PDA

View Full Version : Heatset pastels

Trilby
04-26-2008, 01:39 AM
I was reading a 2003 issue of Pastel Journal and came across an article on using heat set pastel called chromacoal pastels made byl D'uva. There are only 10 colors which are mixable. Apparently when heat such as in an oven set to 250 degs or from a heat gun is applied the pastel bond to the paper in a permanent way that not even sanding can remove allowing it to be framed without glass. The article only showed an underpainting done with these and it looked good.

Has anyone used this product? If so did it look like pastel and how did you like it?

Also D'uva's website doesn't come up and I can't find info on the company after 2005, so they may be out of business. Does anyone have info on this.
Thanks
TJ

Shari
04-26-2008, 11:20 AM
This company also had erasable watercolors. I suspect if the heatset pastels had been a hit, they would be more widely used.

rr113
04-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Sounds like an interesting product. I found some for sale at www.jerrysartarama.com which look to me like old stock that they still have around. They do not seem to have all 10 colors. Also there seem to be a lot of these heat set pastels in the fabric painting departments that use an iron on fabric (could one use linen or canvas?)

Richard

BruceF
04-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Google has the ChromaCoal info page cached here:
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:tnihDujrYKoJ:duva.com/products/chromacoal.shtml+duva+chromacoal&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It's basically 10% pigment and 90% binder which is a dry acrylic medium that melts when heated.

Donna A
04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
And I, of course was very curious when I saw them at one of the long-past IAPS Conventions and bought them---both the stick-ish form and the jars of loose pigment. Still have most of it sitting in my studio closet. Was a bit interesting, but seemed rather limited in more ways than inspired. And as Shari, said, if they'd been much of a hit, they would be seen and talked about more. A fun idea---but others around me who also played around with my set seemed equally uninspired to pursue their use. But am sure they would be 'just THE thing' for someone! Yes, really interesting idea. I remember some rather lumpy, clumpy surfaces that seemed a bit 'inelegant,' shall we say. :rolleyes: But again---for some, these would be very exciting and I'm a real believer in experimenting! Ya never know! :D Take good care! Donna ;-}

Trilby
04-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi Richard, Yes, I located the product at Jerry's and will probably buy the 8 colors they have. They are inexpensive enough to experiment with.

Bruce, thanks for the link. It is informative and I've tried an email to the sales dept. We'll see whether it's returned as no good or if it goes through.
TJ

Trilby
04-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Donna, we crossed posted; thanks for sharing your experience with this product. I doubt I'm going to like them much but am intrigued enough to give them a try. If I do like them mayhaps you would sell me the missing colors:)
TJ

rr113
04-27-2008, 11:18 AM
HI Trilby,

Let me know how they work. It seems to me to be an idea that should be pursued. Check the google page mentioned if you haven't already. They clearly experimented with it. The fact that it requires some technical competence I don't think is a mark against it.

Best,

Richard