PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher May 5 - May 11

Pat Isaac
05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Good morning everyone,

Finally we are seeing the sun. How glorious. It has been cold rainy and raw for the past 3 days. The garden went back to sleep....:lol: Our concert went well yesterday, better than the one on Friday night. I'm off to the studio and I'll get back here later to catch up.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi Pat. Good to be home for a while. Beautiful sunny day here with just a tiny nip in the air. Enjoyed trip to Chicago AIC as I babbled on about in last Gusher (well named for me).

Family health seems to be stabilizing. Had my knee checked this morning. It seems the problem is I am getting older and (shocking to you all, I'm sure) starting to show the signs of, imagine, osteoarthritis that will continue to plague me (and many of us) as time goes on. Rx, exercise, tylenol, and, when it finally gets bad enough some years from now, knee replacement. Not particularly surprising but nothing out of the ordinary.

Pat, hope your husband is doing better, these days!

Anyway, have a couple of weeks before I head south to La for a while (will take my art stuff with me and have time to work on some things there). Trips have been fun, but at times I miss just being anchored in one place for a while!

Hope everyone is well, need to get sketching and found Homer (and early Hopper) inspirational.

Have a good week, everyone!

Bill

Shirl Parker
05-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Pat, and Bill. Is anyone else failing to receive email from WetCanvas? I haven't had any messages since 3:38 yesterday afternoon.

Pat Isaac
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds as if your trip to Chicago was great. I really like Hopper and was mad at myself for not finding the time to get to his exhibit here last summer. Hopefully it will come back. I am so happy to hear that your brother's surgery went well and the prognosis is good. Such a worry.
They are trying to regulate my husband's meds and when they get it right I am sure that he will improve rapidly. He also has osteoarthritis, which is a separate issue and will plague him. Interesting that the doctor said it is passed down from mother to children not father to children and his mother and grandmother were plagued with it.
I had a great studio day and will post the results soon.
I really do have to spend the day in the garden tomorrow and take advantage of this nice weather.
My husband is thinking of mowing the lawn tomorrow, and will probably need a scythe.:lol: :lol:
Get to the sketching.....:rolleyes:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Pat, and Bill. Is anyone else failing to receive email from WetCanvas? I haven't had any messages since 3:38 yesterday afternoon.

Hi Shirl...I'm not sure about the email since I turned it off because I couldn't keep up. However, the system has seemed to be moving at a slug's pace, at least on my machine.

Bill

Pat Isaac
05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Shirl,

I have not had any email messages either and I did get your PM. I was answering it and then WC shut down. I notified admin so we'll see what happens. Bill, you are right the site is moving at a slug's pace.

Pat

starblue
05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Don't slugs move faster? It's very slow for me, too.

Scarefishcrow
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Don't slugs move faster? It's very slow for me, too.

Y.................E....................S..................B..............O.........B...........I.............
T...........H.............I...............N................K........................T............H..........
Y.................
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/108067-j0395732.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/108067-j0288879.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/108067-j0236442.gif

Pat Isaac
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
:lol: :lol: ....B.....i......l......l.

The article about our group came out this month and here is a link to it if you are interested. Sorry can't do it as it is too big, but you could see it on our website. http://www.4thfloorartists.org/

Have a great day everyone.

Pat

Shirl Parker
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Nice article Pat. I had a good look at your website too.

Pat Isaac
05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Shirl. I think the photographers did a superb job and the article is well done also.

Pat

Peiwend
05-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Pat, a very interesting article with good photos...fun to read.

________________________Wendell

AngelaF
05-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Nice article Pat, hope the May open house gets really good attendance! I mowed the lawn for the second time this season Friday, by Monday it looked horrible -- raining too much to do it now, which is ok with me, really, as far as mowing goes. Farmers predicting direr outcomes now, though. I am thinking about moving faster to find those ponies new homes -- hay and grain getting out of sight. Like houses, more people want to sell than buy right now, though.

I was at my mom's Wed and Thur for medical tests that went well for her. She wants a colored pencil cat picture for mother's day which I look forward to working on later today and part of tomorrow. I was originally going to do CP when came back to art and read in the CP forum alot before coming here and starting with the OP. Things that seemed too complicated in CP seem understandable now, so I am giving them a go. There is a wonderful book by Anne DeMille Flood about doing animals in CP, which really is part of the inspiration -- I know I can translate what I learn to OP's as well. Getting up earlier now that my housemate has started back to regular full time work is taking a toll this week -- think it will take a little time to adjust, but enjoying having most of the day to myself, again after six months -- helps me schedule and do art better. I tell you, time is still a precious commodity though, I never dreamed that it could be eaten up so fast after retiring -- and I still feel guilty about house things I choose not to do in order to keep an art schedule.

I admire your traveling, Bill -- that's something I would like to do more of, but will have to cut down the farm and increase the funds somehow, I think before that can happen.

Have a great weekend all, Angela

Pat Isaac
05-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I know what you mean about time, Angela. I often say that I don't know how I had time to work. I think if you are a person who is used to being busy, you will be even in retirement, but now you get to do more fun things on your own terms.
Glad your Mom's test went well and have fun with the cat pic.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Nice article Pat, hope the May open house gets really good attendance! I mowed the lawn for the second time this season Friday, by Monday it looked horrible -- raining too much to do it now, which is ok with me, really, as far as mowing goes. Farmers predicting direr outcomes now, though. I am thinking about moving faster to find those ponies new homes -- hay and grain getting out of sight. Like houses, more people want to sell than buy right now, though.

I was at my mom's Wed and Thur for medical tests that went well for her. She wants a colored pencil cat picture for mother's day which I look forward to working on later today and part of tomorrow. I was originally going to do CP when came back to art and read in the CP forum alot before coming here and starting with the OP. Things that seemed too complicated in CP seem understandable now, so I am giving them a go. There is a wonderful book by Anne DeMille Flood about doing animals in CP, which really is part of the inspiration -- I know I can translate what I learn to OP's as well. Getting up earlier now that my housemate has started back to regular full time work is taking a toll this week -- think it will take a little time to adjust, but enjoying having most of the day to myself, again after six months -- helps me schedule and do art better. I tell you, time is still a precious commodity though, I never dreamed that it could be eaten up so fast after retiring -- and I still feel guilty about house things I choose not to do in order to keep an art schedule.

I admire your traveling, Bill -- that's something I would like to do more of, but will have to cut down the farm and increase the funds somehow, I think before that can happen.

Have a great weekend all, Angela

Angela, Your avatar picture looks far too young to be a retired person like me!!!! My problem is that unlike you and Pat, I am energy challenged!! Have always been a night person (genetic), but my wife gets up at 5:30 to go to work and doesn't like me puttering around when she goes to bed. Unfortunately I am not a morning person. That's why I don't really mind Pat's occassional sarcastic tap...tap...tap...'s. I need that to provoke (uh..motivate) me.

Truth is, were it not for having married a wonderful wife that is as frugal as I am profligate, and who takes my check and tells me what I can spend and also loves to travel I probably would never go anywhere but back to La to visit family! As soon as I finish getting my darn office converted into studio and get the basement cleaned up so my wife will continue to be happy, I will be much more likely to work since my ADD makes it a chore to get up to speed and once started, if I stop it seems like starting all over again. So we all have our own little challenges. I really do want to get some images together for the RIL (although I think I will wait for the "All clear" on the upgrades) because I think I have some really nice images that would make beautiful paintings. (Since I take more photos than I could possible use, e.g., 10,000 on my trip to Russia, I need help from others to make them into paintings!)

My BIL and his wife have two horses and only a small place and I know how much that seems to tie them down and limit what they can do (especilly with a son in the 2nd grade; although he asked for an easel on his christmas list and likes to paint with me when he visits). Horses are not like cats and dogs that can be either boarded or taken care of easily by someone else. How many horses do you have, Angela? You really seem to love them and that is so important to pets (my human, not biologist cap).

Also glad tests came out well with your mom. Things seem to be going well with my familie's recent spate of health problems and I will be going down soon to La for my Grand Niece's wedding and spend some time with my sister since she probably won't be coming up this summer. However, since she lives not too far from Dallas/Fort Worth, and since the Art I. Chigcago is renovating their French Impressionist area and has lent virtually their entire holdings in the area to the Kimbell Museum in Dallas, we are going to to over there for a couple of days and see Chicago's art in Texas! Anybody aware of other good art museums in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area we could visit while there?

I'm going to post some pics of my studio when I get done and see what y'all think. I'm trying hard to follow the good advice I've gotten and go minimalist to begin with rather than pack it so full I couldn't move around like I did when I set it up as an office! Real excited about having it, not so thrilled about getting it set up, though! Wish you and Pat could package some of the energy you exude.

Don't you think Pat's pic in the article was the most "Artist of Stature and Knowledge" looking in that article. Better than "McEvil" (:smug: :rolleyes: :evil:, inside joke alert).

Pat, keep on fighting. And Wendell, don't think I missed your brief appearance here. Don't tell us it is fruit flies and voles that have kept you away; we all know you probably are just too impatient to wait for the "slug" to respond:lol: :lol: :lol: to post. We'll wire you when upgrade done and back up to speed!!!

Beginning to be beautiful (but unpredictable) weather here. In central wisc. you never know when a snow flurry will sneak up on you, even into June!!!!

BABBLE ALARM!!!!

Ok! Love my cyberfriends and more later (undoubtably :lol: :lol: , and probably too much more).

BILL

Pat Isaac
05-09-2008, 05:10 PM
You always say I have energy, Bill. I'm not always sure that is true. The teacher I worked with for many years used to make me look like I was standing still and her mother used to make her look like she was standing still. Her mother still runs in races and she is 86 years old!!!! I do like to be busy though and I try not to take on more than I can handle. 'nuff said.
:lol: My husband is a night owl also and I got up at 5 for many years so it is ingrained. I'm a morning person and that is my most productive time. I veg at night, except for those when I go out....:rolleyes:
Artist of stature and knowlege....:eek:
One of my nephews in Vermont has 5 horses and they are a lot of care, but they love them and they also have many chickens, believe it or not one of their kids has named them all and knows which is which....
What a great exhibit you will be seeing in Texas, Bill. I'm jealous...:envy: Enjoy and I will be looking forward to your studio pics.
Rain again today and tomorrow, but it is warmer and this month is always unpredictable and the gardens eventually get in.

Have a great weekend.

Pat

Peiwend
05-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi all! I've been busy, busy, busy. The new sewage system is almost finished and, with the old septic tank having been taken out, the backyard is a big mess. Through the window yesterday, I watched a vole sitting on its haunches beside a rock munching on a big geranium leaf. It looked like a "Tanya" painting. Now, I wish the voles would develop a taste for the goutweed that has spread through some of the flower beds. The happy looking village cats have certainly developed a taste for the voles! At least there's too much rain to mow the grass.

I've just finished framing the five completed large paintings and will be taking them to the galleries tomorrow. The other seven oil paintings are mostly almost done! I'm also working on four soft pastels and starting on a few oil pastels. Hope they sell soon so I can redo the bathroom that's falling apart. My house is 150+ years old and a registered historic property so nothing is easy or cheap to do!

I'm also busy with the planning board. We are rewriting the whole planning act for this small village.

So Bill, all that and the slowness of Wet Canvas lately is why I haven't been posting too much. Is it true that you've invited yourself and others to come and help me?

___________________________________Wendell

Pat Isaac
05-10-2008, 05:45 PM
:lol: that is too funny about your vole, Wendell. I have a chipmunk story. We had put in another dry well for our washing machine and dishwasher, actually awhile back as we now have sewage. It was working fine and then one day it all backed up into the cellar. Upon inspection it seemed as if the drainage pipe was filled with rocks. Our trusty chipmunks had systematically filled it as it was now spilling water on their little trenches....Are they smart or what?
Glad you are getting the paintings done despite the wildlife. You sound very busy and I wish you many sales.
Good luck with the planning board. It can be difficult in small towns.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi all! I've been busy, busy, busy. The new sewage system is almost finished and, with the old septic tank having been taken out, the backyard is a big mess. Through the window yesterday, I watched a vole sitting on its haunches beside a rock munching on a big geranium leaf. It looked like a "Tanya" painting. Now, I wish the voles would develop a taste for the goutweed that has spread through some of the flower beds. The happy looking village cats have certainly developed a taste for the voles! At least there's too much rain to mow the grass.

I've just finished framing the five completed large paintings and will be taking them to the galleries tomorrow. The other seven oil paintings are mostly almost done! I'm also working on four soft pastels and starting on a few oil pastels. Hope they sell soon so I can redo the bathroom that's falling apart. My house is 150+ years old and a registered historic property so nothing is easy or cheap to do!

I'm also busy with the planning board. We are rewriting the whole planning act for this small village.

So Bill, all that and the slowness of Wet Canvas lately is why I haven't been posting too much. Is it true that you've invited yourself and others to come and help me?

___________________________________Wendell

:eek: Oh Wendell, it's just that I miss your special wit and wisdom when you are not around!! (NO I AM NOT SUCKING UP, AND YES I AM WORKING ON PAINTING!)

OOOPS. Now Wendell, I don't know where that nasty rumor got started about my inviting everyone up to your place for an OP Paint-IN! I think it came about when I jokingly suggested everyone should go up to your place for a week long Paint-IN in some obscure forum. Now how could that possibly get taken as my suggesting everyone go up to your place for a weeklong OP Paint-IN??? It is really amazing how some things you say get so twisted in the retelling, isn't it? :angel: :angel: :angel:

Besides,

1. I know you are trying to finish before the fruitflies make painting impossible.

2. You are a busy professional with lots to MOTIVIATION (I.E., = bills to pay).

3. I have enjoyed joking about your voles, I have to admit!

4. I didn't know you were on the planning board, but from the rustic nature of the place as you describe it the best plan would be to leave it alone and keep it secret so you don't end up with a bunch of jerks comming up and invading the place for a weeklong OP Paint-IN! :rolleyes:

5. I suspected that your busy painting schedule left little time to dawdle while wainting for the slow forum lately.

and finally,

6. I was heartbroken when I got to the NC Museum of Art, having seen online that they were the proud owners of one Bierstadt's HUNORMOUS CANVAS "YOSEMITE FALLS", only to find that in the flurry of rennovation they had sent it and virtually all their Hudson River School and other American works to other museums temporarily!!!!

I'm glad to hear you are finishing up and if I could afford it, I would certainly buy one of your canvases. However, I couldn't even affort those RF oilsticks Pat says are great when I was at Dick Blick's in Chicago last weekend. Looks like its Shiva and Kama for me until I get as famous and MOTIVATED as you!:)

Fell in love with Homer at the AIChicago exhibit. I have been reading the book about the exhibition and Homer and keep thinking of you. Great quote from last nights' chapter was Homer's comment that "...one should never paint a blue sky!" When asked why he retorted something to the effect "Because it looks like the devil, Man!! And that line, that horrible straight line!" (Seems he didn't particularly like horizons at the time).

Cheers!:wave:
:music: :heart: :heart: :music:

Pat Isaac
05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the mothers. Enjoy the day
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2008/35760-Mothers_day.gif

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Angela...I promised I would post details about that table I mentioned in another thread. The table is manufactured by Daler-Rowney. (Creative Station, I think). I saw it once in a Jerry's sale catalog but couldn't find it. Happend to see it at Blicks store in Chicago. Was about $40 (have seen on sale for $20).. I really like it and it is incredibly simple in design. Top rotates freely; wood ball socket join can be loosened to allow tilt in any direction; canvas holds clam by wingnuts in portrait or landscape (although I modified them for holding thinner paper).

Images Attached.

Scarefishcrow
05-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Additional images attached. See previous post for details.

BILL

Peiwend
05-14-2008, 11:59 PM
HELLO! HELLO?

Anybody here? Pat?

What's going on? I'm all alone here. I guess that's why it's fast.

There's no one here so I guess I'll go to bed.

_______________________Wendell

Pat Isaac
05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Not alone....WC has been down for me since Monday.....I guess it is working again.

Pat

Shirl Parker
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Me here...happy to reconnect

Scarefishcrow
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Not alone....WC has been down for me since Monday.....I guess it is working again.

Pat
Pat, Did we lose the Weekly OP Sketch Thread for this week?? I can find the Sketch Threads through May 5-11, but not this week's? Or did I just overlook it?

Bill

Shirl Parker
05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Softies lost theirs too.