PDA

View Full Version : Do oil pastels dry out?

Troo
05-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Hi there

I'm a newbie to using OP so this might seem a bit of a daft question, but do OP dry out? I was given some student grade OP (Sakura cray-pas) and they are a bit hard -is this because they are old or is it more of a quality issue??:o

keenart
05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Mine skinover or crust, as they dryout as they get older.

A friend told me about an idea he used. He got one of those clear plastic containers, that canít be damaged by solvents. Put a little metal oil piant medium cup in it with a small sponge inside and wet the sponge with a little odorless turp alongside his pastels and they stay fresh much longer now.

Pat Isaac
05-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Yes, the craypas are harder because they are a student grade and contain more wax.
Oil pastels never dry, they just become hard over time. If they from a skin as you suggest then they are paint sticks, not oil pastels. These sticks are real oil paint in stick form and form when not in use to protect the paint.
I hope this answers your questions.

Pat

CarlyHardy
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I use the Cray-pas for some of my underpainting work. First because they are harder and don't fill up the tooth of the paper as much and two because they are less expensive. I find they get harder on the outside because of touching them so much and dirt grinds into the surface of the stick. You can "clean" them by using a fine sandpaper (I use the small sandpaper blocks) and lightly rub them. This takes off the dirty surface and reveals the clean oil pastel surface.

If you work on a sanded surface, keep a part of it for "cleaning" your stick before you lay down fresh color on your painting.

Oil pastels do harden with time, but the thicker the paint, the more time it will take.

carly