PDA

View Full Version : Glassworking/Music Connection

prairieson
07-09-2002, 03:07 PM
I wonder how many glass artists out here also have roots in music? I've been a musician for decades and recently started working in glass... lampwork/beadmaking and offhand glasswork. After a particularly intense day in front of the furnace I was struck by certain similarities between glasswork and music.

Most significantly that both arts are constrained by time.

In music, the essence of the art is the immersion in the moment, and the result is completely dependent on the execution of that moment, never to be recovered or corrected. You can practice and prepare, and you can have expectations, but the music itself is of the instant it is executed. And sometimes the creation is a totally unexpected thing, good or bad.

That day in the studio, I realized that exactly the same thing could be said of glasswork. And it occured to me that the real art isn't the bead or paperweight or recording, those are only reminders of the real art... the art of the moment.

So anyway, I'm curious as to your musical connections and thoughts on the relationship between glass and music.

Modesto
07-09-2002, 03:16 PM
I do and see a strong connection. Check this thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48317

Anne Londez
07-09-2002, 05:05 PM
I agree too. Although neither glass nor music have been my main activity, I've been heavily involved in both (although glass is much more recent) and I was saying that if I ever ditch my real job, I would like to earn my living doing both. Probably not very practical, but it's only a dream for now.
Anne :cool:

b2beads
07-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Well, I wanted to be a rock singer....so I went to a small private school for a music degree. Of course, I ended up in computers. And now, melting glass. Works for me... B2

margaretz
07-09-2002, 07:01 PM
Prarieson, well articulated, astute observations.
These connections- the idea that the true art of any piece, be it music, glass, dance, painting, is within the moments of its creation- run very deep in all media. This is especially apparent in music. As we discussed in a recent thread, music (and other performance arts for that matter) creates an atmosphere, a mood that can affect everyone listening at that moment. Recording those muscial moments can partially recreate that atmosphere, but never entirely.
Now I don't find this is always the case in visual arts, which often create two different environments, one for the artist and one for the viewer. We have the moment of creation, but usually it is only the artist and perhaps a few lucky others that experience that magic. Then there is the moment one views that remnant of its creation and feels the atmosphere that it creates.
This is especially so with glass. Humans have this strange facination with it, probably because of our facination with fire. Fire (at least the ability to manipulate it) was, after all, the evolutionary gift to humans alone. Viewing glass art as someone who doesn't work with it evokes this wonder, baffled questions of "how'd they do that?!" plus the emotion the artist put into that piece. Even though I work with glass now, I hope to never lose that wonder when I admire glass art.
Thanks for letting me ramble. Congrats to anyone who made it to the end of this....

Modesto
07-09-2002, 07:05 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Margaret:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glassy79
07-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Harold
I do and see a strong connection. Check this thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48317

Maybe you should go back to your music roots.............and forget about tryin to make a marble?

Just a thought!

Signed, a friend

Modesto
07-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Glassy79

Maybe you should go back to your music roots.............and forget about tryin to make a marble?

Just a thought!

Signed, a friend

It might take awhile before I reach your skill level but, I don't have one foot in the grave either. Glass and Music...I think they are related in many ways...it's not one or the other for me.:D

Glassy79
07-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Harold

It might take awhile before I reach your skill level but, I don't have one foot in the grave either. Glass and Music...I think they are related in many ways...it's not one or the other for me.:D

one foot in the grave? you callin me old?
lol

Anne Londez
07-10-2002, 04:25 AM
Oh oh, heard that one before...:evil:
Anne

AnnArbor_Blower
01-19-2004, 08:53 PM
I wonder how many glass artists out here also have roots in music? ...
My offhand instructor has a BA in music performance!

EyesOfTheWorld
01-19-2004, 09:16 PM
I do glass and music (mandolin, guitar, bass) and let me tell you something, I am a hell of a lot better at music that I am at glass.

froggee501
01-19-2004, 10:05 PM
I do piano, percussion, and guitar, and have a decent singing voice... I also love glass in all forms. However, it's not a music/glass thing for me, as I love and can do well in ALL art forms... drawing, painting, sculpting, acting, dancing, etc. For me, it's just a creative/art thing. :)

juniemoon
01-19-2004, 10:37 PM
i love music too, and play guitar, and i played stand up bass in a the rising creek bluegrass band for over five years that was really so much fun.
i act/sing on stage at least once a year in musical review type shows and im in the praise band at church.......yeah i guess i love music too.......i work to it, workout to it, and torch to it too........connection? yea to everything i do.

Sarica
01-19-2004, 11:07 PM
When I was in school I played the oboe, bari sax and tenor sax. I love listening to music, all kinds!

xoticbead
01-19-2004, 11:23 PM
15 years of Organ lessons, 5 years of guitar, sing and play in church and at a local retirement center. Don't listen to music when I torch, I like the hushed tones on nothing but the torch and the oxycon and the "voices" in my head :0).
Liz

chuckie
01-20-2004, 01:04 AM
I started singing in choirs at the age of 7. Even got to sing the national anthem at my graduation (my 15 minutes of fame...). I play guitar and write music.

Char

nursekatie
01-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Very Interesting! My soul is an artist and a musician.......although....if you heard me sing in the shower....you would truly wonder about that!! :evil: Until I found Glass art......my artist soul was unable to express itself in any other medium......so I suppose I can say that I am truly happy to have found a way to do that.....especially since my children beg me not to sing :D I also might add that I transfered the love of both on to my children and fortunatley for them they can all read, play and sing music very well and can do any form of art and you can tell what it is!! :clap:

Ignuss-Fatuus
01-20-2004, 07:52 AM
just to throw my hat in the ring I studied music privately and in school since I was 9 years old till I was 18...ive sang since I was 5 ...and I still do though not nearly as much as I use to...my voice is a bit outta practice...

RobynT
01-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Well, if you know me at all..you know that music is my other passion. I started out as a voice performance major in college and studied for years. I've done opera and light opera and of course, I've sung in church since I was 6. Right now I'm the music minister's secretary at my church and I direct the children's choirs. I love music..its a huge part of me!!!!

nicolac
01-20-2004, 11:45 AM
It certainly does seem like music has a big connection to people who get into glass work. I wonder how many of us are into computers/IT of some kind?

As for me, I'm a percussionist and started when I was a kid. Now, I play in a marching band, a concert band and have started doing concerts with a number of orchestras to try and give my abilities a stretch again. Besides that, I attempt to play guitar (badly :) ) and am supposed to be learning saxaphone.....there just ain't enough hours in the days!!!

Nicola :)

beaderpaine
01-20-2004, 05:22 PM
This an interesting question! I've played the harp (pedal, lever, and cross-strung) for almost 30 years and started doing lampwork about 2 years ago. I've always done crafs of some sort (needlepoint, embroidery, cross-stitch, crochet, and lots of beadwork) all my life, and I've always felt that all of these interests, combined with my music, are all just different ways of expressing the soul.

Some interesting comparisons between making beads and playing harp:
1. Neither one is inexpensive!
2. What starts off as an interest quickly becomes an obsession!
3. Both can result in sore fingers!
4. Both are great forms of meditation, allowing my mind to concentrate solely on what I'm doing at that moment!
5. Both have many "acquisition syndromes" that go along with them (HAS = Harp Acquisition Syndrome; MAS = Music Acquisition Syndrome; GAS (ooops!) = Glass Acquisition Syndrome; TAS = Tool Acquisition Syndrome, etc.) You get the idea!
6. Both interests can take over a room very quickly!
7. Both are things I wish I could do for a full-time income instead of this dumb job!

I'm sure you all can fill in lots more of your own similarities between your various interests!

EyesOfTheWorld
01-22-2004, 03:48 PM
there just ain't enough hours in the days!!!

Nicola :)

Tell me about it, I had to give up trombone, bass clarinet, and dulcimer because I never had enough time. Though I started playing harmonica (I'm not too bad either) and I can do that anytime, even in the car.

Kerensamere
01-22-2004, 05:35 PM
I played the piano years ago. Haven't played any instruments in quite some time, but I love to sing with the radio or whatever CD I'm listening to at the time. OK, yes, a voice is an instrument if you want to be technical.

I absolutely love to work in my studio with the music turned up. Different days, different moods, different tunes. Rock, jazz, swing, big band, show tunes, acoustic, you name it. I can't work in silence. I've always been that way. Even when I worked in an office, I had to have the radio on in the background in order to keep my brain focused. If it gets too quite I feel like my thoughts start to wander out the door and down the hall when I'm trying to concentrate on what's in front of me. -Jen