PDA

View Full Version : study of boy standing in red boat

2003maryann
04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-24-2008/20472_CLOSEUPif_st_in_bt.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-24-2008/20472_standing_in_red_bt_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-24-2008/20472_stand_in_bt_fini.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: study of boy standing in red boat
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 7x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was reding the book Painting with light by Schlemn and I tried her demonstration of boy standing in red boat. Very exciting picture didn't think I could do it Archers 140lb cold press really makes a difference. all comments welcomed, I stitched the left side and right side of the painting and then presened my first attempt and finally the finished piece.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Just tell it straight and let me know what I could inprove in this painting.

Barbie Bud
04-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I really like it. All the colors in the water are great. I like the boy in the boat and then my eye travels on back to the building in the background. Barb

creodont
04-25-2008, 12:50 AM
a lot of movement. not just brush strokes but even the colours do not stand still.You feel the wind pick up in those sails. At Newport the races that go on with young boys and girls is competitive and strenuous...well done..........john

2003maryann
04-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Thank you Barb and John. Maybe one of you can help me, I wanted to post this in WC forum gallery and tried 3 times then the wifi went, when it came back on I went to open critique, it is easier to post here, so simple that I can do it. Can one of you send this to WC forum as a new thread and delete it from theopen critique forum so it won't be considered twice at the same time?
Best regards Mary ann

tgsloth
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
First of all, you've got multiple images and you haven't said which is most representative of the actual painting. Having seen one of your previous posts, I'm guessing that it's the third, lighter value one, and that the final, more contrasty image is enhanced by photoshop. Assuming that's the case, it's the one I like best. A watercolor painting where light is a major player should be high key IMO.

As to a critique, I feel your treatment of the water, colorful boat hulls and sails is just magnificent. You seem to have created a loose signature style such that anyone could recognize one of your paintings and this is something that has entirely evaded me. The only weak point to my eyes is that the composition is a bit crowded.

I think if you had not added some of the background details such as the building and small boat at the upper left, the painting would have more punch.

Blayne
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I think the various elements in this painting are done extremely well--water, sails, boats are all beautiful. The stiffness of the boy's back bothers me. Also IMO the landscape behind the house needs more definition so that one can tell it is land, not sea. The house seems to be floating in the ocean.

Ronni
04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I loved Blaynes comments! The floating house is great!
I enjoy your painting a lot, it reminds me of Renoir.

2003maryann
04-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. The third painting is the finished painting and it is Not computer enhanced. My original looks just like this. I was very surprised since it is a WC how much debt the archers paper itself enhanced the painting.
The boys back is interesting since I actually was concentrating on how his legs would absorb the boats swaying I might have not been observant enough about the back, Thanks Blaynes.
Wow , ronnie, Renoir! If only!
Remember everyone, this is painted from a demonstration in a painting with light book by Schlemn. Her paintings seems to have over crowded events.
I tried to discern all as best I could. Her technique in paint strokes is very definite and large strokes. I did blend more than she did. If I get the chance I will try to scan her finished picture, then you will see the difference.
I did exactly that, tried not to define the buildings, more free with my approach. Appreciate your comments,
Best regards mary ann