PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a oil pastel sketchbox?

rorschah
05-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Let's say I like to go on long walks, and hikes. I want to carry some oil pastels with me - a little kit, maybe 15-30, of different brands. Is there some way y'all can think to carry them easily?

Most of the storage things I've seen are either too large and heavy, or are too loose, especially for a long hike.

I'm willing to attack Home Depot and glue stuff, but I'm not, you know, a carpenter or anything.

-thi

ZanBarrage
05-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi Thi,

It depends on how neat you want your method to be. I have taken them out in a flat tupperware filled with rice and with the OPs loose in the rice. You could make it much more elaborate of course. Another idea is your local walmart plastic tackle box. The possibilities are endless.

Pat Isaac
05-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Welcome, rorschah, I am moving your thread to the talk forum as I think you will get more response.
Initially I had a plastic file box from the supermarket and in it were small plastic containers of my OPs according to color. Worked for awhile, but then it was such a pain opening all the containers. I finally purchased a wooden box that had no dividers, but foam linings and now use that. Just great, lightweight, and all the OPs are there for the using. It is a Mary Cassat box.

Pat

lisasb
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
For plein air I put a set of OPs in some cardboard pastel boxes I picked up at Dakota Pastels (link below); I use the smaller 24-slot box, which comes with foam inserts, and I break the pastels in half so I can bring twice as many.

So far no problems with it, they're nice and lightweight, though the boxes will get a little wrinkly if you get them wet (just cosmetic). The price is right, and they fit easily into a smallish backpack.

Here's the link: http://www.dakotapastels.com/boxes.shtml.

Lisa.

starblue
05-01-2008, 06:45 PM
You should be able to put that many OP sticks into a kid's pencil case, with a piece of foam to pad the empty space between them and the lid to hold them in place while you walk. (I have a big pencil case filled with pens and pencils, and I just use wadded-up newspaper for padding, which works great and keeps things from shifting. For only OP sticks, you'll need something that can lay across all of them so they won't roll around. A wadded-up towel or a piece of cardboard cut to shape could work too.)