PDA

View Full Version : When good beads go bad

Beth Myers
07-09-2002, 01:21 AM
Confession time!
Have any of you been working like mad on a bead you just know is going to win you some major award, like ruler of a small country, when either you, gravity or the karma forces of the universe screw the whole thing up, way beyond repair? (what a sentence). Southerners are known for being story tellers you know, Anyway......This was going to be the bead that made me Queen of all Europe and right out of the blue....whack....no matter how many nights I lay awake recreating this disaster can I come up with just what went wrong.
So.... what do you do? Well me, I seem to add more, and more and more glass. And it looks like this. What to use it for, door stop, boat anchor, signal UFO's to land in my yard. If any of you have made it this far in the post, tell me your stories and if you have any solutions, let's hear em.
Nudges and Winks,
Beth
beaubeads

Beth Myers
07-09-2002, 01:22 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2002/whatnot_bead.JPG

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-09-2002, 01:46 AM
Beth It would make a beautiful lamp/fan pull or a lamp shade final. Those are great colors. There is not much you can't save.
Bobby

ValorieCox
07-09-2002, 02:10 AM
Beth, Gee, that bead looks kind of pretty!

When that happens to me, and the bead starts to go from bad to worse, I choose one of several options:

1. If the bead is small, and not far along, I stop my losses, set the mandral down, (not going into the kiln), and don't waste my time, glass or energy on a 'misbehaved' bead.

2. If the bead is large, and I know it's a 'loser' anyway, I use the larger surface to practise a detail technique I know I haven't perfected yet, such as small detail work like 'drawing' with my stringer, then I pop it in the kiln, knowing it will be tossed, but chalk it up to more experience time.

3. My other choice, depending on my mood, is to let the whole thing melt down to the core, reshape, rethink, and sometimes end up with a delightful bead after all!

Valorie
:cat:

Mike E etc
07-09-2002, 07:43 AM
Beth, I think the bead has lots of character, that is why you did not give up on it.:clap: I have worked on a piece thinking the same thing as to how great and how much this beauty is going to cost someone.;) . When it comes out of the kiln, :eek: , it goes straight to the glass scrap pile. Or I will spend to much time trying to save something when I should have quite.
Mike E

b2beads
07-09-2002, 10:03 AM
It's not a bad bead, it's just misunderstood.... B2

Beth Myers
07-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Great ideas folks :clap: :clap:
Thanks!!!!

motherbeads
07-09-2002, 12:06 PM
I follow the Sharon Peters rule. If she says "Oh, sh*t!" three times during the making of a bead, she squashes it and it becomes a flat fish bead.

Works for me!

margaretz
07-09-2002, 12:10 PM
I think you should make it a finial for a lamp pull- someplace where it will gets lots of light. It is a pretty bead- just because it's misunderstood, it shouldn't be put with all the lost toys...
This AZ sun completely disintegrated the string that held a set of windchimes together... So last night I redid the whole thing using Beadalon (a suprisingly sturdy result) with a number of my "misunderstood" beads. It was a quick and fun project.

Shirley C.
07-09-2002, 12:26 PM
I can't remember the exact quote, but Loren Stump made a comment in class something to the effect of, "The more you work it, the better it does not get".

I have found this to be true.

So last Sunday, after having had the worst bead day of my life on Friday, I figured, "This is it - it's going to be a real productive day!". There's a bicone that I make for which I've had several requests, so I decided I'd do several for the upcoming Gathering bead bazaar. It's very time-consuming - the center portion has 5 layers of stuff in white, blues, and greens. Then I add the ends in ivory and perform various embellishment acts on the finished shape. So after having spent about 20 minutes creating the center, which is the largest portion of the bead, I saw that one of the ends was a bit wonky. Using my graphite paddle, I evened up that end. Then I noticed that I had scraped the bead release off the mandrel right near the end. I just about let out a scream - now I couldn't add the ivory to each end. What I should have done was get the shape the way a finished bead should look, then call it quits. But noooooo... I figured I'd try to patch the missing spot of bead release. HA! What was I thinking?!

So after making a complete bead release mess on my mandrel, my work surface, some murrini that were on my work surface, and yes, my bead in progress, I had to dump the bead into the water bucket. Half an hour, a bunch of glass, and lots of various frit down the drain. Another lesson learned? We'll see... :(

Jennifer Geldard
07-09-2002, 12:31 PM
When I have a bead like that, as long as it's fairly centered, and the shape is good ...ie: it's just the surface that sucks :)
I roll the whole thing all over in enamels and begin the decoration again in another direction, or if I'm completely frustrated,
whipping it accros the room against the concrete wall has it's appeal ;)

Beth Myers
07-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Now Jennifer,
That is a solution after my own heart and fitting my personality!
High five!
beth

macbeth7
07-09-2002, 03:09 PM
Beth,

It does have cool colors. I agree with the finial idea.

Beth

Anne Londez
07-09-2002, 03:47 PM
My version: I put it in the kiln and I etch it later... but it doesn't always really help. I am too sentimental to put it in the water bucket...
Anne

Lara
07-09-2002, 10:01 PM
I know exactly how you feel. Today I was making a bead that I just knew was going to be one of my best. I did a great job of linear casing in clear, then was going to make it into a "melon" bead (you know with 8 indentations around the bead. Well I got them all evenly spaced (which is not normal for me). The first line I put on was getting a little melted in so I went with my razor tool to make it deeper again. AUGH I got a bit off to the side and now I have one indentation wider than the rest. :mad: I was going to use this bead for an exchange, but now I can't. Oh well, I'll wear it and everyone will think it is cool, but I don't think I can share it with other bead makers. I wanted to re-heat the area and get it to round out and then re-do the indentation, however the stupid little MAPP container was getting cold and I was running out of fuel. Don't you just hate that.

Lara

Beth Myers
07-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Lara,
You have all my sympathy. Needed to make just three hollow beads tonight. Everything short of being hit by Babe Ruth's last home run and the Second Coming interfered. Geeeeeeeez!
No rest for the weary and the wicked don't need it, my Grandmother always said.
A group hug is in order,,,,,,,,,,,squeezeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:angel:
Night,
beth
beaubeads

DonnaB
07-09-2002, 11:38 PM
Great thread Beth... I am so glad I am not alone in these situations, and lately, all the beads I make seem to be these situations! I don't have good advice what to do, but can tell you something not to ever do: Don't ever start adding interesting little intense black stringer decorations to the good bead that has gone bad. It just makes it uglier and it is an expensive way to do it!

Beth Myers
07-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Donna,
I am soooo laughing!
Been there done that too......it is so nice that we are all so much alike, misery and company and all.

flamewerks
07-10-2002, 12:27 AM
Recently, I had this good (ok, ok... mediocre) boro bead go awry, so I made a fish.

I also use bad beads in my release jar to make the mixing smoother.

margaretz
07-10-2002, 12:54 AM
Mona- that fish is so cool! I really like the heavy use of clear, and that the color seeps into the tail a little- keeps it moving visually.

NewCreation
07-10-2002, 01:53 AM
I smash, cut, pinch and pull the buggers! Usually they don't get any better though! (I'm a southern girl as well, by the way):angel:

Beth Myers
07-10-2002, 02:27 AM
GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH!
High five Amy, we belles just have to stick together, Ya Ya thing, right? grin.
Adam is beautiful. My son Beau, hence, Beaubeads, is now 22 and 6 feet tall 200 lbs, but it really does seem like just this morning I was holding him like you are your sweety. These really are the best days of your life, hold them and enjoy, dirty diaper, bills and all!
Love,
Beth

macbeth7
07-10-2002, 03:29 PM
Great fish, Mona...not bad for a "mediocre" bead!
:clap:

22, Beth?? I wouldn'ta guessed it!

Beth

snootyvixen
09-09-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm *BUMPING* this thread because I found a finial finding at Hobby Lobby today and I was searching to see if anyone had made a finial!

And here I find Beth's poor old bead LOL!!

What did you end up doing with it, Beth?

Vikki

Beth Myers
09-09-2004, 11:38 PM
You know I don't know where that monster went. I think someone took it as a key chain thingy. It did have great color.
BUT....it's size was such a bad display of new skills....lol.
Beth

I'm *BUMPING* this thread because I found a finial finding at Hobby Lobby today and I was searching to see if anyone had made a finial!

And here I find Beth's poor old bead LOL!!

What did you end up doing with it, Beth?

Vikki

koregon
09-09-2004, 11:43 PM
hm Beth........You gave up a tad to soon, all in all, its not that bad lookin...had promise...should of just taken it a few more steps...yeah yeah...I know..I am nuts :wink2:
I hardly ever put a bead in the water bowl
if its on the smaller side...I just use it as a core and cover it and start over...
if its big.......add silvered ivory...more color and change its looks.
I hate to waste glass...so very seldom do I ditch a bead. If it looks like its hopeless...sometimes I even it up...get it centered...flatten it and decorate and cover up LOL...amazing sometimes how there are some aweful ugly beads under some that turn our fairly pretty.

snootyvixen
09-10-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm with you, Kay! If anyone were to cut my beads in half, there's no telling what's under there!

Just last week I totally wasted the last of my Bullseye dichro because the edges "sizzled", so I covered it with opaque and decorated it with flowers LOL!

Who is it who has the tag line "If at first you don't succeed, cover it up with opaque"?

Vikki

Beth Myers
09-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Well Kaye,
Consider that this thread is two years old. That bead was beyond any help, I think I did the right thing and left it as it was.
I'm really anal about stuff like that, I can't cover up, makes me feel icky. Sort of a challange between me and me. Have to be as near to perfect as I can make it or I'm not happy, and I would never sell it unless it was all it should be. Lucky for me, that doesn't happen to0 often anymore. :D
Beth

hm Beth........You gave up a tad to soon, all in all, its not that bad lookin...had promise...should of just taken it a few more steps...yeah yeah...I know..I am nuts :wink2:
I hardly ever put a bead in the water bowl
if its on the smaller side...I just use it as a core and cover it and start over...
if its big.......add silvered ivory...more color and change its looks.
I hate to waste glass...so very seldom do I ditch a bead. If it looks like its hopeless...sometimes I even it up...get it centered...flatten it and decorate and cover up LOL...amazing sometimes how there are some aweful ugly beads under some that turn our fairly pretty.

koregon
09-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Well Kaye,
Consider that this thread is two years old. That bead was beyond any help, I think I did the right thing and left it as it was.
I'm really anal about stuff like that, I can't cover up, makes me feel icky. Sort of a challange between me and me. Have to be as near to perfect as I can make it or I'm not happy, and I would never sell it unless it was all it should be. Lucky for me, that doesn't happen to0 often anymore. :D
Beth
Yeah but Beth....think about it.
Most bead makers unless they just love to throw money away...wont make a full bead out of say copper green or opal yellow...it takes a whole rod for a big bead...so why not say...melt it all in...shape it...and encase it in expensive glass and make a new bead???

PS: didn't realize the thread was old...until after I answered...then I felt silly...sorry bout that.

But still...I always roll the darn ugly thing in my osibin mold and make it a oval barrel and then encase it in a new pretty color...start over decorating. I guess I feel good about fixing mistakes...rather than giving it in and not giving it my best shot...must be a mental thing with me...personality thing

guess I will forever be frugal...besides..it takes time to make a core that big...instead of dumping it in water...mines well make it worth the time that it took to put most of that glass on.

my big beads are a rod of glass big before I decorate a lot of times....so I guess I was thinking of time saved instead of starting a new bead...and dumping one in the water or givin it up.

Now...who brought a two year old thread to the top...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I do beleive I am gonna try and take a break from WC...goes to show...I don't pay didly squat worth of attention...a lot of good I am in the darn forum :D

Beth Myers
09-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Yeah but Beth....think about it.
Most bead makers unless they just love to throw money away...wont make a full bead out of say copper green or opal yellow...it takes a whole rod for a big bead...so why not say...melt it all in...shape it...and encase it in expensive glass and make a new bead???

PS: didn't realize the thread was old...until after I answered...then I felt silly...sorry bout that.

But still...I always roll the darn ugly thing in my osibin mold and make it a oval barrel and then encase it in a new pretty color...start over decorating. I guess I feel good about fixing mistakes...rather than giving it in and not giving it my best shot...must be a mental thing with me...personality thing

guess I will forever be frugal...besides..it takes time to make a core that big...instead of dumping it in water...mines well make it worth the time that it took to put most of that glass on.

my big beads are a rod of glass big before I decorate a lot of times.

Good for you Kaye,
Being frugal is a nice thing.
Like I said, made that bead many years ago. And as I said, I can't remember the last bad bead I made, been a long time. I do make beads that I may not like too much, color, etc. and these I call test beads. But, they are still made well, and folks seem to like them well enough to buy them. They just are not usualy my taste or what I had in mind.
As for making a bead that was structuraly bad, haven't done it in ages. All that practice I guess. ;)
Why are we even talking about this????
Beth

koregon
09-10-2004, 12:50 AM
Why are we even talking about this????
Beth

Because Snooty brought it to the top...darn you Vikki! :evil:

snootyvixen
09-10-2004, 09:55 AM
That's right! Wait until I go to bed, then blame me! LMAO!!!!!!!

Morning guys! *YAWN!*

I just say ... to each, his own!

Vikki

Helen Simon
09-10-2004, 10:22 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4924209545&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Here's what I did w/ a naughty boy...the heart pendant started out as a hollow, but my hollows don't always stay that way, since squishing the walls has a tendency to break my release...need a gentler touch....there's still a hollow bit in there somewhere :)...but I turned that boy into a glamor girl, and made her the centerpiece of the set, adding 2 roses and leaves and silver. That'll learn it ;) ..Love, Helen

Luka
09-18-2004, 01:08 AM
;)
Beth

Beth,

Please take this seriously.

If that bead is still around, and you can find it... I'd like to buy it.

I really would.

I don't buy beads. But this one.... I don't know. There is just something there that grabs me. I am serious.

acorns2oaks
09-20-2004, 04:07 PM
I think you should make it a finial for a lamp pull- someplace where it will gets lots of light. It is a pretty bead- just because it's misunderstood, it shouldn't be put with all the lost toys...
This AZ sun completely disintegrated the string that held a set of windchimes together... So last night I redid the whole thing using Beadalon (a suprisingly sturdy result) with a number of my "misunderstood" beads. It was a quick and fun project.

I've been unhappy with the regular wire I had tried to make a windchime out of some of my beadies and BAM! didn't even think of beadalon!!! DUHHHHHH

Makin' a windchime later tonight!

Stacy (aka acorns2oaks/LT's/ and here as my friend Sue calls me frit addict/"junkie")