PDA

View Full Version : Tossing Beads!! The horror!

Melinda Melanson
07-10-2002, 07:09 PM
It has recently come to my attention, that some beadmaker's actually toss their rejects away! Horrifying thought isn't it! (okay, maybe I'm dramatizing a bit)
Anyway, I was thinking of perhaps collecting all these rejects and donating them to a worthy cause. Maybe the Girl Scouts or something like that. Of course the beads would have to be of sound mind and body. (structurally sound)
I just can't stand the thought of misfit beads going in the trash.

Anybody willing to participate???:)

Melinda Melanson

bluhealer
07-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Hehe, I used to throw mine out the window.....just wonder what the folks that bought the AK house thought....:evil:
Carolyn

Melinda Melanson
07-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Cool, I wanta go dig up the yard in that house!!!
We had a house that we kept finding marbles in. Figured we had a little boy ghost who kept loosing his marbles. And we would find them on counter tops, floor etc... Totally weird!!

margaretz
07-10-2002, 07:27 PM
that's kinda creepy, melinda. but kinda cool too. At least it's a good ghost. i keep just about anything that resembles a bead and won't cut me. I'll do something with them someday.:)

BAM
07-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Well, ya wanna hear what I'm gonna do with my wonky beads?

Last year I planted a beautiful Japanese Maple in my front yard. Unfortunately, it died over winter but, I just can't bring myself to get rid of it cause it really is a beautiful tree, even without leaves.

Any way, what I plan to do is hang my beads from the tree with a sign planted in front of it which will read something like this:

ORPHAN BEAD TREE
Please feel free to adopt one of my lonely beads.

I'll then add something silly about loving and caring for it and tell them to encourage others to adopt also.

I just need to think very carefully about the wording as not to offend any families with adopted children. We have two such families in our neighborhood and I want to be sensitive to their feelings. Any thoughts?

Betty :cat:

Nonie
07-10-2002, 09:35 PM
That is such a cool idea Bam. Touching, really.

Melinda Melanson
07-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Bam,
I've a feeling your orphan bead tree won't have beads on it for very long. Probably be the talk of the neighborhood. And I'm sure the wonkies will get good homes.

Shirley C.
07-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Betty! You just solved one of my dilemmas. I have a dead tree in a big bucket in the front of my house. It was so pretty, but alas, I neglected it. I have tons of orphan and graveyard beads. Really, the only ones I throw out are the ones with jagged edges or cracks or bead release all over them. Now I know what to do with them - thanks for the idea!

Lara
07-10-2002, 11:29 PM
I put my icky beads in a clear glass rolling pin. When I get it full I'm going to mount it onto the wall in the kitchen. Won't take too long with my beads.

Lara

Beth Myers
07-11-2002, 02:28 AM
For my beads that march to the beat of a different drummer( not the best) I hang them on a wire across my back door and all the neighbors and friends think their great and pick out the ones they want. I get to see them happy, they get the beads and are happy and my back door looks alot better than it did, bad beads and all.
Also, my 16 year old daughter and the neighborhood teens love my cast offs, they come by and watch me work, and they weave these odd beads of mine into these complicate patterns with hemp. I am always very impressed. They make even my bad beads look fantastic.

redhotbeads
07-11-2002, 10:08 AM
I keep my duds in a small pitcher I bought at Crate & Barrel - it's really small, maybe a pint. I put it on the windowsill of my kitchen. That's where ALL the duds go. They look nice with the sun shining on them, even though they aren't really jewelry-worthy. Another idea is to have a "fishbowl" if you do a show and tell people they can put as many as they want in a 1x2 ziploc for x-dollars. Remember, one man's junk is another man's treasure, and you might as well make a couple bucks! :)

generationsglass
07-11-2002, 11:18 AM
Don't ya'll watch Trading Spaces?

They decorated a fireplace with beads in one episode. Mortared them onto it then then polished the surface.

redhotbeads
07-11-2002, 03:13 PM
OHHH! I saw that episode! You are right. As I recall, it came out pretty cool looking. I guess you'd need a whole lotta dud beads to do it, though!