View Full Version : Velour paper
05-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Here I am again, with more questions.
Has anyone out there done any OP painting on velour paper? I ordered a sheet for grins, and I've just played around on a scrap of it so far.
It's an intriguing surface, because it gives you really soft edges, but it seems like it might be tricky to correct errors on it. It doesn't seem to erase easily, even with pastel pencil.
Again, any info is welcome, thanks,
05-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I haven't tried this yet, Lisa, but a friend gave me some. I know Wendy (sundiver) uses it a lot. Maybe she will see this.
05-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I haven't used velour paper, but I have tried ops on velour matboard, and it didn't work for me at all.The soft edges were nice, but correcting errors was difficult and I did't like the overall effect in general. Good luck with it. Let us know if you have any success.
06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, here's an experiment I did on velour paper. I don't love the outcome, but I don't hate it, either.
Here's what I learned from my one painting (grain of salt, please, long-time users may have better results):
1. Any lines put on the paper with colored or pastel pencil are forever! The paper dents incredibly easily, even placed over several sheets of paper for padding.
2. For me, Holbeins worked a little better than Senns, because they applied more smoothly. Some of the Senns kind of stuck to the fibers.
3. I had no luck trying to erase on velour.
4. Blending isn't easy either.
5. Nice soft edges, great for atmospheric effects.
6. There seems to be no limit to how many layers you can put down. Some areas of my painting have 6 - 10 layers (applied lightly).
Overall a pretty challenging surface to work on, but I may try a figure on it at some point just for grins.
The landscape is attached, about 12 x 16" on gray velour.
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
It does have an appealing soft atmospheric feel to it. I have some velour my studio partner gave me, but have yet to try it. I get the feeling that I would have the same problems as you did.
vBulletin® v3.5.8, Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.