PDA

View Full Version : 30 Wooden Spools

ponting
05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
It's been a while since I felt I needed a challenge so I dragged out some photos I took several years ago to do this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2008/34523-30-spools-WC.jpg

Title: 30 Wooden Spools
Size: 10 x 21
C & C welcome and appreciated.

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Tressa
05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
ok, I quit with realism!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, is beautiful!! I can only look with awe.
Tres

CindyW
05-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Ahhhh.....a glorious rainbow thread! :)
Beautifully painted.

Cindy

NickyW
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Dianna:wave:
WOW this is absolutely mindblowing, you must have oodles of patience (unlike myself :lol: ) one of those wooden spools would challenge me let alone 30:eek: They are beautifully rendered, and soooooooo real looking, im totally in AWE too. Very well done indeed. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GaryNorthants
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Superb, just amazingly beautiful.
Gary

ponting
05-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Thank you very much!! The real challenge was getting the perspective right. I wanted to over-emphasize it so that it radiated out from the center...not unlike as cityscape seen from above.

Cheers, Dianna

ponting
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Let's see if I can do better here with a side by side.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2008/34523-30-spools-left.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2008/34523-30-spools-right.jpg

It is interesting Cindy that you noticed the rainbow running through it as most people don't :lol:

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

NickyW
05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
You certainly acheived that perspective Dianna, thats for sure..oh i forgot to mention the woodgrain in the table is fantastic too it has a lovely sheen to it.
Ahhh we must of posted at the same time :lol: the closeups are great, wow, and yes Cindy is very observant, i didnt pick up the rainbow colours..they are beautiful..

backlash
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Dianne, you must be confused and have uploaded the photo ref! :rolleyes: Really, I zoomed my monitor to 400% and still can't tell this is a pastel... totally amazing!!
Incredible work! When are you coming to the east coast to do a clinic????

Leslie

binkie
05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
All I can say is that it's extraordinary!!!!!

binkie

ponting
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Thank you Nicky and Binkie How nice to see old friends drop in. :wave: :p

Leslie - 400%!! :lol: I am working on Toronto but not the east coast, as of yet, but suggest some good places and I will look into it. :p
I see you frequent Wyoming...I'll not be far from there for my June workshop.

So.....how many spools are there really in this painting? :D

M Douglas
05-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Fantastic subject, love the colours and the wood grain but what amazes me is the tiny writing on the spools:eek: Another "Stunning Ponting Original" :clap:

Melodie

Colorix
05-02-2008, 04:09 PM
31. There can't be fewer, but may be more. One behind the balancing green, and one hardly visible under the reclining blue, and it may need nr 32 to stay put.

Amazing! I absolutelty don't have the patience for doing something like this, but I can admire the work of a master! Very neat that you put the warm colours nearest the light source, too.

But, how on earth do you *do* them? Magic? :-)

Rowey
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Im amazed by the realism of this beautiful work, with pastel too!! Please could i ask what pastels you use and paper im new to the pastel scene and it just facinates me when i see work like this.

best wishes
Tracey

DAK723
05-02-2008, 04:26 PM
WOW!!

Don

*Marina*
05-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Wow Dianna, this sure is a challenge. Just great. Love it.

Alessandra Rosi
05-02-2008, 05:06 PM
How many... I don't know, I'm too lazy and tired... to count them!

However, how extraordinary, stunning is this painting , I can easily say that!

Will you ever come to Italy to teach? ..Please...

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Alessandra

ponting
05-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Thank you Don and Melodie for the kind words! :p

You are right Charlie!! There are 31 :lol: but 30 was a nice round number for a title.

Rowey There is no end to the number of pastel brands I use. Generally, whichever one is the right colour is my only preference at the time. :D However, I do love my Unisons (for consistency of texture) and my Terry Ludwig Intense Darks (which speak for themselves). I prefer Carb Othello pencils, though I have and use many other brands and also use make good use of my NuPastel and Holbiens especially for certain colours or colour groups. I also use Schmincke when I have need of them. Okay I'll stop now. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

Calcbunny
05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
You are so talented. I could never in my wildest dreams be that good. It looks like a photo.

I am not worthy.....

Mario V
05-02-2008, 05:54 PM
At first I thought you posted the reference photo :lol:.
Amazing!!!

Dianne, please post some of your early clumsy paintings so we newbies can feel that there is still chance for us :):):)

qpdoll
05-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh My! This is gorgeous!!!

Gail V
05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Dianna!!!! This is a BEAUTIFUL!!! STUNNING!!! You are one amazing artist!!

Paula Ford
05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
HOLY COW!! I have no words at the moment!!

Paula

Kathryn Day
05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
:wave: Hi Dianna, nice to "see" you. Love the spools, and the woodgrain of the table. Now I need to go back and look at them again. :)

maw-t
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Mind blowing that you did this with pastels. Any medium, but how in the world do you get pastels to shine like that & yes the writing.. you must have a very steady hand to go along with all that patience!

ponting
05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Gee this is like old home week. I shouldn't stay away so long. Hi Gail, Paula, Kathy...great of you to drop in!! :wave: It's been a while.

Hello to new friends, T, Mario, Abbe and QP...QP..I see you sew making this a familiar site in your home.

You all are giving me way to much credit. There is not nearly the detail in here that it seems. the thread/sheen is a result of just bars of colour and the addition of a little pencil 'thread' makes it appear more than it is.

You can see by the labels here that they are not nearly as detailed or acurate as they seem neither.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2008/34523-spools-right.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2008/34523-spools-center.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2008/34523-spool-labels-left.jpg

fiannah
05-02-2008, 09:53 PM
they look incredibly detailed to me, all I can say is WOW Thank you for sharing! :clap:

*Violet*
05-02-2008, 10:23 PM
awesome !! ... simply awesome !! ... what you can do with pastels !! ... and what we can learn from you !! .... masterful painting indeed ... i too love the rainbow order of the colours and the detail in the lettering ... very effective ... hope you'll keep me informed of a toronto booking !!! ... wouldn't miss it !!

mrking
05-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Thank you Don and Melodie for the kind words! :p

You are right Charlie!! There are 31 :lol: but 30 was a nice round number for a title.

Rowey There is no end to the number of pastel brands I use. Generally, whichever one is the right colour is my only preference at the time. :D However, I do love my Unisons (for consistency of texture) and my Terry Ludwig Intense Darks (which speak for themselves). I prefer Carb Othello pencils, though I have and use many other brands and also use make good use of my NuPastel and Holbiens especially for certain colours or colour groups. I also use Schmincke when I have need of them. Okay I'll stop now. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

Since you keep forgeting about your set of Great Americans can I have em? :D:D:D

Love this painting BTW. More so than your allsorts.

WC Lee
05-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I would comment but I'm busy picking up my teeth off the floor when my jaw hit the ground after seeing the painting :D

This is simply fantastic!!!

CindyW
05-03-2008, 12:33 AM
It is interesting Cindy that you noticed the rainbow running through it as most people don't :lol:

Hi Dianna,
It was the first thing my mind became acutely aware of upon opening your thread since I lovelovelove color. I've never been able to say "My favorite color is ----" without filling in the blank with "the rainbow". (I meant to be a bit more witty with "rainbow" and "thread" but you got it anyways, I'm sure.)
Cheers to YOU for painting and sharing another gorgeous painting so many of us drop our jaws to the floor upon viewing. (As W.C. says so eloquently above!):D
Cindy :)

Holley
05-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Amazing work. You sure know how to paint!

klord
05-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Exquisite!

Westerngirl
05-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Everyone has already said it all.......can't think of anything else to say except.....I'm amazed at your talent! This is STUNNING! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ponting
05-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Thank you everyone!! So Cindy....we both have the same favourite! colour :lol:

It serves me well to post close-ups of bits of the painting....I find myself wondering how I managed to make such an error on the orange spool with the pink "Coats" writing. The thread is waaay too fat for the spool. I shall have to work on that. :p

Diana_pastels
05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Dianna, another gorgeous, amazing, painting! Thank you so much for sharing! As soon as I saw your name, I had to open this thread immediately! Thank you for the close-ups, too, love to see the detail. I sure would love to take another workshop with you - you are a master!
Diana

Terry
05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Excellent work AGAIN Donna !
AND She id comming to the Denver,Colorado area to do a workshop also!!!!

jkook
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
awesome. You sure this isn't a photo :) Realism at it's best.
Jim

water girl
05-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Dianna, How simple is a spool of thread? Simply amazing!!:lol: :lol: Seriously, how can you take such an ordinary, every day item, and turn it into a splendid work of art?

ponting
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Terry...great of you to stop in! Do you recognize some of those lovely darks in those spools? I would think so...couldn't perform without them. I am looking so forward to seeing where Terry Ludwig hangs his hat not to mention checking out your complete selection up close and personal. Oops...that sounds a little risque! :lol:

Thank you Jim.:)

Karen, I understand Gail is coming to stay with you. Diana will have to join us and some of the others and we can have night out....old home week!

rhapsodyerin
05-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Dianna, another excellent painting. The colors are gorgeous. Such a simple subject and you can make it yield a most wonderful work of art. Looking forward to seeing you in August with Karen, Terri, Gail and Jen.

ponting
05-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Oh my goodness Barbara, it really will be old home week!! :lol: :clap:

Alison2
05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Dianna, what a beautiful painting - amazing!

Thank you so much for sharing and the lovely close ups! I sew, but daren't try and paint my threads (they're all tangled up as though the cat has been at them!) but it's a lesson that there's beauty everywhere!

Thanks for sharing.

Alison:wave:

Diana_pastels
05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Karen, I understand Gail is coming to stay with you. Diana will have to join us and some of the others and we can have night out....old home week!

Okay, where are you all going to be and when?!!! I would love to do another workshop with you Dianna, and the rest of the gang as well!
Diana

plindley
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I have to ask... what did you do this on (surface)? and I assume you made a very detailed drawing of the shapes and positions of the spools before you started. What was that done with? I have been using vine charcoal but it doesn't work well on suede mat board which is what I am experimenting with now.

I am trying to learn from the 'masters' on WC... you are evidently one of them:thumbsup:

IdahoHat
05-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I feel like jumping up and down with delight! Amazing! Your work is so pristine with rich, rich color. Just love it! I wish I could take your workshop in June since it is so near, but we will be in Texas at that time. I'll be watching for another, though.

chinchilla
05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
my first reaction was "holy [email protected]#$!!" lol!
my second reaction was "wow - what patience" but then again - you work faster than i can - lol! i would be ripping my eyeballs out :) amazing and beautiful!

Trilby
05-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Ah, Dianna, your work is always such a delightful venture for the eyes. I've missed seeing it here on the boards and am happy to see you back. I love the interplay of light and shadow and of course the repetition of form that builds in interest not to mention that wonderful prismatic color display.
TJ

Bringer
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Heck ! Double Heck !
Just the way I like it.

Hi Diana :-)

Kind regards,

Josť

Merriel
05-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Dianna: Hard to believe this is a painting. Simply amazing. Your work is beautiful.

merriel

ponting
05-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Where am I going to be Diana?? Well, back in San Clemente in August but I am afraid the class is full with a waiting list. Littleton Colorado in July...sorry Harriet, did I say June before? July 12 and 13 if the correct date.

So this is my C/K year for workshops....Castlegar, Colorado, California, Calgary and Kelowna.

Jen and Merriel...thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated :wave:

Josť and Trilby....good to hear from you both...you guys are real diehards...not going away till they steal your crayons right?? :lol:

Patricia. Thanks for the lovely comment. I am using La Carte pastel card and I do my drawing on cartridge paper and transfer it to the La Carte as I need it. Unless it is something simple then I would just draw it lightly with a General white charcoal pencil.

momof6
05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Wow, what a treat! I love the glow of the wood in particular!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

dragonclaw
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
The piece is so beautiful and rich!

I wanted to take your San Clemente workshop as they said there was an opening at the time. I called immediately to give them my credit card number and unfortunately they were mistaken, i'm 3rd on the waiting list. Sooo sad.... but trying to follow your WIP threads to learn as much as I can before I get a chance to come to a workshop.

Haha, this is the ultimate 'Thread' thread!
-Giao

palettetalk
05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
OMG Dianna , those spools are a gorgeous rainbow of colours (as noted earlier).
Wow! and Wow! again! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see you next month in Kelowna and waiting with baited breath to see what you will have us all working on.

Cheers,
Susan

ponting
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Hello there Tracy...how nice to 'see' you again so soon!! :cat: Once again I am not getting my instant notification when people post to my threads. Hmmm??

Gaio, what a great pun!!! :lol: If you don't get into the San Clemente class, maybe you can drive down and see what we are up to. :p In any event, getting on the waiting list is good as things do come up and cancellations occur.

Gee Susan....what a great PR person you are!! I should hire you since I see you took my notice of cancellations very seriously with a new thread. :lol:

Cheers, Dianna

lorna12
05-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Sheesh! And I thought of myself as a detail nut...I honestly thought the first pic was a photo of what you were going to do, until I started reading the thread. WOW! Amazing work, Dianna!! I love the rainbow of colors in this one...just beautiful!

Your Calgary workshop...is that the one you did or is there another coming up? I'll be there in June. *fingers crossed*

ponting
05-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Lorna...thanks so much!! :wave:

I just finished the workshop in Calgary a couple of weeks ago and am doing the next is in Kelowna on June 5th and 6th.

Cheers, Dianna:cat:

MrDetail
05-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Sheesh! I think I'm going to have to change my username. I can no longer live up to it!

VeronicaF
05-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa Fiore
05-09-2008, 01:17 PM
My mouth pretty much hit the floor when I opened this up. Amazing. Beautiful! How I wish I had just a sliver of your incredible talent!! :)

ponting
05-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Elizabeth, Vernonica and Mr D...thanks so very much. I actually keep trying to get looser and I am succeeding in small degrees.....:lol:

Adele O
05-21-2008, 09:06 PM
WOW!!! Beautiful!!! Throw green pastel dust on me and call me envy! It's hard to believe I'm not scrutinizing a photo! Unbelievable!

mrking
05-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Elizabeth, Vernonica and Mr D...thanks so very much. I actually keep trying to get looser and I am succeeding in small degrees.....:lol:

Oh, common!!!!!!! :D hhahahahahah

ponting
05-21-2008, 10:53 PM
WOW!!! Beautiful!!! Throw green pastel dust on me and call me envy! It's hard to believe I'm not scrutinizing a photo! Unbelievable!

I had not seen this written before Adele and just love the saying but that is never the intention. It is but so show you what can be accomplished with pastel. I, in turn, look at what is posted in the oil forum and sighhhhhh!!

Michael...I am sure I have a raspberry somewhere here to send you!! :lol:

Cheers, Di :D

ponting
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh, common!!!!!!! :D hhahahahahah
This will do Michael.... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2008/34523-34523-Slap_emoticon_V2.gif

Di :lol:

Enzolog
05-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Fantastic as alwais!!!!

dbjs
05-25-2008, 06:30 AM
wow great to see another master piece from you! :D lovely!

ponting
05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Enzo and Dorte...It's always nice when old friends stop by to say hello!! :wave: Thanks a bunch!!

bnoonan
05-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Dianna,

You have my permission not to post for a long time if you come up with masterpieces like this on a regular (semi-weekly) basis. Wow - I have to go back and look more closely.

What I enjoy so much about your work is the light - how it dances, the colors and how they just make my mouth water and the fact that your subject matter is so close to home. I feel like I'm sitting on the ground in front of Mom's sewing machine just watching the spools spin as I take a thread and run around the room with it.

Love it!!! Barb

ponting
05-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh you were a brat Barb....:evil: Thanks ever so much, Dianna :wave:

Artwayze
05-27-2008, 04:52 AM
That's a photograph.....
Isn't it? :lol:
Beautiful rainbow... The silky threads look... well, silky!
:thumbsup:
John

PatrickHedges
05-27-2008, 09:17 AM
That's just mad!!! I'm speechless!! Ok, I'm not - never been speechless before, but this is one of the most extraordinary pieces I've ever seen!! From the rainbow to the realism to the beautiful composition to the light. Nothing missing!!!

PatrickHedges
05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
But then I saw your website and I see it's just normal for you :clap:

ponting
05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
John and Patrick...thanks so much!! Loved your guitar pickin' John!!

Patrick, what an honor to receive comments from such a wonderful artist as yourself. Loved your resources photos also....Such a gift to WC!!

mrking
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
This will do Michael.... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2008/34523-34523-Slap_emoticon_V2.gif

Di :lol:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: But i am so much of an :angel:. :D

Mary Brigid
05-28-2008, 08:03 AM
OH Wow . This is stunning Dianna. Like all before me I thought it was a ref photo at first. I love everything about this. Just everything. Thank you so much for taking time to show the close ups. I have enjoyed looking at this painting so much.
Just wonderful
Mary Brigid

ponting
05-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Thank you Mary. Now how did we get a landscape painter in here? :lol: I guess like me, you check out all types of art. I loved the one with the bridge...one of your best!! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Dianna

Mary Brigid
05-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes Dianna I love all types of art. Expecially good art like yours. :)
Very nice of you to comment on my bridge Dianna. I am thrilled that you liked it. I have not painted anything since I finnised it. Ill health got in the way of painting. Even though I am better now I just can't seem to get back to it.:( I have blank page on the easel and just can't manage to pick up a pastel !!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ponting
07-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I think the key Mary is to start something small that you are totally comfortable with. Nothing challenging...just to get you motivated. At present I am working on four acrylics of horses...not my forte and driving me nuts. I am procrastinating most of my day away but refuse to let myself do anything else until they are done. :lol:

Cheers, Dianna