PDA

View Full Version : An interview in my studio on video

AliciaS
05-06-2008, 01:37 PM
hello everyone...I wanted to share with you the video of my studio and an interview I did. It is a serious piece ( I'm usually alot more funny...at least i think I am ) but the questions I was asked were thought provoking..and so..this tells how I feel.

www.nctimes.com (http://www.nctimes.com)

go to towards the bottom right under videos in the "related" section.

would love to hear what you think about my "art Philosophy"

Thanks for looking...

water girl
05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Alicia, Congratulations on the coverage.
I just want everyone to know that Alicia is rarely this serious. If you know her or take her workshops you know that you end up with your sides hurting from laughing. Yes, she's a serious artist.....with the best sense of humor!!!!! :lol: :lol:

maw-t
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I love your art philiosphy & feel it is sincere & from your heart! & what a beautiful studio... You did a great job in the video...( I would be stumbling all over myself) I loved seeing your work & you work :):clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now where is the teaching video???? :cat: :cat:

AliciaS
05-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Karen- I'm glad someone else thinks I'm funny..besides myself.....thanks for commenting....my husband loves this video...because its a side of me that he seldom sees...i think.

Maw-T- between you and me.......I am working on getting a DVD..I'll keep you updated..

IdahoHat
05-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Alicia - I had looked at your video when you had linked to the announcement email of another class. What great exposure for your art. :thumbsup: Just loved it and was amazed at your beautiful studio and gardens. Now that the weather is nice here in Idaho, I am back and forth between my gardens and my painting.

I also find it interesting that you have such focus on portraits, although you venture into landscapes here a bit. Many of us bounce all over the place and want to paint everything we see. What great differences there are in God's palette of personalities. :lol:

RooGal
05-06-2008, 06:50 PM
A lovely video. Have to agree with Maw's comment. Thanks for sharing that with us Alicia!

Gail V
05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Alicia - very awesome to see you in your video - great insight - beautiful DVD showing us a beautiful person!

nana b
05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Alicia, I truely enjoyed your video and your interview...and your studio and your garden. All of it was awesome, thanks!

nana

Tracy Lang
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Very cool, Alicia. I think you and your philosophy came across beautifully :)

Hope you don't mind that I post a direct link as I was having trouble finding it.

http://videos.nctimes.com/p/video?id=1856166

fiannah
05-06-2008, 11:27 PM
thanks for sharing, great video! you have a beautiful studio!

nvcricket
05-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi Alicia,

It is so nice to really get to "know you as a person" through this video. It was a wonderful interview, your studio is lovely.
I saw this a few days ago. I registered on your website to get updates and went immediately to check out this short documentary when I received that email. Thanks for sharing it here too! Your passion and love for your "sport" really shined in this interview! Congratulations.
When you get your star on Hollywood Blvd can I be the one to polish it weekly?:lol: One of these days when I can get my covered wagon to cross the Sierras I'll take a workshop!:)

Carol

Colorix
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Alicia,

Yeah, you have a wonderful garden, can you tell our readers why you're not interested in painting it? ;-D

Great video and interview, I love how they seemed very taken by your paintings, I think they were in the picture more than your face!

So nice to see you 'live', moving, talking, painting. Showing little 'flicky' strokes done with efforless precision. And working from an image on the computer screen.

Good loking frames. What a difference to see some of those we've seen here 'properly' clad in mats and frames.

Aw, thank you for sharing, it was so nice to 'meet' you in 'person'.

AliciaS
05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Harriett-:heart: Thanks for your comments...although i do paint other subjects, my garden usually is only "referred" to in the backgrounds of my paintings..I enjoy sitting in my gardens and working in them...but its a different pleasure in my life...painting is a pleasure that comes from somewhere else inside me..
I enjoy keeping the two seperate..it is nice to love many different endeavors isn't it?
Pam-:heart: thanks for looking..and taking the time to comment!
Gail-:heart: thanks for your comments as well..kind of a preview for you:wink2:
Nana:heart: I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Tracy-:heart: thanks for doing the link..i'm not too swift with computer stuff..
I'm actually glad he asked the kind of questions he did..because that is ,I believe, the key to being a successful artist!
Joni-:heart: thanks for taking the time to look and comment!
Carol-:heart: thanks for looking- you see the other side of me..hmmmm..next video will be a comedy....also i will need a stand in for the close-ups!!
Charlie-:heart: I hope i explained myself clear enough about why I don't paint my garden..at least not yet anyways...but this would be a great place for you to do some of your colorful work!!

I tell ya...this was a hard thing to do.....for anyone thinking about doing something like this..be prepared to see yourself different than you expect or would like to see....i went through alot of feelings and thoughts ...but I am glad i did it ..to be frank with everyone here..it is good for business..when you are a professional painter..doing things like this is necessary...and telling people about it is part of the "bizness"...no one is going to know about you or your art.....unles you tell them....I tell ya no one was knocking at my door..
The business part and being the artist are two different worlds...I am learning how to deal with this aspect...so thanks again everyone...for your support.:heart:

jkook
05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Alicia, great interview. It was fun seeing you and hearing your philosophy on painting. Seeing some of your work framed and matted was awesome !
I hope you do an instructional video it would be the only way I could learn from you. Traveling to Calif. isn't going to happen so..............lets see tha CD. :)
Jim

Wrichards
05-07-2008, 08:30 PM
wonderful interview, you did fantastic! , and I agree 1000000% about painting from the heart :)

Interviews are wierd arent they ;) I did one a several years back and the hardest thing is to see yourself as others see you (and thier editing job haha). Now I just do them and dont watch the end result :)

binkie
05-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Alicia,

What a great video! You did a wonderful job expressing your philosophy of art. Although I've taken your workshop, I will be first in line for your instructional DVD.

Anyone who has the opportunity to learn from Alicia should jump at the chance. She is an incredible teacher and very funny too.:evil: My art has progressed so much after learning from her.

Kudos Alicia!!!

binkie

AliciaS
05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Jkook,wrichards and binkie,...thanks for checking out the video----I'll keep you all updated on the instructional video--i just need to find the right actress to play my part----hmmmm how about Lindsay Lohan???.......

qpdoll
05-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Awwww the video was wonderful!! .... You did just great, very personable and warm. .... I can't wait to purchase your dvd!! .... Thanks for sharing with us Alicia. :)

nvcricket
05-09-2008, 11:54 PM
I think some people are having a hard time finding it as it is no longer a current event. I went back in and this is how i got there... let me walk you through. A bit more trickier now as it is archived. In the upper right there is a yahoo search box type in her name...Alicia Sotherland, then in the box with archive in it drop down to videos then search and she will pop up. Click on the photo that pops up and it will pop up for you to watch.

Carol