PDA

View Full Version : Silver?

scall0way
04-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I posted this picture over in the SPS from my latest still life class with Christina Debarry:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492422

Apples on a silver serving plate. It was fun to do, but trying to create the likeness of a shiny silver with pastels is an interesting challenge to say the least. In fact quite a few of the students in the class were agonizing over it. Christina told us not to use gray, as gray is a "dead" color- and gave us other ideas we could use. I'm embarrassed to say I can't recall what she said as she was talking to another student, and I was so zoned in on my painting that I had pretty much tuned her out, :lol:.

But I heard this other student wailing that she could *not* do it without using her grays, and finally Christina said, "well if you want to use your grays then just use them! I can make suggestions, but it's *your* painting, so you have to do what you have to do." or words to that affect.

Naturally that made me quite determined not to use a single gray in my own painting, though I would likely not have done so anyway. I love bright colors so my grays get used pretty seldom. Though I *do* use my blacks and whites.

But it just made me wonder if others had any tips or tricks up their sleeves that they felt worked well when trying to create a silver-appearing surface? I guess similar tips could apply to gold or copper as well.

dvantuyl
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Debbie, I looked at your painting and it looks like silver. I have not attempted painting something silver, however, I have done water, with reflections and silver would simply reflect everything around it, only in blur form. You did a great job.

On using gray, I would agree that you would not use it for your painting unless there was something gray being reflected, then you would.

Those are my thoughts.............

formerlyunknownart
04-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi Debbie,

Interesting thought. I did this silver piece some time ago now and it stops people in thier tracts... I did use grey, purple/grey, blue, white, ochre... soooo hmmm...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2008/71338-three_piece_flute_resized.JPG

formerlyunknownart
04-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh , btw... beautiful painting!