PDA

View Full Version : Photo paint-along for May/june 08

artbyjune
05-02-2008, 02:36 AM
:thumbsup: The classical paint along with us...from some photo references.

Two month's to choose your photo and post your work. Any size, medium, style. You can get creative and combine images, or use the photos to branch out on a theme.

Hope something from these 3 photos inspire you. All three are from the RIL.

1. looking out to sea

2. basset hound

3. Rochdale Canal

Looking forward to seeing your WIP and finished work...two month's to do it!!:wave:

azulparsnip
05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
tough choice

artbyjune
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm going with the bassett hound!

Nickel
05-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Haha that Hound has a real personality!

I don't know which way I am going yet, I might surprise myself!

Great project!

artbyjune
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you do!

tyree
05-04-2008, 08:06 AM
think ill give one a try, ill try paints (if they havent dried up by now:lol: ),,,tyree:wave:

artbyjune
05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Good to have you on board. I had a break today..maybe I'll get around to the hound tomorrow!

eyepaint
05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
What a cool hound! Love those ears!!!!! :)

Kryan
05-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I am going to try the Looking out to Sea picture. I am trying to get back to acrylics after working for a while in oils and this looks like just the picture to inspire me. This is my first attempt at a project and was wondering about any rules with respect to size etc.

Kryan
05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Oops!! Just reread the first post and realize all the info is there. Sorry.

Rooster76
05-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm going to try this! Wish me luck ... I'll need all the luck I can get. :o

Sharon

artbyjune
05-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Hi Kathleen and Sharon. Welcome to the photo paint-along. Kathleen, the girls looking out to sea is a marvellous choice. I'm looking forward to seeing it in acrylics. Sharon, I'm looking forward to seeing your post too. What will you pick? Have fun everyone.

Mony G
05-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Wow .. what a great choice ! I actually haven't left you , I was just cruising around and taking part to the Still Life Projects ... I think I'll try the bridge one here ...It's absolutely lovely!!!

by the way .. I've got a new profile in another portal which is interesting .. most artists are Italian but you can choose the language and register if you want to .. this is my profile ..

http://www.equilibriarte.org/eqmember/3886

my blog

http://360.yahoo.com/rgosparini

briansommers
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Any size, medium, style

so, according to the rules, can I - do this in digital? (Corel Painter) and I could even do an abstract? or are abstracts not allowed?

azulparsnip
05-05-2008, 03:19 PM
June -that bassett hound looks like he could a stalwart friend

Nickel- what will it be???? it is hard, eh

Tyree - Hi-ho!! looking forward to your work,

Eyepaint - Hi

Kathleen - greetings, hope that sea will get you stirred up -

Sharon - here's some luck (*&(^%$#@) - no...that is not an expletive delitive- it's luck :D :clap:

Brian ---- oooohh BOY , bring it on!!!!!:clap:

I think I'll go with the girls at the sea - here's a value study I did while traveling this weekend. And here's the hound on an envelope.

azulparsnip
05-05-2008, 03:24 PM
attachments

artbyjune
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I love the immediacy of these drawings azul. You've really captured the hound's expression. Are you going on to do them in paint?

shunter
05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello -
I just happened to pop in from my home over in the Acrylics forum. Looking out to sea has caught my fancy. Reminded me of Frank W Benson (attached). I have already done a pencil sketch on a 16 x 20 Frederix Watercolor Canvas Board and will pull out the acrylics with my next free couple of hours (within the next month :lol::lol::lol: I hope).

Steve

Curt57
05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I am looking forward to doing the "Looking Out To Sea" scene.

artbyjune
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi Steve and Curtis. Looking forward to your artworks. The posted painting by Benson is truly lovely...full of light. I'd never come across this artist.

ARTMUTT
05-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi!

I'm the Basset Hounds Mom! Her name is Penelope and she is a real character! I'm excited to see that she is part of your monthly challenge.

She was a stray picked up by animal control in Kentucky. I adopted her and she made the trek to NY. She is a wonderful little soul with lots of personality--looking forward to seeing everyone's attempt.

BethAnn:clap:

artbyjune
05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi Mony and Brian...looking forward to seeing your artwork!!:clap:

Hi Bethann, I love your photo of Penelope. She looks like a GREAT dog!! WE are very pleased to have her here in the photo paint along. :thumbsup:

I for one am doing her portrait...I've started the grisaille study..so it will hopefully be an oil portrait when its done!:wave:

eyepaint
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Here's Penelope!! I LOVE her ears!!
Sennelier OP on 9x12" watercolour paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/96240-IMGP3501.jpg

Cheers,

eyepaint
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Here's a pair of ink + watercolour paintings I made of Penelope and of the two people at the beach.

Both are 6x9" on watercolour paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/96240-IMGP3494.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/96240-IMGP3496.jpg

Cheers,

artbyjune
05-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi eyepaint. Those ears in the OP of Penelope are fabulous. I think they make her look rather fetching and feminine.

Your watercolours with ink are beautiful....I love the light touch you have in them!!

eyepaint
05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
June - thank you. I decided Penelope needed a darker nose and darker eyes. Here's an update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/96240-IMGP3509.jpg

Cheers,

artbyjune
05-07-2008, 09:37 PM
She has a great character. Love her new nose and dark eyes.

Helenty
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Would like to try one of the photos as well, they all look challenging.Helen

artbyjune
05-08-2008, 01:54 PM
We are glad to have you on board Helen. Looking forward to seeing your work.

ARTMUTT
05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
eyepaint--you have really captured Penelope's personality!!

Curt57
05-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I just wanted to share with everyone what has developed in my chosen project so far. I chose the "looking out to sea" photo as a reference.

When I use a reference photo, my creative process usually starts with the photo itself. I am fortunate to have photoshop which helps with this part greatly.

When I began studying this photo I began to think of ways that I would present it differently so that I could call my painting truely my own.

First, I decided to get closer to the two young ladies by cropping the photo allowing me to "get more into their world".

Next, I decided to use "the rule of thirds" in this piece by moving my subjects out of the center and placing them in the left third (in this case it is actually the left half) of the picture.

There are alot of blues in this piece and mid-tone browns in middle and foreground, so I have decided to use the complementary colors of reds and yellows, etc., in the girls clothing.

I have included the cropped picture of this scene so that you can all see what I have in mind.

Anyone can feel free to utilize these ideas if it will help them.

Happy artwork!

artbyjune
05-09-2008, 01:59 AM
I think it looks good cropped like this...focussing attention on the young women. Looking forward to the painting.

Selahs art
05-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Just browsing along I found this...
Those are 2 refs I have been wanting to paint,
so maybe Ill start by joining and painting the looking out to sea one.

Good ones so far.

Retha

Mohan
05-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi. Count me in. Looking forward to do the hound and maybe the 2 girls at the sea too.

artbyjune
05-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Here's a watercolour version of Penelope. I added legs.:) This one is 11 by 15 ins. I still hope to do a version in oils but it may take a while..:wink2:

shunter
05-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Here is my 16 x 20 Acrylic interpretation of "Looking Out to Sea".
C & Cs welcome!

Steve

artbyjune
05-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Welcome perel and mohan. Looking forward to your art work.

Hi Steve. Your painting is full of sunshine. :clap: :clap: A very inviting beach scene. Looks like those girls are enjoying the beach...and what are they looking at? Great textures in your clouds. I love the mix of colours in your sand. :thumbsup:

artbyjune
05-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Here's where I am with my oil painting of Penelope. I don't use oils much. I think I'll leave this one at this stage...for now, anyway!! I used mainly cadmium orange so she's a 'hot' dog!!!:lol:

She is a great dog to paint. Thanks for the photo Artmutt!!:thumbsup:

George Servais
05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
This was such apleasure to do since I love Basset hounds. I have a black and tan female named princess Leia. I only wish I could get that blockhead to pose for me. As soon as she sees a camera she runs and hides.:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2008/136270-Penelope.JPG

artbyjune
05-16-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi George I love you artwork. :thumbsup: You've given Penelope such a thoughtful expression.:clap: :clap:

Bassetts seem to be terrific personalities! :wave:

Mony G
05-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi this is my version of Penelope the basset-Hound ... a soft pastel draing on grey cardboard ... you people have made a great job out of her !http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2008/77963-File0937.jpgdd.jpg

my blog : http://360.yahoo.com/rgosparini
my profile : http://www.equilibriarte.org/eqmember/3886
http://www.artifolio.com/artist/monyg/

artbyjune
05-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I love the look of Penelope in soft pastels.:thumbsup: Suits her very much. :clap: Its wonderful to see all the variations!!:wave:

ARTMUTT
05-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Ohhhh I really love all the portraits of Penelope--she is a sweetie and these portraits really do her justice!! Wonderful work everyone!!

aprajita
05-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Hey...
Brilliant pictures, believe me its a tough choice to make. But I think I'll start with Rochdale canal.
-Aprajita

artbyjune
05-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Glad to have you on board, Aprajita. Looking forward to your view of Rochdale canal.

AnneSage
05-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Time to jump in and get my feet wet :) I've done a rapid, preliminary acrylic sketch of the canal scene, using the paint laid on both thin and thick, and being fairly expressive. So here it is, and I hope to develop it into a bigger painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2008/139129-wc_canal_rough_400.jpg

artbyjune
05-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi Anne, and welcome, your painting is looking good. A lovely initial sketch. I like the laburnum on the right and I am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

AnneSage
05-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks June :) I am telling myself to paint something every day and try and complete at least one mini prelim every day, rather than obsessing too much in front of one unfinished piece. So I don't think this will change much, the laburnum was totally spontaneous and I'm not sure I could repeat it, lol! Still trying to work out how to deal with the sky.

Thanks again for the welcome. This is a huge site isn't it - I think I will pop up all over the place for a little while, but I do like this thread - it seems a good place to try out different techniques :)

azulparsnip
05-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Eyepaint - great job on the pooch - I like the depth you achieved on the nose bridge
The watercolors are nice and loose
June - your waterclor Penelope looks velvety and staid, the acrylic has great dimension the way you have the light side and side away from the light is subtile and effective
Steve - the clouds and sea looks very real
George - that basset is great, the nose even looks wet
Mony - good to see your work, I love your choice of colors and the way the light runs over the forms
Anne - youre off to a great start, I like to do prelims too....they get me excited and involved

eyepaint
05-18-2008, 10:35 AM
June - thank you. Awww you added the legs (wc version) - good job! Your oil version just vibrates with energy (even though she looks a little sleepy)
ARTMUTT - thank you :) Let me know if you need some dog sitting services...
Curt - good crop - looking forward to your piece
Steve - great job on that water. And see how your experience with the Renoir helped with painting the hand and forearm in this piece? :)
George - your version makes Penelope look like a wise old sage :)
Mony - your doggie looks quizzical :)
AnneSage - welcome! nice expressive work.
Azul - thank you :)

Cheers,

servicedog
05-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I am going to give this a go. NOT SURE WHICH ONE YET i MAY DO ALL THREE AND SEE WHICH ONE i LIKE BEST Thanks for the challenge FIONA

artbyjune
05-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome Fiona. Looking forward to seeing which photo you pick.

servicedog
05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
how do I upload a photo of my painting ? I have never done this before Fiona

Nickel
05-19-2008, 12:58 PM
how do I upload a photo of my painting ? I have never done this before Fiona

Fiona, Thanks for asking :) Here's a link to a how-to-upload a photo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297697

I can't wait to see your painting! :thumbsup: :wave: Nickel

servicedog
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
:wave: i am going to try this with looking out to sea Fiona

servicedog
05-19-2008, 01:11 PM
How do I know that the picture has uploaded ? I don't see it Fiona

Nickel
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
How do I know that the picture has uploaded ? I don't see it Fiona

Sorry Fiona, Nope, I don't see it either. Which way are you trying to upload your image? Let me know I'll try to help you. :wave:

One way to do it is in the second blue bar across the top of the page, next to the button that says "log out" you will see "quick links" click on that and select the last tab called "image uploader" a new window opens and you can browse your computer and select the image you want to upload here.

Another way is to just click on the little button in the "go advance" post reply down at the bottom of the page, there is an image with a mountain range with the little square block, scroll over it and it will say "insert image" click it and it will also open a new window for you to search your computer files to add your image.

servicedog
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
i can not get my photo uploaded. will try again tomorrow fiona

artbyjune
05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Sorry you haven't managed to upload your photo yet Fiona.

(Thanks for helping out, Nickel.)

Fiona, have you tried to click on the 'post reply' button at the bottom of the thread and down on the left? Do not use the quick reply box at the moment.

If you click on the 'post reply' button on the bottom left of the thread, it will open out into the advanced option. Below the open box for your reply, there's 'additional options'. Scroll down and it says 'attach files' and manage attachments. Click on 'manage attachments' and it will give you a pop-up box to browse for the photo file on your computer.

I hope either Nickel's or my info helps you.:wave:

Sheary
05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I came across this project and loved the hound dog. Since I give art lessons, we decided to give this one a try with the kids color pencil set (basic set of 12 by Crayolla) Then we wanted the hounds eyes to show better and we found a companion picture in the Refence library. Here is my version of the lesson done with the Crayolla pencils. And the kids enjoyed it too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2008/135098-Houndog72.jpg

azulparsnip
05-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Sheary - got that sad hound dog look goin' on - I bet the kids stuff is great too.

Here's my start on the seascape. I'm doing it with the underlayer of gesso like we did in the pre Raphaelites study. Got the skin a little dark - maybe it'll scrape out - we'll see

artbyjune
05-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Sheary, you did great with the bassett hound eyes. I saw that photo in the RIL as well as a couple of others of bassetts. So if anyone wants to do another bassett portrait or a series on bassetts...search the ref image library under dogs.

Good start, azul. I have used the white underpainting method recently for some illustrations. Looking forward to seeing the final.

Malkuth
05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
:wave: Hi everyone,
I was just passing by and saw your challenge, I just couldn't resist. I hope you don't mind me jumping in.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2008/48963-lookingouttosea.jpg

ARTMUTT
05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Sheary, you did great with the bassett hound eyes. I saw that photo in the RIL as well as a couple of others of bassetts. So if anyone wants to do another bassett portrait or a series on bassetts...search the ref image library under dogs.

Good start, azul. I have used the white underpainting method recently for some illustrations. Looking forward to seeing the final.

Let me know if you want a particular pose of a basset--I can try to get Penelope to sit still for a few minutes and snap some shots!

servicedog
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you every one for your help. Nickel I am working with a windows program and I get to upload the image and click on it. It goes through the motions of uploading but the picture never appears. I will try the other way and see if that works. Again thanks everyone I hope this works today Fiona

servicedog
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I tried with the manage attatchments thing and it seems that my file is too big. I scaled it down to 800x600 and then when tp 75% of that 92 dpi I think but says the file is still to large. Any help would be greatly appreciated Fiona

Nickel
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
down to 800x600 and then when tp 75% of that 92 dpi I think but says the file is still to large. Any help would be greatly appreciated Fiona

Hi Fiona, get that image down to less than 500 wide and 600 tall and it will work. Make sure it's a gif or jpeg. Wishing you luck! :wave:

Malkuth
05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I loved looking at everyones version of Penelope, so I thought I would have a go as well. She is adorable after all!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2008/48963-houndog.jpg

servicedog
05-20-2008, 04:35 PM
:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2008/120953-img010-1.jpg believe it or not this is from Fiona., The quality is definately compromised by making it so small Fiona

artbyjune
05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi Fiona, I'm glad you managed to get your photo to upload. Your girls are beautiful. So fresh. I love the shadows on the sand.:clap:

Hi Malkuth, your version of Penelope is marvellous. what a cute expression!! I love your girl too...looking out to sea. The foam at the water's edge is so well done!:thumbsup:

Hi artmutt, I for one would LOVE some more Penelope poses. Especially a profile... and one with her legs. I'm sure others would love to do more too. The project runs for another month. Why don't you paint one of Penelope too??:wink2:

See you all later,:wave:

ARTMUTT
05-22-2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2008/73951-73951-Penelope_.jpg

I did this portrait of Penelope a few weeks ago.
I will go through my many photos of her and be sure to post more--I know I have some profiles and I will see if I have any that show her feet.

artbyjune
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
:clap: :thumbsup: Beautiful portrait!! Penelope will be developing a 'star' complex.:wink2:

newartistjo22
05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I am new and having a hard time posting my work but if I have 2 months to do this I am sure i will figure it out, I think I will try the bridge. Thanks this sounds fun.

Jodi

newartistjo22
05-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I just sent a reply, don't know where it went, I am new at this I would like to paint the bridge if I can get this right. This sounds like fun, I may need help when I am done, I can't seem to get my work posted anywhere.

Thanks

Jodi

newartistjo22:confused:

Sheary
05-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Artmutt - Your painting of the Penelope profile is great. I appreciate a great looking dog and she is one. Would like to see the other poses for my art class lessons for dogs.

artbyjune
05-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome Jodi. We would really like to see your work...Have you tried clicking on the Post Reply (blue button) at the bottom of the thread? It will open you onto the advanced reply box. Scrolll down and find attach files. Click on manage attachments. This will open a new window where you can browse your computer files for your art and upload it. I think the size restrictions are given there. To keep in the limits, I always resize my photos to under 500 pixels on either side.

Hope this helps you:thumbsup:

azulparsnip
05-23-2008, 02:40 PM
here is my finished oceanscape.

The last couple of things I've worked on I've not quite got enough darks in - what do you think about this one?

artbyjune
05-24-2008, 12:31 AM
I love the girls dresses..they feel as if they are being blown about in the breeze. I think the shadows on the dresses don't need to be very dark as the dresses are white. The purple tones are beautiful here. Sometimes i add a touch of a pale yellow to the light areas of a white to make the white warm, e.g., Naples yellow...a new colour I acquired which I am now adding everywhere. The hair is dark enough I think. Maybe a little darker tones for the sand area nearest the viewer is all I could suggest. I struggle with putting in darks too. I remember one artist posted somewhere...saying she felt like a scaredy-cat and afraid of the darks. I thought it was amusing.:)

I like your painting very much...all the movement and breeziness is brilliant!:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Helenty
05-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi I'm new to this forum and am having a go at the looking out to sea in Heat Set Oils and am very impressed with the artwork so far.Just found this forum as i was looking for projects of interest.

artbyjune
05-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the classical forum, Helenty. I'm looking forward to seeing your painting done with heat set oils. I've never tried those.

Selahs art
05-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Malkuth

Good work on both,

Azulparsnip

nice work.

I'm so glad this is for June too, oils takes longer to dry and I have been busy
hoping to start mine on looking out to sea soon.

Retha

artbyjune
05-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Looking forward to seeing your work, perel.

tyree
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2008/65063-classical_girls.jpg :wave: i am not a painter as you can see, but i gave it a try...gouache on acrylic paper...tyree

tyree
05-25-2008, 10:19 PM
azul...that is simply fabulous...:eek: tyree:heart:

artbyjune
05-26-2008, 03:02 AM
Hi Tyree. A beautiful bold colorful painting. Gouache is really good for bold painting. I love the relationship between the 2 girls!!:thumbsup:

tyree
05-27-2008, 03:38 PM
thank you june....!!! tyree:)

azulparsnip
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Tyree - thanks. Your gouache is brilliant and blustery- the way you shaped the upper sky ties the whole thing together. The purple dots are just what the spray and salt air feels like.

tyree
05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
thank you azul,,,i put this work on a card,,for my sisterinlaws birthday,hope she likes it....tyree:o

Kryan
05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Everyone is doing so well with their paintings that I am being put to shame. My nose will be truly at the grindstone to make sure the time does not slip by me. I hope to have something to post in the next week or two.

Selahs art
06-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Just to show you I've started with looking out to sea.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2008/94287-0806070005_start.JPG

Retha:wave:

artbyjune
06-08-2008, 01:48 AM
How wonderful Retha. I love that sunset as it gives their gaze a focus. Sea looks so good!!

Don't worry about the time factor Kathleen. The official project runs until the end of the month. And you can post after this time too!

Helenty
06-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi ,well i have done the looking out to seapainting inGenesis heat set oils on canvas 12x14 .I had fun doing this as it is the first time i have done people.
Helenhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2008/102668-P1010003.JPG

artbyjune
06-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Helen, your painting is beautiful! The girls hair and dresses are very well done. A real feeling of summer at the beach.:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Selahs art
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Helen
Love your painting.

Artbyjune
Thanks the week was just busy and its nearly completed with a fishers boat on horizon will post soon.

Retha

Helenty
06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks June and Retha appreciate the feedback.Helen

azulparsnip
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Helen - that is a strong painting - the horizon drew me in and the sand & shadow pulled me back out into the undertow!!!!! The dresses are lillting lovely. nice

Selahs art
06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
This is how far I am now still have to work on the rocks and slightly on the girls.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2008/94287-0806130008.JPG

Retha:wave:

artbyjune
06-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Beautiful painting, Retha. It tells a different story. I like the boat coming in...and the girls anxiously waiting.

artbyjune
06-14-2008, 06:36 AM
There are new photos of Penelope in the ref lib by artmutt...if you want to do another view of her...profiles, seated etc.

Helenty
06-14-2008, 09:54 PM
wow i like your version,it tells a story and has drama thruout the painting, lovely work Retha

Selahs art
06-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Artbyjune

Thanks to me it must tell a story.

Helenty

thanks so much.

Retha

azulparsnip
06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Retha - what a great idea- enlarging the context like that. It make for a errie feel.

Selahs art
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
azulparsnip

thanks.
They are waiting for their Dad etc. who is fishermen, and a slight storm is brewing like it does here, suddenly

Retha

Helenty
06-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Thank you Azulparsnip for the lovely comment.
Helen

Kryan
06-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I have been so impressed by the pictures so far. I love to see the same picture done in so many different ways. I goes to show how original an identical image can be when done by different people. I am attaching my painting to this post. Please bear with me if I don't manage it first time around.

Kathleen

Kryan
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I have managed to resize my picture and have it accepted, but I don't know quite where to go from there.

Kryan
06-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow! It worked! The photo is not as clear as I would like it to be, but I will keep practicing.

Nickel
06-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Kryan, I love your painting! The shadow is great and I love the sense of wind moving the young ladies hair. :) Nickel

Kryan
06-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Thank you so much, Nickel. All comments are greatly appreciated as other people often see things we miss ourselves. I want to learn all I can. I really enjoyed this project, it was a lot of fun.

Dana Design
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Better late than never!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2008/29065-Where-are-the-Boats-1-800.jpg

artbyjune
07-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi Kathleen. I love the addition of the boat and gull. I agree with nickel that your shadows are terrific in colour.

Hi Dana, glad you made it. Beautiful painting. The colours of the sand and sea are wonderful. I like the little child with her arm up to peer out to sea.

Well done to everyone who took part. It is so interesting to see how we each interpret the same image.

Dana Design
07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks, June. Believe it or not, this painting sold online and the person who bought it lives in Rejkjavik, Iceland!

artbyjune
07-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Congratulations, Dana. That's brilliant news!!!

Dana Design
07-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks! But it cost a bloody fortune to ship. Good news, bad news, eh?

artbyjune
07-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Oh...did you not include posting/shipping in your price? Posting abroad is costly, especially if you include 'to be signed-for' in the shipping.

Dana Design
07-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I did include it but not nearly enough! Live and learn! From now on, I get a close estimate on shipping costs, apprise the buyer and ask if they still want to purchase it.

Nickel
07-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Dana, your painting has a beautiful, warm, atmosphere! Love the skin tones!
It's great to have you join in! :) Nickel

Dana Design
07-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Nickel. Since I've been painting in a (sort-of) classical style for some time now, I thought I'd poke my head in and see if I could learn something here! Good to be here.