PDA

View Full Version : reading

Olga
07-10-2002, 01:43 PM
This is an attempt at a portrait of my daughter reading. She's not too eager to sit in one place for a long time, so it had to be done relatively quickly;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2002/Hannah_reading2_copy.jpg

I appreciate all comments and reactions.

Olga

mf.sutton
07-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Olga, my word this is just marvelous, you have used excellent skin colours, I really do like this - mike

mmdm
07-10-2002, 03:20 PM
I love this! You have really captured a look of quiet concentration. Great model you have there, BTW.

JustjoGA
07-10-2002, 04:25 PM
I'm an avid reader, too, so I can relate to this painting... so deep into the story the world is tuned out... Very nice...

Dima
07-10-2002, 07:20 PM
Hello Olga, welcome to wetcanvas.
This is a very nice and good portrait.

Dick

Inkling
07-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Very nice Olga! I like the colors you used for the skin and the expression is great. :)

Olga
07-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Thank you for all the nice comments. I enjoyed painting it and the model liked the results too. "Sort of does look like me," she agreed. :)

Olga

KarenU
07-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Beautiful portrait Olga...I too especially like the skin tones you've used.

Luvy
07-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Wow Those lips are perfect What a great job with such an angle Love this. I need to try working on tilting of heads. I can't get it Grrrr And to think this was quick? Oh my goodness

Olga
07-11-2002, 05:10 PM
Thank you KarenU and Luvy.
Luvy: For me "quick" often turns out looking better than something I work on for a long time--I don't have much experience, and I feel unsure about what I am doing, so I tend to overwork portaits (especially when I try to work from a reference photo) until they look "dead." This one I had no time to kill ;)

Olga

guilliame
07-12-2002, 04:52 PM
Wonderful portrait Olga:clap: ditto all the other comments,is that the actual size also welcome to the wc site you will enjoy it here.

Anna Marie
07-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Lovely portrait and a beautiful daughter.

CarlyHardy
07-13-2002, 09:40 PM
I don't stop in here often enough! But my interest in pastels has been whetted since I recently painted plein air with a friend...and she painted two pastels while I worked on one oil!!

Your daughter is lovely and I know how difficult it is to get one still long enough for a photo...much less a painting session! I have a twenty year old who can't sit or stand still!

Only little comment on your painting is to observe the area on the left side of your painting at the forehead line where the hand sits...because of the hairline being a sharp line, the forehead appears to have a bump on it. (ok...I'm a nit picker!)

Thanks for sharing your work and your lovely daughter!
carly

Olga
07-14-2002, 07:58 AM
Thank you Guillaume, Anne Marie and Carly for the nice comments(both about the portrait and about my daughter:))
Guillaume: the actual size is roughly 40x40cm. I am already half-addicted to the Wet Canvas and trying to learn as much as I can. There is a lot to admire and to learn from, too!
Carly: I see what you mean about the forehead. I'll take another look to see if/how it can be fixed. I've been trying out both pastels and watercolors--but the disjunction between what I see in my mind and what I find on paper is even greater in watercolors than in pastels. So--I really admire your watercolor work!!!

Olga