PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Greene Pastelist

zedek
04-25-2008, 05:04 AM
has anyone seen Daniel Greene's work? it's amazing! My question is, does he use brushes for pastel painting? I checked out his link about learning how to paint in pastels and it looks like he has a brush. Wouldn't this brush off pastels?

plindley
04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Recently I used a very rough ground and the only way I could blend was to apply strokes of pastel, blend them with a relatively stiff oil painting brush, and then press the pastel into the ground with my finger tip. It only works on relatively large areas (not fine detail). You can also use a brush when you do underpainting with alcohol or turpenoid (I have never done it but you can find articles on-line about it). Not sure what kind of brush effects you are referring to....

BruceF
04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I've seen his pastel videos and never noticed a brush being used. Some people do use a brush for blending or wiping off 'mistakes'.

But, he also paints in oils. So, I'd guess the brush you saw is for that.

chewie
04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
daniel greene is one of the foremost pastelists of our time, esp for portraiture. i have one of his videos, and its a gem. some of the information i could apply within the day! and most of it was easy to understand and somehow it stuck in my little head too! his skin tones are simply perfection! i also did not see a brush in the pastel video, that i can remember.

Donna A
04-26-2008, 01:25 AM
I've watched him demo in real life several times over the last 20 years or so---and---no---he does not use a brush.

One thing about using a brush is that it puts the pigment dust very easily into the air to breath! And that is sooo NOT good!

And---there are sooo many ways of stroking on pastels that look and are very painterly---and while we may associate them with the 'look' of an oil painting or something else we may use of a brush---it does not require a brush to create. It does, however, take getting a feel for the pastels---and time and experience of experimenting. Very best wishes! Donna ;-}