasting several weeks with hundreds or participants and live music. ;) Thanks again for everything Paul! :)

tubbekans
05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Sure thing Chrispy critter, you are welcome! They are only expecting something like 50,000 visitors this year, but I guess that's ok. I've seen a little talk of expanding Artomatic to other cities at some point. It runs through 15-June-08 this year. It really is a fun event.

Pat Isaac
05-16-2008, 07:25 AM
What a wonderful event and how nice you are able to participate. Good luck to you both.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Paul...I always knew you were a softie at heat (sorry Paul, that was really supposed to be "at heart" not "at heat";; two entirely different scenarios!!!!). Ya big lug! What a nice gesture. What a nice event. From what I could see what nice pictures.

Chris..Glad you had the opportunity to exhibit! Wow. I can only wish. Perhaps I'll find a "gairy fodgather" like Paul to take me under his wing! Ya little lug!

Seriously,

Congrats to both of you!

BILL

AnnieA
05-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey, congrats to both you, Chris, and to Paul. It looks like a great exhibit and a terrific exhibition space. And that's a tremendous number of guests, Paul! And how kind of you to share your space.

I hope the exhibit does expand to other cities. With a name like "Art-O-Matic" (I love that name!) it's a sure winner! :)

AngelaF
05-17-2008, 05:33 PM
WOW, congratulations Chris and Paul! Angela

tubbekans
05-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks all, yep, it's a neat thing. Artomatic is a non-profit artist run and operated event in the DC area and all the staffing is by volunteers. They get lots of great support from other organizations though. Miller and Long donated the contructuction work for this years event, building plywood partitions to hang art on. Miller and Long did other things too, I think they did the electrical work as well. Red Bull donated drinks and sales materials for the bars, and also contributed to last year's Artomatic in Crystal City, Va. Every artist does 15 hours of volunteer duty during the event also. This is mostly hard stuff like 5 hour shifts telling other artists where they should put their art or where to wash brushes out, or selling beer at the bars. I did that for the first time last year and it was a blast. I never sold beer before! Those art lovers can really put them away on opening night. Anyway, they have an Artomatic lite version going in Toledo, Ohio this year. They work with local business orginzations like the NOMA, North of Massachusetts Avenue org in DC this year. NOMA helped find the vacant building for Artomatic to use for the show this year. Last year the show was in a Charles E. Smith building in Crystal City, Va, that was temporarily vacant between tenants.

So far this year the events at Artomatic I've attended are Introduction to Watercolors by Anna Glodek, How to be a Brazen Burlesque Dancer by Bambi Galore, Figure sketching on opening night with models from the Figure Models Guild, Expressive Drawing by Galiah Latwick, music by American Sinner, and Rob Martino, all free. I missed other events but there are lots more coming up to attend so no biggie. They had fire dancing on opening night also but I missed that since it was outside for some reason. 700 visual artists this year and 300 performing artists, so a pretty big event. No jurying so anyone can get in. It's a great oppurtunity for new artists to get their stuff out in public view though.

Scarefishcrow
05-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Paul, thanks for the description of the event. This is just a fantastic idea and what a great venue to let a new artist (like me) display some things in public and get a feel for exhibiting work. (I especially like the fact that there are lots of beer drinking people that probably are pretty mellow after a few rounds served up by you!)

Seriously, what a fantastic idea. Thanks for the info, Big Guy!

BILL

tubbekans
05-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Sure thing Bill, it is a great idea. The organizers are artists in the DC area and they have been putting on Artomatic since 1999 so they have some good experience with how to do things. George Koch is one of the prime movers of Artomatic. Of course they are very busy right now while the show is runnning. I talked to George briefly yesterday and they are willing to help artists in other cities get started with their own Artomatics. Basically providing information and ideas for organizing. Artomaic doesn't have a paid staff, it is all volunteer run.

Next weekend is a free oil pastel workshop by Luba Sterlikova that I hope to attend. I checked her website and she has OP's on her page 11 and 12. Other pages seem to be mostly oil paints.

Luba Sterlikova
[email protected]
www.LubaSterlikovaArt.com

Pat Isaac
05-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Luba is also a member of the oil pastel society and you can see some of her work there. Lucky you to get a chance at a free workshop.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the additional info, Paul. :wave:

Artchrispy
05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey Paul, It sounds like your having a blast! Those demos and classes sound very interesting. Wonder why they moved the fire dancing outside? Will see you real soon. Thanks again!

tubbekans
05-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Pat, I checked Luba's OPS info out. Yep, free workshops don't bother me a bit. :-) My last one was a mobile making workshop with Paul Sikora. He does some really neat ones.

Hi Chris, see you when you get in town, sounds good. Plenty to see right at the Artomatic site. It opens at noon on Friday's and closes at 2 AM. Those fire dancers are fun to watch, but outside is probably better. A little too much blast over the weekend I guess. I stayed until closing at 2 am. Saturday night.

Hi ya Bill! :wave:

Thanks Angela!

Annie, it sure seems like something that could grow to me. I think it would be a fun event for other artists to do in their cities also.