PDA

View Full Version : Second creation - 'one foot on the ground'

plindley
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-24-2008/139011_Pat_s_painting_pictures_002_edited.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Second creation - 'one foot on the ground'
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 20 x 26
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my second pastel piece... I was inspired to move to pastels (well, sort of slide over really) from watercolours (which I still do). I am fairly happy with the horse (though I have looked at it so long, perhaps I am not seeing the flaws) but the trees bother me a bit. I would appreciate suggestions. THe ground is dark green sanded pastelbord... I think Sennelier.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Are the values correct?<br>WHat could be done to improve the trees?<br>Are the horse and the rider correct?

tgsloth
04-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice job.
I notice a couple of points. The horse's neck seems a bit short and the same for the rider's leg. And you've somehow created a light value outline around the horse's body which seperates the animal from the rest of the painting. Actually you want to blend the edges much more. I further suggest that the red tree is a poor choice as it grabs the eye away from the horse and looks like its branches are just touching the horse's head. I would stick with more muted colors in the background.
Do you like that Sennelier card? I find it rips a bit too easily but maybe I'm too ham handed.

plindley
04-24-2008, 04:49 PM
THanks.. I never noticed the light highlight but you are right. Will adjust it. I think the rider's head might be too large and that is what is making the rest of the body seem too short... I see what you mean about the red tree.... was trying to add some variety to an otherwise massive sea of green. The ref photo had a big trailer in the background which was too distracting.

I like the Sennelier card... it certainly accepts the pastel beautifully... am going to try Colorfix next...

crazywoman53
04-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I like you composition.. it reminds me of the English paintings. In addition to the things noted above I think the thing I want to see the most on this painting is a stronger break in the values.. darker darks..and some brighter colors on the horse to bring it forward. Right now it is almost as if the entire painting is all the same value with the exception of the man on the horse. It might just be the photograph though. I'm looking for that zing and not finding it in the values but overall I think it is a nice painting.

Dana Design
04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
This may be a good example of not stepping back to survey the entire painting often enough.

Anyway, agree that it needs more of a value shift on the horse and in the bg. The red tree and the red blotches behind the rider don't seem compatible with the rest of the painting. Adding some shadow to the saddle blanket would also be my suggestion. It seems too allover white.

tonyjazz
04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Patricia: You've gotten some great advice here. Red is a powerful color and that red evergreen moves the eye towards it. The second lower fence seems out of perspective in relation to the painting. Your horse could use some shadows to ground it more. I like the colors you used on the rider and horse. Sometimes looking at a painting in a mirror helps see things in a different way, and looking at it upside down also reveals other details. TJ

plindley
04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks Tony... the red tree may be going or at least changing... it is the wrong shape for the colour and the colour seems to be an issue!... am going to print out a version of the painting on paper and experiment. The lower (white) fence is a not a fence at all, but a dressage ring boundary so it is actually pretty close to being the right height.... but you would have to be a rider to know that! the shadows are there but pretty subtle and don't show in the photo image. Because of the angle of the sun (high) they fall pretty much behind the lower white fence. I agree that they should be strengthened. Thanks EVERYONE... this has been great!