PDA

View Full Version : 2nd portrait attempt

darlingart
07-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Thanks to everyones suggestions, I have redone the portrait of my youngest daughter, this time I enlarged it so its about 8x10 - much easier to work on:) What can I say...its a learning experience not a masterpiece:) Before I go any further, I would love any comments/suggestions about what I have done so far.

I still have a lot to do, more blending on the skin, the shadows and the shirt. I added more colours, greens, blues, purples - I think I have to do something about the dark shadow along the jawline - originally did it indigo then decided purple would be better but I think it may be to dark as it is.

I'm still not happy with the way I have done the hair, I tried leaving the highlights white but it looked like there was a hole in the painting, so ended up doing them cream as suggested (didn't have a cream in my Derwents so went and got a Faber castell (albrecht durer (sp?) cream.

I'm pretty sure I got the positioning of the features right - LOL - I cheated and enlarged the photo in Paint shop pro and then hubby did something that ended up giving me a pointilism type image of the major contour lines which I printed out - still had to draw everything, just had a guide for positioning of the features.

A big question I have is the highlights on the eyes - they were the same shape and placement but kind of migrated:( I'm not sure whether I should colour them and then add white acrylic paint over in the right spots? Oh there is shadows at the top and bottom of the iris, but they havn't shown up very well.

Here is the
Reference photo (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48681) (hope that works).

Thanks!

ArtWench
07-10-2002, 10:06 AM
This is progressing nicely and I like how you did the hair. After examining the reference photo, I noticed that you need to make her eyes larger. I wouldn't worry about the highlights just yet until you get the general shapes down.

You need to darken her eye socket substantially (remember that the eye socket recedes and the brow comes forward) and work on defining the nose. I know this can be really difficult because children's noses lack the deep shadows that adults have; but, look in terms of shadows against highlights.

Also, the lines caused by her smile are wider and softer at the edges.

I think that her neck looks fine as it is.

Hope this helps a bit! :)

gemmag
07-10-2002, 10:23 AM
This is progressing nicely. Along with what Angela had to say you may want to make the pupil of the eyes larger. I remember Ann Kullberg saying that one mistake that artists often make is to make the pupil to small, even if the reference photo has the pupils small when you draw it you should make them larger. The hair is coming along nicely also.

Can't wait to see the finished piece!
:D :D

Gemma

TeAnne
07-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Your second approach is much better :) Inside the mouth also needs to be darker too. At the moment her tongue is too fat :) Follow what all the above say and you will get there. Just don't stress okay? Take your time and enjoy what you're doing. :D

darlingart
07-15-2002, 03:17 AM
Thanks cathexis, gemma and TeAnne for those suggestions. I wondering if it would be better in future to adjust the light source if the ref photo dosn't create any shadows for the nose, especially in children? Gemma thanks for the tip on the pupils, I was really unsure about making them bigger, as they are tiny in the photo - I did make them bigger than the photo, but will make them bigger again. TeAnne, surprisingly enough I am enjoying this:) I have always though portraits were a bit boring - aside from the fact that I didn't think I could draw people:) - but this is a real challenge that I am enjoying:) ...well if I could only find time at the moment to do any drawing!

Elankat
07-15-2002, 12:36 PM
Glad you are having an easier time with the larger size. I really think working too small in portraiture can cause troubles.

arlene
07-15-2002, 01:42 PM
michelle u might want to try my tip and scan the original photo into the computer at about 300dpi and then once it's in reduce it to 150 or even 100, so u can see the details larger.

this way you'll not be trying all at once to do the whole thing but instead will be looking at shapes instead.

darlingart
07-16-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by arlene
michelle u might want to try my tip and scan the original photo into the computer at about 300dpi and then once it's in reduce it to 150 or even 100, so u can see the details larger.

this way you'll not be trying all at once to do the whole thing but instead will be looking at shapes instead.

Thanks Arlene - I saw you mention this on another post and have been trying to do it in paintshop pro and couldn't work out how, but in photoshop worked it out - the only thing is I can't see hardly any difference in the image after I have done this compared to just scanning at 300 or 600dpi. This is the steps I am using, am I doing it right (lol not sure if its my eyes or just the photos I am using)?

Photoshop 'image size', 'resolution' change to 100dpi - if its a jpeg a box comes up with 'image options' set at 10 and maximum and 'format options' set at baseline then save.

Of course, the problem might not have anything to do with the graphics program or photo - it might just be my inability to 'see shapes'! I only learnt about 'seeing shapes' a few months back and while my work has improved dramatically since then, I am still finding it difficult to see the shapes as an artist does.

Thanks!