PDA

View Full Version : lady in blue

Swe
04-25-2008, 05:53 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-25-2008/134101_Lady_in_blue.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: lady in blue
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16"x 20"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is monochomatic nude painting,done recently.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would love to hear about any of critique and comment. Thanks !

tony1
04-25-2008, 06:45 PM
This is beautifully done. I really like the pose. The only crticism I have is the hair. While it's painted very well I don't care for it being that black. I think more blue would (like on the left side of her head) be better. It may be that the hair is too "hard" compared to the softness of the rest of this wonderful piece. Of course this is my opinion. Regardless it's still a great piece.

Swe
04-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the good input :)

tgsloth
04-25-2008, 10:40 PM
It's a great job. Perhaps her right arm's a little off, especially in the elbow area but you put together a challenging pose.

An esthetic comment from my eyes is that the background seems trite. A bunch of diagonal lines looks more like illustration than painting and there are a lot of paintings (I resemble this remark too) where the artist can't figure exactly how to handle the background so they do something which seems rushed. The old masters would often put in a swirly treatment with areas of dark and light suggesting an actual but out of focus background. And there's a reason why we call them masters.

Swe
04-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for an Esthetic corection :)

brosalia
05-05-2008, 05:31 PM
well done -the shading is beautifully done. the pose is great,face and eye expression are good.keep up the good work.-----brosalia

Driverdog
05-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Overall, I find the composition and choice of colors pleasing and harmonious. I think you've handled her body's shading nicely. The only things that doesn't seem right to me are the size of her head in proportion to her body. Seems a bit small to me. And I would also agree with tgsloth that the background is a bit trite. If you toned down the background, the viewer could focus in on the figure more. I might even suggest that you could overpaint with some dry brushing of subtle greys or maybe a warmer color that it would complement the figure nicely.
Amber

dgford
05-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Beautifully handled. Full of vitality and with a great awareness of body structure. I agree with the comments about the background but my main concern is with the connection of the arms at the armpits. They need softening a little to prevent the feeling that the arms have been inserted into "holding sockets" ! You have very hard edges in both of them. Apart from that --- I wish I had painted it!

La_
05-09-2008, 01:23 AM
she is quite a beauty and blues are such a wonderful array of colors in themselves and mixed with other blues.

i have but one pick to share and it's of the curve in a womans body that joins back to butt ... tho your depiction has just the right curves, me thinks it better slightly raised, see below morph ... i also played with the shoulder but paint shop is not my strong suit so just ignore that, sorry : )

very nice, vibrant, healthy young woman, nice facial features (a tad small/pinched), a sexy mama one might say, good job

la
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2008/84648-Image1.jpg

Swe
05-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi brosalia, driverdog, dgford, and La, thanks for all your C/C .