PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hair Day

bluewindfisher
04-26-2008, 06:27 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-26-2008/70598_2007036badhairday.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bad Hair Day
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 100 x 70cms
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the third in my series on rodeos.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I look forward to your comments and feedback. <br>Regards<br>Graham<br>

thomas w
04-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Great atmosphere in such a small space. Everything is done quite skillfully, I especially like the horses shoulders and mane.
Thomas W

tgsloth
04-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Well this is magnificently painted and what a creative composition. And, hey, I'm a Texan so I know what I'm saying.

There are two elements in the composition which bother me a bit. The red circles on the rider's legs seem too intense to me. They attract the eye away from the rider's face which should be more the Center of Interest.

And although I've stared at it, I can't make out the black diagonal shape at the upper left. So this bothers me also. Since the painting is of good size, it's perhaps clear when you see the original.

MRSBB
04-26-2008, 11:02 AM
A really nice painting and capture of the bare back rider and excellent job on the horse. I can see he is getting a rough ride with his chaps flying up in the air to our left. I'm wondering if you added more dust flying if that would add more drama to the painting, just seems a little sterile for the rodeo, but wonderful painting. Hope he holds for his 8 seconds............Lenore

goby
04-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Wow! I love this! Your use of light is very good, I would hang this painting on my wall in a heartbeat!:clap:
Goby

Dana Design
04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Truly a beautiful painting, Graham.

One question...why paint the fellow's leg sitting on the fence in such a light value? Dimming that a bit would place more attention on the rider and horse.

That horse, BTW, is wonderful!

maw-t
04-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Oh wow, this is wonderful... I am wondering who is having the "Bad Hair Day" the rider or the horse... guess the buzzer will tell! They both look determined..
Great sense of action and super atmosphere.. I could have sold a dozen of these at the art festival here last week..

Corby
04-26-2008, 02:59 PM
LoOVE it! No doubt about the good quality of painting technique and the interest of what you have presented us. Always a treat to see your work Graham. But I would not be true to your interests and that of other artists if I did not make some observations here. Some of them subjective, a matter of my personal inner response and some of them technical. One has to do with hard lines or edges. If background objects have hard lines or edges and too much contrast they will come to the foreground. If a background hard line meets a foreground hardline they will meld and become one object on one level, depth is lost. I am noticing the fence lines on the left as they bisect the forward figure...some well placed dust might set everything back a bit. Also that robust man! He is the epitomy of energetic action, an energy that would be generated by and have its origin in the horse. That is fine it reads well, but the horse...it does not seem to be energetic enough to produce all of that flailing action on the riders part. The horse looks ready to drop. A pathetic facial expression and those foreleg hooves, looking huge heavy and metallic. Is the horse the one having the bad hair day? Just food for thought...maybe useful...maybe not. I miss seeing your work.

kathrynlovespets
04-27-2008, 11:03 AM
the mane of the horse is particularly striking and well painted

bluewindfisher
05-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Thank you all for your comments and feedback.
I really appreciate them. :)
Regards
Graham

plec
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
hello again Graham have just been commenting on the "subdued drama" of you "iron man " piece then I see this one and the term exposive dramatic action comes to mind , great piece and shows you have a fantastic range of work, well done.
Best wishes Ken.

creodont
05-16-2008, 12:22 AM
great action scene and looks like a bad headache as well. The downward turn of the horses head sends you up to the unfortunate rider and the tension of the crowd above. The arms seem to capture the action scene and hold it for are viewing pleasure....john

bluewindfisher
05-18-2008, 02:49 AM
hello again Graham have just been commenting on the "subdued drama" of you "iron man " piece then I see this one and the term exposive dramatic action comes to mind , great piece and shows you have a fantastic range of work, well done.
Best wishes Ken.

Subdued and explosive drama would just about sum me up Ken. LOL. I sometimes think my range of work is a disadvantage because I flit from one theme to another. But I go where my enthusiasm takes me and hopefully that comes through.
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

great action scene and looks like a bad headache as well. The downward turn of the horses head sends you up to the unfortunate rider and the tension of the crowd above. The arms seem to capture the action scene and hold it for are viewing pleasure....john

Thanks very much John. I'm glad you like it. :)

Regards
Graham