PDA

View Full Version : May 2008 Oil Pastel Challege

wildart129
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the May 2008 Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge

Here are the two photos for this month for you to paint. You can do both of them or one of them, crop them, use diffrent colors, paint them in any way you choose. I won't be able to paint my own pictures this month because I already have so much to do this month, including a huge commission. I have provided larger images in the RIL for you, so you can see more detail and you can crop them easier. I can't wait to see some great work.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2008/101334-Old_Barn.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2008/101334-little_spotted_eggs.jpg
The Barn
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=83979&cat=500&ppuser=101334
Nest of Eggs
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79752&cat=500&ppuser=101334
Have Fun:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
05-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks so much for hosting this month, Elizabeth and good luck with your commission.
I will stickie this.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Elizabeth..Thanks for two great images. I hope to try both, but definitely want to do the old barn. I love old buildings; they have such individual characters, just like people!

Good luck with your commissions and thanks for taking the time to host with your busy schedule!

truck driver
05-01-2008, 10:33 AM
i will do both at leasr once :) thanks for posting i've been looking forward to this post for a week.

rg

tracity
05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi, I'm new here...it's been a long time since I've used OP, but I do love them. The nest & eggs really caught my eye...I may try my 1st challenge!

wildart129
05-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments on the photos, I hope you enjoy them. Welcome to the op forum tracity, can't wait to see some of your work. :) :clap:

Pat Isaac
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Welcome, tracity...:wave: Have fun with the challenge.

Pat

truck driver
05-02-2008, 09:05 PM
First quick take on the red barn. 15 x 11 130 lb paper, (usual sketchbook paper) CrayPas Expressionists, with one minor exception. The black is Watercolor Pencil because my black is missing in action.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2008/136518-red_barn.jpg
RG

Pat Isaac
05-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Nice quick take on the barn, RG. You ight consider darkening the interior to give it more depth. The texture on the outside looks good.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Yikes, RG. Quick draw McGraw! Pretty good for a quick take. IMHO brightening the small amount of background trees visible through the open back barn door would help make barn interior seem darker and differentiate them in value from the trees in the front which seem to be the same value.

Good take on it though

Scarefishcrow
05-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi, I'm new here...it's been a long time since I've used OP, but I do love them. The nest & eggs really caught my eye...I may try my 1st challenge!

Wow. Nice to have you join us tracity! Look forward to seeing your work; plenty of "learners" around and lots of great folks with experience to provide suggestions!

Bill

Bars
05-04-2008, 04:31 AM
I have been studying the picture of the eggs, and wonder how do you use oil pastels on such delicate work? I don't know where to start .Help

truck driver
05-04-2008, 05:31 AM
bill, i think you are right. the interio of te barn is sepia which without a black is the darkest i have. a lighter cool green might make a huge difference.
rg

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2008, 12:47 AM
I really think so, RG. In fact when I looked at the ri, what struck me right away was the sense of being able to see some slight details of the interior of the barn by reflected light and the contrast with the brighter lights showing through the open door and openning into the hay loft. I really liked the small slits of light comming between the gaps between the boards at the back of the barn. To me, just my take, of course, that is what attracted me to the picture. The contrast of the dim interior with the bright sunlit sky and trees showing through various places in the back wall of the barn! Reminded me just a tad of my grandad's old rickety wooden barn we played in as kids and it was always light filtering in from the gaps that developed between the boards that provided the dim shafts of dusty light inside the barn (so we could see the creepy spiders and terrified me!!!!)

Bill

eyepaint
05-05-2008, 01:30 AM
I have been studying the picture of the eggs, and wonder how do you use oil pastels on such delicate work? I don't know where to start .Help

That picture calls me too and I have no idea how to start yet, either.

I might just do my non-realistic approach :)

Cheers,

Bars
05-05-2008, 04:33 AM
E.PI'm glad I'm not the only one. Can't wait to see what your non-realistic approach is.

wildart129
05-05-2008, 08:49 AM
RG, your rendering of the barn was quick and very nicely done.:thumbsup::clap:

As far as the nest goes, I think that a loose interpretation is the way to go.

truck driver
05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
RG, your rendering of the barn was quick and very nicely done.:thumbsup::clap:

As far as the nest goes, I think that a loose interpretation is the way to go.

i think i have an idea of how to do the nest. oops sorry cant tell you yet :).

rg

truck driver
05-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I really think so, RG. In fact when I looked at the ri, what struck me right away was the sense of being able to see some slight details of the interior of the barn by reflected light and the contrast with the brighter lights showing through the open door and openning into the hay loft. I really liked the small slits of light comming between the gaps between the boards at the back of the barn. To me, just my take, of course, that is what attracted me to the picture. The contrast of the dim interior with the bright sunlit sky and trees showing through various places in the back wall of the barn! Reminded me just a tad of my grandad's old rickety wooden barn we played in as kids and it was always light filtering in from the gaps that developed between the boards that provided the dim shafts of dusty light inside the barn (so we could see the creepy spiders and terrified me!!!!)

Bill

to me there are really two pieces to this one, the outside of the barn, and the dimly lit interior. as wll as the trees to cmplete the scene. the first take was mostly to make sure i could get the texture that thought i could on the outside of the barn., there is at least one more coming, i want to do a more accurate rendering of the trees, and get the holes with all the reflected light and deep shadows of the interior of the barn, what am playing with right now is getting the pealed paint look i might not use it when i do this one, again but its definately one i would like to have in my very small bag f tricks.

rg

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Absolutely, RG.

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM

That picture calls me too and I have no idea how to start yet, either.

I might just do my non-realistic approach :)

Cheers,

I also like the nest. I have an idea and wondered what you think of it. I don't see the eggs as a big problems, but the nest. I think I would protect the area where the eggs would be rendered last.

I see the eggs as the COI and think they should be rendered in (sorry EP) a bright, but lower value, lighter blue with their darker contrasting spots randomly scattered. I would do them at the very end.

Now, the nest is what daunts me. However, as I think about it, it is really nothing more than a series of relatively concentric, slightly crisscrossed strokes of varying hue and changing values as you move from near the eggs to the upper rim of the nest. The upper rim could be rendered with some larger, loose strokes for the bigger finishing straw at the top of the nest.

Now, the nest itself. How about (making sure to protect the egg area) select a variety of hues and values of OP and begin by laying down various roughly concentric, feathered strokes in a circular pattern around where the eggs would be. Don't worry about detail or changing the fineness of the strokes, but focus on feathering layers of proper value to give the sense of depth and concavity of the nest. When you feel you have the general feathered pattern of color and value right, the the "coop de grass"!

Use something like a needle, or even a very sharp, dark oil pencil or color pencil to "incise" fine lines by sgraffito (scratching) through the layers of feathered colors. Starting with finely spaced lines scraped back near the bottom of the nest and getting larger, longer, more bold interwoven scratches as you work up to the rim.

Use some bold strokes of diagonals across the corners to imply the large finishing straws and when happy with the nest, begin rendering the eggs with overlap and keeping crisp edges. Finish up with some darks lightly stroked into the bottom of the nest to simulate any shadow effect of the eggs as needed.

I'b be interested in what you think about this approach. Think it sounds reasonable???

Bill

Pat Isaac
05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Okay, Bill. I see you have lots of good ideas and they would be great for the nest and the whole painting. Sooooo....let's get to it... waiting...tap... tap... tap.....

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Okay, Bill. I see you have lots of good ideas and they would be great for the nest and the whole painting. Sooooo....let's get to it... waiting...tap... tap... tap.....

Pat

Pat...Are you suggesting displacement behavior? In moi??? I'm hurt.:crying: Deeply wounded.:crying: And also guilty as you know what!!!:o :o

Sounds like a good idea though, you gotta admit!
:music: :heart: :music:

starblue
05-05-2008, 08:19 PM

Pat
I must concur with Pat :angel: on this one; such an elaborate description of how you might do the painting, but where are the deeds to backup the words? Can you pull it off? :evil: Sooooo....let's get to it... waiting...tap... tap... tap..... (but with a different rhythm so we can get some syncopation going)! :lol:

I'm thinking about doing the barn, but I have 3 incomplete OP paintings in front of it, including Pat's still life, so I'm not committing to doing another project in this forum until I have Pat's done.

sundiver
05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Nice images, wildart. I haven't done one of these challenges in months, so busy, just download them and look at them wistfully from time to time, Sooo, I'll download these and who knows, maybe this is the month I'll have some time!

Looks great , RG!

dhony
05-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi all, my quick take on the nest, a very small sketch ,..I just put some colors here n there ..very difficult to draw detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2008/137382-egg3.JPG

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2008, 01:09 AM
I must concur with Pat :angel: on this one; such an elaborate description of how you might do the painting, but where are the deeds to backup the words? Can you pull it off? :evil: Sooooo....let's get to it... waiting...tap... tap... tap..... (but with a different rhythm so we can get some syncopation going)! :lol:

I'm thinking about doing the barn, but I have 3 incomplete OP paintings in front of it, including Pat's still life, so I'm not committing to doing another project in this forum until I have Pat's done.

:( :eek: :eek:
No fair. No fair.

Piling on!!! I'm gonna tell the teacher.........
Wait a minute, how do you tell the teacher when she started it? I'm busted!!!!

However, to partially redeem my dignity I have posted a WIP of a Winslow Homer Watercolor called Sailing the Catboat. And since this thread seems filled with EXTREMELY knowledgeable and ADVICE LADEN minions, I need help! I seem to either be interpreting the original wrong or Homer's perspective is off and I need you wise....sages to tell me which! So scoot on out to the Studio and look for WIP Homer's Catboat.....Okey Dokey????

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2008, 01:33 AM
BTW,
Pat and Bob....I assume that your contributions to the challenge are nearing completion and will be posted soon.

Tappity....Tappitty....Tappittty.... (engine needs a valve job).

:evil: :evil:
Bill

truck driver
05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
i dont know about how pat, and bob are doin but then i am only worried abut how i am doing, i started the nest with a black baby oil wash, avoiding the area of the eggs, with the intention of trying a very similar aproach to the one bill sugested while that was drying i did a charcoal value study of the interior of the barn; then proceeded to do an 8x10 line drawing of th barn and interior. so both are underway. please dont let me keep you from your work.

rg

Pat Isaac
05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Nice quick sketch of the eggs, dhony. I like the colors that you have and the eggs certainly look nestled in the nest.
What challenge??? :lol: working on boats....I did, however, download the barn which I may do at a later date. Love that weathered wood. Rg - sounds as if you are doing lots of work on this challenge..and working on the possibilities.

Pat

wildart129
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Great job on the nest of eggs dhony, nice loose interpretation. Come on oil pastelers lets see some more.:)

The nest was on the ground. Unfortunately the nest was raided by something after the baby birds were born, but I have picture of the babies. The barn was I don't know how old, but it was torn down because it was becoming unstable.

eyepaint
05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
RG - good job being first!
tracity - welcome!
Wildart - thanks for the update photo of the nest.
Bill - we're waiting for yours... tap tap tap! :)
dhony - nice spots on your eggs!

Cheers,

eyepaint
05-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Here is my take on the bird nest. 9x12" watercolour paper. Senneliers. Five colours.

I left off the spots on the eggs. Must be eggs from a different species (genus? phylum? High school biology was a long time ago...) of bird.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2008/96240-IMGP3486.jpg

Cheers,

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I get the distinct feeling that I am no longer considered a "noob" to be treated nicely so I will hang around. (I.e., it seems the honeymoon is over. I suppose my teensy weensy microscopic almost infintesmal tendency to very very, almost unnoticeable, sarcasm might have contributed to my downfall.

HOWEVER, LET IT NEVER BE SAID A SCAREFISHCROW CAN BE COWED BY INTIMIDATION. I WILL POST MY VERSION OF THE NEST ONLY WHEN I AM READY. :p

:rolleyes: It just happens that I'm ready now and the intimidation had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with the fact I did it today. :rolleyes:

Not done, but decided to let it age because the guy with the axe was starting to take practice swings.

9x12 Canson Watercolor Block, pics are
1. Watercolor initial layout over pencil sketch.
2. Current state of painting. I'm allowing it time to think about what it wants me to do to it next and when it decides (suggestions will be considered; it is an humble painting) and lets me know I will post the final results if the parinting is happy with the results.
Done mostly with Erengi, sharpened OPs. Then sgraffito using fingernail.

3. Pic of neat small work table by Daler Rowney that has ball/socket joint and rotates 360 as well as easily tilting in any direction. (actually, I will post some detail pics elsewhere and anyone with the meagerest skills with tools can probably figure out how to build their own rather than trick your spouse into buying one for $40. (Well, IT WAS $20 on sale when I saw it!)

Hopefully the slugs are moving fast enough for this post to make it!

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
The nest was on the ground. Unfortunately the nest was raided by something after the baby birds were born, but I have picture of the babies. The barn was I don't know how old, but it was torn down because it was becoming unstable.

For someone too busy to paint their own pictures you sure seem to have enough time to keep posting more. I can hear the vultures circling already!!:lol: :lol:

dhony--good job with the nest.
EP--I "spotted" the omission of the eggs markings. Same phylum, same Class (although some debate whether they are in their own or really just dinosaurs without teeth), other than that, can't tell, but nice glow to the eggs and, Good Lord, THEY AREN'T BLUE!! ARE YOU OK, EP??? :eek: :lol:

BILL

Bars
05-07-2008, 03:44 AM
:clap: Finally. I have only now been able to print the eggs out. So now I can get on with it. Thanks for the help Bill , you have got me started. My computer is so slow changing pages tonight, I might have finished this drawing while I am waiting :lol: Bars

wildart129
05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
For someone too busy to paint their own pictures you sure seem to have enough time to keep posting more. I can hear the vultures circling already!!:lol: :lol:

dhony--good job with the nest.
EP--I "spotted" the omission of the eggs markings. Same phylum, same Class (although some debate whether they are in their own or really just dinosaurs without teeth), other than that, can't tell, but nice glow to the eggs and, Good Lord, THEY AREN'T BLUE!! ARE YOU OK, EP??? :eek: :lol:

BILL

I have time to be on the computer, I just don't have the time or space to begin another painting. I don't want to start another painting until I've finished what I've started. I literally have paintings and drawings stacked up that need to be finished, its a bad habit. I might paint the barn in the future, right now there's no time for another painting.:)

Scarefishcrow
05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I have time to be on the computer, I just don't have the time or space to begin another painting. I don't want to start another painting until I've finished what I've started. I literally have paintings and drawings stacked up that need to be finished, its a bad habit. I might paint the barn in the future, right now there's no time for another painting.:)

WA--I wasn't really serious. I'm afraid I have an evil tendency toward sarcasm and usually things that seem outrageous most likely are to be taken as tongue-in-cheek. I was really making a premptive strike against Pat and Bob who have been giving me pokes for talk without action. I totally understand your position and :o am sorry if you thought I was serious. I always had to be so careful what I said in my 31 years "Professing" to students and since retiring I tend to be less likely to make the required "That was a joke" disclaimer often needed in the classroom! I may even try the tiny birds in the nest! (I was a zoologist, by the way). Thanks for hosting and keep on posting. This place has become a second home and extended family to me. :music: :heart: :music: :thumbsup:

Bars--I'm glad you found my babbling useful
(:p Pat and Bob). Sarcasm alert!!!
You are not alone and everyone will be experiencing slow response for a while as WC is in the process of making the final switchover to a much needed new system that promises to solve many of the problems we have been plagued by. So pass on the word for folks to be patient for a while, good things are worth a little frustration in the short term!

Bill

Pat Isaac
05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up in this forum about the system makeover, Bill.
EP - nice glowing eggs and good rendition of the photo. I, too say what no blue.. but then they would be robin's eggs.
Thanks for the cute chick pics wildart...sorry they were taken. I understand totally about your situation of getting paintings finished. I am in the same boat...get that Bill :lol: ...after June I will participate.
Bill, I really like your beginnings of this nest. I think you have captured the texture well and it is jus a great beginning.

Pat

gakinme
05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
RG, you are brave to tackle the barn with the trees.

EP, yeah, I was looking forward to deep blue eggs. :lol: Very nice glow around the eggs too.

dhony, you managed to make the spreckles come forward. :clap:

Bill, your nest is so colorful and it has depth.

Mine is a mess.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/86669-op_eggs.JPG

Scarefishcrow
05-08-2008, 12:57 AM
RG, you are brave to tackle the barn with the trees.

EP, yeah, I was looking forward to deep blue eggs. :lol: Very nice glow around the eggs too.

dhony, you managed to make the spreckles come forward. :clap:

Bill, your nest is so colorful and it has depth.

Mine is a mess.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2008/86669-op_eggs.JPG

Sandra--It is not a mess! You are too hard on yourself. The eggs are well done (not cooked, but painted) and your nest has depth, too. In fact that is what I think is weak in my rendition. Your colors are bright and lively and the larger straw at the top around the edges is well done and distinct from the smaller straw deeper in the nest. I think your painting is good. Look for the good in your work, don't dwell on the negative!!

Bill

truck driver
05-08-2008, 01:46 AM
well spoken bill, though onc again i really like the direction your nest is headed, i had hoped to find some time today sitting still to finish mine, but it didnt happen' so it will tommorrow even if i have to do it while student is driving. usually not a problem but this one is kind of intricate.
rg

Bars
05-08-2008, 03:46 AM
It's no good, even with your help Bill, I just can't relate to to nest at all. Think I will give this one a miss. Woefully yours Bars

paul444
05-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Hello everyone,

RG - Great take on the barn, first one up too. Well done.

dhony - Well done on the nest, all that straw looks hard to do.

E.P. - Great nest, not your usual colour scheme at all.

Bill - Great eggs and you have achieved a good sense of depth to the nest. Well done.

Sandra - This is not a mess at all. You have zeroed in on the nest which by its very nature is very haphazard. You have also achieved a sense of depth to the nest and rendered the eggs very well.
Well done.

paul444
05-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Well here is my attempt at the barn.
Its 9 X 12 on Ingres pastel paper using mostly Sennelier oil pastels.

C & C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2008/82968-the_barn.jpg

Scarefishcrow
05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
It's no good, even with your help Bill, I just can't relate to to nest at all. Think I will give this one a miss. Woefully yours Bars

Bars--Don't worry about it. I'm still waiting for my nest to tell me how to finish it!! It is a tough one and if it's not fun to work on then you need to find something that is. I know I went through a period recently when I just could not find the motivation to do anything!! It happens and I'm learning that you just have to shrug and move on! As Scarlet O'Hara said "I can't think of that today! I'll think about it tomorrow!"

Paul--Awesome Barn. Have missed seeing you around lately. Hope to see your work more often, I can always learn something from looking at your approach to things.

Well....Since my nest painting is giving me the cold shoulder and won't tell me what I need to do to finish it, I decided to make it jealous by turning my attention to another painting and perhaps motivate it to communicate with me! Ergo, I submit for your C&C (probably needs more C than C! since I did it fairly quickly today). The Barn...9x12, Strathmore 140lb. Watercolor Block, sketch underpainted with Caran d'Ache Neoart watersoluble Wax Pastels. Final layering done with Erengi ArtAspirers. I am including the entire painting, followed by details of each quadrant:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2008/108067-SMBARN.gif

Bars
05-09-2008, 04:22 AM
:cat: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2008/119075-frog20.jpg Well Bill I don't know what happened but you r comments sort of liberated me and here it is. Still not happy with it.

paul444
05-09-2008, 05:59 AM
double post.

paul444
05-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Bill, thank you. I have just come out of a creative slump myself. Hopefully now my creative batteries are recharged I can paint more often.

Well done on the barn, great effort.

Just two small points,
I think you should push your darks darker. This will add more depth to your painting.
Try to vary the height of the grass across the bottom. This will add more interest and stop the painting being broken into sections.

Bars - A great nest with good solid eggs. Well done.

AngelaF
05-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Nice to see all the lovely interpretations of these wonderful reference photos -- it is always amazing to see how varied the art is in these challenges.

RG - lovely interpretation of the barn, despite suggestions, I see leaps and bounds in your work. You also really accomplished some good texture in the weathered wood.

dhony - lovely colors - feels like spring, you really did well with the speckles and shine on the eggs. As far as detail in OP work goes, have you read some of the suggestions in the liabrary? Have you thought about trying colored pencils and scraping back/pushing around tools?

EP - lovely -- the colors are uniquely you, but much more subdued.

Sandra - This really fits on the page well -- you did a good composition, the shape of the nest and the fit on the page really attract the eye into the nest. I like your colors and the way you achieved texture in the straw. This certainly is not a mess!

Bill - upon looking at your to-date renderings of the nest, I am struck by the nice watercolor quality -- Homer must really be influencing you -- it reminds me of his colors. I really like that table -- where did you get it -- if you have already said, sorry I missed that. Your rendition of the barn really shows a growth in by leaps and bounds I think also in your rendereing and confidence.

Paul - Beautiful rendering of the barn -- the faded white paint is so well done and really makes the composition interesting with the other colors you have used. The depth of the inside with the outside beyond is very well rendered. The foreground trees are not as detailed as the rest of the work, but I am wondering if you did not do that on purpose in order to draw attention to the barn.

Bars -- glad you posted -- bright spring like colors, also. Nice job. I think a close up like Sandra did would really make it dynamic.

Nice work everyone!!!! And the month is still young! Angela

Scarefishcrow
05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
:cat: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2008/119075-frog20.jpg Well Bill I don't know what happened but you r comments sort of liberated me and here it is. Still not happy with it.

Bars--That is on of the kindest and most generous compliments that anyone has ever paid me. I sometimes think people probably rolleyes when I start getting philosophical, almost sappy, but after my recent retirment and lurking around here months and finally timidly posting I fell in love with this place and the people, like you, and have made more FRIENDS than I could ever imagine. Art is often a love/hate affair with wanting so desperately to do it and well, but fearing to try lest we fail. I KNOW because I have spent much of my life living such vicious cycles, yes including the serious bouts with depression, most having nothing to do with art. After I finally posted here and realized that everyone, even people painting for years and professionally need advice and are plagued by self doubt it was almost like a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. I find that the more I post things I think are horrible as well as those I think I did ok on the more confidence I tend to get. (And I can use all the confidence I can muster, basically starting out at 57 after a few years of reading but not doing).

Even though Paul was generous in his praise and offered good suggestions, I know that my barn has many problems and Paul could make many more suggestions for improvement. That isn't really the point, though. I look at my nest and barn and can honestly say that I could not have done that in February when I first started posting (LESS THAN 3 months ago). What I have learned, and wrestle everyday with just as you and, IMHO, every artist that really cares about their work, is that you will NEVER reach a point where you can't do something better! If you do, then you have learned more than any artist in history and what joy could possibly be found in doing something you have COMPLETELY MASTERED and no longer feel that rush of pride and sense of accomplishment when you look at something you have done and say, "Hey, I sorta' screwed up that part, but you know, I like what I've done."

You keep telling yourself that it is not the mistakes you may make that are important, but seeing what you have learned to do better than before! Most of us focus on the negative and that saps the energy we can absorb by focusing on what we did well. This is true if you are a rank beginner or accomplished professional, IMHO.

My unofficial motto has become: "IF YOU AREN'T MAKING MISTAKES, THEN YOU AREN'T PAINTING!"

Watercolorists, because of the peculiar nature of the difficulty in controlling their medium, have long realized that many great paintings are "fortuitous accidents". As Joe Garcia said in a book on watercolor washes, that is what most of his paintings are. He just doesn't tell the buyer what parts are the accidents!!!!

I'm really glad you tried, BARS, and I think you did well. Can you do better. Well, of course, but you never will do better unless you try! Always remember, the Challenges are a bit different because someone else, NOT YOU, chooses the subject. THAT IS WHAT MAKES IT A CHALLENGE! Forcing you to choose to try something that you ordinarily wouldn't.

I did a Landscape Class not too long ago, and even Pat (:angel: :angel:) did it along with the others. She kept complaining because she was "...so out of her comfort zone...." No one likes comfort more than I, but if we simply always stay in our comfort zone then eventually we get bored and stale. I applaud your courage in pushing your envelope. I think you did well!

Paul, you are more than generous and I am glad you are back with us. I so love to visit your homeland and find the people so generous. On my last trip to London (when they bombed the tubes) I met a 105 year old vetran that was the last surviving vet of BOTH WWI and WWII at a ceremony at the Cenotaph. He let me take his picture and not long ago on the news I caught part of a story that apparently was about him, since he was being honored (age 107) as the last survivor of both. What a small world it is. Thank you for the advice.

ANGELA--You gave me my first Challenge, Remember!! I got the table at Blick's store in Chicago. I took a number of photos of the details and they would be easy to make if you have some woodworking skills. I will post the photos and details in the GUSHER in a day or two, if that is ok. It really is a cool device and could easily be modified for larger works, use with light box, etc. Top rotates freely at any angle the ball and socket joint is set. makes it a breeze to work at various angles and would be great for the detailed work you do with animal portraits. Keep an eye on the Gushere and I will try to post the images there along wth details. OK?

UH OH..:eek: :eek: BABBLE ALARM JUST WENT OFF. TIME TO STOP.
BEST WISHES TO ALL.

gakinme
05-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Thank you, Paul, Bill, AngelaF.

Paul, your barn looks so good! The colors look so natural! Now you make this image to draw but...then...I'd probably want to avoid the tree...I'm not good with trees.

Bill, thank you for showing the details of the barn. So that's how we get the depth going. That purple especially!

Bars, your second one looks more detailed already.

Pat Isaac
05-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Yikes, I can't believe how much I missed here. No emails doesn't help. Anyway, I think you did a great job with the eggs, Sandra. Nice bright color and the eggs are nestled just right in the nest.
Paul, I like your handling of the barn , nice depth and texture.
Bill, good energy in your barn, and I like your Van Gogh like strokes.
Good for you Bars, the eggs are great and the straw texture is nicely done.

Pat

Antaluth
05-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at oil pastel. I've been lurking awhile-trying to absorb as much as I can. I saw the pics for this months' challenge and thought I'd give the nest a try. About halfway I was ready to throw the thing through the window. I restrained myself (much muttering and foul language):evil: and here it is. C & C would be greatly appreciated; I have much to learn.
9x9in watercolor paper with basic set of Holbeins. Burnt umber watercolor underpainting. Thanks for looking.:) This is also my first try at taking a picture of my artwork, so excuse the quality please. Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2008/115627-DSCF0182.JPG

gakinme
05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
It looks like the maintenance took yesterday's postings out. Here was my post yesterday.

Cray Pas student grade OP and Strathmore pastel paper beige

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2008/86669-op_barn1_a.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2008/86669-op_barn2_a.JPG

Pat Isaac
05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I like the barns, Sandra and thanks for posting again. I was going to put them in as I still had your reply on my computer.
Great colors in the daytime barn, but I think the interior could be darker to give more depth. I really like the night time take. Very mysterious.

Pat

gakinme
05-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Pat, thank you. How do I make the interior darker without using black? Or should I go ahead and try black?

paul444
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Looks like my post from earlier is gone too.
Anyway, welcome to the forum Mary, a great nest and eggs, try to put some darks into your painting it will add depth. :thumbsup:
Sandra, two great barns, the night time painting is a good idea.
to get the interior darker and to add interest use dark purples, browns, dark blues etc. Hope this helps.

paul444
05-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I had a quick go at the eggs, just to say I tried, trying to get the nest was quite difficult.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2008/82968-eggs.jpg

Scarefishcrow
05-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Sandra.. Your barns are good. Pat and Paul have given you some good advice and I think you are doing well with OP. Keep posting!

Mary, WELCOME to the OP forum. This comes from a fellow "lurker" that took months to timidly post even a comment, and coaxing from Pat to post a sketch!!! That was in Feb and it seems like I've been around here and known these folks forever. You have nothing to be embrarassed about. Your nest is quite well done, particularly considering this is you FIRST attemp at OP. Have you worked in other media before. My guess is the real thing is a little darker than the photo which is a common problem everyone seems to have, at least time to time. It's not easy to take photos of paintings. We hope you find this a friendly place to post your work and get and give suggestions as you learn. I have learned more here in 3 months than in years of reading books. Welcome and come often. There are some links in my signature line that may be useful if you are new to OP or even WC.

Pat, thanks again for all your work during this WC upgrade process. it will be worth the hassles in the long run.

Bill

Pat Isaac
05-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Sandra, if you have a dark brown add that to the blue that is already there.
Paul, fantastic eggs. I like the texture and vibrant color. You really nailed those spotted eggs.

Pat

gakinme
05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Paul, great nest. I love the colors of the rim of the nest and you have great looking eggs. Make me want to do my eggs again.

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul, Pat.

Okay, I added some brown and managed to give the inside some perspective.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2008/86669-op_barn3_small.jpg

Scarefishcrow
05-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Sandra.. That does seem to give the interior some additional depth! Good job.

BILL

Pat Isaac
05-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, that helps a great deal and I really like the airiness of your trees.

Pat

AngelaF
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Mary, you did a nice job on the nest, as Bill said, especially for your first use of oil pastels. Your eggs look nice and rounded.

Sandra, nice job on the barns. Your daytime barn is well done and your night time barn is very imaginative.

Paul, very well done nest, can't tell by looking at it that the nest part was frustrating. The colors are also cohesive, yet interesting. The highlights on the eggs are done very well.

Happy painting everyone, Angela

Scarefishcrow
05-17-2008, 09:11 PM
I had a quick go at the eggs, just to say I tried, trying to get the nest was quite difficult.

Paul,

In all the confusion of lost posts, I completely missed your nest post!! I think we may have been posting simultaneously.

Anyway, you really NAILED the nest. WOW! How did you get the depth and texture in the pocket of the nest? Did you use any scraping back or is it all small strokes? Really like the small yellow ochre-like speckles in that part of the nest.

Great job.

BILL:clap: :clap:

paul444
05-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Sandra, well done, this has added good depth to that interior. Thanks for your comments on my eggs.

Pat, thanks. Sometimes you think this just isn't working, but you just have to push on and hope it turns out o.k. This was what it was like with the nest.

Angela, thanks, maybe its true that you have to suffer for your art. :lol: .

Bill, No worries, these things happen to all of us. I didn't us any scraping back it was all done using small lines getting bigger as I worked my way up the nest.
Most of the speckles are the base paper showing through. The depth was achieved by using predominantly dark colours at the base getting lighter as I worked my way up.
I've never done anything like this before so I wasn't sure it was going to work and at times I thought it wasn't and nearly gave up.

Scarefishcrow
05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Paul. I saw somewhere the other day in a siggie line a quote something like "To paint, the pain of not painting has to exceed the pain of painting". Well, that was the sense of it anyway and sorry I don't recall the author or where I saw it, but it speaks well to you point of sometimes having to anguish over your art. It really does come with the creative territory, doesn't it! Often a real emotianal roller coaster!

Thanks again for the info.

Bill

truck driver
05-20-2008, 12:26 AM
very busy month, some great work here. sorry I havent gotten my nest posted it's coming soon. But to let you know I havent exactly been lazy. I have a stippling drawing over in the Pen and Ink forum. Should get the nest finished soon, and well I am working on a pen and ink drawing of the barn...
will get the ops back out soon and finish the nest and take a nother crack at the barn.
RG

truck driver
05-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Well without further ado...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2008/136518-nest.JPG

RG

truck driver
05-21-2008, 08:22 PM
ughh its upside down...

lol cant believe i did that.

RG

Pat Isaac
05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Is this the way you wanted it?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2008/35760-136518-nest.JPG
Nice texture on the nest and those eggs really sit in there. Love that nice spring green.

Pat

truck driver
05-22-2008, 03:20 PM
actually nope, the yellow goes at the top :)

Not that it really matters anyway..

Thanks for the comments Pat, btw this is on....
Colorfix Paper (white) craypas expressionists. forgot to mention that when I posted it. I now see why you like the colorfix paper so much. blending is much easier even with the mid grade pastels that I use. Sennelier would be very easy to work with on this paper. Seems the secret is light pressure, lots of layers built up slowly, Just like I would do with a pen or pencil.

RG

reeta
05-22-2008, 07:56 PM
hello everyone:wave:
Here is my rendition of the barn for the may oil pastel challenge. This was fun for me, and a real challenge because I don't usually do buildings. It forced me to push myself.
C&C always welcome and appreciated!
thanks,
Reeta:) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2008/79333-P5221064.JPG

truck driver
05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Nice soft effect almost a mist I like it.
rg

Pat Isaac
05-23-2008, 07:54 AM
This does have a lovely soft airy feeling, like a mist. Nice depth to the barn.

Pat

paul444
05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Nice nest RG the green really sets it off.

Reeta, great barn, it has a good sense of depth to the interior.

wildart129
05-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Oh my, so many post. I've looked at all the work so far and it all looks wonderful and beautiful.:clap: :thumbsup:

gakinme
05-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Reeta, such a soft subtle feel to it. Very nice.

reeta
05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I have been looking at all of the work posted this month and have enjoyed looking at all of it. I love the idea of having monthly challenges. I'm looking forward to Junes already.

RG, Pat , Paul ,Wildart, and Sandra, Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate the feedback.:)
Reeta