PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble April 28 Thru May 4

K Taylor-Green
04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Afternoon, gang. Seems like I get in here later and later on Mondays. It is my busiest Grandma day.
Anyway, welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday life!

Not only do the grandkids have me chasing my tail, but we are on puppy watch.
Whitney, my Chocolate Lab, is due any day! I hope she doesn't have as many as last Spring. 10 seemed very overwhelming to her, and to me too!

IdahoHat
04-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Katherine - good luck with your sweet lab and her whelping. Thankfully, we no longer breed our dogs, so as much as we love puppies, we don't have to go through that any more.

Will be visiting a gallery about my work tomorrow. A little bit anxious about it, but if it is meant to be it will work out. God knows what I need and where my work should go, so I'll do my best and leave it up to Him. My daughter is introducing me to the owner and athey have a business relationship. It will be fun showing my work anyway.

:wave: Got to go cook as I am having lunch guests. Have a great week everybody.

Deborah Secor
04-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm at my in-laws place in Buffalo now, all settled into a guest apartment for a week. It's lovely. My mom is having some trouble and has to go to the doctor tomorrow. I'm hoping it's nothing serious enough to warrant flying home. That would be so difficult and expensive, but if needed God will provide!

Harriett, I hope the gallery is meant to be--but if not the perfect thing will come along, I'm sure.

Kate, hope the puppy watch is fruitful, but in limited numbers! I know how overwhelming 10 can be... Of course, it could be lucrative too. I'm so sorry we didn't have the time to get to see you on this trip. We were so close to so many people I would love to have seen... well, we ARE going home next week so you just never know what might happen. I'm not sure which way we'll be heading though.

I have some really exciting things to share with you all but I've been asked not to talk about them for now. I'm more excited to share than I can say, and trust me, it's good!!! Maybe next week sometime I can explain. Not sure. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Okay, must go spend a little time with the fiolks we came to see! :wave:

Deborah

PeggyB
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I had a fun morning today. It is my granddaughter's fifth birthday. Her Daddy, my son, took the day off work and invited me to go with them to breakfast - where they were served ice cream too! - and then we went to a ceramics store where she picked out a mermaid to paint. Her 3 year old brother chose a race car - of course. It will be interesting to see the fired results - of course we let them choose their own colors and where to apply them.... then we went to the party store where Zoe chose a funny furry "Birthday Princess" hat that just happened to have 5 "candles" on top, and some glittery sunglasses that have a "crown" across the top edge. Her brother chose red lens glasses with "fire" shaped frames.... As we got into the car, Zoe said this had been a very fun birthday party. Tonight they will continue the celebration with pizza and ice cream....

I left to go to my chiropractic appointment! I think it is beginning to work! My lower back is slowly beginning to feel not so sore - well actually not so down right painful! :clap:

Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Peggy

Tressa
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone!
Kathrine, hope the puppies all arrive safe and sound.
Harriet, good luck tomorrow, and don't sweat it, if it's meant it will...:thumbsup:

Deborah...what a carrot to dangle!!:evil: Hope you enjoy your visit and travel safe.

Peggy, sounds like my kinda b-party: ice cream for breakfast!

No painting this weekend, as we went to Va Thurs -Sat to Shanedoah Valley for our anniversary, then it was clean house the rest of the weekend, so I am pooped !!! Floors mopped, batrooms scrubbed, dusting, clutter detail...Whew, getting tired again just writing about it!!
Take care,
Tres

K Taylor-Green
04-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Deborah, I know, how could you pick?!

Still on puppy watch. Whitney is so unpredictable, not like Di at all. I think she just likes being contrary.

We have an unhappy horse. Seyn was gelded yesterday. Even doing it in the right time of the moon, I know he is sore. Poor guy.

IdahoHat
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Okay, Deborah. You are like my husband saying, "Oh, you're just going to love what I got you, but you have to wait until two weeks from now on your birthday!" :eek: I can't stand it! :lol:

As far as the house cleaning. All of us still have to do the regular home stuff, instead of just painting all day, every day......

My appointment at the gallery got postmponed until Friday, so more waiting. Oh well.

Enjoy the moment and be grateful for the air we breathe. You are all so much fun and, if any of you newbies hesitate to jump, don't hesitate. The more the merrier!

Colorix
05-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Ahem, ladies, all of us don't do household work instead of painting... some of us :o lets the house go to seed inside, and the dandelions on the lawn outside... I *really* don't like household work. Washing is OK, as I spend three times five minutes on it, filling the machine, paint, taking wash out of machine throw into tumbler, paint, remember to take dry clothes out of tumbler (maybe) before going to bed.

To whine a bit: Mother-in-law and sis-in-law are in town... :eek: :evil: :mad: I have rather strong feelings about them... MIL decided she'd 'go slumming' and see my show, but she decided the place *would* be open today (although she was told the staff is in Paris). If she's lucky, the café is open, and she'll get in. I ain't gonna be there, nosir! I simply *have* to stay home and work like crazy on the next show, alas... :D I simply don't want to listen to their comments, I want to stay sane and calm.

Tressa
05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
LOL, I'm with you Charlie!! I put it off as long as possible, then when I have to, I 'll clean, when we have no clothes, and the house is overrun with clutter!!

Ahh...MILs...aren't they a joy??:evil:
Tres

Shirl Parker
05-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I have someone come every other week for like 3 hours.:evil: :evil: I would be satisfied with once a month, but it's so hard to find someone to do it regularly when it's less often.

Dot Hoffman
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Deborah, hope all was okay with your mom.

Charlie, ohhhhh, why do people have to be like that:confused: ? I really admire your self-restraint.

Well, this has been a week......the buyer's inspector found hail damage to the roof which we didn't know about, so I called the insurance company and they have been just wonderful, and sent an adjuster the next day, who called a contractor they work with a lot, and that man came the same afternoon and said, yes indeed, there was extensive hail damage to the roof, gutters, gutter covers, downspouts, vents, facsia, etc. The day after that, I got a call from the adjuster that the contractor had agreed to his price for roof replacement and all repairs, and the first check was in the mail and should be here in 2 - 3 days, and repairs will start next week. Meantime, we had some minor plumbing and electrical repairs done, so I hope everything meets the buyer's requests. We feel we got off lucky, with only about $1200 out of pocket. The biggest expenditure was time. Now we wait for confirmation that the buyers accept the work being done. THEN, we can start packing seriously, calling the movers, etc. etc. etc. Meantime, we are in limbo. I hope I sleep better when this is all over.

I had a nice surprise yesterday. A bit of background: I had the same cleaning lady for 25 years, and then she quit because it was just getting to be too much. I cried when she told me. That was about 6 months ago. Then I got a call from her, and she invited me to lunch. We had a wonderful time, and when she dropped me off, she cried because we are planning on leaving the area. I was so touched. We really didn't know how much our friends cared about us till this decision to move away, and everyone has been telling us to stay. It's making it hard, but it's wonderful to know how much they love us. :heart:

Meantime, I haven't had much time to paint, and my fingers itch :lol:

Deborah Secor
05-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Still in Buffalo, as my mom seems to have rallied, thank God. I can relate to the m-i-l thing. :rolleyes: The pace of retirement is a bit hard to take... We could go out and 'do things' but it's been rainy and most of what we want to do is outside! We did go to a nice Wednesday night service at a nearby Calvary Chapel (the non-denominational denomination we attend in ABQ) and it was just delightful.

We hit Niagara Falls on the one sunny-ish day. When I get home I'll show you some pix. What an incredible place! It really is one of those places everyone should see. Because of Homeland Security they've effectively closed the trip over to the Canadian side now, requiring passports to get back into the country. My husband and I flirted with seeing whether the Canadians would keep us, but decided against trying. :lol:

Funny story: I called our son while at the falls and left a message so he could hear the incredible roaring sound of the falls. He reported that Motorola had spent millions of dollars figuring out how to keep background noise out, so he didn't hear anything but silence! (Duh! :o )

We leave here on Monday and will likely arrive home on Thursday sometime. We're certainly shocked at the cost of accomodations, not to mention gasoline! $3.75+ a gallon is tops so far, and I won't be surprised to find more as we go. Oh well! Gotta get home.

I'm looking forward to the DRY again. Wow--humidity is tough. It was at 4% at home when we left, it's more like 67% here. I can't believe how hot 70 degrees can feel! :p

I'm sorry to keep y'all hanging on about this 'surprise.' I think you'll be pleased for me, but for now I have to keep it mum. It's not that I want to, mind you. :wink2: I'd blab it all over...

I'm going to take a bit of time to go look at threads. See you! :wave:
Deborah

PeggyB
05-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm with the "less house cleaning" crowd. When the cat and dog fur is thick enough to walk on, it is time to vacuum - well sometimes it seems that bad! With this current lower back thingy vacuuming is something I'm not supposed to do, and hubby "said" he'd do it - yah sure! once about a month ago!!! Needless to say, I've done it since then more than once. My physical therapist showed me a way to do it that is "allowed" - not sure that was something I wanted to learn though! :lol: I have to wear my back brace, and then pretend my arm is strapped to my side so to move the vacuum my whole body moves forward instead of just my arm - it seems to take about twice as long :mad: My daughter said we should get someone in to do the work if only every other week, but that is a very expensive option in our area of the country...

I wish I still had my mother-in-law with us. She died much too young - 52 years old from lung cancer. We didn't live in the same area of the country, but the few times we were together she was a most delightful woman. I've always been glad she got to see and enjoy her grandchildren even a little bit - she'd have been the perfect "Nana" to have in their lives... One of my sisters-in-law is like her Mom - a wonderful woman. You can have the other one - her personality is about 180 degrees from the others - self centered, judgemental, negative, etc. Charlie, I love how you handled you MIL - :clap:

Deborah, it sounds as though you are having a good adventure, but I know what you mean about being ready to be home. We can wait to hear about your good fortune. I love surprises, and never want to know what is in the box until the appropriate time to open it. Drives the rest of my family crazy because they always want to peak! :lol:

Dot I'm glad everything is coming together for you in your move. You are fortunate to have had your home sold. Our newspaper had an article about how much the houseing market of King County has slowed, and they now consider it to be a buyers' market. I really don't want to have to stay in this huge house any longer than necessary once my husband decides to retire, but goodness knows if moving any time within the next couple years will be possible now...

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend. Kate, maybe Whitney will decide to co-operate and you'll have only a few new little ones arrive. I remember caring for 10 golden retriever pups once. After that experience I knew I wasn't cut out to be a breeder because I was way too fussy about who could buy one of them!

Peggy

chewie
05-03-2008, 03:38 PM
hi gang! its been a rough week--i only wish i were having the issues of moving! the first time home buyer program is what we are trying to go thru for our $$ for new home--and they must lay awake at night, dreaming up new and horrible 'hoops' for us to jump thru. and they are all time sensitive, so we rush and hurry to get our paperworks in, where they sit for weeks!! i can now see why so many ppl in our area plop down a double wide and be done with it. i'd rather have the house we planned on, but at this rate, not sure how much more we can take.

then to add to my week, the bus driver has been harassing my kids and then i learned, most of the others as well. i talked to him, where he snapped at me. after alone with my kids further down the road, he snarled to my oldest (13 next week) that she ''shouldn't have told your mother''. ewww! is that not creepy??!! plus several other things later in the ride, and when confronting the school, they gave him nothing but a 'talking to.' none of the other parents will speak up for fear of making this guy angry. and the school even said that he has 'anger issues and poor people skills' but can't figure out why i can't put my kids back on the bus?! makes me want to run away and hide forever!

my preggers doe still ain't popped, every day i think, she can't go another day!, then she does! but i'm getting more milk than i can handle from the 2 i have now, i think i'll just let her raise the kids and not milk her. right now i have over 6 gals in my fridge!! eek! i made cheese and yogurt already too!

i am very anxiously awaiting to hear from a portrait i sent off--it was a gift to a close friend, who is getting married sunday. my hubby went to georgia to stand up for him, and i shipped the painting.

ah, MIL's. they can be fun! mine was a horrible person for years, but in the last few seems to have calmed down. i doubt we'll ever be close, but at least i don't feel bile coming up when i see her anymore!!

i hope you all have smooth moves, whelping, and family issues this next week, i think we all deserve a good week!!

Shirl Parker
05-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Noah in 2008

In the year 2008, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in the United States, and said, 'Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me.

Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans.'

He gave Noah the blueprints, saying, 'You have 6 months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights.'

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark.

'Noah!' He roared, 'I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?'

'Forgive me, Lord,' begged Noah, 'but things have changed. I needed a building permit. I've been arguing with the inspector about the need for a sprinkler system. My neighbors claim that I've violated the neighborhood zoning laws by building the Ark in my yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the Development Appeal Board for a decision.

Then the Department of Transportation demanded a bond be posted for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it.

Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the spotted owl. I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!

When I started gathering the animals, an animal rights group sued me.

They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.

Then the EPA ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood.

I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew.

Immigration and Naturalization are checking the green-card status of most of the people who want to work.

The trades unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only Union workers with Ark-building experience.

To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species.

So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark.'

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky. Noah looked up in wonder and asked, 'You mean you're not going to destroy the world?'

'No,' said the Lord. 'The government beat me to it.'

Colorix
05-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Shirl, that story is priceless!

Chewie, how could anyone trust that man with children? I'm surprised there hasn't been a revolt by the parents of the other kids. And how can the school keep him?

Dot, I think you got off lucky. Amazing how much stuff one never notices. We have a flat-ish roof, and one spring I took a ladder, climbed up to see how the paint on some metal parts was doing, and discovered that the roof had been flooded some time, there were water-level marks... all around it. (No water, though.) Nothing bad happened, thankfully.

Deborah, Niagara falls are incredible. The word 'mighty' takes on a whole new meaning. I've been to the bottom of them on the US side. Visited Rochester one hot and humid summer -- I swear the humidity in the air condensed on my body. And during night there were hordes of bloodsucking insects just hovering and waiting for me to step out of the car...

MIL actually got into the gallery. So she's still secure in her belief that the universe rotates around her. MIL and SIL are reported to have expressed astonishment at the number of paintings (18), and quality of work. "We didn't know she could paint!" Well, dear Hubby only reported the positive things they said. Oh, btw, it is our 15th aniversary next month. :-)

Tressa
05-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Sad day in Ky...:crying: Eight Belles collapsed and had to be put down on the track...She was runner up to Big Brown, who won.
I love the races, and the Preakness will be here in 2 weeks, but I just feel so bad for these poor horses. They are bred to run, but have no legs to support their weight:confused: ...This is sooo horrible when things like this happens..
Tres

Dot Hoffman
05-04-2008, 08:46 AM
We watched the race yesterday, and I was heartbroken to hear Eight Belles had "an accident" (their euphemism)right after finishing second, and they had to put her down because of her injuries. It was so sad. I haven't heard any details, but I can't even imagine the pain the poor creature felt.

K Taylor-Green
05-04-2008, 12:10 PM
We watched the race, too. I couldn't believe this happened. She ran such a clean race, no bumps or anything to account for the injury. So many great horses getting injured. The legs are so delicate to support such muscled athletes.

Shirl, great story!

Chris, my sister is a driver, she retires this yr. She is firm with her kids on the bus, but not nasty. People who can't relate to kids have no business driving a school bus.

Deborah, I got to see the Canadian side of the Falls back in the early 70s. It was breathtaking. I feel very lucky to have seen it.

Well, I am sick. Not as sick as I usually get this time of year, but all the mowing Jess has to do is killing me! I am off to get cough medicine to add to my allergy medicines and hope it helps.
I can't be sick next weekend!!!