PDA

View Full Version : hard pastels

zedek
04-29-2008, 02:58 AM
just curious for those of you who layer with different pastels. What pastel brand do you use as a base and why? how about for a second layer and third?
thanks for all your help:p

Maureen Grantham
04-29-2008, 05:25 AM
I don't use hard pastels very much. I start my paintings with Rembrandt or Art Spectrum pastels and the finishing touches are done with Schminke. I use these pastels as they are the easiest for me to obtain locally.

Eclectic_Asylum
04-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Rembrandt is my hard pastel too. Everything else goes in between (sennelier, unison, terry ludwig) and Schminke is last.

Reasoning- Most of the hard pastels have a lot of extremely fugitive colors and its hard to find ratings. Rembrandts only have a couple of fugitive colors. Rembrandts (& Art Spectrum as Maureen said) are hard enough that most of the really soft pastels have no problem layering over the top.

Tressa
04-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Art Spectrum is probably as hard as I go...but my sticks are all mixed up, and sorted by value, so I really don't think about the type of stick, just what I need at the moment in value!!
A lot of people use Nupastel, but the only one I have ever used is the 298P dark green for underpainting.
Tres

rankamateur1
04-29-2008, 08:24 AM
I use NuPastels, but only because I bought them before I knew better. They were the only hard pastel sold by the art store nearby. They're fine for practicing, but they are not lightfast. When they're gone, I plan to replace them with Faber-Castell Polychromos.

Luana

water girl
04-29-2008, 07:05 PM
I always begin with NuPastels. They start to fill in the tooth, but don't cost an arm and a leg. I top that off with my Rembrandts and finish off with the softer ones....Ludwigs, Sennelier, Schmincke.