Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a still life of Hostess cupcakes and twinkies

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
feedback on shadows , light and dark,color and composition

thomas w
04-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Very realistic, the soft twinkie and chocolate icing really come through. Well done.
Thomas W

tony1
04-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Great job. Very convincing. The only issue is the rear cupcake. The icing isn't as good as the front one. Even though it's in the light I think the icing of the rear cup cake should be more brown. The front cupcake is excellent great job on that icing.

maw-t
04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Wonderful treats... very well painted.. & that icing looks so real!

MRSBB
04-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Like the way you got the light powdery feel to the twinkies. Good job and welcome to the forum.............Lenore

Corby
04-26-2008, 04:01 PM
missbeewelcome to the WC! You have demonstrated a good understanding of shadow and light and composition. The textures used are quite good. This is quite a difficult subject. Its success lies in how it is treated. It can be either a super realistic presentation where we see every grain of sugar as it were., or it can be more representational where we exaggerate the elements that make it up.

I am thinking that one might take it in the representational direction and painted it more broadly with intensely warm color that is more attractive for edibles than cool bluish tones. I realize that the photo and upload processes can be very detrimental to the image we get. Purples and blues seem especially prone to being skewed, we get this sort of milky or foggy look.

you allowed for digital alteration
Here is a workup showing how increasing the strength of the colors used would intensify our drooling over these goodies. Also how softening the back line of the table would allow the cakes to sit better in their environment. darkening and warming the color along the front edge helps the depth of the painting as well... Using a much coarser texture on the cakes allows the enticing color to vibrate and draw us in more as well. These are things to consider, they are things that can be wrested to your way of painting or even rejected out of hand. I like what you are doing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2008/70790-twinkies.jpg

missbee
04-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your encouraging and constructive critiques.This has been extremely helpul...you've helped me see a few things like the edge of the shelf for example where it would make it a better painting.Thanks again.
missbee:wave:

D.W. Flint
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
And I just got over eating those things. Now what'll I do ! Good job...

missbee
04-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Thank you Darrell Flint...I was hoping to get that effect!..
missbee