PDA

View Full Version : Gouache On Pastel Primer

maggie latham
05-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone,

Just thought I would post a link to a thread in the gouache forum on some experiments I have been working on in gouache and watercolour. Not exactly pastel related, except that I have been using gouache quite thickly on paper primed with colourfix pastel primer. I know that quite a few of you cross platform and work in other mediums as well as pastel, and for those of you who are familiar with my pastel paintings, I thought you might be interested in how my gouache experiments look a lot like my pastel work.

As I have moved recently and my pastels are packed, I have been painting a great deal in both watercolour and gouache. Ö. although I canít wait to see my pastels again soon.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=492870

Maggie

Donna A
05-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi, Maggie! Thanks for sharing this! I have not used gouache in years, but I know how much I really enjoyed painting in acrylic on the Colourfix---as well as oil and watercolor and charcoal drawings----and---hey---even pastels, :lol: both the sticks and PanP's. :) I'm really looking forward to your experimients. They are always so interesting and exciting!

I'd been wondering how your settling-in after your move was going. I do think moving is just horrific----uprooting EVERYTHING and then finding new places for it all in a new space! Hope it all gets nicely settled into a lovely flow soon. Looking forward to your new adventures in Pastel, along with these other explorations! Good to hear from you! Donna ;-}

PeggyB
05-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the link Maggie. Those little gouache paintings are just so much fun to look at! I bet it feels good being able to paint again no matter what the medium.

Peggy

Tressa
05-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Maggie! Really cool paintings and on colorfix primer,neat... I love the texture showing thru...
Tres

Deborah Secor
05-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Maggie, I love the little paintings and I've posted a bunch of questions over in the other thread... :)

Deborah

maggie latham
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Donna, Yes, I really enjoy experimenting with different surfaces.... everything always ends up looking rather like my pastel paintings!!!!:lol: ... So maybe I should stick to pastels! England is wonderful, fantastic to be back. I have been painting small watercolours and gouache landscapes in a makeshift space. It is really good to realize that I donít need all of that art furniture and studio stuff around me to paint. Itís good to be comfortable, but I have finally realized itís not necessary to hoard art supplies and art related stuff!!:lol:

Peggy, thanks for looking. I just posted some more paintings I am working onÖnot finished yet.... to show how I approach gouache on a sanded surface. Nice to say hello to you again.

Tres, that is exactly what I love about using Colourfix primer also. You can create surface patterns and texture with the applicator or brush before you even start to paint.

Deborah, I have just posted a reply to your questions over in the gouache thread, with some new paintings I am working on. Hope you give gouache a try, I think you will like working with the medium. In a few months my shipment will arrive and I will have my pastels back (I hope that they arenít all turned to dust in transit).:lol: :lol: One curious thingÖ..as I approach colour mixing and blending in gouache in the same way as with my pastels, my colour choices are much bolder and intense than they ever used to be in transparent watercolour. One medium definitely influences the other.

Maggie